Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Miss Match ❯ Unexpected Match ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12

"Finally!" Yuna cried jumping up slightly as she ran down the beach with enthusiasm.

She had removed her cast yesterday evening, and the doctor had told her that her leg was as good as new. She was able to go back to her normal routine. She felt so free, feeling the cooling sea breeze brushing against her face as she jogged. After nearly two weeks, of imprisonment this felt like heaven.

"Yuna chan!" Yuna heard someone called from behind her.

She turned around and saw Ayako cycling in a bicycle, next to the whole group of Shohoku Basketball Team. Akagi was leading them. Yuna smiled and waved cheerfully at them.

"Ayako Senpai!" She cried and slowed down waiting for them to catch up. "Mina, how are you all?"

"I see you had removed your cast!" Ayako said cycling up next to her as she ran next to her with the team. "Good to see you so happy again."

"I'm really glad." Yuna said. "It was like penitentiary, not able to do so many things. Besides, I really hope I will be able to catch up with the scores in the next gymnastic competition."

"I heard they did pretty badly in the last two matches." Ayako said sadly. "You would have to score practically full marks to catch up with the marks they lost."

"I know." Yuna said frowning slightly. "I've seen their marks…but they lost so badly even to score full marks… I doubt it will cover up the marks they lost."

Ayako sighed. "Try you best."

"Definitely." Yuna smiled.

Rukawa who was running at the back of the whole team watched Yuna. She seemed like herself again. The strong will and stubborn person but that night when he heard her speak in her sleep, she seemed so frail and scared at the same time like she was a little girl. At that moment, Rukawa couldn't help but felt like protecting her. Something he never felt for a girl before. He quickly looked away when Yuna turned to his direction.

Yuna moved her eyes to Rukawa when she felt like he was watching her. As soon as she did, he looked away. She was still confused about that night, when her family wasn't at home. She couldn't believe Rukawa had carried her to her bed. For someone who shows no emotions and his uncaring manner would even think of doing such a thing?

Her thoughts were interrupted then by a voice Yuna blenched immediately after hearing it. "YUNA CHAN!" Yuna turned around to see Kutzo running up the beach towards her.

Ayako scratched her head. "He never gives up does he?" She asked.

"Do me a favour Ayako Senpai." Yuna said looking very disconcerted then. "Please use your bicycle and knock him out to sea."

Ayako laughed then. "You have a colourful way of saying things sometimes Yuna. I see what I can do."

"I was just kidding." Yuna said looking cheerful again. "Well, I better sped up before he catches me. Gan batte ne Shohoku!" She punched the air before she ran ahead of them.

"HAI!" The team shouted.

She turned back gave them a cheerful wave and sped up down the beach. To the team surprised she was an awfully fast runner. She ran across the beach towards the road. Jumping over the fence she sped down the sidewalk and disappeared out of view.

Rukawa was also surprised as he watched her run off like that. Was she ever trained to be runner before? He wondered his eyes still staring at the direction Yuna and gone. Kutzo came up to them then, and Ayako told him to leave Yuna alone.

"Never!" He said out of breath. He was never used to running long distance. "Did you see where she went?"

"Dunno." Ayako said curtly. "Just leave her alone!"

Rukawa looked at Kutzo having a feeling like bashing him up to smash potatoes or something. He couldn't understand why he was having this kind of feelings lately. Not wanting to bother much about it, he pushed it out of his thoughts. He had basketball training to concentrate on, he reminded himself. The basketball team then sped up leaving Kutzo behind.

Yuna had finally reached home after, running away from Kutzo. She stood outside the front gate one hand supporting on the wall taking deep breath. It was a first day out after taking off her cast, Kutzo had to come after her.

"Jeez!" She said to herself softly. "How long is he going to keep doing this to me? Give me a break!"

She entered the house then. "I'm home!" She said slightly flustered.

"Yuna!" Kasumi said coming out the kitchen. "I'm glad that you're back. Could you go get some groceries for me?"

"Groceries?" Yuna looked at her surprised.

