Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ April 1st - The GIFT ❯ Concealed Emotions ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*************************************************

PART 05: Concealed Emotions

*************************************************

{Inside Sendoh's House - Study Room}

"This is the study room. I think this will be private enough." Sendoh said as he closed the door.

"So what's this about?" The redhead questioned, leaning against the huge oak desk as he faced the other three in the room.

"This is about yesterday Hana." Sendoh said, thankful that the walk had lulled his raging emotions earlier.

[I knew it] He thought in dismay and threw his arms in the air before saying, "Look. I am sorry that my friends dragged you guys into their prank but I had nothing to do with it. It was a s.u.r.p.r.i.s.e. Get it? I absolutely had no idea!"

"Yeah but you did deny us a fair game when you had chosen Rukawa over us." Fujima argued.

Sakuragi gawked and said, "Are you for real? Why won't I choose my boyfriend over any of you?"

"Why not?"

The redhead's jaw completely dropped. He couldn't believe that he would be getting the third degree questioning on his birthday and least of all from someone he didn't think would care at all. But as he took note Fujima's serious expression and surprisingly from Kiyota's as well, Sakuragi realized that he wouldn't get any fun out of his own birthday party till something happens that could appease them somehow. But short of renouncing his choice yesterday, [which they could wait till hell freezes over], he couldn't really fathom what they would want from him.

Left with nothing else to do, he tried injecting humor to a somewhat awkward situation and cheekily remarked, "I never knew that the two of you wanted to have a date with me that bad." Pointing a finger at Fujima and Kiyota.

"WHAT?" Kiyota thundered. "Why you egotistical, loud mouth, idiotic red monkey you, I'll show you desperate." He warned, rolling up his sleeve in an act of preparing to do something to wipe the grin off the redhead's face.

"Stop it Kiyota!" Fujima admonished and then turned towards the still grinning head. "Sakuragi, since we were not given a chance… Will you grant each of us this day to actually spend some time with you?

That stopped his mirth but he was tempted to laugh out loud for the absurdity of the request. "Sorry, but I do have a full pack schedule today. Not only do I have my own birthday party to attend to but I still have a date with my kitsune tonight." He grinned, thinking that they couldn't possibly argue with that one. But to his dismay, Fujima, Kiyota and also Sendoh just looked at each other with smiles on their faces, making the redhead feel that there was a conspiracy brewing against him. [This does not look good. Better leave now Hanamichi before it's too late.] His mind advised. But before he could even move…

"Actually Hana-kun, we only need about an hour each of your time, well maybe 'longer' for me and you would still have lots of time to enjoy your party and your precious KAEDE could wait till tonight before he could have you all to himself."

Ignoring the obvious snide about his boyfriend, "An hour each?" Sakuragi squeaked. "Er… I don't know."

"If you ask me, you're just chicken to accept the idea." Kiyota snorted.

"Will you shut up? Or do you want your head bashed to the wall and wake up tomorrow?" Sakuragi warned.

"Let's just see you try." Kiyota dared and was about to walk over when Fujima stopped him again.

"Will you stop doing that Kiyota? Now what's your answer Sakuragi?"

The redhead gave the wild monkey one last glowering look before he pondered over the idea again. [An hour each? What could they possibly get in an hour?] He thought but then as he looked at their determined faces, he knew that he had to accept it, either that or fight his way out. That last idea would have been his first choice if he was the Sakuragi of old, but since he had changed over the years and add the fact that he did not want any fight ensued on his birthday, he was left with no other choice but to accept the thought of spending an hour with each of them. Looking on the bright side, at least he could enjoy the party after three hours and he still had the thought of spending a glorious night with his gorgeous boyfriend to keep him going.

Sighing in resignation, "Ok. But remember, only an hour each." He stated but as he saw Sendoh's wicked grin… he couldn't help but add, "And just talking. Understood?"

Sendoh had the decency to look sheepish after that and Sakuragi was about to give himself a pat on the back for thinking ahead of the notorious Hentai when he suddenly caught a sexy devilish smile gracing the pretty angelic face of Shoyo's former ace, giving him shivers running up his spine. [What would substitute be smiling about?]

"That's fine by me Sakuragi."

