Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ A Fox's Life ❯ Chill ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Standard Disclaimers Apply. Slam Dunk is in no way affiliated with me…I just love to screw up their lives in the purpose of making a story-my way. ^.^

A slight A/U, non-yaoi and OOC fic. Kaede had tried to forget someone in his past, and now it has come to haunt him and threatens to ruin him on the upcoming IH. Please read (AND REVIEW!! ^_^).

"A Fox's Life"

Chapter Thirteen: Chills

"Miss Michiru… we're here now."

"O-oh…"

The old Akiyama family driver quickly stepped out of the car and opened the car door for Michiru.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay, Miss…?" the driver asked.

The girl tried to smile, and she nodded. "Don't worry, I'll be alright…"

"Is Kaede-san going to take you home later?"

"H-huh?" was her confused question. "I-I don't know… I'll call home in case he doesn't. See you… and thank you, Hino-san-for taking me to school."

The driver smiled shyly at his master's daughter and scratched his head. "Its okay, Miss. Its been a long time since you took me along here… how time flies! Now you got somebody that fetches and takes you home, ne? I suddenly felt so old! Haha!"

"Y-yeah…"

The loud noise inside the classroom was a bit shushed when Michiru stepped inside. They gaped upon seeing that no tall man that holds her bag was following her. She knows they have gotten used to her boyfriend making sure she gets to her table safely-without any other guy swooning and making stupid remarks at her.

But this morning was really different.

Michiru made her way swiftly to her desk. She laid her bag behind her and looked outside the window. She did not dare look around to see the suddenly turned hopeful faces of her classmates-may it be either a guy or a girl…

The clouds were a bit dark; as if it warns her for the coming rain.

Rain? she frowned. Automatically, she turned around to look at Rukawa's desk. She doesn't care if she might get an ill-treatment from him again, just to make sure he's here, safe and dry.

But his desk was empty.

Her heart suddenly raced. She didn't care about the surprised faces of her classmates anymore as she immediately ran out of the classroom.

She impatiently tapped the heels of her shoes to the metal support of the telephone booth.

No one's answering the phone in his room… he might've been on his way here.

She peered outside the booth and saw the dark clouds getting darker by the minute. If he doesn't get here soon, he'd get wet riding the bike alone. He'd get sick…

The worry was evident in her face as she dialed again to Rukawa's house. This time, somebody answered.

"Ohayou…" the other line greeted.

Michiru recognized his mother's voice. "Ohayou, Yume-chan. Its me, Michiru."

The voice lightened. "Ohayou, Michiru! How are you? I was expecting you last night but my son told me you got sick! Are you feeling okay now?"

The rain suddenly began to fall, loudly tapping against the booth's roof. The mother asked again. "Where are you? Are you in the terrace?"

"N-no, Yume-chan. I'm at school right now…"

"In school? You should've stayed at home, Mi-chan! You might get sick again! I hope my son has been taking good care of you…"

Michiru felt a pricking sensation in her eyes, which started brimming with tears. "H-he is, Yume-chan… h-he is…" she suddenly remembered the reason why she called. "I-Is he still sleeping?"

"Why? Is he not there yet? He left the house early today; he said they have a practice at the gym this morning... he didn't tell you?"

N-no… "Y-yeah… I remember now, Yume-chan. He told me about that yesterday, I'm sorry I've forgotten about it completely. Sorry for my early intrusion…"

The voice in the other line chuckled lively. "Oh, that's nothing, Mi-chan! How could you say that? You're no intruder, ne? You're almost like my own daughter now. My son loves you so much, and whomever my son loves will be assured of my care too. When you get home, drink a glass of lemonade. That will help you feel better."

A tear slipped on her cheek. "I-I will. Arigatou…"

"Okay, bye."

"B-bye…"

Michiru slowly put back the telephone from its base and walked out from the booth, not minding the heavy pour of rain, soaking her clothes, eyes and cheeks.

He didn't even call last night to tell me of his practice this morning… and I don't have any idea if he'd ever reached here safely…

'He said they have a practice at the gym this morning...'

The gym…! she remembered, hurrying up her pace. She made her way first into the parking lot and she saw Rukawa's bike. Half-running and walking, she soon reached the gymnasium.

With her uniform soaked and dripping, Michiru entered the gym without hesitance. Looking to her right and left, alerting her ears to any sound from the locker rooms, she tiptoed and proceeded inside the court.

There, with his back on her, she saw Rukawa, with ball in hand. Michiru thanked God inwardly upon seeing him.

Probably detecting her presence, he dribbled, as if trying to get through an unknown opponent and dunked the ball onto the ring.

Michiru was stunned; for there was unusual briskness and abruptness in his movements. Especially in the dunk, her hand quivered uneasily.

"Ru-"

"What took you so long to find me here? I have been waiting for almost an hour now." He said coldly, not minding where the ball had rolled on. He still has his back on her.

She felt more uncomfortable from the tone of his voice. "I-I called your Mom and she said you have a practice this morning… which y-you haven't even t-told me last night…"

"Do I have to tell you everything that I have to do?"

That statement dropped like a bomb in Michiru's ear. "W-well…" She began to tremble slowly.

