Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Unity ❯ Unity 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Unity

Chapter three:

A hospital in Germany:

A doctor and nurse walked down the aisle, they were going to see a patient that had been brought in about half a week ago.

"He seems to be over fifty, with a rather muscular complexion," the nurse informed, "He carried no I.D. and has been too weak to speak ever since we brought him. In fact, he just recovered consciousness a few hours ago, which is why I called you."

"You did well," the doctor relied as he checked the charts. When said man had been brought in he was utterly exhausted, completely depleted of all energy, the reason was never discovered. "Well, the least we can do now is find out who he is and inform the family, they must be worried sick." They got to the door and she opened the door for him.

"Sir, we would like you to-Was?" The room was empty. They looked all around and found something unusual, the window had iron bars for safety reasons, and they were bent open. "He looked strong, but there's no way he could've done this."

"And even if he did, we're on the tenth floor!" the doctor rubbed his temple desperately; he started to think about where and how the man had been found and added it to this. "Call security, call everyone! We must find him now!"

But the one they were so nervous for was already very far away, with only one thought in mind: warn his friend.

*****

Xavier's school:

Rogue and another girl were in the rec-room, sitting on the couch and watching the news, she was the same age as Rogue, but her hair was shoulder length and colored white, not just a streak. She also wore a black collar with a small device on it.

It'd been two days since the concert, and all that had been on the news were riot reports. Everywhere in New York the police and paramedics found large groups of unconscious people, all of them battered and bruised.

"It's terrifying how everyone is becoming more and more violent," the brunette said, her companion nodded her agreement.

"What's creepy is the condition they find them in," a boy said as he approached from behind, "Hi Rogue, Kathy," he greeted as he leaned down and gave both girls a hug.

"Remy!" the pale girl shouted as she got away quickly, "How many times do I have to tell you not to do that?"

"Now cherie, Remy is always careful wherever he threads."

"Yeah right, very careful," she quipped sarcastically, "You know, if you fall into a coma, I won't feel sorry at all." Rogue's attention was drawn by Kathy snapping her fingers, the white-haired girl pointed at the boy and then knocked on her head. "I agree. But Remy, what did you mean by creepy?"

"Well, according to what I've heard, the people are always found knocked out, but for the most part, not from the fight. The doctors say they are found in a state of extreme tiredness and they can't figure out why." Kathy pointed at the other girl with a questioning gaze. "You think it's an energy-drainer? That's a good guess."

"Well I could never do something like that," Rogue protested mildly, "Plus, I'd go insane with the thoughts of so many people in my head."

"I hear you. But it seems to me that whoever is doing all this is already crazy." Kathy gestured her opinion with twirling hands and a pull-apart motion, fit to be tied.

*****

Downtown Manhattan:

Setsuna, Hotaru and Chibi-Usa were making the most of the weather with a leisurely stroll. The outers decided that their best strategy would be to sit back and observe for a while, until they knew enough to act properly. Two things were top priority: one, the continuous riots, and two, the X-Men. Every now and then they were mentioned on the news, helping out at large scale robberies, fires and other such situations. The reports were short and not very thorough, in fact they consisted of little more than speculations. Still, they were the best source for information so far. Haruka admitted the X-Men's efficiency, but wasn't sure whether they'd be enough to stop this threat that was turning people into mutants. Hotaru was starting to have second thoughts about her initial suspicions, if the mutants were really weapons, they wouldn't be allowed so much free will, fighting for both the sides of good and evil. Plus, she wasn't going to let her parents now, but she was starting to admire this uncanny team.

"All in all, this has been a great trip," Setsuna commented, "It's only been a few days and we've seen practically everything."

"And the city has so much left to offer," the odango-headed princess added, "I just wish we were allowed more time for sightseeing."

"I have to go back to school Chibi-Usa-chan, and you must return to your home in Crystal Tokyo," Hotaru mentioned, the last part with a hint of sadness.