"That is so magnanimous of you red monkey and it took you minutes before you arrived at that decision?" The short brunette derided.

Gritting his teeth, he turned towards the other two and asked, "Why does he need an hour with me anyway? He'll irritate me and the next thing you know, we'll be at each other's throats in no time. Can we just not include him in this?"

It was a good thing that Fujima had anticipated Kiyota's 'would be' reaction because before Kainan's wild monkey could even move a muscle, his arm was being firmly grasped and he was kept from initiating what the redhead termed as 'at each other's throats', thus he was left with no other option but to glare at the guy.

Witnessing the comedic efforts of Kiyota to go after Sakuragi then thwarted again and again by Fujima had gradually reverted Sendoh back to his usual cheery self, thus he was laughing openly when he remarked, "No Hana, we can't. I guess you have three extra 'dates' for your birthday and it's a good thing that Rukawa is not here or we wouldn't have the opportunity to spend quality time together, right?" He teased.

Sakuragi couldn't help blush upon hearing the insinuation. "It would not be a date Sendoh and stop flirting or I swear I'll give you a major head injury if you don't." He chastised and was irritated further when the spiked haired player gave him a wink. "Aarghh! You're hopeless!" He cried then turned away, opting to have the sullen Sendoh back.

"Don't worry Hana-kun, 'our' time together will come last and I will not let that 'boyfriend' of yours come between us this time." Sendoh promised.

That alone almost made the birthday boy retract his promise and he was actually about to comment on it when Kiyota suddenly said, "I'll go first. I don't need an hour to do what I want to do, besides I want mine to be fast and done with." And before he could even voice a protest, he suddenly found Kiyota in front of him and kissed him right smack on the lips.

The kiss was quick but the action shocked him so much that it rendered him speechless and gaping for a while. It was mind numbing to say the least and his only thoughts at that moment were, [Kiyota kissed me. He actually dared to kiss me.] Finding his voice, "You… you… what… why the heck did you that for?" He exclaimed, unconsciously touching his lips.

For the first time since they have met, Kiyota gave the redhead a tender look as he reached to caress the other's face and said, "Because I wanted to and I have been thinking of doing that for the longest time."

Bothered by the sudden change from his long time squabbling partner, he squeaked, "Why?" Then he leaned back to get away from the touching hand.

Kiyota sighed and said, "I really don't know." Dropping his hand to his side, he continued to stare intently on the face that had mocked him for the past two years and had haunted him for the past months. "Chalk it to having a recurring nightmare and each time I wake up… I wanted to do just that."

Brown eyes went wide in disbelief. "What? That's it? That's your reason?"

Brows furrowed, "Why? You think I'm declaring undying love for you?" Kiyota asked and suddenly laughed out loud when the other went as red as his hair. "Ha ha ha ha… You think I am? Such ego you have. I just wanted to end my nightmare by stealing a kiss from you that's all." He declared and continued laughing till he was almost close to tears.

"Stupid wild monkey!!!" Sakuragi exclaimed. Irritated and annoyed that he had given him an open opportunity to pull a fast one on him. Venting his anger using the only manner he knew how, Sakuragi intentionally sent the still chuckling Kainan player to the floor with a huge lump on his forehead. "That'll teach you not to pull the same stunt on me again… Kiyota!" He spat and then started rubbing his lips vigorously with the back of his hand.

"Shit! I forgot that nasty habit of his." Kiyota mumbled as Sendoh was helping him to his feet.

"Yeah you should have run away as fast as you could after pulling that stunt." Sendoh joked, eyeing the still flustered Shohoku forward. "I can't believe that you actually did it."

Licking his lips, he suddenly chortled and said, "You know what's ironic? The first guy that I ever kissed was that stupid red monkey but it was well worth it. I would never forget that expression on his face, [or the taste of his lips] … priceless and I'll use every opportunity I get to throw it in his face."

"You are crazy do you know that? Rukawa will skin you alive if you ever so mentioned that in front of him. Oh, let's not forget that you'll be a frequent visitor at the hospital."

"You're one to talk. I bet Rukawa's just itching to bury you right about now if he even got wind that you were hosting this party, let alone thinking nasty thoughts about his boyfriend." Kiyota countered as he sat beside the unaffected brown haired boy who had just finished drinking his wine.

