Saint Seiya Fan Fiction ❯ Quest for Sanctuary: Staff of Athena ❯ Chapter 2

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2:
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Saint Seiya, and I do not own `Quest for Camelot'.
 
Warnings: Haven't we been through this already?
 
A/N: Ah, the joy of uni apps and Personal Statements.
 
Seiya hastily disentangled himself from the net, hopping about in the shallow pond and pushing thick brown hair out of his eyes. He laughed awkwardly. “Um…that was amazing!” He smiled widely. “The way you just…smashed those monsters! How you just avoided that-that thing! You're incredible! You're…” He stopped gesturing to look properly at the stranger, who was staring sadly at the remains of his net.
 
“Hn?” The other replied.
 
“Not even listening to me!” Seiya finished indignantly.
 
“Great,” growled the stranger quietly. “It took me six weeks to make this net.” Still with his back to Seiya, the man quickly snatched a struggling fish out from the mesh and gripped it.
 
Seiya looked closely at the newcomer. He had long black hair and was dressed simply in a green tunic and blue breeches. “You saved my life,” he earnestly said. “Thank you.”
 
“Well,” the other mildly commented, “anyone could make that mistake.” He groaned as the fish suddenly slipped out of his hands and nearly jumped when Seiya laughed loudly. Cursing quietly, he heard the fish plop back into the water and gritted his teeth, trying not to show how much the other's voice grated on his nerves.
 
“Oh, I get it!” Seiya smiled. “This,” he gestured to the forest, “is where Athena sends her unfunny jesters, right?” The other couldn't believe his ears. Does he actually think he's funny? He thought irritably, but forced out a laugh out of politeness.
 
“And now I'll thank you,” he turned to Seiya.
 
“For what?” The other asked, puzzled.
 
“For reminding me why I'm a hermit! Good day!” With those words, the stranger strode off.
 
Seiya immediately chased after his rescuer. “Hey, wait! What's your name?” The falcon watched the pair from the trees, reflecting on what Kanon had prophesied long ago and snickering to itself.
 
“It's Shiryu.”
 
“I'm Seiya!” Seiya cheerfully offered.
 
“So Shiryu,” Seiya ran to catch up with the retreating hermit, “why won't you look at me?” When the other continued walking, he ran faster and looked into his eyes. “Why won't you…?” His eyes widened in realization when he looked at the black-haired man full in the face. “Oh…”
 
Shiryu hesitated for a moment before continuing. “Oh,” Seiya said softly. “I didn't realize you were…”
 
“What?” The other sharply asked. His lips curved up wryly. “Tall? Rugged? Handsome?” Seiya shook his head.
 
“Blind…” He offered weakly before realizing how stupid he must sound.
 
Shiryu turned to look at him. “I always forget that one,” he sniped. Embarrassment disappeared, only to be replaced by indignation and Seiya immediately ran forward.
 
Suddenly the falcon returned, flying in circles around Shiryu. Its wings flashed in the sunlight and Seiya remembered what he'd heard from the griffin. “Go away,” Shiryu growled at the bird, who seemed to be trying to tell him something.
 
“Look!” Seiya gasped. “Your falcon has silver wings!”
 
“Really?” Shiryu did not want to talk to Seiya anymore. “I'll just have to take your word for it, then.” He hoped that the sarcastic remark would drive the talkative boy away.
 
“Sorry!” Seiya hastily apologized and Shiryu turned around once more, irritation in every line of his stance. “You see,” he explained. “It means he knows where the Staff is.”
 
The black-haired man sighed and brushed his hair out of his face. Sarcastically, he replied, “Sure he does. In Sanctuary. You know, big castle, lots of flags and stone?” He turned away once more.
 
“No!” Seiya cried. “It's somewhere in the forest! Gemini Saga has stolen it, and he's keeping my mother hostage! That's why I'm here! I have to find the Staff, or else Sanctuary and my mother are doomed.” Shiryu sighed. He felt sorry for Seiya, but did he have to be so…so loud?
 
The falcon squalled more persistently and giving in, Shiryu stretched out a hand, allowing the animal to land on his arm. It chattered on whilst he nodded, frowning as the bird confirmed Seiya's story. “Athena's Staff is here?” He asked, still slightly incredulous. The bird nodded once more. “Right,” he quickly decided. “We're going after it.” He turned to head into the forest.
 
“Great!” Seiya said, glad that he was part of the group already.
 
