Shugo Chara Fan Fiction ❯ To follow a dream ❯ Memories of once upon a time ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 1
 
Memories of once
upon a time
 
 
“Mmph?”
That was the only sound that came out of Amu's mouth. She tried to open her eyes, but she couldn't. The sun was shining outside, but the curtains were blocking the light. Ran turned around to find something to wake up Amu and noticed it. Using the little string with an attached bell to it she moved the curtains away and let the sunshine spread across the whole room.
“Ugh. No!” - Amu said when the sudden light blinded her sleepy eyes and she quickly put a pillow over her face.
“Come on, Amu-Chan! Time to wake up!” - Miki said while trying to tickle her right leg. But Amu gave her a slight kick which sent the shugo chara flying into one of the socks on the floor.
“Ouch!” - Miki mumbled with her face in where the toes are supposed to go.
“Mmph! Just five more minutes and I'll jump out of bed.” - Amu yawned into the pillow on top of her.
Ran then thought for a sec and when an idea popped into her head she flew close to Amu's ear and whispered:
“You know Amu-Chan…I heard that upper class guy you like so much is waiting for you downstairs. He wants to walk you to school, because he has feelings for…”
“I do NOT like or have any interest in that chimpanzee. His brain is probably the size of a pebble. And yesterday was Friday, so no school today, Ran. ”
“Got you to wake up” - Ran winked at her.
Amu didn't like being teased in the morning…or at any time really. She threw her pillow at Ran.
“Haha! You missed!” - Ran sticked her tongue out at Amu.
“Why you little annoying…” - And Amu quickly got up trying to get Ran.
“You made her get up, Ran ~desu!” - Su said happily and clapped her tiny hands.
“Yay!” - Miki mumbled holding only one hand up powerlessly. She was still on top of the sock with her legs in the air and her head completely buried and not seen.
“I'm a genius. I've always known it!” - Ran said while flying away from Amu's grips. But when Amu reached to grab her she slipped on a skirt that was on the floor and ended up tripping.
“Yeah! An evil genius! You made Amu-Chan trip and almost crash on top of me” - said a grumpy Miki while she was fixing her hat. Not only was her bed head a problem now, but her hat had folded in three.
“You three are such a pain in my butt! I asked for just five more minutes of sleep.” - Amu said with a really angry tone. She was still on the floor with a sweater on her head.
“Wow, you really need to clean your room Amu-Chan.” - Miki said when looked around. There were clothes all over the floor. School work on top of her laptop and mangas were sticking out from the shelves.
“It's just a little…mess. You'd understand Miki.”
“*cough* Yeah, just a little tiny mini bomb had exploded here. *cough*” - Ran decided to tease Amu some more by adding sarcasm into her words.
“Why you stupid…” - Amu said angrily and looked coldly at Ran. Through the years her charas sure had changed. It was as if when Amu changed a little and so did they. Ran had grown up to be quite rebellious. Miki started being more judgmental and concerned. And Su…well, she hadn't changed at all. She had always hated when Amu and Ran had arguments and Su would try to take their attention away by saying the first thing that popped into her head .She decided to try with that method again…
“Hey, Amu-Chan. Do you remember what happened four years ago? ”  - Su blurted out the wrong thing at the wrong time.

