Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Jin's First Love ❯ At First Sight ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: So goes my prologue. This is chapter 1. The flashback starts from here. BTW, anyone has a titanium cage I can use? My plot bunnies broke free from the one I kept them in. and oh yeah, I'm kinda of adding a bit of Sailor Moon into this. I was listening to some Sailor Moon midi when I typed this.
 
As usual, words in italics refer to thoughts and flashbacks.
 
Disclaimer: SD isn't mine and won't be mine even until the end of time.
 
Chapter 1: At First Sight
 
***************************************************************** *************************
16-year-old Soichiro Jin was walking back home one evening after his very first basketball practice in Kainan High.
 
It was his first day in Kainan High School as a freshman and the 5-hour-long practice really got the best out of him.
 
Walking past a lighted path, Jin's ears perked when he heard something. Curiosity getting the best out of him, the freshman went forward to take a look.
 
What he saw took him by surprise; someone was actually shooting hoops at this time of the day?
 
“Swoosh.” Another perfect 3-pointer went into the net.
 
“Tonk, tonk, tonk.” Went the basketball as it bounced off.
 
The person stepped forward, giving the ball a tap, making it jump higher. Then, he caught the ball.
 
Pulling his baseball cap off, the `he' revealed chest-length blue hair. The `he' was actually a `she'.
 
Jin's eyes widened at the unexpected revelation.
 
Glancing her watch, the girl stopped short, before rushing off, possibly to get her stuff.
 
A girl? Jin thought, quite amusedly as he walked away.
 
He thought nothing of it of the rest of the night.
 
The next morning…
 
Jin was coming around a corner on his way to school, when he hit into something.
 
“Wham.”
 
“Itai.” Came a soft groan in pain on the ground.
 
Or rather someone.
 
Jin blinked for a second, before looking down.
 
There, on the concrete floor was a girl in a school fuku, sprawled on the floor. Her book bag was thrown carelessly beside her.
 
From her school emblem, it was quite clear that she was from a nearby junior high school.
 
“Gomen nasi.” Jin apologized, offering a hand.
 
“Iie, I wasn't looking.” The girl replied, taking his offered hand, pulling herself up.
 
Their eyes met. Dark brown clashed with bright sapphire.
 
What made the girl more distinct was her chest-length blue hair. (A/N: Sounds familiar ne?)
 
Taking a quick look at her watch, the girl gasped, “Shimatta, I'm late!”
 
With that, she grabbed her fallen bag and ran off.
 
Jin looked at her fleeing back in bemusement. Then, he frowned.
 
Blue hair? Could it be…?
 
At that thought, he shook his head.
 
Nah, it's too much of a coincidence.
 
With that last thought lingering in his mind, Jin headed off to school.
 
That evening…
 
Jin was walking past the basketball court as usual, when he heard the sound of someone playing.
 
Peering through the green fence, Jin's eyes widened when he saw the very same girl he had bumped into in the morning.
 
This time, she had left her baseball cap off, tying her hair up in a high ponytail instead.
 
“Swoosh.” Another successful lay-up.
 
“Man, she's good.” Jin breathed. Without knowing it, his feet had led him to the court entrance.
 
Then, Jin accidentally stepped on a fallen branch. The sudden sound caught the female player's attention and she whipped around.
 
Anne's eyes widened when she recognized her intruder.
 
The high school student in the morning.
 
Composing herself, the third-year student of Tomigaoko Junior High gave the high school freshman a slight frown.
 
Jin noted her frown and thought, Uh oh, I think she's angry.
 
“Practice ended late?” came a very unexpected question from the girl.
 
Nande? How did she know? Jin thought frantically.
 
As if to answer his unasked question, the girl replied, “I'm a basketball player myself.”
 
“Nankeo-sensei is really task-driven.” She added. Picking up her bag, the girl walked past him.
 
“Will you be here tomorrow?” Jin asked, out of the blue.
 
“I practice here every school day.” Came her reply.
 
Jin decided to offer his name, “Soichiro Jin.”
 
“Sakuragi Anne.” Came her curt reply.
 
Then, she walked off towards the train station.
 
Jin looked at her passing form with great interest. Sakuragi Anne, definitely an interesting character.
 
Fifteen minutes later, Anne was on board her train deep in thought.
 
Soichiro Jin. She smiled subconsciously. I will definitely be looking forward for tomorrow.
 
Back home, Mrs Sakuragi gave her adopted daughter a look.
 
“What are you smiling about?” she asked.
 
“Nothing.” Came her cheerful answer. Then, Sakuragi Anne went back to her room.
 
SakuragiYuri smiled, she had an inking why. Her little daughter was in love.
 
The older woman fake sniffled, Anne's growing up so fast.
 
Then, she frowned, on the other hand, her son was practically nowhere near what Anne had achieved, but still Sakuragi cared deeply for his adopted sister, in his own way.
 