“Not you,” Shiryu sighed, turning around. Really, did this little pampered noble have to be so pushy? “Me and Shun. We work alone.” He held out a hand to stop Seiya from coming any closer.
 
Seiya snapped. “Well, I see no reason why I can't come along.” He glared fiercely at Shiryu. He knocked the hand aside and stalked forward, stopping when he realized that he didn't know the way. Shiryu smiled serenely.
I know the sound of each rock and stone
I embrace what others fear
You are not to roam in this forgotten place
Just the likes of me
arewelcome here
Shiryu crouched down, gently tapping the stone on which he was standing. To Seiya's amazement, the rock began to rise, conveying the hermit upwards to another rocky level of the forest. He looked upwards as though he could see the trees and everything above him, ignoring the brown-haired boy, who had now decided to grab onto a jutting piece of rock and haul himself up.
Everything breathes
And I know each breath
For me it means life
For others, it's death

The hermit leapt lightly off the rock and landed on a grassy ledge, moving towards a small waterfall which covered part of the ground, creating a wall of water. Behind him, Seiya shakily followed, praying that he wouldn't fall off the narrow structure. Ignoring the boy, Shiryu gently slid a hand into the water and moved it up, causing the liquid to part and walked through serenely. Not wanting to get too close, Seiya carefully walked through, standing still just as the gap closed and he winced, drenched in the ice-cold water.
It's perfectly in balance
Perfectly planned
More than enough
For this man
Shiryu stood confidently on the roots of an enormous tree, proudly surveying the forest he had come to know so well. He felt the roots shift once more, one wrapping around his waist and depositing him gently on yet another root. He tensed and jumped, landing on yet another root. He walked upwards for a moment and felt himself slide down, landing on the ground that he knew would come. He proudly spread his arms, feeling the comforting aura of the Enchanted Forest surround him. With Shun flying up ahead, he confidently walked forward, back onto solid ground.

Like every tree
Stands on it's own
Reaching for the sky
I stand alone
Determined to show Shiryu that he could do just as well, if not better, Seiya leapt onto one of the tree roots. However, the tree immediately sensed his uncertainty and to the brown-haired boy's dismay, he found himself looking into one yellow eye. The root shifted and he yelped, desperately trying to keep his balance. Leaping forward, he barely managed to grasp an overhanging branch and swing himself to relative safety. Pulling himself up onto the ledge, he stared as Shiryu hummed a soft tune into the breeze, the leaf-like grass on the ground swirling around him. Seiya wondered whether there was such thing as an earth spirit, but then reminded himself of the hermit's aloof attitude.

I share my world
With no one else
All by myself
I stand alone


He held onto the ledge, enjoying the breeze and the leaves swirling around him and nearly fell off when Shiryu suddenly came closer and crouched down, looking at him as though he could see.

I
'veseen your world
With these very eyes
Don't come any closer
Don't even try


Shiryu sighed, remembering his childhood days before turning away and continuing. Hauling himself up, Seiya followed at a distance, looking around at the large purple plants that seemed to be unfurling. A large, pink bulb topped the long stem of each one and they moved of their own accord. The brown-haired boy felt a little intimidated even as the hermit strode ahead, walking into yet another pond and stepping onto the rising fountains of water that jetted upwards, propelling him onto another ledge. Just how many levels does this place have? Seiya thought before running to catch up.

I've felt all the pain
And heard all the lies
But in my world there's no
Compromise


Shiryu was already gone by the time he arrived at the ledge, wet and still a little shaken from being so suddenly pushed upwards. Seiya saw that the man was standing atop a stump that seemed to be moving, Shun following not far behind.


Like every tree
Stands on it's own
Reaching for the sky
I stand alone


Shiryu smiled as he enjoyed the ride, jumping off the stump and heading for a narrow, steep pathway that one could use as a slide. He immediately jumped and slid down, landing in a small clearing of large yellow flowers, each with huge petals. Walking over to one, he gripped its long stem and felt them moving as the petals began to rotate, bringing the entire plant upwards and him along with it.

Seiya had no clue what to do. He knew that he had to get on one of the flowers that Shiryu was currently holding onto, but he didn't know which one. Gently tapping an orange flower, he found to his dismay that the plant immediately retreated into the ground, leaving a hole where it had once been. He looked up at the hermit, who was effortlessly balancing on the flower.


