Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Watch me Shine ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Author: Serenitas
Email: serenitai@sailormoon.com
Title: Watch me Shine - Chapter 1
Series: Sailor Moon


Usagi is not your average type of girl and she's going to show the world that there is strength in her that sometimes you can't see. From her head down to her toes, her mind body and soul, she's taking full control this time. Now watch her shine.


Hello all! Well as promised here is another story idea that came to me during a particularly vicious rainstorm in Japan here. May I just say that the beer here sucks? Give me good old Canadian brew anytime, but the music is great. This country is amazing and I recently discovered I can see Mt. Fuji from my front door…thank heavens I live on the 8th floor! So this is a story that I'm a bit up in the air over, so I'm going to do something I haven't done since my very first fanfiction so long ago and open up the polls… you'll see it when I get to it so stay sharp! SM not mine…Naoko's… I wonder if she takes bribes… I write based on reviews so let's get them rolling in here people! No Flames!!!! Once more I add that if you like Rei or Chibi Usa or Luna then leave now.




Usagi was used to the disparaging remarks and the insults. It got to the point she didn't even notice them anymore. She sighed quietly as she walked alongside her beloved Mamoru, right now feeling more like a little girl with her father than a young woman with her soon to be fiancée. She paused at an advertisement for a particularly posh University, not letting anyone know that she was already researching her future. Unfortunately the advertisement was next to a video game picture and she saw Mamoru smirking at her. "Usako, if you are a very good girl today, I might give you some money to play that game later, but come with me for now."
Usagi narrowed her blue eyes at him angrily. 'You patronizing bastard,' she thought angrily as he tugged her along like he would Chibi Usa. "Mamo-chan," she began, making sure her voice sounded normal. "Why don't you go to the exhibit without me? I just remembered something I have to do."
Mamoru groaned. "Usako, you need to let me educate you - you'll never have a future with manga and video games. This exhibit will be fun."
Usagi had no doubt. She had been yearning to go to the Impressionists exhibit since it first came to Tokyo. Another secret she hid - a love for art. "Mamo-chan," she whined, "If I don't then I'll get in trouble and then I won't be able to…"
"Ok Usako - whatever." Mamoru held up a hand, silencing her. "I should have known better than to ask you in the first place. I should've asked someone with more intelligence like Michiru, Setsuna, Ami, Rei or Chibi Usa. I won't make this mistake again."
Usagi's eyes flashed angrily but she quickly suppressed it beneath a vapid grin. "Ok Mamo-chan," she chirped. "See you later then!"
"I'm sure I will Usako." He sighed, rolling his eyes and releasing her hand.
Usagi had to fight not to yank her hand from his grip as she turned and quickly walked away from him. Closing her eyes she breathed a sigh of relief. Now she was free to be herself…no games, no pretences…no nothing. Glancing around she quickly walked into her favourite coffee shop, ordered some tea and sat down to glance through the magazines there. "A little over your head aren't they?" an impetuous voice cut into her brief moment of peace.
Usagi closed her eyes, convinced that fate was working against her and when she opened them, Rei still stood, a superior smirk on her flawless features. "Rei." She said quietly.
"I never would have thought to find you in a place like this Usagi." Rei chuckled. "Trying to grow some brain cells?"
"I just wanted…"
"Just wanted to forget about the senshi meeting?" Rei demanded planting her hands on her hips, "Or you just wanted to shirk your responsibilities again?"
"That's not why I came in." Usagi bit her lip; she would not give Rei the satisfaction…
"Don't think we've forgotten about your stupidity and klutziness Usagi!" Rei burst out. "You nearly got Haruka killed!"
Usagi knew it, but swore it wasn't her fault. Her limbs had rebelled against her, not letting her move the way she had to. She had fallen over her 'seemed to be too long legs' again and was unable to save her senshi and take the crippling blow that had brought Uranus out of commission for the foreseeable future. The proverbial shit had hit the fan and it was uncertain as to who was angrier over her klutzing out - Michiru, Rei or Luna. "I'm sorry Rei." She whispered for the thousandth time, feeling wretched, knowing that if she looked up she would find no sympathy in her lavender eyes.