The Sakuragi gundan too, especially Youhei. The four had treated her as a little sister.
 
Just then, Anne poked her head out, “Okaa-san, I'm going to the hospital tomorrow morning. I'm out of medication.”
 
Sakuragi Yuri nodded her consent.
 
Anne smiled back at her mother and went back to her room.
 
Almost three hours later,
 
Sakuragi Hanamichi burst into the house.
 
“Mou, Hanamichi, you should be more quiet. Anne is asleep upstairs.” Yuri chided her son.
 
The redhead nodded in silence and tiptoed back into his room.
 
Sakuragi Yuri smiled, before switching off the light a few minutes later.
 
The next day, Anne woke up much earlier than usual. Grabbing a piece of toast, she rushed out of the house.
 
After dropping at the station, Anne immediately headed towards the Kanagawa General Hospital.
 
Passing by the basketball court she had used to practice for the last two years, she was surprised to hear the thumping of a basketball dropping to the ground.
 
Her eyes widened at the scene presented to her. Soichiro Jin was practicing 3-pointers.
 
Well, I'll be damned. She thought, with a smile.
 
Taking a look at her watch, Anne's eyes widened like saucers. Shimatta!
 
Almost one hour later, Anne was out of the hospital, with her bottle of refill tablets.
 
Going past the basketball court again, Anne was surprised to see that Jin was still practicing.
Slightly amused, she went in.
 
Bending down, she caught the runaway ball.
 
“Still practicing I see.” She commented, a bemused twinkle in her eyes.
 
Jin blinked for a second, before turning.
 
“Looks like the roles are reversed.” Anne joked.
 
Jin cracked a small smile.
 
“Hai, it does.” He replied.
 
Anne then chest-passed him the ball a split second later.
 
Jin caught it effortlessly.
 
“Let me guess, 500 shots curtsey to Takato-sensei.” Anne guessed, a knowing smirk gracing her face.
 
Jin nodded in resignation.
 
“Daijoubo, Nankeo-sensei does that to me all the time. I get used to it after a while.” Anne
replied, her nose wrinkling.
 
Jin let out a small laugh.
 
“So, that's what you were practicing at night.” He concluded.
 
Anne nodded, “That and a little private practicing on my own.” She answered.
 
Funny, she had not known this guy for a day, and she was conversing to him like some old friend. Well, maybe it was because they were both basketball players.
 
Silence reigned the court as the two players just, well, looked at each other.
 
Minutes passed, before Anne shook herself out of her reveille.
 
Blushing slightly, she muttered an apology, before rushing off to school.
 
Jin blinked for a while, before packing his things and headed off to school.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Sailor Pluto glanced at the viewing orb at her post at the Time Gates and smiled mysteriously.
 
Sakuragi Anne was the reincarnation of the Mercury hime, but the Fate Sisters placed her in a different timeline and dimension. There, she will live for 21 years, happy without any worries, before being transported back to protect the Tsuki no hime.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
During lunch break, Anne was back on the basketball court as usual, practicing her shots.
 
A series of appreciative applause sounded behind her.
 
“Impressive.” Jin whistled.
 
“Why thank you.” Anne mock bowed, trying hard to sniffle her giggle.
 
Jin snorted an amused laugh.
 
Composing himself, Jin asked, “How about a one-on-one?”
 
Anne raised an eyebrow, “Are you sure?”
 
Jin nodded, quite unsure himself.
 
Anne nodded, before replying curtly, “Same rules apply.”
 
Jin nodded and the pair started to play.
 
In midst of their one-on-one, Jin was extremely careful not to touch, ahem, certain parts.
 
Anne had to sniffle a giggle at his attempt.
 
Twenty minutes later, the match was over. The score: 21-18. Anne won.
 
Both sitting on the stone bench, resting, Anne smirked, “You're way too careful.”
 
Jin blinked. So, she noticed.
 
Jin replied in protest, “I had to.”
 
Taking a quick look at her watch, Anne gasped, “Lunch's over.” Jin's eyes widened at the
reminder.
 
Giving each other a silent nod, the two went their separate ways.
 
In Physics, Anne was greeted by a horde of questions from Minami Kinashita, her vice-captain.
 
“Anne, you've been pretty distracted nowadays.” She commented.
 
The blue-haired team captain raised a brow.
 
“What makes you say that?” she asked.
 
“Dunno, maybe it's because your mind's been out of place?” she suggested teasingly.
 
Anne rolled her eyes.
 
One moment later, class begun, much to Anne's relief.
 
That evening, Anne was back at the court after a three hours practice. The headlights were
on, and Anne could guess who was the one using the court.
 
“You know, we really should stop meeting like this.” She teased, stepping into the court.
 
Jin turned and cracked an amused smile at her.
 