I share my world
With no one else
All by myself
I stand alone

Seiya hastily stepped back as the flower he'd touched began to move, and suddenly it rose from the ground. He quickly latched on and was dragged upwards, yelping in surprise he was dragged through tree branches and finally into the open air. With a quiet sigh of relief, he saw Shiryu standing on a large cliff and quickly let go, clambering up the last few inches of stone.

All by myself
I stand alone

All by myself
I stand alone


Smiling contentedly, Shiryu let Shun rest on his hand once more. He suddenly felt a tug on his boots and turned to look down, only to see Seiya using him as a support to get onto the cliff. It figures, he thought a little sourly.
“I stand alone too,” Seiya quickly said as he stood up and brushed himself off. Suddenly Shun took off and landed on the brown-haired boy's arm, chattering as though the other could understand him.
“Shun!” Shiryu felt strangely betrayed.
“I just need your help this once,” Seiya quickly hurried on before the other could say anything more.
 
I guess there's no hope for it, an exasperated Shiryu thought. He wasn't in the mood to argue anymore, and this boy really couldn't be that bad if he hadn't already fallen to his doom in the Forest now, had he? He'd deliberately chosen a hard-to-follow route to shake him off, but the noble just wasn't having any of it. “All right, all right,” he finally said, turning to continue. “But don't give me any trouble.”
Shiryu let Seiya walk ahead, just in case there was anything behind them. He highly doubted the boy was capable of defending himself properly, if the incident at the pond had been anything to go by. Suddenly he was drenched in a cold, slimy substance that had to have come from a plant. “Ugh…” he muttered. “What a fine mess you've got us into in,” he growled quietly, shaking the mess off. Up ahead, Seiya was happily shaking the large, hanging yellow plants which contained the liquid.
“This isn't so bad,” he cheerily commented. He stepped on a patch of carnivorous grass which immediately reared up in anger, jaws wide and hungry. Shiryu hastily kicked it quiet and groaned. Seiya continued blundering through, waking up the thorns and brambles, chattering whilst Shun flew in front of Shiryu, helping his friend fend off the forest's inhabitants. “I've had more trouble collecting the eggs!” The brown-haired boy didn't notice the hermit at all. Yet another patch of carnivorous grass reared up behind Seiya just as the boy passed by. Shiryu hastily found a rock and tossed it into the creature's mouth, subduing it for the time being.
“Trouble, trouble and more trouble,” he grumbled to Shun, who screeched in pity. “Just what I need.”
At the pond:
A mechanical soldier was suddenly ejected from the depths of the water, wet and miserable. At the same time, the stump regurgitated its victim, finding the food clearly too unpalatable and hard on the digestion. Both soldiers growled and shook their weapons at the scenery, unaware of how ridiculous they looked.

Saga was haranguing the griffin to no end as the creature led him and his band around the Forest. “You wretched mythological moron!” He growled. “Where did you drop the Staff?” He grabbed the creature by the ear, shouting this last question.
Instead of being fazed by this rebuke, the griffin took out a monocle and looked through, surveying the surroundings. “Hmm,” it commented, “down here it looks so different.” Tired of the nonsense, Saga ripped the monocle away and tossed it aside irritably. “You worthless beast! How much more useless can you possibly get? And since when have you needed a monocle anyway?” Out of nowhere, the mutated chicken suddenly fell into the party's way.
 
“You! Report!” Saga immediately barked, all thoughts of punishing the griffin now gone.
“Erm, you see, the boy, and, uh, the blind man…uh…” The chicken was clearly distraught. “Um…and a silver winged falcon.” Saga smiled whilst his party shuddered; the smile on the man's face did not bode well for anyone.
“Perfect.” Turning to his men, he shouted orders. “We're going after them!” With a growl of assent, the monsters followed their leader obediently.
Sanctuary:
 
Capricorn Shura, Sagittarius Aiolos and Aquarius Camus stood in front of the stone from which Athena's Staff had been drawn. “Has there been any news?” Shura asked. Aiolos shook his head sadly.
 
“They've sent out Saints throughout the land, but none have returned with news.” The three Gold Saints bowed their heads in disappointment even as Shura left to return to work.
 
Inside the castle, other Saints were repairing the ceiling through which the griffin had crashed through. “Come on, men!” Shaina encouraged the rest of the Saints as they hauled a beam of wood upwards. “We must repair this tower before Saga returns!”
 
Saori sat in her bedroom, Kanon tending to the gaping slash in her arm from the griffin's attack. As the advisor pulled the bandage tightly around her arm, Athena winced. With concern in her eyes, she looked at the blue-haired man. “Have any of the Saints returned? Has Athena's Staff been found?”
 