"Actually, I meant that we have to do things here as senshi." Her companions stopped cold and Chibi-Usa faced them with an amused smile. "You didn't really think I was oblivious to the situation, ne? I'm aware of the disturbances, and I know I'm obligated to do something about it. What would okousan say if I stood idly while the rest of you fight?"

"You surprised me, Small Lady, I should have known it was foolish to try and hide our intentions."

"Hai," the pale girl agreed, "I'm sure your mother would be proud if she could see you here and now."

"Well," the pink-haired girl blushed a little, "it was really just a bunch of talk, we can't really do anything until we know what has to be done." She twirled and gave out her most kawaii smile. "So until then, lets concentrate on having fun, I still haven't found out if New York hot-dogs are as good as they say." Setsuna face-faulted and Hotaru rolled her eyes, no matter how much she would mature, Chibi-Usa would always be that playful girl she met at the park that windy day. A melancholic melody caught the amethyst-eyed girl's attention.

"A jazz café! Setsuna-mama, can we go listen to them, please?"

"You two go ahead," the emerald-haired woman conceded, "I just saw something that I have to buy." Grinning, the girls crossed the street and went to the farthest end of the block. Setsuna made sure they got to their destination before entering the shop, but she hardly got through the threshold when she heard and felt an explosion. "Hime-chan, Small Lady!!" She tried to sprint towards them but the storeowner swiftly held her by the arms.

"Where do you think you're going? It's dangerous out there!"

"But…" there was nothing she could do but look helplessly at the growing chaos.

"Chibi-Usa-chan, are you all right?" Hotaru asked with a shaky tone.

"Hai, I just feel a little warm, that's all." The explosion had been in the center of the block, a safe distance from the girls, also, it looked more violent than it really was. Still, there were many injured, and the violet-haired girl had to tend to them. Both girls quickly found focus points to help guide them through the very chaotic situation. "Come on sir, let's get you somewhere safe," the pink-haired girl said as she helped someone carry a victim. Hotaru came up to someone with a nasty wound in his leg, she put her hand upon it and healed it. She was a little worried, but people were going to be too busy and scared to care or react anyway, but someone did take notice of what she did.

"Hey!" The pale girl was startled when she felt a hand on her shoulder, she turned and saw a black girl with long, white hair. "You think you can do that again?"

"Umm, hai, as often as I want to."

"Good, follow me." Ororo led the child to one of the burning shops, Chibi-Usa saw them and caught up.

"We won't be able to get to the people inside," the princess said as she shielded herself from the heat, "We must wait for the firefighters."

"The ones inside can't wait," the ebony girl realized. The Japanese girls saw her eyes become white and caught the smell of dampness. They were awestruck when small rain-clouds appeared and poured over the flames. "Our path stands clear, let's go!"

It wasn't as bad inside as it first seemed, all the trapped people needed was for the fire at the door to be doused. Plus, there was someone inside moving the debris out of the way, Hotaru was surprised yet again when she recognized him.

"You?" Logan turned upon hearing the familiar voice.

"Save your greetings for the end kid, we got a lot of work to do." He sniffed around for more people, which was hard because of the smoke, but he managed to find someone. The four went to a fallen beam, which was pinning a woman down, it wasn't heavy, but was caught inside the wall and impossible to move. "You three take hold of this thing as I cut it. Ready?"

"Ready," Chibi-Usa answered, "After all I've seen, whatever it is you're going to do, won't surprise me." (SNIKT) "I was wrong." Logan sliced the hardwood with just one swipe, and with teamwork, the four tossed it aside, freeing the woman.

So it went, Ororo put out the fires, Logan helped the people out, Hotaru tended to the seriously injured and Chibi-Usa, having no special power in this form, comforted the frightened children. The arrival of the authorities sped up the rescues, and soon, there was only one man left.

"Ara, that's the worst one I've seen so far!" Hotaru exclaimed as she saw the burn on the man's shoulder, "Hold still." He noticed the violet glow coming from her hand and pushed her away.