“What? Ashamed?” he teased back, mirth glinting in his eyes.
 
Anne laughed, before replying with a straight face, “Iie, but it's really bad for my reputation
as the cool-headed captain of Tomigaoko Junior High girls' basketball team.”
 
Jin raised an eyebrow. Team captain huh? That's interesting.
 
“Practicing?” Jin inquired.
 
Anne shook her head, “Iie, normally I would, but after this afternoon's practice, I'm way too beat to shoot hoops.”
 
Jin could not resist asking, “Then what are you doing here?”
 
“Noticed the lights were on. I had to see who was using the court.” She replied.
 
“Was that the reason, or did you want to see me?” Jin teased.
 
“Very funny Soichiro.” Anne replied flatly, heavy sarcasm lacing her voice.
 
“Har, har.” Jin laughed dryly in response.
 
“So, there you are.” came Minami's voice, standing behind Anne, arms akimbo.
 
“Kinashita-chan.” Anne sighed and turned back to face her vice-captain.
 
Eying Jin for a second, the vice-captain teased, “Boyfriend?”
 
Anne went slightly red, “We're SO going to discuss this, Kinashita-chan.” She hissed, dragging poor Minami off.
 
Once outside, Minami asked, “So, was that?”
 
Anne shook her head, “Only a friend. Crashed into him on my way to school.”
 
“Then, what is he doing on the court, with you nonetheless.” Minami pressed.
 
“I was on the court practicing hoops. He found out about it.” Anne shrugged.
 
“And?” Minami prompted.
 
“Bakayaro Kinashita-chan. Soichiro-san is ashooting guard, like me.” Anne explained, her
patience almost wearing out.
 
Minami raised an eyebrow, a plan formulating in her mind.
 
Anne caught the look and warned, “Kinashita-chan, onegai keep yourself out of my private matters.”
 
Minami sighed and nodded, “Hai.”
 
“Arigato, Kinashita-chan.” Anne muttered in relief.
 
Watching Minami walk off, Anne sighed in relief.
 
“What was that?” Jin asked, appearing beside her.
 
“A vice-captain with an over-active imagination.” Anne answered flatly.
 
She added flatly, “Kinashita-chan thinks she's Aphrodite's human incarnate.”
 
Jin quirked a brow at that.
 
Anne shook her head, “She tries to match-make just about everyone on the team. Operative word being tries.”
 
Jin nodded in understanding.
 
Smiling now, Anne added, “Kinashita-chan was quite successful with a few players, and relatively unfortunate with the others. That didn't stop her.”
 
“How about you?” Jin asked, breaking the silence.
 
“Kinashita-chan knows better than to interfere with my private matters.” Anne replied.
 
“She knows I'll most probably kill her.” She added jokingly.
 
“You're joking right?” Jin asked, slight fear in his voice.
 
Anne chuckled and turned back to face him, her eyes twinkling in amusement, “Of course I am! Why would I want to kill my own teammate?”
 
Jin heaved a sigh in relief.
 
Just then, Anne felt a wave of dizziness hit her.
 
Kuso, why now? She chided herself.
 
Jin saw her wobble a little.
 
Come to think of it, she's a little pale. He thought.
 
Reaching forward, he steadied her, helping Anne to stand.
 
“Daijoubo desu ka?” he asked softly.
 
Anne nodded, blushing slightly.
 
“Guess I skipped a dose of my medication.” She muttered.
 
Sou ka, she's sick. Jin thought.
 
Forcing herself to stand, Anne fumbled about her bag, and retrieved a medication bottle.
 
Unscrewing the cap, she took out a pill and popped it into her mouth.
 
Interferon-alpha? Jin frowned when he caught what the medication read. She has leukemia?
 
Anne caught the puzzled look in Jin's face.
 
“You found out.” She said softly.
 
Jin looked remorseful and nodded.
 
Anne took a deep breath and said, “Hai, I've leukemia ever since I was born. Have been using medication to keep my condition under control.”
 
“Sou ka.” Jin breathed.
 
“Demo…” he continued.
 
“I play basketball?” Anne finished his question.
 
Jin nodded mutely.
 
“I still play, but the doctor warned that I can't stay for more than half an hour on the court.” Anne added.
 
Jin formed an `o' with his mouth.
 
Anne let out a small smile, and walked off.
 
A “Matte!” stopped her in her tracks. Anne turned, only to see Jin running up to her.
 
“I'll take you to the station.” He declared, a determined glint in his eyes.
 
Anne was slightly taken aback, and nodded absent-mindedly.
 
Yup, the seed of romance was planted.
 
When her train arrived, Jin surprised her by giving her a kiss on the forehead.
 
“I'll wait for you tomorrow morning.” He promised.
 
Anne blinked when the door slid shut and blushed profusely as the train sped off.
 