“I am afraid not, my lady,” the man replied gravely. Staggering to her feet, Saori frowned.
 
“Perhaps I should go after it myself…”
 
“No,” Kanon said, supporting her gently. “You must regain your strength. Have heart,” he smiled as he led her over to the window overlooking the land. “You must have faith in your people.”
 
Enchanted Forest:
 
Seiya wandered through the now-barren and rocky land, happy to follow Shiryu. For once the brown-haired boy was quiet, staring in awe at lands which he had only dreamed of seeing previously. The hermit, on the other hand, savoured the silence. Seiya had not stopped chattering until they had reached this area, and Shiryu was determined to make the most of it. Nevertheless, it wasn't so bad traveling with the noble, he grumpily admitted to himself.
 
Saga watched from a cliff top, smiling as he saw the two small figures making their way across the land.
 
Shun flew down once more to shriek a warning to Shiryu from up above. The black-haired man immediately stopped and sniffed the air, crouching down to gently feel the baked dry earth. “What is it?”
 
“Dragon country,” the other whispered. Seiya looked up and saw that the ground was now covered in a green mist. Spires of flame and smoke erupted from fissures in the rocks, and there was a distinct smell of ash and sulphur in the air, but nevertheless they continued. Shiryu walked forward confidently whilst Seiya followed, gawking at the land so different from the ones he'd traveled through. As they climbed up what appeared to be a gigantic skeleton of some long-dead creature, Seiya couldn't help but chatter.
 
“Are you sure this is dragon country?” He asked. “I mean-shouldn't there be a sign or something?” He laughed nervously. “Hey, it could say, `Welcome to Dragon Country!'' They continued through with the brown-haired boy keeping up a constant flow of conversation with himself. Shiryu wanted to scream, but gritted his teeth and continued walking, alert for any signs of danger. “Hey, have you ever seen a dragon?” Seiya asked. “I mean, how do you know there are even dragons here? Say, what do you call a group of dragons? A flock? A herd? A gaggle or a pride?”
 
“Quiet!” Shiryu put out a hand in front of Seiya, his voice low and urgent.
 
“Do you hear something?” The other anxiously asked.
 
“No.” Shiryu turned forward again. “I just want you to be quiet.” Seiya glared.
 
They moved quietly forwards when a rumbling sound suddenly met their ears. Shiryu, sensing that it was behind him, continued forward whilst Seiya hastily stepped back. Two large fragments of shell landed on the ground in front of him and he winced, looking up. He swallowed hard and carefully stepped around the remains, wondering how much further they had to go. Just as he thought he was well away from the fragments, he stepped in something sticky. Looking down, Seiya cringed at the greenish liquid that seeped out of the egg and shook his foot, hoping that the muck would come off in time. I wonder if I just killed a baby dragon? He thought before pushing the thought away.
 
Shiryu frowned as he felt the ground rumbling beneath him. Hastily sensing that something potentially dangerous was nearby, he quickly jumped into an eggshell and hid, cursing softly when he heard Seiya call loudly.
 
“Shiryu?” Seiya asked, forcing himself not to panic. “Shiryu? Shiryu! Where are you?” He desperately called, hastily running as a large, dark shadow passed overhead. He stumbled towards an eggshell and was dragged in. Opening his mouth for a yell, he was hastily silenced by the other's hand over his mouth.
 
“Shh,” Shiryu soothed. “Be quiet.”
 
Suddenly Seiya saw two large shadows on the rocky wall, one with a long neck and the other little more than a lump. He gave a cry of shock. “Dragon!” He yelled in panic whilst the hermit tried to locate the creature.
 
“Dragon?” One of the shadows suddenly said, panicked. “Where? Where?” The shorter lump began to speak and Seiya gave a cry once more, stumbling out of the shell and breaking it in his haste to run away. Shiryu was still looking from side to side, hearing only chaos and screaming. “It's coming from there!” Seiya hastily pointed at the shell next to them, suddenly finding himself staring into a scaly face. He let out a yell and pointed, forgetting that Shiryu couldn't see. “Over there!”
 
“But…” Seiya paused, unsure of what he was going to say. “You're dragons!”
 
“Oh, heavens, someone's found our hiding place!” The eggshell said.
 
