Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ Armours, secrets and amazons ❯ A voyage ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: A voyage
The port was boiling with activity as Shaina stepped of the ship in wish traveled for the last days. She saw sailors and dockworkers quickly unloading a ship to make way for the rest of the maritime traffic in another busy day at the docks. She soon mixed within the crowd, who were too occupied with their jobs at hand to pay attention to the young lady who wore a long hooded cloak and a mask in this scorching weather.
Leaving the docks behind her walked by the coast, the city did not seem that different to the fishing village near the Sanctuary. Now that place seemed so far away, but she was confident in fulfilling Athena's assignment. She felt light raindrops falling on her giving her quite relief, and hoped the rain would calm the intense tropical heat. The rain fell harder and she ignored it for a while, until she realized nightfall was approaching rapidly, and she had spent almost all day walking in the rain among busy streets and covered by her cloak. Hastening her stride, she went through the crowds. She never liked the cities, and wanted to leave this one as soon as possible. She felt a bit of pain on her back, the wounds received while protecting Seiya from several attacks bothered her. No one in the sanctuary knew about it, not even Milo. He always looked after her and she would not let him know, much less let Seiya find out, though she wasn't sure that he would care anyway, perhaps he would preaches to everyone about her weak condition jus to spite.
“Stop thinking in that idiot” - She scolded herself - “! I have a mission to carry out, and by the gods I will so!”
Besides the pain will go away as soon she had a hot bath, she arrived at a hostel in the middle of the road. The care keeper who was accustomed of seeing all types of people, made no inquiries; the gold coin she presented did not hurt him either. Although she was put off by his greedy stare, not to mention the way he scanned her head to toe when she enters soaked by the rain.
She went in the room, it was clean, but didn't have hot water. She removes her wet cloths and at time lamenting having declined the help that Athena offers her.
But this trip would serve to give her a well deserved vacation. Now the real work would begin, and her honor depended on fulfilling her task. A few days away from the Sanctuary, without the boredom of archival work or having to bear endless commentaries thrown at her would do her good. A month had passes, a whole month since they comeback from Hades as still the rumors about her did not cease.
After laying her cloths to dry she went to bed hoping to get a good long sleep. The dreams came but they were far from tranquil, it was a dark night and she was running across rough terrain on a moonless night; she felt afraid, very afraid. The woman was holding her hand and making her run seemed to be as scared as her. She tumbled, the woman left her behind for a moment, the she screamed her name and then… silence.
The sun was up when she waked up sweating, but for her it had been a few moments of sleeps. “Damn it I overslept” She scolded herself and hurried to get out.

Meanwhile in the Sanctuary Mu was briefing to Athena about the cloths repairs. They were on schedule despite arriving in dismal conditions.
-I'm glad to hear that Mu, I hope you're finished by the time the rest arrive.
-It shall be done your highness - He responded and then heading for the door, but suddenly stopped.
Athena let out a smile before saying: It's all right Mu, you may ask. I believe you have a question for me. Don't you?
-Is there any news of Shaina?
-It's still too soon to hear from her, but I expected her back in a few more days.
-Forgive Athena, but I don't understand; why her? You have any saint at your disposal to retrieve it earlier.
-That's precisely why, I chose an Amazon who was very capable of achieving it. I didn't send for it because there was no need for it.
-I sincerely hope so, because if not…
-Stop worrying, she'll be back and with the cloth. I guarantee it. Just have faith.
Mu stood silent, bowed and left the room. He felt a bit embarrassed, after all duty demanded that he follow his goddess orders blindly, without questions. She knew why she did thing, even when no one else understood.
Then he chooses to walk downstairs to greet his comrades. But Milo wasn't there the repairs to his house continued and only finds Hyoga and Shun cleaning the place.
-! Hi Mu! Long time no see- Yelled Hyoga leaving the brush aside.
- I decide to stretch my legs. I see you're almost finished with the repairs.
-A few details here and there- Shun interrupted -As you can see, what's left is mostly cleaning. The place was a mess, and we better finish today before Milo arrives or he will be really mad.
- I doubt that, you have done a remarkable job here.