Sendoh sweatdropped but still kept his smile plastered on his face when he replied, "Burying me will have to wait. There are things that I wanted to clarify with Hana first and I intend to do that with or without Rukawa's presence." Turning towards the calm and composed Fujima, "Your turn Fujima and make it quick."

Placing his emptied glass on top of the mini-bar table, Fujima remarked, "Don't rush me Sendoh. I intend to spend my time with Sakuragi with far less injury than Kiyota."

"Better tell me that kissing is not part of your agenda Fujima or you'll experience much worst than that stupid monkey." Sakuragi warned as he obviously heard the comment.

Laughing openly, Fujima got off the high chair and started walking towards the redhead while saying; "Only I know what I have in mind for you Sakuragi. But rest assured that if and when I do kiss you…" Stopping right in front of him, "… I'll make sure that it will be pleasurable for the both of us."

Taken aback, the redhead choked, "What?" [This is not happening to me! Why oh why did Youhei chose three hentais?] He mentally asked and cursed his absent friend for the situation he was in at that moment.

"Would you guys mind if you leave us alone now? Hana-chan and I won't need an audience for the next hour." Fujima stated.

"Hana-chan?" All three chirped.

"Since when did he become Hana-chan?" Sendoh asked.

"My reasons are my own and I will not make it known to you or anybody else besides Hana-chan. So please, leave us." He implored.

But Sendoh was still not moving an inch though the other brunette already had the door opened and was ready to leave. There was something about Fujima's tone that made him wary of leaving the redhead alone with the guy. "What do you have in mind Fujima?"

Fujima's lips twitched at the tone of jealousy he detected. "You are NOT his boyfriend Sendoh so stop acting like one. We are rowing the same boat and I suggest that you just leave me to paddle mine."

Silence…The room was momentarily filled with an unknown tension coming from the two unyielding guys, making Sakuragi fidget uncomfortably from where he was standing. He didn't know why but… there was a certain hunger with the way Fujima had looked at him when the other was approaching him, making him think that Fujima's intentions was something he should fear more than Sendoh's. [What did I get myself into?] He thought in dismay, but he just stood his ground and wished that his face did not show the growing fear that he was feeling.

Contrary to what the redhead might have wished, Sendoh did notice and went to stand beside him. Ignoring the scowl that had marred Fujima's pretty face, Sendoh gathered the resisting redhead in his arms and tenderly whispered, "I'm sorry if I have to leave you alone with him Hana, but I promise to come back later and then I'll take you somewhere where we could really talk, ok?" Seeing a hesitant nod, he tenderly kissed the latter's forehead, lingering for a second to inhale the heavenly scent of the other before he turned towards Fujima and said, "I may not be his boyfriend Fujima but I do care for him. I'll be back after an hour and you better not do anything or Rukawa won't be the only one after you."

Fujima's eyes flared with an emotion Sendoh didn't quite catch since the guy hastily turned away. "I'm not afraid of you or even Rukawa. Think and say what you like then leave. My time had started and I intend to use it till the last second."

Three set of eyebrows rose after that remark but no one commented since all decided to keep their opinions to themselves and after giving Hana's hand one last squeeze, Sendoh left the room with Kiyota.

************************************************

{Somewhere in Kanagawa}

Hanagata shifted into a more comfortable position in the front seat after he had sneaked a glance at the two silent figures sitting at the back. Their eerie silence was welcomed but not to the extent that it might actually last for most of the trip. Thanks to Rukawa's 'devil may care' attitude driver who was driving top speed on a 'thankfully' empty street, ordered of course by 'young master Kaede' as the driver had supplied when asked earlier, they would soon be arriving at Sendoh's house in no time.

Passing the time, Hanagata gazed at the scenery zooming past outside the window and smirked a little when he remembered the friction that had happened between the two silent guys after he had disclosed Fujima's concealed interest for the 17-year-old redhead.