"Don't you use your freaky powers on me, you mutie-Urk!" Logan tackled and held him down with his left arm.

"You be a good boy and take your medicine, or else," the feral man threatened while aiming his claws towards the idiot's face. Feeling a bit startled, Hotaru got up again and healed him. "Good, now show your manners."

"Thank you," the man said in a whiny voice and ran off when he was released.

"That was kind of fun," the pale girl admitted, "I guess sometimes you must be cruel to be kind." Suddenly, she started to feel faint.

"You okay kid?" Logan asked as he held her up.

"Ie, I think I used too much of my power." She wanted to kneel and rest but he wouldn't let her.

"Come on now, stay awake." Chibi-Usa and Ororo came up at that moment. "I can feel a bump on her head and she tired herself out, we gotta get her to the hospital."

"No," the white-haired girl replied, "They've been too busy there lately and she needs attention immediately. It'll be best if we take her to the school."

"Matte!" the ruby-eyed girl protested as she followed them into Logan's jeep, "you can't just take Hotaru-chan like that, we have to find Puu and let her know."

"There's no time, child," Ororo said, "You'll simply have to get in touch with your parents later."

Setsuna had convinced the storeowner to release her shortly after the explosion occurred and began to look for her child and liege. The search would have taken her no time at all, but there were a lot of people who needed help and she couldn't ignore them, she knew Hotaru wouldn't either. Soon, the danger was over and the emerald-haired woman could concentrate on finding the girls, she went to the authorities and asked for Chibi-Usa, who would be easier to identify.

"Yeah, I saw her," a paramedic said, "weirdest hairstyle I've ever seen. She's over there with the other children."

"I see, arigato." She walked over to where she was told but didn't find the princess.

"She was here a moment ago, she was really nice," a little boy informed, "I think she went over to her friend."

"That's right," and older girl commented, "a girl with dark-purple jeans. They left with a couple of grown-ups in an old jeep."

"They left with strangers?" Setsuna exclaimed in an upset voice. She thanked the children and stepped aside to think clearly. Hime-chan has always possessed more sense than that; she wouldn't just leave with anyone. An old jeep, an old jeep-She snapped her fingers when she realized what had happened. "Of course, it has to be him!" The emerald-haired woman rushed back to the hotel, she was going to need Michiru's Aqua mirror.

*****

The Underground:

"Defense Rob, defense!" Cloud cheered. Robert was fighting a morlock with the ability of extending dark whips from his arms; it was his toughest battle so far. For the last two days, the morlocks have been holding a tournament to decide who would lead this rebellion against the surface. The stone-scarred one managed to advance to the semifinals with very little effort, and although this was a difficult fight, his victory was assured. Everyone in Robert's colony was happy for him, except little Jennifer.

"This is wrong," the orange-skinned girl said, "he's not wining because of his power."

"What are you talking about sis?" Cloud asked, "Sure he's using his powers, unless he can do something else besides turning into lava."

"Why won't you understand!?" Jenny shouted as she bolted away from the crowd, her brother followed worriedly. "Something's giving him that strength and it's going to destroy all of us."

"Now Jenny," the gray-skinned man reprimanded, "don't you start that story again. Almost every telepath from all the colonies searched the tunnels and found nothing, and there's no way you can sense something they didn't."

"Because I'm a child, right?" the girl shouted with tear-filled eyed, "I saw our parents die, Cloud. You think I have any desire left for games?" She ran away from there, Cloud was left speechless. He thought carefully about Jenny's suspicions. Robert had always been a capable fighter, but not an extraordinarily strong one. Now that he put his finger on it, Rob's power did seem to have increased greatly these last few days. A roar of victory put a halt to his musings, Cloud ran back to the crowd and was glad to see that his friend had won.

"Awesome Rob! Just three more fights to go." Maybe you're right, Jenny, maybe someone is making him stronger. But you're wrong in the last part, that thing is going to help us. "Go Rob, go!"

