Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Side ❯ Remembrance of the past ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:

As usual, I don't own any of the slam-dunk characters.

Chapter 2: Remembrance of the past

//thoughts//

~^Flashbacks ^~

* Actions *

"Japanese"

'English'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ < p class="MsoNormal">Last Chapter

"So what now?"

"…I don't know."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ < p class="MsoNormal">

During basketball training time

The sun was blazing hot down his back as he laid chest down while propping his chin on his hands. Soft silky red hair was blown around the person's face. Another figure with slick dark hair can be seen sitting down with his arms hugging his knees tightly and chin resting on the knees. The picture painted by this two could have made any sane girl swooning in delight.

Both figures had on a serious expression that those who knew them would not have thought them capable of such expression. If one were to look closely, one would have noticed how young they are and wonder how they could have faces that hold such maturity beyond their age.

The surroundings are quiet and the only sounds that can be heard are the happy chirps of birds enjoying their freedom. It has been awhile since both figures moved. (a/n: more like an hour or so) Finally, the red head stood up and let out a sigh. Lost in thought, Youhei didn't even notice the movement of his friend. However, when he heard the sigh he snapped to attention and glanced at his friend.

"Are you considering his offer?" he quietly asked his red headed companion.

Silence was all the response he received.

The red head tensed when he heard the question but he couldn't seem to bring himself to answer it. Before last night, his life was just fine and dandy. Now, his past is on the verge of consuming him once again.

After not receiving any response, Youhei went back to his former position. Again he was jolted out of his thoughts when the red head responded.

"You?"

Youhei turned back to face Sakuragi, who was now looking at him intently yet still having a slightly lost look. For a moment time seemed to stand still and after awhile he let out his breath without realising he had held his breath in the first place.

"Do you think he was serious?"

"Dunno. He's changed that's for sure."

At that statement, Youhei let out a snort.

"Well, let's hope he's not that irritating anymore."

Sakuragi felt a small smile coming at that reminder.

~^Flashback^~

'Hah! Dream on kid. You'll never beat me,' taunted Eric with a smug smile.

//If there was one thing that I will forever hate is being taunted and called a kid. I'll show that old man.// thought the red headed kid.

'Hey, he's better than you'll ever be old man. He'll trash you on the court. How about a one-on-one against him eh? Or are you a chicken?' taunted a brunette boy.

'Yeah! Ken will kick your ass. Right Ken?' chirped in a smaller brunette.

After the one-on-one

'Aw. Poor "oyaji" here lost. See, no one messes with the Wiz of the court here,' claimed the taller brunette proudly.

~^End Flashback^~

Seeing the small smile on Sakuragi's face, Youhei let out a small chuckle.

"Remembering the match?" he said as he let out another small chuckle.

Sakuragi started laughing softly at the memory. Soon both boys were laughing loudly while holding their stomach. Tears were starting to come out with them laughing too hard. It took a moment for them to compose themselves and what was once a grim atmosphere changed into soothing one.

Once they have composed themselves, both had smiles on their faces.

"I wonder what Alex is up to now?" mused Sakuragi as his face took on a longing look.

At that, Youhei remembered fondly of the taller brunette, whom they haven't seen for 4 years.

"Do you really believe what Eric said? That he joined them now?" asked Youhei quietly.

"I have a feeling Eric is telling the truth. I don't know why but something is different. He's different. Hell, we're different. So, it might be possible that what Eric said is the truth,"

Upon the last sentence Sakuragi frowned thoughtfully. He rubbed his chin softly.

Youhei sighed and then let out a frustrated groan. Already frustrated with the situation, his patience finally snapped. He stood up quickly, startling Sakuragi who was lost in thought.

'Ken, maybe its time we come clean. We should tell the rest. YOU have to tell them. What if Eric comes to the gym? They'll start to wonder. The rest of the Guntai already suspect something is wrong. Hell, I can't stand this anymore,' exclaimed Youhei exasperatedly.

At the use of his name and the change of language, Sakuragi or Ken stared at Youhei in shock. He didn't realise that the incident has infected Youhei this badly. (a/n: actually I think Youhei is more irritated at the situation they're stuck in.)

