Slam Dunk Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Filling The Spaces Between ❯ Slobbering and Bubbling Away ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

There will be a long author's note after the chapter. You have been warned.

Chapter 4

~Aoshi~

"Hai, Anzai-sensei. Tomorrow then. We look forward to meeting your wife." Megumi tucked the piece of paper containing the address in her purse and bowed to the coach, as did Aoshi.

The older man bowed in return, "It was a pleasure meeting the both of you, Aoshi-san, Megumi-san." And he moved off.

He and Megumi then made their way towards the school gate. They could see their children waiting: Kaede was standing by his bike, and Kaname was fidgeting a bit.

Once they had reached their children, they stopped and waited. And waited.

"Ano, how are we going to get home," Kaname burst out, glancing at both her parents, "I don't see a taxi coming and Saito-jisan isn't here anymore."

He and Megumi turned and blinked at each other. And blinked again, with Megumi gaining a small sweatdrop at the back of her head. They then turned back to the children.

"Well, I guess we simply have to walk." Megumi said with forced brightness. "Thank heavens we already left our luggage at the house before proceeding to the school, eh Kana?"

"Mm! What about yours, Tousan? Did you stop by the house too?"

A silent nod was his only reply. They all then started trudging all the way home, the older two hanging back and letting their offspring catch up with each other.

The silence between them was not uneasy but nor was it the easy comfortableness of old. Glancing at her out of the corner of his eye, he found her gazing at their surroundings with a slight smile on her face.

"Onii-chan! You can't hog your bike! I'm your younger sister; you should be letting me ride or carrying me at the very least." Kaname was tugging at the bicycle Kaede was walking. Kaede merely glared at her and clutched the bike closer.

He gave a silent sigh as Megumi rolled her eyes. "It seems like we never left at all," she commented exasperatedly, "one would think they were still children rather than teenagers. I never acted like this at their age. Neither did you, I suspect."

"They are still children. We were more mature at the same age because we needed to be. And you act as if you were their age sometimes."

She shot him a sharp glance, which softened as she saw the humor in his eyes. "Mou, so you still have a sense of humor. I wondered whether you'd gone back to thinking humor was an unproductive use of one's faculties."

His own gaze sharpened as she chuckled. "Humor itself is not unproductive. It is how you express it that determines whether it is unproductive or not."

She sighed in irritation and stopped to say, "I really should learn to take my losses gracefully. Ah well, at least it's only you and Saitou I lose to." She shrugged and then moved on.

***

As soon as the door opened, Kaname shot through only to trip over her own suitcase, which she had left near the entrance. Before she could fall though, a pair of hands stretched out to steady her.

"Whew! Thank Kami-sama you caught me, onii-chan! Thank you too! I love you so much! Thank you! Thank you!"

"…Whatever. And stop slobbering over me like a dog."

"I'm not slobbering like a dog! And you should accept a girl's thanks with grace, not by throwing it back into her face. One would think you weren't taught manners."

"Stop that. Kaede, did you prepare the bedding for us? Is there food in the house? Well don't just stand there! Move, move, move! You too, Kaname. Pick up your suitcase and bring it to your room." Their mother cut in, sending Rukawa to look for bed sheets and the like and Kaname to putting away her clothes in her bedroom.

Quicker than expected, the girl came down the stairs to find Megumi writing down a list of groceries.

"There you are! Go to the store and buy these things, ok? Bring your father and brother and while two of you are shopping, the other can get take-out. I don't have enough time to cook. This place isn't a pigsty but I think Kaede could have dusted thrice a week rather than once. It's unhealthy!"

"You haven't told onii-chan about 'that' have you, Kaasan," Kaname asked quietly, as she took the list from her mother's hand.

Megumi's face changed from its harassed expression to a guarded one. "No, he'll find out about 'that' soon enough," her eyes shifted, "Ah, Aoshi, Kana's got the grocery list. Kaede should be coming down now and then you three can leave."

As she spoke, the person in question came down the stairs, wordlessly handing Megumi her cell phone.

"Moshi moshi. Ah, Sanaka-san. Hai, I've got his files here with me. Hmm you can refer him to Ryoma-sensei or you could…" she half-turned away to concentrate on the call.

"Onii-chan! Come on, Tousan and I, we were waiting for you! We're going out to buy some things. So come on!" Still bubbling away, she dragged her brother out the door, followed by their father, who had paused to nod in farewell to Megumi.

Once her call was through, Megumi sighed and gazed around her. It really seems nothing has changed, outwardly at least. With an effort she snapped out of it and in a brisk tone ordered herself to "Stop drifting off, Takani Megumi, and start cleaning! Honestly, you're getting to be as flighty as Kaoru!"

***

The three of them had divided: the two males to the grocery and the girl to buy dinner for the four of them.