"Sorry isn't good enough this time Usagi." Rei spat, furious. "We had a meeting without you, you know? We agreed that you should no longer be leader." Rei had no intention of telling her how close that vote had been, Haruka protesting that Usagi didn't deserve this treatment. Only Rei and Luna's furious yelling had caused her to capitulate and fall silent.
Usagi let her head fall back. "Fine," she said simply. "If that is what everyone wants, then that is what you shall have."
Rei tried to keep the excitement off her face - finally a chance to be leader! "I will pass the message along." She turned on her heel and paused. "Oh and Usagi?"
Usagi glanced at her fire senshi, hoping to keep the pain off her face. "Yes Rei?"
"Don't bother coming to the study sessions anymore - they are for senshi only and you are no longer one of us. The others want nothing to do with you."
Usagi felt the words sink into her soul - she had just lost her friends. "Very well," she mustered a smile throwing Rei off guard. "Glad I could give you a shot at the leader role. If you are leader I should give you the tools to make your life easier…" Usagi reached into her subspace pocket and handed her the Luna Pen and her communicator. Her hand covered her locket for a moment…the ginzuishou - her legacy not Rei's…before removing it and putting it in Rei's outstretched hand. She severed all ties to the senshi once she released the locket. "This burden belongs to you now."
Rei was trembling with joy as she stared at the ginzuishou - hers at last! All that power, all that strength finally belonged to one who was worthy of it! "Goodbye Usagi. As of this moment I do not know you nor do I want to. If I see you on the street, you are a stranger to me and nothing more."
"I expected nothing less from you Rei." Usagi shook her head. "Goodbye." She waited until the fire senshi left before she stood, feeling strangely empty. Trudging home, she figured she'd get some solace in her room before Luna and Chibi Usa returned from the meeting. She was still uncertain as to why Chibi Usa had returned from the future again, but all she knew was that every time that child returned she was more hostile to Usagi than ever. She was so tired of being treated like an idiot - though she pondered why people should look at her any different when she'd only ever acted like a ditz. How could she change the perception of her? She mused as she lay on her bed. 'How does one get people to alter their opinions?' Deep questions like these often coursed through her mind, surprising her with their depth - not normal questions for one who was an idiot. She heard the front door slam and knew that her peaceful time had come to an end. She wondered who exactly had come home - Shingo, her parents or Chibi Usa and Luna. "Usagi!" it was her mother.
"Coming!" she yelled back, lifting herself off the bed. The grim face on her mother and father brought her up short. "Nan de?" she questioned.
"Sit down Usagi," her father gestured to the couch. Not trusting his expression for a minute, she gingerly sat on the couch.
"Hai? Nani o cole? Why so grim?"
"Usagi," her mother sighed. "You are almost seventeen years old yet you have never held a job or contributed around the house in any way."
'Fighting the forces of evil do that to a person.' Usagi thought bitterly. "I'm sorry?" she ventured, sensing it wasn't enough this time.
"Usagi all you do is fight with Shingo or Chibi Usa, scream at Luna and have a leave a messy disaster behind you." Ikuko continued. "I love you to death but I can't do this anymore."
Usagi felt a cold chill go down her spine. "What are you saying?" she asked slowly.
Kenji looked at her with sad eyes. "If we had known when we took you in that you would be like this, we never would have brought you home."
'What am I, a pet?' Usagi thought angrily. "What do you mean 'took me in?'" she demanded.
"We didn't think we could have children Usagi," Ikuko confessed. "And I wanted a child so badly. We never thought Shingo would be born. The doctors suggested adoption - it sometimes stimulates the nerves and hormones in a woman causing her con conceive. In our case - it worked."
"You were six months old when we adopted you - that poor woman was so sad. Strangely enough she had the same last name as we do." Kenji sad down heavily. "You are the mirror image of your real mother - down to the hairstyle."
Usagi could no longer feel, her body having long since gone cold. "What was her name?"
"It doesn't matter." Kenji said firmly. "She gave you up because she was dying, but we wanted you to know the truth."
"Why?" Usagi could ask no other word.
"With Shingo and Chibi Usa - you have to admit that it isn't fair that that angel child still lives in the attic - we have no place for you Usagi." Ikuko finished.