“Shaddup, cricket!” There was a thump and a squawk from a clearly disgruntled creature. “Here, let them have some of this.” The voice rose to a respectable roar, although Seiya was now unsure of whether to laugh or run. “We are dragons, vicious, fire-breathing dragons!” Shiryu stood tensed and ready for a fight, but slowly relaxed as Shun flew over to comfort him. “Go away before we eat you!” Seiya stared as one blue-grey claw stretched out of the shell and proceeded to make a dragon-head's shadow on the wall, with sound to accompany its opened jaws.
 
“Oh, great show, that!” The other voice said approvingly. “Here, let me have a go.” Another claw sneaked out of the shell and pushed the dragon-head away, replacing it with a bunny.
 
“Wonderful,” The lower voice commented sarcastically. The other claw sneaked out once more and grabbed the `bunny', throttling it and pulling it down. Shiryu cautiously walked over to the shell and gently tapped it with his hand whilst Shun fearlessly perched on the rim. Suddenly two heads popped out of the shell, one narrow and serpentine and the other round and clumsy.
 
“Please, don't hurt us!” One of them begged. “We're not going to kill you! We're harmless, really!”
 
Shiryu growled. “I thought you were big, vicious, fire-breathing dragons.” Both heads looked remarkably chastened.
 
“No, really. The ferocious ones are the big guys out there,” The stumpy head said.
 
“Yeah,” The other agreed. “Always picking on us. Calling us names, pushing us around…I hate them!” Shiryu continued to poke, unaware that he was causing the pair a great deal of discomfort.
 
“Hey, hey, easy with that,” The stumpy head said. Shiryu stepped away.
 
“What are you?” He asked. If his senses were right…
 
“We-ell,” the thin head said. “Frankly, we're the reason cousins don't marry.” As he stepped out of the shell, Seiya saw that the two heads were joined onto one body. The dragon suddenly turned to him and the taller head beamed upon seeing a friendly face.
 
“It's a pleasure to meet you,” he happily said, waddling over and sticking out a claw for Seiya to shake. “I'm Corinth, and this…growth on my neck is Sparta.” Seiya nodded, repressing a giggle from the comical pair. Sparta nodded and made an awkward bow to the brown-haired boy, smiling all the while.
 
Realising that the danger was past, Shiryu continued through the valley. “Come on, Seiya,” he mildly called. “Let's go.” With a quick smile at the dragon and a wave, Seiya followed after the hermit.
 
“Hey!” Sparta called. “Where are you going?”
 
“To save Sanctuary,” Seiya called back.
 
Corinth's ears immediately pricked up. “Sanctuary? Home to the greatest artists and musicians who ever lived? The restaurants, the theatres…” He drifted off into his fantasy.
 
“And the pretty actresses,” Sparta added, earning himself a glare.
 
“And the dragons…” Just as Corinth said so, an ominous roar sounded from above. Both dragons stared at each other in shock. “The dragons!” The two-headed dragon immediately jumped and rushed forward just as a jet of flame spewed from the creature up above. Seiya, turning back and seeing the fire leaping over the rocks, hastily grabbed Shiryu's hand and dragged him forward, praying that they would not be killed. Behind them came Corinth and Sparta, hollering as the flames singed them.
 
The hermit and the noble were soon overtaken by the dragon, who raced forward to a pool of what appeared to be steaming green liquid with a number of bobbing white stones leading to the other side. “Wait!” Seiya cried. “What is that stuff?”
 
The dragon used the stones as steps as it rushed to the other side. “Don't worry,” Corinth called. “It's perfectly safe!” Seiya and Shiryu stopped at the edge of the pool, unsure of how to proceed. The hermit quickly found a twig lying on the ground and dipped it into the liquid. The dead wood came back up, charred and blackened from where it had dipped into the liquid.
 
“Safe?” Shiryu questioned sardonically. Seiya leapt forward, trying to drag the other with him, but was forced to leave the older man behind as he tried to balance on the stones, which wobbled and shifted precariously.
 
“So long as you don't step in it,” Sparta replied. Luckily for Shiryu, Shun swooped down to guide him along the stones. The black-haired man awkwardly hopped from one to the other, praying that he didn't lose his balance or miss the next stone altogether. Behind him, the shape of the fast-approaching dragon loomed, roaring in fury, now accompanied by yet another black dragon. Caught off guard, Shiryu felt himself falling backwards and desperately tried to regain his balance, thankful that Shun was now behind him and pushing hard.
 
“Hurry, hurry!” Seiya urged, watching Shiryu proceed with anxiety.
 
