Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Unmei wa Utsukushiku ❯ Enter Ami and Rei ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Before reading:

I do not claim own of Sailor Moon or any related indicia. Characters that I have created will be listed before each chapter if they appear in said chapter, and I do not mind you using my characters in your stories, if you ask.

Because I rarely receive feedback on my fan fictions, I would enjoy it very much if you would read and review this story. If you have an offensive review, please e-mail it to me instead of posting it in the reviews section, however if you are only criticizing, putting it in the review section is more than welcome. Thank you.

Extra:

The length of time given in this story for the ball seems short, however, if you read closely, you will see that Serenity was to know about this ball previously, and her mother was going to remind her. So, this ball had been planned previously as an eleventh birthday party.

My Characters in this Chapter:

Queen Gia

Prince Ceres

Kohaku

-------------- ----------------

A beautiful palace sat lonely on top of a hill, but today this lonely palace would be alive with royal families from all over the solar system for one girl. This particular girl was the Princess of the Moon, and this particular ball was not only an eleventh birthday party, but something more. Today would change the course of the young girl's life, along with the lives of four other princesses.

"Serenity? Darling?" rang Queen Selenity's voice through the large marble bed chamber as the young princess began to stir. "Serenity, dear. We need to talk." Serenity sat up and rubbed her eyes, trying to focus on her mother. Just as her vision cleared, she noticed Luna and Artemis standing in the corner of the room along with Kohaku.

A sweet smile from Artemis returned her gaze, but Serenity detected a hint of sadness and regret. Then it hit her. Artemis was the reason she was betrothed to a man she had been told horrible stories about, but worse than that, Artemis had known about Ceres all along, but never mentioned it. Her own guardian failed to protect her from him. Was that why he looked so sad?

"I tried to remind you that your ball was today, but you wouldn't speak to me last night, and I didn't dare try to come into your room. I'm sorry about not telling you about Ceres before, but he does not love you." She lowered head as she spoke. "I'm sorry to have had you betrothed, but you mustn't blame Artemis. It was my decision." Serenity blinked, still wondering about Artemis' sadness and then slowly registered what her mother had said. "Today's ball is not only a birthday party anymore. It has become your congratulations party as well." Selenity looked up at Serenity.

A silence filled the room as everyone waited for Serenity to speak. "You said it's today?" She stood up and unruffled her night gown. "Then I must change and prepare. I would like to make a nice impression on my future husband." A smile worked it's way on to everyone's faces as Selenity pulled her only daughter into a hug. Almost instantly, Kohaku pulled a gown from a wardrobe cabinet and without a word, Selenity and Artemis left Kohaku and Luna to get the princess ready for her ball.

"Kohaku? I want to apologize for my behavior last night. I was out of line. I should have never argued with you." Serenity said as Kohaku began to put Serenity's hair into ondango style. "I was wrong about him anyway. I feel so stupid."

"Princess, don't be hard on yourself," came Luna's voice. Luna was tall woman with long black hair. She was a guardian for Serenity along with Artemis. "You are young. You thought what he gave you was love. Love blinded you." She stood there for a minute thinking to herself, about Artemis Serenity assumed.

"Oh, Princess. I would never hold anything against you. Besides, this is your day. You must be excited! Please don't worry about me." Kohaku said, finishing Serenity's hair. "Now that's enough talk. Let's get you in your gown."

The day was full of people running around frantically, preparing for the upcoming ball. Selenity was sitting in her room, preparing as well. Only she wasn't preparing herself to look nice, but to reveal something bigger. There was something horrible happening outside of the Moon Kingdom, and it was time to do something she hadn't wanted to do until Serenity was fourteen years of age. Now was the time, and the ball would reveal all.

Princess Serenity walked into the ballroom, how half full with guests. Her gown was white with lace and yellow designs across the fabric, adding to the elegance of the occasion. She walked solemnly across the room, dreading the meeting of Prince Endimion. Just as she was ready to leave into another room, she spotted one of her greater friends.

Standing in the corner with a General of Mercury, Serenity saw Princess Ami of Mercury. She was wearing an ocean blue silk dress with a beautiful blue sash that made Serenity slightly jealous. "Princess Ami!" she called and walked toward the two. Ami looked up and almost screamed at the site of Serenity. They had not seen each other since Serenity's ninth birthday party, and they were long overdue for a meeting. Serenity pulled Ami into a tight hug and only released her when she felt Ami would need air. "I've missed you."