'I don't know if I'm ready to tell them yet,' he said in a strained voice.

//Oh shit. I forgot!// Youhei tensed and at the same time mentally he slapped himself for losing control. With wide eyes and his face paling by the minute, he stammered to Sakuragi.

"Go-gomen. I… I didn't mean to imply that. Hana- ."

Interrupting Youhei's would be guilty apologies. Sakuragi cleared his throat and fighting back the tears that was threatening to flood out at any moment.

"It's alright," he uttered softly. Then with a wry smile, "You didn't do anything wrong. It's my problem." He paused and looked to the ground. "Let's just go home and TRY to get some sleep, ok?"

Still feeling guilty and tired from the lack of sleep, Youhei nodded. While walking together, with each lost in thought, they settled for a tensed silence. When they were about to walk their own separate ways, Youhei stopped Sakuragi. He nervously gulped and hesitantly spoke, "I'm not blaming you, you know. None of us did. I'll always be there. Alex too even if he's nearly half-way around the world."

Without turning Sakuragi replied quietly, "I know." Before starting to walk off again, he glanced back at Youhei. "It's just me. Thanks anyway Youhei." With a small sad smile, he turned back and started to walk home again.

Youhei stood rooted at the spot for what seems like hours before letting out a sad smile. He looked up towards the sky where the birds can be seen flying in freedom without care. //I only hope that whatever Eric is planning won't hurt him.// He glanced back towards the direction Sakuragi went. //I hope he'll survive whatever it is.//

Finally, with a heavy sigh he started walking back to his house. All the way, planning on how to get a good sleep without his mom nagging at him for sleeping in the day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Later on at the Sakuragi's residence

He stared at the ceiling of his bedroom.

//This is pathetic. I'm trying to find the answers on the ceiling written out by a fairy godmother or something.//

He sighed and softly closed his eyes. His usual gelled hair, which was already messed up by the wind, was now in its crowning glory (a/n: in other words. It's totally messy. Just imagine him trying to tug his hair out in frustration. If anyone out there doesn't get what I mean by crowning glory, I'm being sarcastic here. It's not really his crowning glory. It's the opposite).

Suddenly, he sat up and stared at his hands. //I wonder if I can still do it?// He thought thoughtfully. Determined to find the answers that day itself, he rushed out of his room and went straight towards the attic. Unlocking it, he climbed into the attic and searched among the many boxes for a particular chest.

Upon finding the said chest, he stared at it with a look mixed with longing and fear. Finally, he nodded to himself and with a trembling hand he reached out towards the chest and starts to undo the lock. Once opened, he picked up an old album and a few videocassettes. Picking those up, he was about to close the chest when he caught sight of a black wrist guard at the corner of the chest. Below the wrist guard was a black box. Not remembering what was in the box, he set down everything he was carrying and slowly picked up the box.

He blew away the dust that has gathered on it and slowly he started to open it. For a moment, all he could do was stare at the object inside the box. //What the ???// Confused, he picked up another black wrist guard, but this time it has a small symbol of a phoenix on it. Below it, there was its twin and a black headband with the similar phoenix symbol.(a/n: like the ones Kiyota wears. Sorry if I'm wrong. I don't know if it's called a headband). When he picked up the headband, a piece of paper fluttered towards the floor.

Sakuragi picked it up and froze when he saw the first line on the paper. He felt like he couldn't breathe. //What does this mean//

Dear Ken,

Happy birthday! We're sorry for not being there to celebrate your birthday but you will still have your father. Hope to be back next week.

Mom and Dad

Without him realizing it, tears streaked down his face as he read the contents of the note. After re-reading the note a few times, he stuffed it down his pocket and proceeded to carry all the things he dropped down on the floor. As he walked back towards his room, he kept on thinking of how much has changed. He stopped in front of his bedroom door for a moment and his face was set with determination.