“You think this is easy?” Shiryu growled in irritation, just as one dragon unleashed a jet of flame right behind him. He jumped onto the next stone and gave a cry of surprise as the creature, now infuriated, thrashed its tail into the liquid and sent a swell through the pond. Somehow managing to keep his balance, Shiryu felt himself flying forward and landing on the ground. He felt hands-Seiya's, probably-pulling him upwards and he staggered to his feet, running forward clumsily. Now there were three dragons chasing the group, with the two-headed dragon in front. Behind them, the ground shuddered and crumbled as scorching hot flames seared the earth.
 
By some twist of fortune, they found themselves in a small dip, with a number of what appeared to be man-sized burrows leading downwards. The dragons were getting closer and one breathed out a jet of flame, temporarily obscuring the land in smoke. As it cleared, Seiya made out a dark shape coming closer. “It's another dragon!” Sparta hollered.
 
“No, it's not…” Seiya squinted at the feathery wings, and then he realized. “It's a griffin!” Saga and his men appeared out of the distance, growling and rattling along. “And Saga!”
 
Seiya looked around desperately. The dragons were coming towards the tiny valley, whilst Saga and his men approached along the other pathway. “In here!” Corinth snapped before heaving his bulk through the hole. Shun screeched in agreement and soon they all found themselves falling downwards.
 
The dragons skidded to a halt just in front of Saga's men, one coming to rest directly in front of the Gemini Saint. The blue-haired man slowly backed away, trying to find an escape but seeing none. As the dragon came closer, Saga closed his eyes and wished that he had a smarter band of mercenaries, who would have at least kept Seiya around. The thing opened its mouth, revealing a set of long, dangerously sharp fangs and breathing its foul breath into the man's face, and Saga smashed his fist into the creature's face with all his might. What a wonderful day, he thought irritably.
 
The tunnel echoed with screams and shouts as the group fell out into a small rocky chamber, with Seiya landing on top of the dragon and Shun flying out unharmed. Just as the brown-haired boy staggered to his feet, Shiryu shot out of the tunnel and landed on Seiya, both of them groaning. Seiya looked around. “Are you sure we're safe down here?” He asked the dragons.
 
“We're safer down here than it is up there,” Sparta replied. Hopping around, Corinth attempted to extract a splinter of rock from his tail, flicking the offending object away and inadvertently hitting Shiryu in the head, causing the other to collapse again. “We've been bullied by those dragons since we were two hundred years old!” Sparta continued to mumble.
 
“Were we ever that young?” Corinth dramatically asked, holding a claw to his chest and looking skywards.
 
Sparta sighed in impatience. “Of course we were, you moron.”
 
“I am not a moron,” The other snapped back.
 
“Yes you are.”
 
“No I'm not!”
 
“Yes you are.”
 
“No I'm not.”
 
Shiryu growled as he got to his feet. “With the way you bicker, I'm surprised you haven't friend each other.” Both heads looked equally shocked.
 
“Fry?” Corinth asked. “We can't even simmer.” He coughed out a small puff of smoke to emphasise his point.
 
“Yeah,” Sparta agreed. “You see, unlike most dragons, he can't even breathe fire or fly. Sad, really.”
 
Corinth scowled at this perceived insult. “Well, excuse me, Mr. Self-Denial, but we can't breathe fire or fly.”
 
“Only because you're holding me back! If I didn't have you, I'd be doing a lot of things!” Seiya stared at the two dragons, unable to hold back a snicker as they launched into song, accompanied by matching actions and remarkably in tune with each other.
 
“I'd be rocking with the dinos
Swinging with the rhinos
I'd de-dragonize this cave in a minute
”Sparta,” they would sing
'Cause I would be the dragon king
I would love this world without you in it!
If I didn't have you!”

”If you didn't have me?” Corinth broke in.

”If I didn't have you!” Sparta growled.

”Well, how about if I didn't have you, huh?”

”Oh, what I could be if there was only me!
Oh, what I'd do if I didn't have you!”

Seiya hastily tried to calm the pair down. “Stop bickering and get your act together!”

”Act?” Corinth suddenly asked. “Did someone say act? I can act!
If only I had separate parts
My career would be the arts
I'd be the star of Sanctuary…”
”You'd be the half that the whole world forgot!
If I didn't have you!”

”I should be so lucky!” Sniped Sparta.

”If I didn't have you!” Insisted Corinth.