-Sure, but there were too many blood stains in the floor and Milo was very clear he doesn't want to see it anymore.
-Who's fault was it? - Shun replies - Who offered to cleanup?
-Come on Shun, we almost done here and you say you were bored without June here and want something to distract you mind.
Mu just says: Well I guess I'll be going now.
- Are you are going below? -Asked shun - If you see my brother. Could you tell him to wait for me, I'm going to be here more time that I expected.
Mu nodded and went out, as he did could barely heard Hyoga asking Shun: So, are you finally going to tell June how you feel?
The sound of a bucket crashing indicated that the boy was caught of guard and Mu smiled. He followed his way trough the temples, didn't find anyone in Virgo's house and he regrets that. He enjoyed his conversations with Shaka, so he headed directly to the house of Leo.
-Look you're in a hurry Aioria.
-Ah Mu - he stops - Is a boring afternoon.
-So everyone keep's saying that, are you going to do some visits?
-Maybe in a little while, but I'm glad to see you - he paused - Tough you seem worried. Is something wrong?
-Not at all, Athena says that there's nothing to be worried about. So I you see Marin, say hello from me - Aioria coughed nervous as Mu continued - Tell her there's still not word from Shaina, so she must continue working alone for a while.
- Seem you just give me a good excuse- Aioria smirked.
-Very well, so go on and enjoy your afternoon.
Not finding anyone in the rest of the temples, Mu retired to the tranquility of his home and workshop. Surrounded by cloths that were either completely ruined or almost destroyed at looks but he always was capable to bring them to life. He still has a lot of work to do, but he was really anxious to see the cloth that Athena orders Shaina to retrieve. That cloth… his master once told him about it, he only knew that it wasn't forged the same ways as the rest of them. And that was all was his master told him.
“You should know about this cloth, but never expects to see it, is too powerful and only brings with it many woes. Remember well Mu”
-Is that is so… I don't understand why Athena seeks it now. A larger menace awaits us now?

After two days of trekking amidst the tropical jungle with the heat and humidity. Shaina felts exhausted for searching the cloth trough the bushes and vegetation, she began to grow impatient, on top of that the insects were relentless. She wondered how could Aldebaran resist these conditions, and realized where his resistance came from. That damn cloth doesn't show any signs and she was at the limit of her patience. She followed a stream in search of a river. She was certain that there would be a local villager that could provide some information about it, but in the last couple of days she ran into no one. So she kept on walking with hopes of finding something… anything. The stream broadened after while the bushes ceased and she made her way trough a cleaning where the sand formed a nice riviera.
The path grew easier a few hours later and she carefully followed the river certain that it would take her to a village. As she was looking at the vegetation sees something and could not believe her good luck, the Pandora's Box of a cloth was partially - occult before her.
-Well, well it would seem you were awaiting me - She whispered as she drew near to it. But as soon as she moved it from her spot an aggressive cosmos raises at her back. Thanks to her ability she evaded the attack as a crater formed on the sport where she stood moments before.
-¡Leave that you damn hag …! -Some one yelled at her - its mine.
Shaina observed her aggressor, short in stature and wearing training cloths nothing but a mere apprentice, it was obvious that the cloth didn't belong to him… to her. She was really surprised when she figures out that her foe was really a girl that wore no mask. Those bright green eyes burned a hole trough her, and her face was half covered by her purple hair perhaps she could strike fear in the heart of a novice, but not her.
- You're welcome to stop me! - Shaina responded anxious for a good fight, it had been so long, she was desperate to vent her rage.
-You'll see - Screamed the girl as she threw herself at her, Shaina defended herself agility against the attacks, the girl was a good fighter, someone had trained her very well. Her kicks, blows and the combinations of them were excellent, but still the girl was too slow for Shaina who toyed with her for a while as she looked around, because she knew that, where there was an apprentice, there would be a master for sure.
Shaina added: I'm a Silver Saint you cannot beat me that easily.
The girl scream something at her she did not understood, and then she felts a powerful cosmos catching her, knocking her breathless, she felt her heart almost stopping.
-Enough! - She heard and the attack ceased. Her rival appeared shaken by the sound of the voice, standing down and stepping aside.