*****

Queens, Stevens' campaign H.Q.:

Jack's efforts were beginning to pay off, he'd finally managed to get enough support and signatures to run for political office, true, it was still early to run for mayor, but not too much to start gaining favors in Washington.

"I guarantee it Jim, these muties are up to something and the best way to stop them is to show them how strong we are, that were not helpless kids."

"Jack, were not talking about weapons here, were talking about the weapons, the ones that will give us the edge on the war against mutation. But using them just like that will cause a panic throughout a city as large as New York, and a worse situation if we have nothing to justify it with."

"There will be a cause," the mousy-haired man replied as he banged his fist on the desk, "Suppose the mutants decide to blow up Times Square, and then you bring that project of yours. The people are going to blame us, they're going to say that we could've done something but didn't. Does that sound like something better?" There was a minute long pause after that question.

"I'll be there first thing tomorrow Jack, but you haven't convinced me yet. I have to see for myself whether such measures are necessary."

"Fair enough, we'll keep in touch." Stevens hung up and turned his attention towards Michael, who had entered the office a moment ago, with him was a blonde man with a mustache and goatee.

"Sir, my companion comes in representation of a benefactor who wishes to remain anonymous. And let me tell you, this sum is something that will help us a lot." He gave his leader the check and the mousy-haired man fell back on his seat.

"Wow!" he got up and stretched the blonde man's hand, "Allow me to be the first to thank you Mr.…"

"Doe, John Doe, I know it's silly but I'd also like to keep my identity a secret."

"We understand," the indigo-haired man said after the laughter ceased, "The mutants have all sorts of freaky abilities. Who's to say they won't kill you in your sleep if they find out about benefactors to our cause?"

"Umm, yeah, who's to say," John replied, there was something amiss in his tone, "But please don't thank me, like my boss says: 'A penny spent on a mutant's death, is a penny well spent'."

"Very well spent," Stevens corrected, "This gesture has assured the future and peace of mind of millions of pure blooded humans. Michael, cash in the check and spend it on both the campaign and supplies for my, er, more radical followers."

"I'm afraid that will be a problem," he blonde man indicated, "That check is postdated and can't be cashed in until a few days from now. Safety reasons you know."

"Hmm, I know. My thanks to you once more. Michael will lead you outside and let everyone know that you now have free access through my headquarters at any time."

"I'm honored." Both men left the office and headed for the door. John Doe was smiling inwardly, the plan was coming along perfectly. The check had no funds actually, it was merely a decoy in order to get this close to the bigoted leader, the real money was going to be given to him, correction, to her, after completing a certain bloody assignment.

*****

The Hotel:

"Don't you feel just a little guilty about having this picnic at Central Park without the others?" Michiru asked, "I mean, we're not sure whether we'll have the chance again."

"Hai, but who's to say when the two of us will have another chance to be alone together," Haruka answered, "I know I sound selfish, but we're going to one of the most beautiful spots in New York and I want you all to myself," she added as she embraced and kissed her love.

"Hmm, you have such convincing power," the aqua-haired girl hummed as she toyed with the racer's hair, "maybe afterwards, we'll have some more quality time together." The phone rang at that moment, sighing, Michiru answered. The sand-blonde went over to finish packing the picnic basket, that's when Setsuna rushed into the room.

"Michiru-san, I need you mirror!"

"Matte, Setsuna-san! Michiru's at the phone. What's wrong, and for that matter, where are Hime-chan and Chibi-Usa-chan?" The time guardian retold the whole story from her point of view, which eliminated Haruka's good mood. "You baka! How could you allow such a thing to happen?"

"Oh, I suppose I should've seen that explosion coming and know where everyone is all of the time!" The emerald-haired held out her hand and took a deep breath, "I didn't come here to argue, I came here to find where our daughter is. So let's get Michiru-san and use the mirror."