"I have missed you, too." Ami said, backing away to avoid another hug. After seeing Serenity's odd glance at Zoisite, Ami realized that they had not met. "Serenity, this is Sir Zoisite. He in a general in the Mercury Guard." Zoisite reached forward and kissed Serenity's hand, making her blush deeply.

"Princess." Zoisite said, bowing slightly. Serenity giggled slightly and noticed Ami's uneasy look.

"Ami, what's the matter?" asked Serenity, concerned about the look.

"Oh nothing. Really. I'm just sort of surprised at your calmness. Aren't you betrothed to Prince Endimion of Earth?" Zoisite's eyebrows raised as he looked to Serenity. Apparently all of Serenity's friends knew about the betrothal. Word traveled fast in the Planetary Kingdoms.

"Oh, yes. I am nervous. I've heard so many stories about him from Ceres." She froze as she remembered the night before.

"Prince Ceres is from Earth as well, is he not?" asked Zoisite.

"Yes, he is," replied Serenity, trying not to cry.

"Don't worry, Serenity-chan. I'm sure everything will be fine in the end. You'll see. Maybe it is all just rumors." Ami reassured her.

"Thank you, Ami-chan," replied Serenity with a smile.

"I heard a story that he killed a bird because it snipped one of his roses." Zoisite said randomly, striking up an instant conversation.

"I have heard worse!" cried Ami. "I heard, from my mother, that Prince Endimion killed someone! They had come to see the legendary garden, and then stepped on a few when he was examining a high shelve. They say Prince Endimion hit him in the head with a gardening tool. Now no one is allowed inside the garden. Not even his own mother."

Zoisite laughed. "That sounds like every other story I've heard. Apparently Prince Endimion has hurt many people over his garden. There was one woman who claimed to have a scar from when he scraped her back with a rake. She had picked a few flowers for her sick mother. I never saw a scar though."

Serenity looked uneasy for a moment and then Ami chimed in again. "I bet it's all lies. He's probably a smart man, reading all about the rose. I've never even seen a real rose, only pictures. They are beautiful flowers."

"Yes, because reading about a rose will make you smarter," teased Zoisite.

"Well at least he would be reading. Something you should try."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah!"

Their fight blazed on and Serenity became restless. Just then, Rei, the Princess of Mars, came up behind her and gave her a huge hug. "Oh, Serenity-chan! I'm so sorry. I scryed in the fire for you. I saw the betrothal of you and Endimion, the fight between you and Ceres." Serenity looked shocked. She didn't think she told anyone about that.

Just then, Jaedite of the Mars Guard came up beside them. "She's lying. She can't scry yet. She heard her mother talking about it with Lord Mercury."

The group burst into laughter as Rei stuck her tongue out at Jaedite. Serenity was relieved to have the subject moved to things that had happened with Ami in the year no one saw her. Of course, this thought seemed to have jinxed the very idea, and Rei started in on Endimion. "Serenity-chan, I am sorry about your betrothal. Prince Endimion is a horrible man!"

"That's only your opinion, Rei," slipped in Jaedite. "I have met Endimion and he is not anything like all of these stories. Rumors can ruin anyone's reputation. Thing is, Endimion doesn't let the rumors bother him."

"You told me that Endimion hit you with the water hose because you said one of his flowers was dying! You even showed me were he hit you!" cried Rei, pointing at Jaedite.

"I showed you where I tripped and landed on a hose! There is a difference! You're such a child!" Jaedite said, poking her forehead. Rei pushed his hand aside and walked away, Jaedite hot on her tail. Ami flushed and looked at Zoisite who smiled at her. Serenity looked at them, unable to figure out why Ami flushed, but didn't have much time to wonder.

"I don't know if I believe Jaedite's story," said Ami. "I mean, he is trustworthy, but he seems to lie around Rei a lot."

"That's because he likes her," said Zoisite simply. He shrugged and looked over at the two arguing on the balcony. "That's his way of showing her he cares."

"Some way to say you care," said Serenity incredulously.

"Yeah, it's an attempt that will get him no where," shrugged Zoisite. "I'm not sure everyone takes that approach." Ami blushed and Serenity finally figured out why she was flushed earlier. The arguing must have reminded her of how she acts with Zoisite. Quickly, Ami turned the subject around once more.

"Serenity. I know everyone has said this, including me, but I want to say it again. I'm sorry. I really hope things work out for you.

Was Endimion really this cruel of a man? Her own mother had been thrilled all day as she prepared for this ball. Her mother would never have Serenity betrothed to a horrible person, unless he didn't know. What if her own mother didn't know the stories? Then she would be sending her daughter into a marriage meant to fail. Serenity was so confused, and even more scared.