Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ If Only He Could Fly ❯ Stairs ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Stairs.


A million stairs.


Like the escalator to Hell, running up, falling behind. He was never going to make it to the top. Falling further behind. He needed to be to the top yesterday. He thought about falling altogether, into the fiery depths below. These thoughts came about because there was a demon waiting at the top. Waiting to push him back down. Down into the deep pits of molten lava at the bottom.


Unlike the furnace of below, the top was a blizzard. It always was a freezing spike of ice, and forever will be. She stood at the top waiting to push him back down. Down into the inferno for making her wait at the top. She will push him down and make him climb two million stairs for her. Making her wait even longer.


Two million stairs seemed a long time to wait. If only he could fly. If only she hadn’t pushed him down the first time.


With the lick of the flame on his back and the brisk breeze on his face he pushed forward. Three million stairs he has walked now. Always the sight of the snowstorm in front and the blazing depths below. He felt horrible. He tried and he tried. He’s surmounting the ever increasing stairs, but how much longer could he try? Besides, it would be better to stay in the sun than to face the blizzard or be kicked into the hellhole.


Yoh Asakura awoke instinctively at four AM. This time, instead of going back to sleep, or begging for sleep, he silently got up, dressed, and put his futon away. He found Anna asleep in her room, and left her as found. Packing minimal items, he caught the bus and left for the Asakura complex.


He couldn’t climb anymore stairs.


Anna Kyoyama awoke to the shutting of the front door. Blinking sleep away she put away her futon and went out to wake Yoh. Upon seeing an empty room she felt angry. After examining the house her angry washed into despair.


He arrived at the complex by mid-afternoon. Welcomed and questioned by his grandparents, but he took it all in sparingly. He adjusted himself into his old room and fell asleep.


Despair ran through her veins like the ice that had formed around her. She saw him coming, knew he was late, but still coming. She had planned to punish him when he reached her, to teach him not to keep her waiting. But he stopped. Stopped climbing the stairs. He looked exhausted, heartless, dead. And she hated him for that. Hated that he stopped.


The ice had started to form around her. Locking her to the spot on the top of the mountain. Slowly making it so that she couldn’t move, because she hadn’t moved. If she didn’t move soon she’d be waiting forever. Without him to save her.


He stood on the steps, looking up at the ice storm. She needed him, but he needed her more. He needed her not to push him down the stairs again. He wanted to save her, he just didn’t need to. If only he could fly…


If only he could fly, he could save her. But he could not. She had to save herself, and him. She had to be the one to move. She had to be the one to surmount the stairs. She had to be the one to tempt the flames. She had to fly.


Yoh awoke in his room in the Asakura complex, both with chills and sweating. Wrapping the blanket around himself he stepped out into the fresh evening air. The leaves were turning over, welcoming in the icy winter air. He moved around, crunching the leaves underfoot, moving toward the complex’s main gate.


He laid down in a pile of leaves that had fallen into the complex from the side of the mountain. He starred out into the now visible stars. His eyelids were just about to shut when an angel flew into his vision.


“You waited.” Was the quiet greeting from the angel, Anna Kyoyama. She stepped over his prone form and kneeled by his side.


“You came.” He replied as he sat up. Anna pushed him back down into a kiss. When they parted Yoh looked up at Anna and laughed, “Your wings are beautiful”.