Aoshi and Kaede communicated who was going to get what through what seemed like telepathy as they merely looked at each other and nodded. Each went into action silently and quickly but differently. Aoshi would calmly examine his purchases while Kaede would just read the brand names, choosing those he was familiar with. For this reason, it was Aoshi who picked out the fresh produce. All the while, both were completely oblivious to the other people staring in wonder and the fainting schoolgirls who could not believe Rukawa Kaede, the man of their dreams, had decided to go shopping at exactly the same time they did. And with his father, who might be making a guest appearance in their dreams sometime tonight, too! How fortune smiled upon them on this night!

As they stepped out, both males gave a sigh of relief at leaving the grocery where they had felt like food being admired before being devoured.

Aoshi's eyes swerved to his son's as if asking where Kaname went to buy dinner. In response, Kaede's gaze swept both directions from the grocery they had just exited and then he shrugged, admitting he had no idea.

Right on cue, the entrance to the restaurant directly in front of them opened, revealing the person in question. She gave a smile upon seeing them, which grew into a look of confusion as she caught sight of more than a dozen faces pressed against the windows at her close male relations' backs.

~Megumi~

Dinner conversation was sparse as they were all too hungry to indulge in it, particularly she and Kaname, who would have contributed most of the discussion.

Afterwards, Kaede went outside to practice basketball and Kaname to her room to study. Aoshi most likely went off to clean the room where he used to meditate when they both still lived in this house. She hadn't touched it except for some light dusting. Good luck! I don't think Kaede's touched that part of the house in the last two months.

Checking upstairs, she saw Aoshi had taken the other guest room. He probably had the same thought she did: to leave their old bedroom to the other. Well, what's done is done. We'll probably each be more comfortable sleeping in the guest rooms. I never thought moving back in here, even temporarily, would be so stressful. Thinking of all the things necessary before the house would be livable by her standards, she gave a groan. I'm so tiredBut Kaede'sreally set on basketball. One more topic to be broached with Aoshi, I guess. We never expected this. How do we tell him about-NO! Worry about that later. Now isn't the time. And tomorrow is soon enough to speak about the other matter. "Tonight should be spent on Akito-san and his disease. And/or Mitsuki-chan and her heart problems. Not to forget about Shinji-kun and his respiratory ailment. And then there's…"

And she went on to do just that.

~Aoshi~

Well, that's done. He had finally gotten his meditation chamber to his liking. It was unbelievable how a mostly empty room could be so difficult to keep clean. And Kaede had always needed to be reminded before he would clean his own room. Oh, he kept things neat enough but it wasn't neat enough to please his mother and father.

Kaname had come down to say goodnight a while earlier. She made mention that her brother was still outside but would be coming in soon enough and that Megumi was using the study for her work. She even stayed to help him for a little bit and they caught up on a few things. She was doing well in school. Her mother was often busy working but made time for her when she needed it. On a side note, she told him Megumi seemed to be talking to herself more often. He told Kaname that was just a sign of stress and that her mother had often done that while pregnant. When she in turn asked her own questions, he replied with reserve. Yes, he was fine. Jiya was the same as ever. The Aoiya was doing well. At the mention of the Aoiya and Jiya, she had acquired a strange glint in her eyes. He had decided not to press her, however, and merely told her to go to sleep already.

He heard Kaede come in some time ago. His son's footsteps had wandered off first to the study then to this room. They had nodded goodnight to each other. Everything between them was the same as it had been when they last seen each other.

He closed the door behind him and checked if the doors were locked. Seeing nothing out of place, he was about to go to his bedroom when he saw the study's lights still open. Entering the room, he found Megumi asleep, her head cushioned in her arms. The slight frown creasing her forehead and the way she was biting her lip meant she was dreaming. The laptop was still on and medical journals were scattered around the chair. The sight brought a faint smile to his lips. He remembered similar incidents, particularly back when she was still in the early days of studying for her specialization, when she would fall asleep while reading patients' records in bed. One specific memory he treasured was of coming home to find Kaname, still a baby then, asleep in her arms; Kaede was asleep on the heavy book in her lap. She had awakened to his approach and raised drowsy eyes glimmering with laughter towards him. Eyes that seemed to say "Help! My limbs have fallen asleep and I can't move!"

He came to himself and, pushing her hair off aside, started to take her into his arms; his movements were arrested when he caught sight of her wedding ring─ or the lack thereof. Why should it surprise me so? We have been separated for… almost two years now. He shook his head and continued gathering her into his arms. Her slight frown eased and a sigh escaped her lips as she nestled her head under his chin. Carrying her thus, he went on upstairs.

He thought she would take the master's bedroom; apparently she hadn't, which left the other guest room. He took one last glance at her after laying her out on the bed. The moonlight drifted in from the window; glinted on a chain she wore around her neck and made her seem no older than when they first met, when…Stop! What's past is past. It is only right that she move on. He made his way into the room he had chosen as his own.

