Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ A Fox's Life ❯ Classic ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Standard disclaimers apply. Me broke, don't sue! ^_^;

Sorry for the long delay, there's just so many things left undone here. School's freaking me out! @_@ And I cant even update my fics on time! Gosh! Please bear with me.

Thank you for those who took time to read and review this one. Heartfelt thanks! *_^

A slight A/U, non-yaoi and OOC fic. Kaede had tried to forget someone in his past, and now it has come to haunt him and threatens to ruin him on the upcoming IH. Please read (AND REVIEW!! ^_^).

"A Fox's Life"

Chapter 11: Classic

Michiru went inside the gym and met Rukawa's other co-players on the way. They told her that he was already up the bleacher and is waiting for her.

She thanked them and went on her way to be with him.

"Did I took long?" she asked him as he held her hand while he took her to their seat.

"Not really," he replied. "I'm just worried we might not have seats anymore."

Michiru didn't spoke back. They sat next to his team mates who smiled upon seeing her.

She looked around. The gym was packed with people; Tomigaokans and Sayo students alike. She could see many unfamiliar faces shouting and chattering away, making the noise louder by the instant. Some were not students. Maybe their just basketball fanatics from the neighborhood, she thought.

The clamor got louder as she saw the players, from Sayo and Kaiken High, enter the gym. The cheers from both rival schools intensified as their respective star players waved to them.

The Tomigaokan team grinned amongst themselves upon seeing the reactions from the crowd.

"Just let them wait 'til our Rukawa plays," Toki Yamamoto proudly said. "I bet they'll have to save the cheers for us then."

The team laughed.

"Such noise," Michiru heard her boyfriend muttered against her ear. She just smiled at him.

"And here's the most popular among those show-offs," one Tomigaokan player said behind them.

Michiru traced the direction from where most cheers were coming from. And she saw Sayo High's team captain walk to their bench.

That's Sendoh…

As if she had called him, Sendoh automatically gazed towards their place in the bleacher. She was surprised upon locking eyes with him.

He smiled slightly and nodded courteously.

Michiru didn't know what to do so she just smiled back.

"You know him?"

She was startled by Rukawa's question. "Y-yeah! Just yesterday, in Sayo," she stammered.

Rukawa did not asked further, to her relief. What will I tell him anyway? That I played volleyball with Sendoh? I wonder what'll he react…

"Are you alright, Mi-chan? Your hands are cold," Rukawa asked her.

"H-huh?" she quickly took her hand from his grip. "I-I'm okay, Honey… I'm just gonna go to the washroom 'kei?"

"Do you want me to walk you there?"

She wailed her head. "Nah. I can manage, don't worry." she stood up. "I'll be back fast."

"Hurry. The game's going to start anytime. They're warming up now," Rukawa said pertaining to the players.

Michiru sighed in relief upon reaching the women's washroom. I think its unnecessary for me to tell him about that one-on-one game I had with Sayo's captain, she thought. Its no big deal, I guess.

She refreshed herself by combing her shoulder-length hair and applying a little powder on her cheek. She dubbed a small amount of cologne on her wrists and at the back of her ears.

Looking content on her reflection in the mirror, she went out of the ladies' room.

Just walking a few paces along the corridor, she almost jumped in shock when someone called her from behind.

"Hello Ms. Akiyama," the voice greeted her.

She instantly turned around to see who have startled her.

"S-sendoh!" she gaped in surprise. "What are you doing here? The game's about to start! You should be warming-up in the court by now," she said.

The spiky-haired smiled at the obvious worry in her features. "Its okay, Ms. Akiyama. You know… call of nature." he said amused of her concern. "I'm surprised I see you here."

Some coincidence, she thought. "Oh yeah, me too," she said nodding. "So, good luck I guess…?"

Sendoh's smile widened. "I'm sure we'll win, don't worry," he said.

Michiru's brows went up. "Uh-huh? And what makes you so sure about winning?"

The smile in Sendoh's face disappeared and his expression became serious. Staring directly in her eyes, "I dunno… I'm inspired."

Michiru's face lightened. Chuckling lightly, she replied. "Oww. So you find the Tomigaokans pretty, I suppose?"

"Pretty. But not as beautiful as you are," he said.

Michiru felt his face reddened. Sendoh was still staring down at her eyes. She was speechless. Nobody ever told her bluntly that she was that beautiful. Even Kaede. Sure she was used to people appreciating her, but no one was vocal in admiration. Till now.

In between stutters, she tried to speak. "Uhm… I'd better g-get back," she said.

Sendoh moved closer. Still gazing down her beautiful, innocent eyes, he asked. "Where are you going?" he amusingly teased.

The girl stepped back, was blushing profusely, and leaning with her left hand on a table behind her, she kept herself composed under his intense gaze.

Oh God… what's happening to me?

"To whom are you going back, Michiru?" Sendoh softly asked.

To my boyfriend! her mind screamed. To my boyfriend, to hell! She frowned when no words escaped her lips.

Her slightly parted lips enticed the still mesmerized Sendoh.

What are you doing to me, Michiru…?

Michiru shivered when she felt his face slowly nearing hers…

No…

He's face's just four inches away…

N-no…

Three inches…

No!

Two inches…

"Michiru!"

The voice sent them crashing back to earth at that instant. Her mind still blurry, she saw Rukawa standing across the corridor looking at them both. Sendoh shoved his face with his palm in frustration.

"Who are you?" Rukawa asked Sendoh with a threatening glare.

"Uhm… H-honey," she interrupted, noticing the anger in her boyfriend's eyes. "This is Sendoh Akira-captain of Sayo. Sendoh… this is Kaede Rukawa… my boyfriend," she introduced without looking at either of them.

Sendoh was raised his gaze at Rukawa. He offered his hand and smiled slightly at the man in front, whose facial expression didn't change even a bit.

Rukawa only looked at him. Instead of reaching for Sendoh's handshake, he pulled Michiru towards him and, without any words, motioned her to go back up the bleachers.

Michiru hesitated at first. She glanced fearfully at Sendoh who looked puzzled. Meeting Rukawa's eyes, she finally receded and walked away slowly.

When finally assured she was gone, Rukawa turned to go but spoke warily.

"Whatever it is in your mind, I suggest you forget about it."

And he left, leaving the confused Sendoh to himself.

After contemplating with what Rukawa had said, he smirked before leaving to join his team mates.

"We'll see."

Please leave me a review! Thanks! ^_^