"That won't be necessary," the violinist announced, "Remember the couple you mentioned, Scott-san and Jean-san?" the other two nodded, "I'll sum it up in two words: small world."

*****

Xavier's School, an hour later:

"'Gifted youngsters'," Haruka read, "I wonder what they mean by that."

"Probably smart," Setsuna guessed. She looked through the window, the size of the place was incredible; large, well kept gardens, sporting grounds, and of course, the enormous mansion. The sight that pleased her most was all of the students having fun, the younger children made her heart feel especially light.

"This is a boarding school," Michiru observed, "not only do they study, these kids live here. The lack of uniforms is a bit unusual, but what makes me wonder is why they're still here during the summer."

"Aren't your eyes open?" Haruka asked teasingly, "Don't you think this is a good enough place to spend your vacation at?" She leaned back on her seat, "Besides, most of their parents must be rich bastards with better things to do than spend time with their kids."

"Hai, you're probably right," Setsuna replied as she leaned back on her seat. "Nani?"

"What is it?"

"Umm, nothing, I just thought I saw a girl run through a tree."

Jean was the one to open the front door for them.

"Setsuna, Haruka, Michiru Kaioh! I'm so glad you could make it," the redhead greeted. The Japanese trio entered and saw three more people standing there. "Scott you've already met, these are Ororo and Professor Charles Xavier."

"We're all honored to meet you, Xavier-sama," the mocha-skinned woman greeted and bowed on her sisters' behalf, "Gomen, we don't mean to be rude, but could you please-"

"Lead you to where the girls are," the older man completed, "of course. I have some work to do, so my students will lead you to the infirmary."

"Actually I got some stuff to do as well, so Jean and Ororo will be the ones to take you," Scott excused himself, "but we have to meet and talk later in the day, okay?"

"You've got a deal Scott-kun," Haruka replied.

As they walked down the aisles, the emerald-haired woman observed the ambiance and the students who passed by. Some of them appeared normal, others had a very sour expression, and a few held excited conversations that the time guardian couldn't figure out at first.

"So you met up with Chibi-Usa-chan and Hime-chan while helping the people in the fire," Haruka commented as she shook her head.

"That's right," Ororo responded, "The minute I saw her healing ability I knew she would be of great help."

"You saw her power?" the sand-blonde replied in surprise. Well, that didn't really matter, her pale daughter tried healing people at every opportunity. What made her upset was something else. "I understand how she could provide aid. But how could you endanger our Hime-chan?"

"Haruka, please calm down," Michiru requested.

"I made sure that none of the girls was in danger," Ororo said in an annoyed tone, "Besides, a fire that size meant nothing against my power." Ororo was of a humble nature, but her time in Africa, where she was considered a goddess, left her with a bit of pride that arose every now and then.

"Your power?" The outers came to a halt at one time with their eyes opened wide. Jean slapped her forehead.

"Yes," she said in an exasperated tone, "I'm sorry we didn't tell you right away, but we were waiting for the right moment. If only Ororo hadn't been so impatient…"

"Hmph! Haruka's the one who started it," the ebony girl protested as she spun and crossed her arms. "(Sigh) But you're right, I should have considered the children's safety." She turned again, "I'm sorry."

"That's okay," Michiru answered, "Haruka here knows a thing or two about being impetuous. But please go on, Jean-san."

"Right," Jean continued, "Ororo and I, as well as everyone else in the school, have abilities like Hotaru's." To illustrate, the redhead drew their attention to a small vase; surprise made another appearance when it started floating.

"Telekinesis," Setsuna guessed, "What about you, Ororo-san?"

"This." The white-haired girl raised her hands, Setsuna and Michiru felt a small breeze billow their long hair. The aqua-haired one even giggled playfully. "Not only can I control the winds, but electricity, rain and snow as well"

She's a combination of Ami-chan, Mako-chan and myself, the racer thought. She shivered inwardly when she imagined all the power that meant.

"Then 'gifted'," Michiru deduced, "means the gift of your muta-er-powers."