Rukawa turned and walked towards her. Inside, Michiru was hoping he was just joking; that everything was just a dream. He would touch her chin and smile, the way he would when he cracks jokes on her. She then would be 'angry' and push him away, to which he would just sneer and insist himself to her again. And then they would…

Michiru closed her eyes, waiting for her hopes to come true.

Instead, a cold voice rang in her ears.

"You know very well what my ambitions are, don't you?"

She just listened, her heart thumping in fear.

"You know how much I would like to play for Japan, and eventually, play in America…"

Michiru's eyes widened.

"But of course, you don't want that for me. Because you are selfish and naïve; not thinking of what I like and dreamed of someday…"

Her brow was covered with cold sweat; she hugged her body automatically, as she felt a cold breeze surrounding her.

The rain continued to beat relentlessly outside, a loud thunder was heard.

"… You know what? I'm tired of you and your baseless explanations on how I should get on with my career. After junior high, I will leave this school and find another one that will help me attain my dreams…"

"K-kaede-kun…" she sobbed.

"… What about you? Do you have any plans regarding your future, perhaps? Or you're probably settled with all those stupid dancing? Of course, that's how you'd catch some nice filthy rich boyfriend…"

"Stop it!" Michiru shrieked, hurt by his words. She brought her two palms to her ear and cried softly. She couldn't believe, from all the people, she would hear those insults from Rukawa.

"Why? Are you feeling guilty now? It hurts to admit the truth, ne? And volleyball-of course, that's another poor excuse to ensnare another man's heart…"

The girl raised her head instantly. She saw much hatred and anger blazing in his eyes. "W-what do you mean?" She asked defiantly.

Rukawa grinned. "What is it with us, Michiru? What is it with us, basketball players, which you really like? Am I not that enough for you? Or is it me being not that rich like your family?"

A palm landed on Rukawa's cheek. From the impact of the slap, his face was turned slightly.

"You have said enough… but I will not let you insult me!" Michiru said, her voice tremulous.

Rukawa turned to look at her again, but this time, in his eyes were pure anger. He held Michiru's arms and pinned her to the wall, to which she gaped in horror.

"What do you know about being insulted, huh? HUH!?" he said, almost grounding his teeth in fury.

"Let me go, Kaede! You're hurting me!" pleaded Michiru, whose cheeks are now flooded with tears.

"Did you say you're hurt? YOU'RE HURT?!" he squeezed her arms tightly. "What do you think a guy would feel once he sees his own girlfriend talking to another man with their faces' distance almost point-blank? What do you think a guy would feel when he finds out that his own girlfriend plays volleyball HAPPILY with a stranger, from another school, like she hadn't have any commitment to watch her OWN boyfriend's first game?"

Michiru's mouth dropped open from Rukawa's revelation.

"And what do you think a boyfriend would feel if he sees face to face his own girlfriend KISSING ANOTHER GUY!?"

Michiru remembered the scene last night, the one when she tipped and Sendoh almost kissed her…

"No!" she said, pushing him away. "Leave me alone!"

Sendoh was alarmed. He tried to approach her again. "M-michiru, I-I'm sorry…"

"Leave me alone! Or else I'll scream!"

He still insisted, coming closer. "Its just that, I love you. Don't you see it?"

Michiru frowned, displaying a dismayed face. "You know that I already have a boyfriend…"

"I don't care! Can't you see? You mean nothing to him!"

Michiru stood up and faced him. "He loves me, and I love him!"

"If that's true, he wouldn't leave you like this! No matter what happens, he wouldn't just leave you all alone!"

"No! I understand his feelings… he was hurt because of what he saw earlier!"

Sendoh lowered his voice. "He shouldn't be deceived so easily. Its obvious he doesn't trust you that much… which means he doesn't love you that much. Can't you see-"

Michiru slapped him. "Speak another word… and I'll see to it your school won't play further for the eliminations."

The tall man sighed and raised his hands in defeat. "He doesn't love you. That's all I can say. I hope you can give me a chance, once you've found out what I say is true."

She gritted her teeth. "Leave me, before my threat turns to reality."

She bellowed out in physical and emotional pain. "That's not true!"

"That's what you call hurt, my love. And I don't intend to stay with it," he said, releasing her from his grip. The girl cried out and caressed her arms, murmuring. "I didn't kiss him… "

Rukawa looked away, shoving both his hands to his face. "You know how much I've loved you, and yet you do this to me."

Michiru stood straight and went up to his face. "Haven't I got any chance to explain my side?"

He avoided her gaze. "I don't care with anything you say anymore."

Michiru couldn't believe her ears. Shaking her head, "Its true then… its true you really don't love me. Sendoh's right, I should've shifted my attention to those people that really understands me. Not like you," she said.

Its 'Sendoh' now huh? And you say you didn't knew him… Rukawa was silent for a moment.

"You won't even listen to what I'm supposed to say. You care less about my opinions, my explanations… everything! And so you say you really love me, huh?"

"That's a thing in the past."

Michiru nodded. "Then to the past it goes." She stomped her way towards the gymnasium's exit but stopped. "Thank you for the good times, Rukawa. I hope you find your happiness in basketball." And she was gone.

Rukawa was left to himself, staring blankly at his hand, still feeling the coldness of Michiru's garment. She fought the urge to run and make her change her wet clothes. He reminded himself sternly.

Its over between her and me now. No turning back.