Kainan's former ace was a jealous person, which he knows with certainty since he was an easy target of the guy's jealous tirades, but he had an inkling that Shohoku's own ace could rival or even surpass Maki in that area. It gave him chills just to remember the cold murderous look Rukawa had thrown Maki when he had said, "Your boyfriend is a dead guy if he so ever touch or harm Hanamichi," which Maki had replied with, "You would have to go through me first," in equal coldness. Thinking that he had to calm someone somehow, he reminded Rukawa that besides the fact that his boyfriend could easily take care of himself, Fujima might not even do anything. Thankfully, it worked and he heaved a sigh of relief when Rukawa removed his icy blue gaze away from Maki then turned his head to lean against the window, eyes closed, whilst Maki remained glaring for awhile then copied Rukawa's action and was silent ever since.

Though his worries over the two bad tempered basketball players were temporarily appeased, his worries over his bestfriend, however, were by no means mollified. His mind just kept wandering back to the facts that he had imparted to the other two, as if trying to find something that could possibly give reason to Fujima's change in attitude.

Fujima's feelings for the redhead did not really come as a surprise to him when the other had visibly made it obvious just a week back. Though it had taken quite a lot of memory searching to tie the loose ends, he eventually traced his recollection back to one fateful evening, about a year and a half ago, when his bestfriend had unwittingly confessed to him of his uncertain feelings for a certain redhead. Of course, if Fujima had not arrived at his place already drunk, or if he did not consider the fact that the reason why he was drunk was because of a huge argument with Maki the night before, or the fact that his affiliation with the person in question was close to nil, then he would have taken the confession seriously and would not have forgotten about it when morning came. But it was exactly the case, nonetheless. After that night, things were kind of back to normal since Fujima had patched things up with Maki and the former had not mentioned anything about the redhead again. Well, at least not till they accidentally came across Hikoichi inside a diner and asked if they knew someone from Shoyo who would volunteer to participate in a dating game which would be held at Shohoku. Both of them had answered no and shun the idea when they were asked themselves if they would want to. But when Hikoichi mentioned that the supposed dating game was for Shohoku's self-proclaimed tensai, Fujima's blue eyes lit up and he immediately pressed the shorter guy for details. During their conversation, his bestfriend's show of eagerness and enthusiasm kindled his memory of that particular night, making him wonder if there was a grain of truth behind his friend's confession during his drunken stupor. But he need not wonder for long, because his confirmation came as soon as he heard Fujima volunteering even before Hikoichi ended his explanations and had hastily dialed Maki's number informing the latter that he'd be staying in Kanagawa for another week or more without even explaining why. When they arrived at his place, he sat Fujima down in one of their heart to heart talks and asked about the redhead. The question seemed to have surprised Fujima at first but reluctantly admitted his liking for the Shohoku center/forward. He was not able to probe him deeper after that since an excited Fujima got caught up with the preparation for the dating game.

Left with only that information in his head, Hanagata thought that joining the dating game was only a means for his brown-haired friend to maybe get to know the redhead he admired for his skills but he was wrong… dead wrong. How was he to know that his friend's affection for Sakuragi went deeper than it should? [Well, at least enough to have made Kenji act like a wanna-be jealous lover when Sakuragi had chosen Rukawa.] He sarcastically thought and his mind wandered towards what had happened in his house after they had left Shohoku High School.

[Last night…] Laying his head back against the headrest, Hanagata didn't know if he was thankful or not that all his memories of the night before came rushing back to him the minute his brain was able to focus its concentration on remembering everything that had to do with his bestfriend and, of course, Sakuragi.

**** Flashback ****

"WILL YOU STOP IT? You're starting to sound like a jealous boyfriend." Hanagata exclaimed, covering his ears since his friend was making his head throb from his constant yapping for like the 10th time that night about Sakuragi's choice of date for his birthday. "What makes you think that he would have picked you anyway? I overheard the others saying that Sendoh has gotten quite close to Sakuragi and there's still Kiyota." He pointed but immediately regretted it.

If Fujima was sober, he might have seen the logic behind the statement, but since he was not, Hanagata suddenly found himself an easy target for the empty beer cans that were being hurled in mid-air by a drunken Fujima who had taken it as a jibe on his ego. Only when he gestured an act of surrender did Fujima stop his attack on him. Panting, "You're crazy, you know that?" He cried indignantly as he adjusted his glasses.

"And you're one great friend!" Fujima countered; emptying the beer can he was holding and aiming it to be thrown to his bestfriend again.