An Amazon with long white hair, and athletic build landed in front of her, she also wore no mask. She drew a piercing stare to Shaina before finally saying: I don't know why my apprentice attacked you, but you're in my territory. Identify your self!
-She tried to steal the cloth master! I was only trying to stop her - The girl replies.
-If you still insist in calling yourself my pupil… Get back to your training now Misha- The woman roars.
-Yes, forgive me I will - the young girl laughed nervously.
Shaina was in shock realizing that the young girl in fact had permission to remove the mask. It confused her, a girl training without her mask, something strictly prohibit to all amazons, that mask was part of their lives.
She recovers herself from the surprise and directed her attention to the Amazon. -I have come for this cloth, by order of Athena. Where is the cloth? She pointed at the box that had been opened by the girl's strike and was now empty.
-Did she really send you? - The amazon ignored her words - Was Athena by herself or, the Pope? Because, if he who want it, you have to kill us to get it.
-Athena by herself sends me. But why do you have doubts? Do you have some aversion to the Pope?
-That bastard is not what you think, he tried to kill Athena, and he's not…
-Yes I know - she answered before she would try another attack - Everything is settled now, Athena alone has control in the Sanctuary. What happened with the Gemini saint supplanting the Pope is over.
The Amazon reacts falling on knees - Oh; I can't believe it, after all this time…
-Everything is back in order - Shaina whispered and the amazon starts to cry.
The young girl was surprised with the reaction of her master, but not Shaina she understood very well what happens. That woman was another exiled from the sanctuary and seems she ignores a lot of things.
The amazon recovers herself, stood up and invites her to a small cabin, willing to know everything what happens in the past years. The three of them enters and Shaina as a showing respect uncovers her face. The young girl seats in a corner curious.
-Please forgive the impertinence of my pupil - I'm Cagglio Bronze Saint of the Grus. (Crane)
-I'm Shaina, silver Saint of Ophiucus - she replies.
Cagglio stares at her with the same concentration that Shaina uses - After a lot of time… is good to know that an amazon wears a silver cloth… those are so few…
-Amazons or silver cloths? - Misha interrupts.
-Both and shut up - Cagglio emphasizes to the girl before continue talking with Shaina - But I'm really interested in your reason for get here for this cloth that's in under my custody.
Shaina informed her about all what happened in Sanctuary, Saga and his deceive, his death as the death of another saints, the wars that precede all this events against Poseidon and Hades and the calm in the Sanctuary.
Cagglio still seems concerned about the news. Shaina believed that the amazon feels impotent for not be able to participate in the events. But the girl looks anxious and willing to know more about it and starts to make a lot of questions.
-Is true that there is no danger to the amazons in the sanctuary? Who was this Saga you mentioned? Why are you here now?
-Misha stops, let her speaks! - Cagglio scolded her.
-I prefer to know why you been occult all this years instead of fight as many others exiles. All this happened in one year period… What stops you to? And also, Why do you not wear yours mask?
-Well, those are a lot of questions. First I'm keeping the word I give to my master training her successor. We both run away when she had some doubts about the Pope and opposed to him. The Pope ordered the death to all who dare to resist, so my master and I barely escape, we needed a lot of luck then and still ended really injured. This proves to be good place to hide and heal the wounds, so we been here since then.
-Still, if you were far from the Sanctuary your duty as saint is be prepared to the call of Athena, she fully waked up. That's all saint duty you know it!
-And I know that, but fortuneless none of the apprentice made it on time and still I don't know if she can! - She pointed to Misha who balanced her self on a bench - There's one last test and… Oh forgive my manners, Misha go out and seek for some fish to feast our guess
-But master…
-Obey me! And do it fast!
The girl mumbles as leaves the place and Cagglio waits some time before continue: She's my last pupil and I don't know if she can make it. If she fails, she will die and I'll be dead with shame.
-Well… -Shaina evoked Cassius - Every master must bear the death of them pupils.
Cagglio stares her - You had experienced that, is not?
Shaina did not answer, lowering her face.