//Mom. Dad. I'll make you proud of me. I guess things will be even more interesting now in Shohoku.//

At that last thought. He finally gave a genuine smile and felt like a weight has been lifted from his shoulder. Giving a nod to himself, he entered his room.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

At Youhei's house - 11.00pm

//Ummm. What was that sound?//

* plink * (a/n: LOL. I'm really bad at this but what does a small stone hitting a glass sound like? :P)

//There it is again. Uurgh. Go away!!!//

* plink *

Cursing under his breath, Youhei drowsily sat up on his bed and gave a big yawn. Glancing at his bedside, he saw that it was after 11pm. Annoyed at the late night visitor, he opened his window and was about to shout at the visitor when his eyes and barely functioning brain registered the sight of red hair. He blinked once, twice and thrice.

//Hanamichi???// He squinted again and still the vision of red hair is there. //Yup. Definitely Hanamichi// Gone was the drowsiness and anxiety replaced it. //I hope nothing is wrong//

He motioned to Sakuragi that he was coming down. Quickly he searched his room and found a t-shirt lying on his desk. He grabbed it and quickly made his way downstairs while putting on his t-shirt.

Once outside, he saw that Sakuragi was wearing his usual white shorts and black sleeveless cotton shirt. A step closer and he realised that Sakuragi was wearing a pair of wrist guards and a headband. He blinked again.

"Ano Hanamichi, what's up? It's already 11pm. You can't sleep again? You can come into my room again if you want."

At that moment, Sakuragi was fidgeting and his eyes were looking at everywhere else except at Youhei. Finally he took in a deep breath and blurted out, 'Let's play basketball.'

For a moment, Youhei's eyes widen and his mouth was hanging open. He didn't react for a few minutes until he finally managed to recover his voice and regained control of his jaw muscle.

"What?!"

'Let's play b-ball. Phoenix style.' Sakuragi gave Youhei a smile but it soon returned into a frown at the lack of response. He blinked and finally gave a small sigh which was soon followed by a nudge on Youhei's forehead.

"Oi. You still there?"

At the physical contact of Sakuragi's not so gentle nudge, Youhei snapped out of his dazed mind. He stared again at Sakuragi.

"Umm. I'm not dressed yet," he said slowly, with his thoughts all jumbled up.

"Well, go on. Change. Unless of course you think playing with pyjamas on will be the new trend," Sakuragi replied with a chuckle. His brown eyes twinkling with amusement and the usual warmth that has been missing since the meeting with Eric.

After telling himself that he's really awake, Youhei dumbly nodded. He started to walk back to his house while all kind of thoughts went through his brain.

//What the hell happened here? Hanamichi speaking in English again and suddenly wants to play basketball in the middle of the night? That's it. Oh, well. At least he's smiling again.//

With that, he started to get into his sports attire.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

At the nearby basketball court

"Hanamichi, what's -."

'Ken'

"NANI!!!"

'English only for now'

'Huh?!'

'Let's play … Pete.'

At the mention of his old nickname, Youhei's eyes widen once again and yet again his jaw dropped. Seeing the expected reaction from Youhei, Sakuragi let out a small laugh and started to dribble the basketball. He went to the middle of the court and raised an eyebrow to Youhei, while still dribbling the ball at a slow pace.

'…Why?'

'I'll explain later at the end of the game okay.'

Youhei raised his eyebrow and continues to stare at Sakuragi. Once realising that Sakuragi is determined to tell him after the game, he sighed and walked towards Sakuragi.

He hunched into a defensive position and nodded at Sakuragi to start the match. At the sign, Sakuragi started to dribble faster and before Youhei had time to blink, the ball was already swishing into the net. He turned to stare again at Sakuragi with mouth wide open. He then frowned and then raised an eyebrow.

'We're playing for real.' After a pause, Sakuragi added softly, 'Like last time'

With that said and done, the match went on and tried as he might he couldn't stop Sakuragi from winning the match with an unbelievable score of 21-3. At the end of the match, Youhei laid down on the court and gasped for breath. Sakuragi sat down next to him and waited for Youhei to catch his breath.

In a few minutes, after he felt that yes his lungs won't burst any second from now, he slowly sat up and faced Sakuragi.

'Now let's talk.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Woohoo. I finished my second chapter. The next one might me awhile since I don't think I'll have the time to write one during weekdays. I'll try to keep on writing during the weekdays though. Anyway, R & R please. Any suggestions will be greeted with open arms. For now, Sayonara Minna!!!