"Powers, mutations, you may use whichever term you prefer," Jean assured, "as long as it's not a derogative one."

"Of course," Setsuna complied, "In truth, this whole mutation thing is quite new to us. There are a lot of strange occurrences in Japan, but they're of a more magical nature."

"That sounds interesting," Ororo said, "Now, Hotaru is being tended to by Henry, and there's something you must know about his particular mutation."

"It's about his appearance, ne?" the emerald-haired woman guessed, "We'll act in our best behavior. No matter what he looks like, he is helping our Hime-chan." The mutant pair smiled approvingly and knocked on the door before them.

"Come in," a deep voice answered. The group entered and the outers were still shocked despite their preparations. Hotaru's heartbeat was being checked by, at best description, a blue-furred, animal-like something wearing a white coat and reading-glasses. Chibi-Usa was sitting in a stool at the far end of the room and was the one to notice their presence.

"Minna-san, you're here!" the pink-haired girl ran up to them, embracing Setsuna "Gomen Puu, we didn't mean to scare you like that, but we needed to get Hotaru-chan to a doctor."

"I understand Small Lady, there's no need to apologize," the time guardian rose and went up to the metal table, "Do you feel all right Hime-chan?"

"Hai, Setsuna-mama, McCoy-sama is much better than any other doctor I've ever met before," the pale girl complemented as she buttoned up her blouse.

"I'm glad to hear that," the emerald-haired woman held out her hand, "Domo arigato, McCoy-san, it is an honor to meet you."

"The honor is all mine," the furry man replied as he greeted the rest, "especially you, Miss Kaioh. I believe Jean told you that I'm a great admirer of your music."

"Umm, hai, Haruka let me know after the concert." There was a bit of nervousness in Michiru's voice, which Henry easily noticed.

"If my appearance bothers you, I understand perfectly."

"Ie, it's not that!" she hurried to say, "It's just that I, well," she blushed and shrunk in embarrassment, "You, umm, you remind me of a plush toy I had as a child." Everyone stared at the aqua-haired girl in amusement, whose face was becoming even redder. Finally, Henry broke the tension with a hearty laugh.

"That is surely one of the best compliments I've ever received."

"Michiru is quite good at that," Haruka said, "But we forgot to ask, how is Hime-chan?"

"Quite well in fact, all she has is a small bump in her head and a little fatigue. Overall, she's in perfect condition." He checked the display on a hand-held computer, "She could use some more calcium in her diet though."

"Hai, we've been trying to do something about that."

"Haruka-papa…"

"If you have the time, we'd like to show you around the school," Ororo invited.

"We thank you for the offer," Haruka answered, "but I'm afraid we-" she caught sight of Hotaru's and Chibi-Usa's pleading gazes, "Then again, we didn't plan anything that can't be done another day." The younger girls cheered upon hearing this.

"Terrific," Jean said, "David, Bobby, could you come in here a second?" Two boys, one blonde and one dark-haired entered the room, the telekinetic had felt them walking by. "Could you please show Hotaru and Chibi-Usa around? I'm sure they would get bored if they tag along with us grown ups."

"Sure thing Jean," the fair-haired Bobby answered. The kids introduced themselves and went outside, the adults went on to see other places in the mansion.

*****

Brooklyn:

By now, a lot of people had heard about the explosion at Manhattan, and the majority had certain suspicions. A group of Stevens' most avid, and violent, followers were readying their weapons. One of them was at the site and saw a kid running away from there, and what an unwilling-to-listen hater would deduce is quite predictable.

"Are you sure the mutie is where you say?"

"Yeah, I saw where he was headin'. There's a great hiding place in that direction, I used to use it a lot when I was a kid."

"Well, it's not going to do the freak any good," the brush-head finished loading his rifle, "Let's go hunting."

From among the shadows, a creature watched as the posse left the room.

"Go to the hunt, stoke your hate and make me stronger."