“Four Years ago?”
“Yeah, it's…kind of like an anniversary.”
“Huh?” - Amu was confused.
Amu got up and stepped next to the wall that was facing her messy desk and looked at the calendar. She moved her finger through the past weeks slowly while trying to figure out which date it was. She suddenly stopped. Her eyes widened in surprise. Her golden orbs were opened completely as if she was never sleepy. Amu couldn't move her whole body. She couldn't even pull her finger away. It was like she was paralyzed.
“Amu-Chan…” - Miki mumbled quietly.
“An anniversary? Wow, great thinking, Su!” - Ran said sarcastically trying to make Su realize what she said and fix it somehow.
“Ok, ok! Amu-Chan, never mind what I said. Hey, here's a great idea. Let's get some taiyaki for breakfast and maybe…” - Su quickly threw the words out of her mouth.
“Taiyaki…Ikuto…” - Amu interrupted Su. She hadn't moved an inch. His name…it was like throwing a rose down her throat. His name was beautiful to her, but the spikes of the rose hurt her. And she couldn't swallow it either. A shiver went down Amu's spine and she slowly moved her finger from the date on the calendar. With her still shaking hand she reached for her not open permanent marker set. Her knees bended quickly, but inside Amu was struggling to move. Still shaking, she opened the package. At first Amu took out a black marker, but after a minute of thinking she returned it. Then she took out a bright purple one. Then Amu slowly drew a circle around that date. The whole time her charas were only watching her on the side. Even Ran felt bad for teasing her earlier and thought this had been all her fault.   
“Amu-Chan…” - Miki said quietly.
“~desu” - Su said with her face in her palms.
“I actually feel…kind of bad” - Ran said. And she thought she was the always-in-a-good-mood chara. Guess she couldn't cheer up even herself now.
The three just watched Amu in silence after that. They didn't know what to do. Amu had never paid attention to circling dates on her calendar. In fact she always said: “Dates are only numbers. As long as I know what day it is I don't need a calendar.” Even if you pushed a pencil up her nose she'll refuse to write anything on her calendar. It was just a strange part of her character. Suddenly Amu turned around and said:
“Soooo, who's up for Taiyaki?” - She said to her charas with a forced grin on her face. Amu had never been good at lying and that included fake smiling. Her charas knew that, but they didn't give it a second thought when it involved yummy snacks. Especially if it would get Amu to relax a little and not think too much about what day it was. So all three of them agreed.
“Ok then. All of you go down stairs and try to locate the Mum's secret snack hiding place. I'll join you in a moment.”
“Don't take too long Amu-Chan!” - Su was the last chara to go out of the room.
“I won't! Just got to change!” - Amu said and when everyone was gone Amu closed the door and took her bag. She sat on the edge of her bed and started going threw her things. DS light, handbag with make up, headphones, and all sorts of junk…Amu sure had changed! She finally found what she was looking for and took out her cell phone. It was a Samsung E900. She it slided it open and went through her phone numbers. She stopped at Ikuto's. Amu didn't move then. It wasn't like before though. She had all the power over her body and could easily press the green button and call him. But she didn't have the courage too. Was she…scared?
“Your radiance…I can't quite sense it” - A voice said behind Amu.
“Huh?” - Amu suddenly turned around to see who it was and saw that Dia was out of her egg. Amu had forgotten about her forth chara.
“Oh Dia! I didn't notice you were…”
“Amu-Chan…are you confused?” - Dia interrupted her. Amu looked at her cell phone's screen again. Dia was the only chara Amu had to be always honest with.
“Yeah…I guess I kinda am.”
“Is it because of today's date?”
Amu's eyes widened in shock. Had Dia listened to her conversation with Ran, Miki and Su from her egg? Had she…eavesdropped? Amu just looked down and didn't answer. Dia only made a small smirk and said something really quietly. Then she flew over to the calendar and her little hands touched the place where Amu had drawn at least ten circles with the marker. Amu just looked up to see what she was doing. Dia's hands had turned purple because the marker hadn't dried completely yet. She looked at her palms.
“Purple, huh? When you mix pink and blue…”
Amu blushed really hard. She hid her face and looked down again so a few strands of her hair could cover up her cheeks and eyes. Dia understood everything.
“…you get purple, right Amu-Chan?” - Dia wasn't foolish. The question was a way of her asking: “You miss a certain blue haired boy don't you?” and Amu knew that.
“Mhm…yes. I suppose. Go ask Miki, she…”
“Amu-Chan, weren't you the one who always said dates were only numbers. Why should today be any different?”
Amu looked up to see that Dia was right in front of her. She was slightly touching Amu's left hand.
“Today will be the day you sing Amu-Chan, I know it. Then your radiance will surely shine again.”
“Dia…what are you?” - Amu pursed her lips to ask, but Dia then let go of Amu's hand and flew back into her egg. Her little hands had left two small purple spots on Amu's knuckles.
“The day I…sing.” - Amu didn't really understand what Dia meant. She didn't remember the last time she had ever sung. Why would she today? Amu starred at the two purple dots on her hand for a few seconds and then she heard Ran calling her.
“Coming!” - Amu yelled and quickly put away her cell phone along with the rest of her bag. She put on a skirt and a T-shirt. She tied a part of her long hair with a “X” hair clip. Some things will never change…
She quickly went down the stairs to find her charas flying around and going threw all the cupboards in the kitchen.
“Wait, mum would get angry if you…where is she anyways? She should have woken up by now.” - The clock on the counter said 11:15 AM.
“Amu-Chan….” - Ran said while holding a little yellow paper with something written on it.
“What's this?” - Amu took it and saw that it was with her mother's handwriting:
“Going to a photo shoot with Ami. Be back for dinner. Love Mama and Papa”
 
