Slam Dunk Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Filling The Spaces Between ❯ Introducing... ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AN: Please insert standard disclaimers. Most characters aren't mine, I'm borrowing them from the worlds of Slam Dunk and Rurouni Kenshin. And yes, there will be people from RK here. In fact the two main characters are gotten there. My sole original character is Kaname.

PS: Please review my first official fic!

Chapter 1: Setting the Drama

"Rukawa Kaede. Paging Rukawa Kaede. Please proceed to the principal's office."

"BWAHAHAHAHA!!! You're in trouble now, Kitsune! They've finally realized that you're just trouble for Shohoku and are going to kick you out!" Sakuragi Hanamichi burst out. "And Haruko-san will open her eyes and see that the one who deserves her is the Tensai Sakuragi!" This last was said tearfully and if people looked at his eyes, they would see pink hearts.

"Dream on, Hanamichi!" The Sakuragi Guntai predictably tried to burst Sakuragi's bubble.

"TEME! What do you mean by that?! Take this… and that! And you too, Ohkusu!"

Mito Youhei laughed at the antics of his friends. "Although, I wonder why they're calling for him. Neh, Haruko-chan, what do you think?"

Akagi Haruko, who wasn't paying attention to anything but Rukawa's retreating back, gave a start and reluctantly faced Youhei. "Ano, Mito-kun, I don't really know. You don't think it's serious, do you?"

As the two were speaking, Haruko's two friends suddenly turned to her. "Neh, Haruko, isn't that your brother?"

Sakuragi immediately halted his abuse of his friends and said, "That clinches it. If Gori's going with him, then he's definitely in trouble!" He then went back to daydreaming of the perfect life he would have without the troublesome 'rival'.

"Onii-chan…AAH! Ayako-san and Kogure-san are going there too!" Haruko followed the two upperclassmen.

"Mate! Haruko-san!"

"Haruko!"

"Hanamichi!"

The rest decided to follow as well.

Unfortunately for them, and for the other students who were hoping to hear good gossip based on Sakuragi's exclamations, they were intercepted by another teacher and sent back to their classrooms.

Once school was over, the basketball team and hangers-on (i.e. Haruko and friends plus the Sakuragi Guntai) headed to the basketball court.

Rukawa was already practicing alone while Akagi Takenori, the captain of the team, was discussing things with Anzai-sensei, the coach.

"Poor Hanamichi. It looks like Rukawa hasn't been kicked out. Too bad!"

"Urusai!"

"Sakuragi Hanamichi!" Ayako, the team manager, called his attention with a swipe from her huge paper fan. "Stop talking and start practicing if you don't want Akagi-sempai to notice you aren't working!"

"Hai, Ayako-san."

Meanwhile, the other members of the team were busy gossiping about the famous meeting that afternoon.

"Oy, Kogure! What was up at that meeting Rukawa and Akagi had?" Mitsui Hisashi wanted to know.

"Yeah, is there something going on?" Miyagi Ryota asked as well.

"Maa," Kogure Kiminobu, vice-captain of the team chuckled nervously. "Anzai-sensei will tell us about it."

However their curiosity was doomed to remain unanswered until they were nearly through with the day's practice session

.

Akagi's voice cut through the bustle of activity. "Minna! Gather around!" As they settled around the coach's chair, the captain turned to him and said, "Anzai-sensei, please start."

"Aah, minna-san, you're here." The mild tone did not serve to dispel the tension.

"I'm sure you all know Rukawa-kun was called to the principal's office this afternoon." As one, all their eyes swerved to stare at the lanky freshman leaning against the wall with a standoffish, more standoffish than usual, expression. "Akagi-kun was called as well since this matter may have an impact on Shohoku's basketball team."

"Masaka!" Haruko whispered.

"HUH!" was the reaction of the guntai. Was Sakuragi correct in interpreting the situation?

"Fujimiya-sensei, Rukawa-kun's homeroom and math teacher, has lodged a complaint against Rukawa-kun. It seems that Rukawa-kun is always asleep in his classes─"

Mitsui interjected, "He's always asleep in ALL his classes!"

Anzai-sensei continued, "Rukawa-kun, no matter how many times his attention is called, does not make an effort to pay attention in class or participate. In Fujimiya-sensei's words, 'since the student will not mend his ways, I recommend his suspension'," Anzai-sensei paused as varied exclamations of "No way!", "But we need Rukawa-kun to win!", "He can't do that!", "BWAHAHAHA! No fear as long as Tensai Sakuragi is here!" The last predictably from the self-proclaimed genius.

"Ahem! Anzai-sensei wasn't finished yet!" Akagi roared.

"Arigato, Akagi-kun. The matter of Rukawa-kun's less than stellar grades was brought up─"

"Heheh!"

"Urusai, Sakuragi! Your grades aren't that much better!"

"You keep quiet too, Ryochi!"

"Yamero!" Went Ayako with her fan.

"ITE!" Went two voices.

Anzai-sensei went on without missing a beat, "─as well as the rumored fights that go on in the basketball club."

Instant silence met his words. Guilty looks were exchanged among some members with the exception of a few, notably Rukawa, who was looking off into the distance.

"Ahem. Fortunately, Akagi-kun was able to stall the principal."

Sighs of relief were heard from all around.

"As long as Rukawa goes into counseling for his attitude."

Sweatdrops dropped to the floor from all around.

"Wait, there is more. It seems that Rukawa-kun has been living alone for the past year. His parents have been contacted and apparently, they want to meet all of you." Imperceptibly, the coach's eyes turned to the young man to gauge his reaction to the news.

Pandemonium struck.

Anzai alone noted the slight frown on Rukawa Kaede's face.

In another part of Japan:

"Hai, Kaname and I will reach Kanagawa tomorrow…I suppose we will see you there?"

The caller replied affirmatively and after saying goodbye, a female hand clicked the phone shut.

"Kaasan, what do you think onii-chan's been up to? I mean, this isn't like him." A young girl's voice spoke.

"From what I heard from his principal, causing trouble: sleeping in class, being cheeky to his elders, fighting, and ignoring the female population of his school." The older woman replied, a smile evident in her tone.

"But he's always been like that!"

"I know. They're probably going to try and pin it down on your father and me."

"I'd like to see them try."

"So would I."

Identical grins graced the faces of the two females and an onlooker could have sworn he saw fox ears on the both of them.

Post-chap AN: I've been wondering why nobody thought of these two people for Rukawa's parents. Ah well… According to a friend of mine, 'it's shocking at first but as you think about it, it gradually makes sense'.