Jin caught her blush and grinned to himself. He made the first move. Now it was up to her to
return it, that is if she ever returns it.
 
Jin made a mental note to thank his onii-chan for the advice.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Flashback
 
Jin's advanced biology book was open in front of him, but the freshman's mind was not on his notes. Instead, it was on a certain blue-haired girl.
 
Off to lala land?” a teasing voice sounded behind him. “It isn't like you kiddo.”
 
Jin turned back only to look into his brother's grinning face.
 
Baka onii-chan.” He retorted, tossing a pencil at him.
 
Soichiro Yukito smiled fondly at his younger brother.
 
Taking a quick look at Jin's notes, he noticed that his kid brother had written the name
`Sakuragi Anne' all over his notebook.
 
So the kid is in love. The older sibling thought.
 
You know kiddo, if you like this girl so much…”
 
Yukito did not have the chance to finish his sentence when Jin stuttered, “I'm not in love.”
 
Then why is `Sakuragi Anne' scribbled all over your notebook?” Yukito asked `innocently'.
 
Jin blinked and turned back to his notes. Indeed, her name covered the entire two pages.
 
Jin blushed at being caught.
 
Yukito smiled good-naturedly and ruffled his younger brother's hair.
 
If you want to know if she likes you back, make the first move. Then, see her reaction.”
He advised, and stepped out.
 
Jin was left contemplating.
 
End of Flashback
 
***************************************************************** *************************
On the train, Anne thought back about Jin's innocent kiss and blushed, yet again.
 
A talk to her mother the previous night had made her realize why she had been spacing off recently.
 
Sakuragi Anne was crushing on Soichiro Jin.
 
Sakuragi Yuri had insisted that Anne was in love, but the girl denied. She could not decide if
she was in love or was it merely a teenage crush.
 
Yuri had told her to trust her heart's judgment.
 
Anne hated to admit, but her mother was right. Soichiro Jin was the only guy who could make her heartbeat race. She had indeed felt an instant chemistry between her and the high school freshman. She knew she was unconsciously opening herself up to him, much more than she did to anyone else.
 
No harm giving him a chance. Anne thought. I can feel that Jin isn't like Kouji.
***************************************************************** *************************
 
Flashback
 
Kouji was the captain of the boys' basketball team. So, it would be natural that the captains of both teams dated. Until, Anne caught him making out with a classmate of his, in a deserted classroom after class, but before practice.
 
Anne had fumed silently, before giving Kouji a cold glare.
 
The dark-haired teen knew he was caught, but he did not give a damn. She was the stupid one to actually think that I was serious. He thought.
 
Fuji, the girl he was making out with, gave Anne a haughty look, as if to announce that Kouji was hers.
 
Anne had smirked at the look Fuji had given her, before retorting sharply that she had known Kouji was a playboy and that she was only using him to learn his basketball skills.
Finally adding a line for Kouji to enjoy his favor of the week the best he as could, Anne shuttled off proudly, leaving both Kouji and Fuji in shock. They had wanted to humiliate Anne, only to have the plan backfire back on them.
 
The very next day, the entire school knew about the break-up. Most girls had glared distastefully at Kouji and Fuji for hurting the girl, while the boys, upon knowing that Anne was free again, began to woo her.
 
Needless to say, Kouji was taught a lesson by the Sakuragi gundun.
 
But, the second-year gave no heed to her suitors. Instead, she focused on both her studies and her team.
 
In that year, much to Kouji's shock, the girls' basketball team in Tomigaoko Junior High won the winter Inter-Junior High.
 
The male could never forget what Anne whispered to him after the school's announcement.
 
Told you you'll regret dumping me, do'aho. And don't even think of wooing me back.”
 
End of Flashback
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Finally decided, Sakuragi Anne went to sleep with a satisfied smile on her face.
 
The next day, Anne got off the train, and blinked in surprise when Jin stood at the station entrance as promised.
 
The high school freshman smiled at her, pulling himself up from his leaning position.
 
“Walk you to school?” he offered.
 
Anne blushed and nodded her consent.
 
On the way to Tomigaoko Junior High, many students noticed the pair. Mutterings were heard all over.
 
Upon arrival at the school gate, Jin gave her a quick peck on the cheek, and whispered,
 
“Don't forget to take your medicine.”
 
Anne blushed, nodded and dashed into the school yard.
 
In Homeroom, Minami headed towards Anne's table.
 
“I've heard that you and Soichiro-san are a couple now.” She said.
 
Anne looked at her and smiled mysteriously, “Maybe. I'm considering giving him a chance after what happened to Kouji-baka.”
 
Minami gave her a slap on the back, “Go for it. I can see that Soichiro-san is a good guy, unlike someone we know.”
 
Anne chuckled at the last statement.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
SailorStar9: So, how was it? Read and review!