"I forgot a few things this morning." Kasumi said with one hand on her cheeks. "Beside Rukawa-kun will be coming for dinner. So I was thinking of cooking something extra too. Can you go get me some mince beef and onions!"

"Rukawa?" Yuna nearly tripped when she heard that.

"Hai, I asked him to come over." Kasumi explained. "You see Ojiisan and Kaede Ojiisan had gone to Tokyo this week and his parents aren't around as well. If not mistaken they are also in Tokyo on some business trip. So I invited him to dinner. A boy staying all alone, I'm sure he doesn't even know how to cook."

"I'll go take a bath and change before going out." Yuna said unenthusiastically.

"Arigatou." Kasumi said cheerfully.

Neechan can be very nice all the time. Yuna thought shaking her head softly. She made her way into the bathroom to get her hot bath ready. Why are we so different in so many ways?

*************************************************************** *********

Rukawa made his way to Yuna's house after the practice. It was late in the evening as he pushed his bike down the lonely street. To his surprised, someone familiar was walking at the opposite side of the street down the same direction. Yuna, holding Kasumi's groceries basket was making her way back home. She was wearing a white long sleeve blouse, blue jeans and sneakers. Her head was down, and she looked like she was deep in her thoughts. Rukawa crossed the street then and followed behind her quietly.

Yuna was still disturbed by the dream she the other night, she was thinking if she should go back to China to look for her brother. Besides his training was taking longer than it was suppose to be. She had not seen him for almost four years and she had missed him terribly. She looked up when she heard footsteps behind her. She turned around and saw Rukawa walking a distance not far from her.

"Rukawa how long have you been here?" Her eyes widened with surprised. "Just finish practice?"

He nodded not answering. When he realized Yuna wasn't going to bite his head off the minute she sees him, he walked up to her and they both walked together side by side. Yuna glanced at Rukawa from time to time, watching his poker face wonderingly.

"What?" Rukawa asked not looking at her after a moment passed.

"Nothing…" Yuna mumbled and quickly turned her attention back to the front.

Why can't he show any expressions? Yuna thought and sighed inwardly. Is so difficult to know what his thinking!

"I'm home!" Yuna called when they reached home together.

"Ah welcome home!" Kasumi said coming out the kitchen. "Rukawa-kun, you had arrived! Why don't you stay here tonight? I'm sure we all will be very happy if you could."

Rukawa nodded once and remained silent.

Yuna walked away from them then heading for the kitchen when Kasumi stopped her. She looked at Kasumi's cheery face.

"I'll take the basket." She said. "Why don't you help Rukawa put the bed sheets up in the guest room, I just washed the old one."

"Hai," Yuna said giving the basket to Kasumi unenthusiastically she turned away and headed upstairs.

Yuna entered the guest room and spread up the sheets on the guest bed when Rukawa entered the room. She looked up and smiled slightly to Rukawa's amazement.

"I'll get you some clothes later." She said and continued spreading the sheets.

"Domo." Rukawa said softly.

Yuna turned to him again. They both looked at each other speechless. A sudden spark trigger between them that moment as they stared into each others eyes. However, that spark was interrupted when Sota ran into the room anxiously. They quickly looked away from each other.

"Someone issued a challenge!" Sota cried showing Yuna a letter. "I found this at the front gate!"

"Issued with a letter?" Yuna said surprised. "That is official. Usually they just turn up. Did you see anyone around?"

"No the neighbourhood was deserted." Sota said passing the letter to Yuna.

Yuna opened the letter and raised her brows. "Huh?" she said reading the letter. "This letter is issued to Yuki Oniisan."

"What?" Sota said shocked. "Oniisan? But he is still in China!"

"Don't I know that?" Yuna snapped at Sota and turned back to the letter. "Who ever it is they never sign off. The challenge will be today evening."

"So soon!" Sota said. "But Oniisan isn't around."

"Isn't it obvious?" Yuna said leaving the room. "I'll have to take his place then. Sota, helped me put out the sheets, I'll go get ready."

I'm getting tired of this, Yuna thought to herself. The endless, challenges were really getting on my nerves.