As the door closed shut behind him, the sleeping woman twitched and murmured a name too soft to hear.

***

AN: And my WAFF power is unleashed! LOL! Really, I'm more satisfied with the fluffy parts of this fic. It's not too much is it? Check back in a couple of weeks, though, and I'm probably going, "What was I thinking when I wrote THAT?!" When people who know me in real life see this, my whole image is going down the drain. Whatever, the alternate A/M cause is worthy of the sacrifice…even if it's my cool distant persona (for those of you face faulting in your seats, yes, my COOL persona)! I almost can't wait until I start the prequel, which I will begin after chapter 6 of this fic. Though I might post chapter 1 of the prequel in the middle of next week or later next week.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read my story! Hope you liked it! While you don't HAVE to review every chapter, it would help me a LOT. Because then I'd know what I'm doing right and whether people are enjoying the fruit of my labors. And it'll really help my self-esteem…I know that just sounds so pathetic, and you can feel free to walk away from me now, but I can't help it! ;) So I really, really am thankful for those who write reviews!

Just in case, anyone's interested, here are the other Aoshi/Megumi stories: Akal-Saris' A Hidden Smile (fanfiction.net) (subtle hints, wish it wasn't a stand-alone); limebaby's Pure Snow (also at ffn.net) (still hoping for a continuation); Ren'ai-chan's Meet Too Early (I got it from Daiji's site 'Poetry in Blue') (A/M but…); Sarah DeGidio's songfic 'In Another's Eyes' (Sorry, don't know where I got it); Kristen Elizabeth's To Be Loved (also at ffn.net) (it's good but…); TWHammer's Fox's Prey (also at ffn.net) (sort of A/M, focuses more on Megumi); Takani Megumi X's What Need Not Be Said (her website: http://www.webspan.net/~esusie/tmx/fanfic/index.html) (still waiting for the next chapters, they should be together!)

Yup, I used google and searched for "megumi" + "aoshi" + "fanfics" to get some of these. Went through around 10 pages of links. What can I say? I really wanted some Aoshi/Megumi! And when I found out there were too few, I had to write my own…which doesn't mean they'll end up together in this fic. They did get married and had children but they are separated now. I'm thinking of having them reconcile as of this chapter but a few days ago I was leaning towards a sadder ending…

Here are some Japanese - English equivalents (gotten from http://anneke.hispeed.com/anime/kenshin/mainkenshin.html for more):

-san = term of respect given to elders, superiors Mr/Miss/Mrs

-chan = for children, younger women, also term of affection for close relatives, friends

-kun = for younger males

-sensei = for teachers, doctors, manga authors, novelists

ahou = idiot, fool

do'ahou = idiot, fool (stronger term than ahou)

kitsune = fox

Mate! = Wait!

Arigato = thank you

Guntai = (really not sure here) gang, posse

Honto = really

Ojii-san/jii-san = grandfather

Ojisan/ji-san/jisan = uncle

Obasan/ba-san = aunt

Onii-chan = brother

Imouto-chan = little sister

Teme! = you…!

Kuso = shit

Senpai/sempai = senior/upperclassman

Yamero! = Stop it!

Ite/ Itai! = Ouch!

Urusai = shut up!

Hai = yes

Ano = Umm…

Minna = everyone/everybody

Masaka! = No way!

Watashi wa = I am…

(O)tousan = father

(O)kaasan = mother

Ohayou = hello

Furyou keikan = irresponsible policeman (or something like that)

Tensai = genius

Nani = What!

Oyaji = old man

Iie = no

Megitsune = foxy doctor or was it lady? (I forget)

Does anyone know how old the Slam Dunk characters are? Is anybody confused with the shifting from viewpoint-thought-3rd person? Please tell me so I can correct it. I'm still experimenting with writing styles here. If you think I do the SD characters so well, thank you so much!:) I find it easier to get into their heads actually. I need help with the RK characters. Please tell me if I make them OOC! The beginning of this chap was so hard to start. I find I write better when I'm sleepy before I sleep. See last part of current chapter for comparison. It's not as good, IMO, if I write while I'm sleepy because I woke up too soon. Look at chapter 2. It's a bit rambling. Of course I'm rambling here too. Oh drat, my pre-reader's already asleep! Just say the word if you want these long author's notes cut out; they're here just in case any of you feel like knowing how I am doing. Wow, four chapters in a week! (And each one longer than the last) Maybe I'll take a little break…Hmm…maybe not. Bye! Thanks again for reading!

PS. I'm NOT drunk while writing this. I'm just a little sleep-deprived, as I had to finish this chapter. But I'm going to have to post it tomorrow because my pre-reader's asleep. Advance thanks to the pre-reader for correcting this! Changed the font in hopes of making this chapter smaller. Did it work? The pre-reader doesn't think the WAFF is done so well, so I'm going to cut back on the WAFF for the next chapter.