”Oh, wait! You'd be dead!”

”Oh, what I could be if there was only me!
Oh, what I'd do if I didn't have you!
Oh, what I'd do if I didn't have you!” Both sang.

”Trapped! Aah! Trapped!”

”Stuck here with you for 500 years!”

”Oh dear, it's learned to count.” Corinth looked upwards as though praying for patience.

”If you'd got me a good lawyer I would have split 400 years ago.”

”Now, listen here, pal! I didn't come here to be insulted!”

”Oh? Where do you usually go?”

Corinth sighed and returned to his fantasies. “I'd be a fire-breathing lizard!”
“I'd be one high-flying wizard!” Retorted Sparta.

”You'd be nothing without me! You'd be extinct! You'd cease to be!” Corinth shot back.

”I'm so tired of your nagging!”

”And I'm so tired of your bragging!”

”Without me you'd have no brain. . .”

”. . . with which to think!” They both sang in unison.

They returned to their respective wishes, singing in counterpoint. Seiya was busy watching whilst Shiryu dusted himself off and wished that the horrifying noise would just stop. It had been a long time since he had had to contend with a large number of people in one echo-y cave.
 
“I'd be rocking with the dinos,
Swinging with the rhinos…” Sang Sparta.
 
“If only I had separate parts,
My career would be the arts…” Corinth nearly bawled.

”I would love this world without you in it!
If I didn't have you!”

”This way! Let me lead!” Corinth hummed as he imagined trying to teach Sparta how to dance, dragging him all around the dance floor.

”No, this way, twinkletoes!” Sparta imagined throwing Corinth's separate body over a cliff.

”Life could be so sweet if these were both my feet!
What I'd do if I didn't have you!”

Seiya clapped politely as the two finished their song and turned to head down further into the tunnel. “Come on, Shiryu!” The dragon followed behind him, Sparta making crude jokes. Shiryu followed just behind, relying on Shun to guide him through the cave.
 
Twenty minutes' walk later, they found themselves atop a cliff with a view of the entire land. Shun hastily warned Shiryu not to walk over the edge, whilst the hermit breathed a sigh of relief and turned to look at the rest of the group. “Well, the good news is, we're out of dragon country. The bad news is,” He looked at Corinth and Sparta. “this is where we say goodbye.”
 
Corinth immediately protested. “But you can't leave us here! If we try to go back, we'll be banished! Ostracised! Exiled!” His head drooped at the very thought.
 
“Not to mention kicked out,” Sparta added as they headed back into the cave.
 
Seiya felt truly sorry for the dragon. “Why?” He asked.
 
“We just broke the dragons' golden rule,” Sparta sighed.
 
“What, never wear brown shoes with a suit?” Corinth piped up.
 
Sparta smacked his counterpart. “Idiot. Never help a human.”
 
They were interrupted by Shun and Shiryu. “Come on, Seiya,” Shiryu said. “We must make camp before dark.”
 
“Oh, camp,” leered Sparta as he looked at his other head.
 
“Shiryu, let's take them with us,” Seiya begged. “Please.” Shiryu wanted to scream, but he didn't think that he could say no after hearing that tone in the brown-haired boy's voice.
 
“Oh…I suppose…” He grudgingly agreed. Then he whirled around to glare at the dragons. “But no more singing!” They began to make their way down the slope, Shiryu at the front and the dragon behind them.
 
“So how do you feel about interpretive dance?” The irrepressible Corinth asked. Shiryu did not deign to respond.
 
Saga:
 
They had stopped to eat, roasting the dragon that Saga had successfully managed to knock out. The mutated chicken balanced the first plate of freshly roasted meat on its head and ran up to the Gemini Saint, who was sitting with the griffin. “Dragon a la King,” The animal squawked. Saga grabbed the chunk of meat and bit into, eating quickly and neatly. With an intimidated laugh, the chicken backed away.
 
Saga sighed and began to speak, although it wasn't clear as to whom the words were addressed to. “Now,” he mildly commented, “I am reduced to chasing a blind man, a little girl, a mutant dragon and a pigeon.” The griffin, which had been drooling at the thought of food, stopped with a guilty look on its beaked face. “Find them all,” growled Saga, tossing the remains of the meat into the air, “and report back to me.” The griffin deftly caught the dragon meat in one claw and began to eat, surprisingly daintily for such a savage-looking creature. “Do you hear me?” He barked. The griffin glanced downwards.
 