“Guess I can do whatever I want today.” - Amu said and threw the paper into the trash can.  Then she started going threw all the cupboards searching for breakfast. After a few minutes Amu said:
“Strange. There's no taiyaki left.”
“What should we have for breakfast then Amu-Chan?” - Miki asked and flew over to see Amu's expression.
“How about we go out and get some? In fact…Let's spend the whole day outside. Some fresh air would definitely be a good idea.” - Amu really needed to get her mind off of things and this seemed like a pretty good way to do it.
“Yay!” - All three of the charas screamed in happiness. But then the phone rang. Amu reached across the counter to get it.
“Hello?” - Amu said.
“Hinamori Amu?” - A voice very familiar to Amu answered. There was no way she could miss who it was.
“Tadase- kun! I didn't know you'd call. What's going on?”
“Well, I need to talk to you…I feel like I need a little support.”
“Support? What do you mean?”
“I'll explain later. Just come over to the park in 15 minutes, is that okay?” - And Tadase hung up. Amu starred at the phone for a while. She was confused. Even though the guardians had split up a couple of months ago she still remained friends with them. There were new younger kids with charas who took over of the guardian's chairs. But what bothered Amu was what Tadase said…she didn't understand him.
“Amu-Chan? What did Tadase-kun say?”- Ran asked.
“He wants to meet with me at the park. Come on guys, he sounded like something bad was going on.” - Amu was already putting on a jacket and getting her keys from the living room. All of them quickly got out of the house and without hesitation Amu ran as fast as she could. She thought Tadase was in trouble. Support? Did he want help in a battle? Were there “X”-eggs? Amu had to hurry up to find out. When she got near the park Amu stopped running to take a breath, she was a bit tired. Then she looked around to find Tadase sitting on a bench. He didn't look like he had noticed her.
“Tadase-kun!” - Amu screamed to get his attention and he turned around to see her.
“Hinamori Amu…” - Tadase didn't say anything else so Amu went and sat on the bench. She was on his left.
“Why did you call me over? I thought you were in a battle and needed help…”
“Huh? A battle? No, and besides that's the job of the new guardians and not ours.” - Tadase smiled a little and that made Amu blushed and turned her face around so he couldn't see her cheeks. She still had a crush on him, but she thought of their relationship as more of very good friends. He was still very important to her.
“Amu-Chan…I'm…moving away tomorrow.” - Tadase said and looked down at the ground. Amu's heart stopped beating. Moving away? Was he joking with her? It didn't seem like he was though. Amu just starred at him. She didn't know what to say.
“Tomorrow?” - This was the only thing Amu could mumble.
“Yes, tomorrow by this time…I'll probably be on a plane flying far away from here.”
“You're going on vacation right?” - Amu said in a silly tone, but right after that she got really sorry she had said anything at all.
“Amu-Chan…I'm moving away to America. My dad got a job there. I'll…probably never see you again after today.” - Tadase said with sadness in his tone. Amu's heart suddenly started to beat really fast. It was like there was something hitting her on the chest. Never see you again? The words were so familiar. She couldn't even bear to say a word. Could everything be happening all over again? Would she lose someone special to her yet again?
“Tadase-kun…” - She couldn't say anything else. The pain in her chest didn't let her to.
“I wanted to say goodbye to you in person. Hopefully one day we'll cross paths again.”
“Tadase-kun…” - Amu repeated. She started thinking this was a dream. Maybe even deja-vu. Why was it today? On this exact date!
“Amu-Chan…I'll miss you terribly.” - Tadase said and touched her hands. She couldn't believe this was happening. Tadase then suddenly embraced her and she hugged him back. This lasted for a couple of minutes. None of them could let go. They didn't want to ever let go with the fear they'll lose each other. They could always keep a long-distance friendship, but it wouldn't ever be the same. Amu didn't want to lose anymore people…not on this date, not ever. After some time they let go and Tadase took a last goodbye with Amu and then went back to his house to pack the rest of his stuff. Amu just looked at him as he got further and further to his house.
“Amu-Chan…” - Miki said. She was concerned.
“We're sorry that this had to happen.” - Ran continued her words.
“~desu!” - Su mumbled.
“You guys… it's ok. I'll live through it. I just need to get my mind off of things today.” - Amu said slowly. Then she started to walk slowly away. Tears went down her cheeks, but she had her head down and the charas didn't see. But deep down inside Amu knew nothing could change what happened today. She thought:
“Maybe I'll wake up in my bed after this nightmare is over.”
*  *  *
The rest of the day passed slowly for Amu. Her charas were trying to keep her busy and entertain her so she wouldn't feel down. But nothing changed her mood. They went to a sale with 55% off everything and Amu bought a pretty denim skirt with two matching belts and a pair of sandals with flower patterns on the sides. She was watching TV now, while brushing her long hair. Amu's mind was still full of questions, she felt like there was something missing. She didn't pay attention to the TV though, she was only switching the channels. Amu suddenly stopped on one program. It was the fortune lady who had predicted so many stuff for Amu in the past. It had been a long time since Amu had watched her show. Her horoscope was:
“Listen to your heart and your heart will not fail you. Follow your memories to the place that was once upon a time.”
Amu's eyes widened with shock. She didn't expect that. She just starred at the TV screen. Her head was a mess right now. She couldn't think straight.
“Amu-chan?” - Ran said quietly and looked at Amu's expressionless face.
“Daijoubu?” - Su asked. (Are you ok? in Japanese)
Amu didn't answer anything. She just kept starring even though the show was already over. The she suddenly turned the TV off and got up. She started putting her jacket on.  
“Amu-chan, where are you going?” - Miki was confused with situation.
“Yeah, it's 5:30 PM.  Your parents will be back soon.” - Ran pointed out.
“Where are you going ~desu?” - Su only repeated Miki's question.
“To the place in my memories…the place that was once upon a time…” - That was Amu's only answer.
THE END
 
 
 
 
1