-I've seen many of my apprentices die and it is hard, but I'm dying and I don't have a lot of time left, and the test is so tough. Misha could not fail again… I'll not be able to train another one.
-What's the big deal with the test?
-I cannot tell you, is a secret and the amazons know how to keep secrets and not precisely our face - she laugh changing completely her attitude - You're intrigued why we aren't using them, the reason is simple. There are no human been miles around and the few bastards who looked my face are death, is funny how no one dares to cross this land if your start the rumor of there's a monster around. And finally you saw an empty box. Isn't? Well my master knew that someone will come for her, but she still keep it with her, and she is the one who test the apprentices.
-Then, she is alive?
-You'll be able to see her the day of the test. Want to be a witness?
Shaina could not prevent to be shocked by the way that woman looks at her. Her words were strange, but not as her malicious smile. By the moment she did not know how to reacts, luckily Misha come back.
-Is some thing wrong with you? - The girl looks surprised - If you have fever we have excellent medicine around here, with the plants.
Cagglio answers - She's okay, she only wanted to know about the test you have the next new moon, I did not say a word of course.
-Is truly exciting! What ever the test it is, I am sure I'll pass it.
-That's not true, you're not training as you should, and you're too lazy.
-Ah, but I try my best.
-Yeah, sure… Our guess is lucky that you didn't learn well your lessons, or she could be death right now.
The girl smiles - My sisters give her best affords, if wasn't enough, I'll give my best. But now I bring you some fruit, if you like to eat something before the meal is ready. I'm sure you did, because you will not find this in that sanctuary you mentioned.
Cagglio stood up and say: I'll watch the meal, and call you when is ready.
Misha relaxed and smiles to Shaina - she is mad with me… that happen when she did not eat properly.
-If you say so…
While eating Shaina observed the young girl, she acts so naturally, was active and lively, completely opposite to the first impression of her, willing to kill her defending something she already considers her property.
-So, your name is Misha…
-Yeah ma'am - the girl answers.
-Don't tell me ma'am, I'm seventeen, and my name is Shaina.
The girl stands besides her and compares her height -And you are really tall; I want to grow up just like you.
-How long you been training with Cagglio? - Asks while bites a fruit, trying not show too much interest.
-Well… She's like my mom, she take care of me since my parents die, I saw her training other girls and I also ask her to train me when the last of my sisters dies. She hesitates and took some time deciding if she will train me or not. She did not want to I take the path of an amazon. She says is a tough live.
“You can not imagine how…” Shaina thinks and then asks -So, must have around 13 years?
-Almost - she smiles - in a week, precisely the day of the test. That will be an excellent birthday gift, isn't? She promises me a chocolate cake if I succeed.
-Looks like she spoiled you.
-She's a great person, but also a strict teacher. Mhh… Can you smell it? The fish is almost ready, let's go!
-Let's go then.
Shaina worries from the way the girl chat; she was talking of endanger her life with great emotion. Just as her before wining her cloth and chaining to that lifestyle. But then she remembers that after all, that was the purpose of all who were Saints of Athena. Risking her life for her goddess, all in their moment have to make sacrifices; paying an enormous price for it, theirs lives. She wonders if that young girl will be capable of pay it, she still have a lot of innocence in her.
But this must see it, after all the cloth was hidden, and with out it she will not be able to return to the sanctuary. And also she will not stops that girl from reaching her goal of become a saint. She decided then accepts the invitation and witness the test of Misha. That week also serves her to watch Cagglio, she had doubts about her.
-Cagglio, I'll tell you something - she addresses to the amazon who was serving the food.
-Yes, tell me.
-I'll stay until the day of the test.
Cagglio smirked and Misha reacts with more joy - Well I only have one rule, and you must respect that. Do not intervene in my training.
-Is your territory and your pupil do what you want - she expected something like that, those are rules from the amazons, she never wants to interfere with Cagglio whatever the techniques of training she'll use. There're a lot of cloths, a lot of different methods and even some oft hem change with the time and generations - I only tell you as soon she obtains her cloth she must come back with me to the sanctuary, present her self to Athena and make her vows to our goddess.
-Nothing will make more happy - Cagglio replies - But now eat, the food is better while is hot.