Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Where You Belong ❯ Act 03 ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kunzite walked into the throne room to give his farewell to the queen. Zoisite followed behind him, blushing deeply as he heard the ladies in waiting whispering about his change in dress. They seemed to be genuinely shocked that a slave would be allowed to wear garments clearly above his station. Queen Beryl raised an eyebrow questioningly at Kunzite, but held her tongue. After all, he could choose to outfit his slave however he desired.

"Your Highness," Kunzite said as he bowed deeply to the queen, "I do regret that I must take leave of your hospitality and return to my duties."

"I will miss your company," Beryl replied, "but I am sure that your slave will be more than an adequate companion during your journey home." Soft laughter rippled through the court, which caused Zoisite even further discomfort. He did not want these people to think of his Master in such a mocking fashion! Lord Kunzite was the kindest man he had ever met.

"Give my love to Prince Endymion," Beryl requested with a large smile. Kunzite nodded and made another bow before turning to leave, with Zoisite in tow. As they emerged from the castle, Zoisite marveled at the long line of soldiers, horses and carts that were assembled in military order. He had never seen such a sight like this before.

Kunzite walked over to a magnificent white steed and quickly mounted. Zoisite sighed inwardly; he knew that his hands would have to be bound to the horse's saddle and would have to walk the whole journey. He wondered how far he would have to walk this time, but it would be worth it to stay with his new Master.

Zoisite placed his wrists together and raised them expectantly when Kunzite looked down at him.

"What are..." It took a moment for Kunzite to realize what the young man was doing. He shook his head and extended his hand towards Zoisite.

"It's much too far to walk," Kunzite said. "I want you to ride with me."

Zoisite nodded meekly and allowed himself to be helped up onto the saddle, sitting in front of his Master. Kunzite draped a loose arm around Zoisite's waist to steady him as he controlled the reigns with his free hand. The blonde sat as still as he possibly could, not wanting to cause any discomfort to the man behind him. However, after several hours journey, Zoisite began to grow tired and soon slipped unwillingly into sleep. His body relaxed onto Kunzite's, who tightened his hold on the sleeping youth as they continued towards home.*****

When Zoisite awoke, the regiment had arrived back at the Earth Palace. His blue eyes grew wide as he took in all the sites of the courtyard and the palace itself. Everything was much more beautiful here than at Beryl's castle. Here there was even a sea of brilliant red roses surrounding the inner courtyard.

When they had reached the entrance to the palace, Kunzite dismounted and helped Zoicite down. Several men came over to greet their Lord, and to ask questions about his new traveling companion.

"Picked up a stray, have you, Lord Kunzite?" A dark haired man in an uniform similar to Kunzite's laughed at his own question. Kunzite was about to make a remark when Prince Endymion emerged from the palace.

"Lord Kunzite! It is good to see you are back and have been victorious." Endymion and Kunzite embraced and began talking like old friends as Zoisite hung back and merely watched.

"Queen Beryl sends you her love," Kunzite said with a laugh. "She truly misses you." Endymion playfully clutched at his heart like a lovesick poet.

"Oh, how my heart does ache for a lady as fair as she!" Endymion finished his mock performance with a sigh and Kunzite applauded his act. The two continued discussing Beryl for a few moments before Kunzite broached the subject of the Queen's "gift" to him. Endymion looked over at Zoisite and frowned slightly.

"You know it's against our laws to keep slaves," the prince said in a low voice.

"I do not intend to keep him as a slave," Kunzite replied. "If I had not taken him with me, his fate would have been far worse. At least now he can be free."

Endymion nodded thoughtfully. "But you will have to teach him what it means to be 'free'. After all, he spent most of his live as a prisoner to someone else's whims."

"I will care for him until he can manage on his own. Would it be all right if I offered him lodging in one of the spare rooms?"

"Of course," Endymion replied. "He will be treated as our guest." The prince walked over to Zoisite with a hand extended in friendship, but the young man quickly dropped to his knees and bowed his head submissively.

"There's no need for that," Endymion told him. "You aren't a slave here. You shall be treated as everyone else. There will be a room made up for you in the palace."

Zoisite hesitantly looked up, but still was not able to make himself meet another's gaze directly. "I will be allowed to stay with my Master, won't I?" Zoisite's voice held a fearful note.

Endymion smiled kindly and shook his head. "Lord Kunzite is not your master. Here, you are free. Come now, follow this lady to your room."

A young girl went over to Zoisite and gently took his arm, urging him to his feet. As he rose, his eyes searched desperately for Kunzite. The prince's words did not make sense to him. Why did his Master dismiss him? Did he displease him in some way? These thoughts tore at his heart as the girl led him into the palace. What if he could never see his Master again?

.:tbc:.