"We have no time or money left." Kenji said firmly. "We've discussed this for a long time Usagi. Your dismal grades are cause for concern, your defiance in dating that Mamoru worrisome, you never help and stay out until all hours is tiresome. We'll give you enough money to live off of for four months - but we don't want you anymore."
Usagi sat there - her world had just come crashing down around her ears. She was not who she thought she was. She had no home. "How long do I have?" she was proud she had found her voice and that it was steady.
"We are not heartless of course," Kenji looked relieved that she wouldn't put up a fight. "You have two days to find an apartment an take whatever you like from us - one last time. We've already destroyed the adoption documents so legally you are no longer our burden - what a burden you are! Take whatever pictures you want as well - we do not want any reminders of you."
"Keep your pictures," Usagi spat in a cold voice. "Keep your trinkets and keep your stupid house. Maybe if you knew the truth - but no - it would make no difference and I am forbidden to tell you." She stood, her head high. "Thank you for your hospitality these past years Ikuko and Kenji. Rest assured that I will not burden you further."
"Usagi…" Ikuko stretched out her hand. "We can still be friends…"
"Shove it." Usagi said, fury racing through her. "You've just ripped up my entire world - destroyed everything I believed in. I do not want to be friends with you." She lashed out before the tears could come and she began begging them for another chance. She had pride.
"Ungrateful as always." Kenji sighed. "You may go now."
Usagi kept her head up as she stormed out of the living room. Entering her room for what would be one of the last times, she pulled out her suitcases and began to pack. Grateful for subspace pockets, she decided she'd use hers to put the larger things into. Let them figure out how she got them out of the house! She'd find herself an apartment tomorrow. "They got rid of you at last eh?" a victorious voice asked from the doorway.
Usagi jerked up and turned to see Shingo leaning in the doorway. "You knew?"
Shingo snorted. "Of course I knew. I've always known. You are no sister of mine."
"Get out." She pointed to the door.
"Only because I choose to." He sauntered out the door, passing Luna and Chibi Usa.
Usagi ignored them and returned to her packing - let them figure out what happened! "Usagi what form of idiocy did you do with Rei?" Luna demanded. "Giving up your locked and pen and…"
"The vote doesn't lie Luna." Usagi cut the cat off. "I know you had a meeting without me, I know I am no longer leader…or even a senshi. Strangely enough I find I don't care."
Chibi Usa rolled her eyes. "You baka!" she yelled. "If you did what you were told you would still be leader. You should have at least given the locket to me as it is my legacy. You can remain leader if…"
"If I become a mindless puppet?" Usagi cut in. "No thanks."
"You are mindless you bubble brained freak." Luna said meanly.
Usagi ignored them. She could not cry…she WOULD not cry… "Go away." She said, her voice timid and weak. She was losing it…the tears were coming… "Get out now."
"Oh look Luna," Chibi Usa mocked. "I think she's gonna cry."
"As usual." Luna sighed. "Well I am not in the mood to have my eardrums damaged for the thousandth time - so lets go angel."
Chibi Usa stuck her tongue out at Usagi as she walked out. Usagi refrained from kicking the door like she wanted to and let the tears flow. It was not a patented Usagi wail like everyone was expecting, but rather the quiet tears that come from a broken and defeated soul. There was no room left in her for noise - no room for anything but her pain. Because of who and what she was she had lost it all. She paused briefly - she had one thing left - one thing they couldn't take from her - the one thing left that loved her. She still had Mamoru.




And that ends this chapter! I hope you like! This is of course and Usagi's strength one and now for the poll - should she dump Mamoru or not? What do you think? Opinions please as I am still up in the air about this! Anyway, please read and review but be kind. I write based on reviews so let's get them rolling in here! No Flames!

Life in Japan - I love being ignored in stores and shoved all over the place on the train, in line and in restaurants not only because I am a foreigner but also because I am female (sarcasm alert!!)… I am supposed to know my place here - but I really don't care. I love it here anyway. The air is so smoggy though and women walk around with parasols! Because the sun is so strong. I've never seen parasols before (Except in gone with the wind)…what a place!

Ja!