“Sorry, Master,” it sheepishly replied. “My mouth was full.” Saga sighed.
 
“Typical. Out of all the evil creatures in the world, I have to find one with table manners.” Behind him, the gigantic creature took off. “And no mistakes, d'you hear?” He yelled after the griffin. He looked down and noticed the axe-headed chicken. “You!' He barked. “Go meet up with the group heading for Sanctuary and tell them we'll meet up as soon as we've got Excalibur!” The chicken scuttled off. He smiled, imagining the day Sanctuary would be his.
 
The smell of roasting meat drifted downwards, soon reaching the noses of the two dragons. “I'm starving,” grumbled Sparta. “All this heroic stuff has really worked up my appetite.” He grinned at the smell of the meat. “Hey, something smells delicious!” For once, Corinth couldn't agree more.
 
They soon arrived in a small clearing, where Shiryu decided that pressing on would not be a good idea. “Well, here's where stop for the night,” He announced.
 
“Stop?” Seiya questioned. “But what about Athena's Staff?”
 
Shiryu sighed. “No one travels in the Enchanted Forest after dark,” he pointed out.
 
Seiya glared. “Well, my father, Leo Aiolia, would have!” Shiryu stiffened at the name, but Seiya was too wrapped up in himself to see the other's reaction.
 
Meanwhile, Corinth and Sparta were rubbing two twigs together, desperately trying to make a fire. “Come on, light my fire,” Sparta repeated as he desperately tried to create a spark. Corinth impatiently grabbed the stick and looked pityingly at the other head. “You flame-retarded dragon,” he wryly told the other as he tried to make a fire.
 
Unable to control his temper, Sparta interrupted the other. “Hey, Corinth! You made fire!” The other looked down hopefully. “Nope, my mistake,” The chubby head commented. “Just hot air.” Corinth was about to stab the other with the twig when it suddenly squealed and wriggled out of his hand. As though on cue, the pile of `twigs' that the dragon had gathered all rose and rushed off into the woods. The two heads stared at each other in bewilderment before taking off after their escaping `woodpile'.
 
“Seiya, I must tell you something.” The brown-haired boy looked at him, confused. Shiryu had never actually initiated anything remotely close to a conversation even though they had traveled with each other for two days now, and suddenly he wanted to say something other than `Quiet'? “I knew your father.” Seiya's eyes widened. “I used to live in Sanctuary. I was a stable boy there, but I dreamed of one day becoming a Saint. One evening, there was a fire. I rushed to save the horses, but…well, I was hurt.” Shiryu paused, remembering the horse that had reared up in panic, kicking him in the face and causing him to fall to the ground. “At first, all I could see were shapes. Then shadows. And finally, darkness. After I lost my sight, your father was one of the two Saints who still believed in me. In fact, he introduced me to Libra Dohko, who took over my training. But it was your father who taught me that a Saint's strength lies in his heart, and that his loyalty must lie with Sanctuary, and Athena. Any hope that I had of becoming a Saint died with him.”
 
Seiya felt embarrassed at the way he'd thought of Shiryu as a coward for not wanting to travel through the Forest at night. “I'm sure he wouldn't want you to give up,” he finally said. “I felt that way too,” he quietly said. “But I know that he wouldn't want me to give up either, and I know that he's always behind me. You're as good as any Saint, Shiryu.”
 
Shiryu didn't turn around. “You think so?” Seiya smiled, knowing that the hermit could probably sense it, even f he couldn't see.
 
Corinth and Sparta:
 
The twig scuttled deeper into the forest, giggling madly at the lumbering dragon wadding behind. “Hey, you little thing! Get back here!” Sparta growled as he chased the animal around a clearing, going in circles. It chattered unintelligibly, but both heads knew that it was laughing at them, only fuelling their ire. They skidded to a halt when they heard Shun, perched safely atop a hanging vine and laughing at them. Sparta immediately headed over, determined to stop the feathered creature from laughing ever again. Besides, falcon was supposed to be quite a delicacy, wasn't it? “Hey, birdie. I got three words for you: Dinner is served!” Shun gave a cry of surprise, but was too slow as he was snatched up by the dragon and shoved unceremoniously into Sparta's mouth. Smiling in satisfaction, the shorter head relaxed when he noticed that Corinth had suddenly begun to twitch. A lump suddenly made its way up the other head's neck, and Shun flew out of Corinth's mouth with a cry of indignation.
 
Thanks for reading, and see you soon!