Holding his hand up high, "Hey quit it." Seeing the unrelenting face of his friend, he sighed and said, "Okay, I'm sorry. Sakuragi could have chosen you over Sendoh or Kiyota." He sweet-talked and when the hand was lowered, he added, "There, happy now?" He asked and snorted when he saw a twitch on his friend's lips.

Shaking his head, "You are still delusional if you ask me. Just forget about your fixation over that redhead and focus on your own boyfriend. Don't you think you've been gone long enough? Maki would really be ecstatic if you would be able to attend his parents' wedding anniversary you know." He reminded him, standing to get another pack of beer from the cooler.

Catching the beer that his friend had thrown, "I will not go back to Shinichi until my feelings for Sakuragi are resolved." Fujima firmly stated, his aquatic eyes glinting with a look that Hanagata only knew too well.

Ignoring that look, "Yeah right, what would you do then? Stay in Kanagawa till Sakuragi notices you and eventually give you the time that you said you needed from him?" Hanagata gibed as he opted to sit beside his drunken friend.

"What if I say I am?" Fujima clipped.

Hanagata almost choked from the beer he was drinking and turned incredulous dark grey eyes over the shorter guy beside him. "Then you're crazy. I don't think Rukawa will let Sakuragi out of his sight especially now that their relationship is out in the open."

Taking a drink on his own beer, "Then I'll just have to snatch Sakuragi away from Rukawa." He flatly stated.

"WHAT?" Hanagata exclaimed, afraid that he had heard his friend correctly. He was about to blurt a question when the other stood up and said, "Let's just finish this pack and then sleep Toru. I need to make plans for tomorrow."

**** End Flashback ***

Whether those plans included breaking up with his boyfriend or going through with he had said about Sakuragi, he really didn't know. Fujima had remained clammed about that subject for the remainder of the night and since he had assumed that it was just the alcohol talking, he had actually let the matter drop. [Again!] His mind reminded him. Twice, it was twice that Fujima had sprung something on him when Fujima himself or both of them were drunk and his negligence about both matters had caused Maki his heartbreak.

[If only I was not the bearer of bad news.] Hanagata thought and sighed wearily as he kneaded his forehead. God knows how he had tried his best to make the disclosure less distressing for Rukawa and less painful for Maki by opting to withhold that last bit of information in his memory, but the end result was still the same.

Closing his eyes, [Don't do anything Kenji. Please!!!] Hanagata mentally begged his friend.

Meanwhile… True to what Hanagata might have thought, Maki was indeed hurting very much with what he had learned. It didn't help him to know that the person who might have caused his heartbreak was not even aware that he had sent two years of relationship down the drain. But he was not a quitter, never was and never will be. Though he admitted that he was rather preoccupied with his basketball career lately, he still couldn't accept Hanagata's theory that he had pushed his boyfriend's attention away from him due to his constant absence. [I will get Kenji back and when I do, I'll make him forget that redhead.] He vowed and prayed that he wouldn't be too late to salvage their relationship.

As for the silent raven head who kept clenching and unclenching his fist…

< Fujima had liked Sakuragi ever since they have met but it had grown to something deeper. Enough that it had made him upset when he knew of Sakuragi's relationship with Rukawa >

Those words kept echoing in his mind and were twisting his heart in slow torture of what Shoyo's former ace might do. Though he knew that his boyfriend could take care of himself, it still did not stop him from wishing that he had gone to the party instead of seeing his parents off. He would have called but his phone's battery went dead just right before he had tried contacting his boyfriend again when he was still with his parents. Since he was left with no other option but to patiently wait, Rukawa just settled into drawing a smiling picture of his beloved inside his mind, calming him with the thought that his Hana was safely enjoying his birthday party with his friends like he was supposed to. No Sendoh or Fujima to ruin it for him. Nothing more and nothing else, any other thought and he would definitely snap. [Just be safe till I get to you Hana… wait for me.]

******************************

To be continued.............

******************************

Please do leave your comments and reviews.. and oh by the way.. all of my fics are self-edited so if you find something wrong like grammar mistakes... spellings.. inconsistency or whatever in the story.. do tell me or email me if you don't want to post it... email add: dbrrk@yahoo.com There are still lots of room for improvement.. this is just my 5th fic anyway... and I plan to write for a long time.....!!!!! c")