Rukawa watched, Yuna walked out the room and for the first time in his life, Rukawa noticed something in Yuna's eyes that he never noticed before. `Fear' did he see that correctly? He wasn't sure. If it was there, it disappeared almost instantly and was replaced by anger.

"Sota…" Rukawa called.

"Yes Rukawa Oniisan?" Sota asked looking up from the bed. He had just finished spreading the sheets.

"How many challenges had been issued since the day she got back?" He asked.

"How many?" Sota thought hard. "I lost count, ten maybe twenty."

"…." Rukawa stared down at Sota's anxious face.

"Well, today's challenger seemed different." Sota said. "I can feel it. He must be someone really strong or something. Do you want to watch? I watch Yuna neechan most of the time."

Rukawa nodded then.

Yuna had gotten ready in her judo uniform waiting in the training hall. While waiting she decided to do some warm-ups. She arranged a pile of bricks and aimed in the middle with her hand. As she was preparing to break them, Rukawa and Sota walked in. Yuna who had her back on them didn't notice them coming in as she raised her hand into the air and swing down fast.

"HAAAAAIIIIK!!!!!" Yuna yelled as her hand crashed down the bricks breaking them into half.

Rukawa stared, he never seen Yuna practiced before. Sota however jumped with excitement.

"Yuna Neechan you're so amazing!" He cried excitedly. "You are really strong like a boy!"

"Who you calling a boy?" Yuna snapped turning around to him. She stopped herself to say any further when she realized Rukawa was standing next to him. She quickly turned away then.

No time to get angry over petty things. She thought.

"Someone is here!" Kasumi called.

Yuna turned to the entrance then waiting to see the person who come in. She got ready in position as the person walked in calmly. Yuna's mouth dropped opened when she saw who had issued that challenge. She stared at him unbelievingly.

"Horoshi!" She whispered.

"Hey? Yuna neechan knows him?" Sota said looking at the both of them.

Rukawa looked at the boy who wore a smirked on his face and then at Yuna's surprised and utterly stunned face. Soon her surprise expression turned into extreme rage. Rukawa frowned slightly and turned to look at the Horoshi again.

Who is this boy to her anyway? He wondered.

"The older you've grown the prettier you have become." Horoshi said in a sneering way. "Where is your brother? The challenge is issued to him."

"He is not here." Yuna said she raised her hands in front of her, posed herself in fighting position. "I'll be taking his place."

"Your brother's afraid of me?" He said and laughed cruelly. "Is that why he doesn't want to meet me?"

"Who is afraid of you?" Yuna yelled even more furious than before. "How dare you say that about Oniisan?"

"If you remember, the deal was with your brother."

Yuna remained silent watching him anger rising so high she thought she wouldn't be surprise if her ears might come out steam then.

"Deal?" Sota asked. "What deal?"

"Shut up!" Yuna shouted. "That stupid deal, I don't need Oniisan to beat you!"

"Really, he swore to protect you." Horoshi said smiling now. "Can't you remember?"

Rukawa saw something flicker in Yuna's eyes. For a second the anger in her eyes vanished. She looked sad for a moment before it was replaced back by anger again.

What was that all about? He wondered.

"Some brother…" Horoshi laughed. "You do know that if you lose this match you will make the deal to marry me?"

Rukawa clutched his hands into fists when hearing what Horoshi had said. Why am I feeling this way anyways? Rukawa wondered. But I'm sure I will feel really good to crush this guy's face!

"I will never marry you." Yuna said her voice shaking in anger. "You creep!"

"Your brother swore he will never let it happened, and he isn't here to protect you now." Horoshi said and laughed even louder.

"I'll protect myself!" Yuna yelled. Her anger was beyond any anger she had felt before. "I DON'T NEED ANYONE!!!!"

She ran to him throwing him her fists but he dodge away swiftly. Getting ready to give her a sidekick, Yuna too fast for him did several back flip away from him. As she land on her feet again she positioned herself in her fighting pose like usual. She knew that Horoshi wasn't any normal fighter he was trained for many competitions before, and usually he always won.

"By the end of the match," Horoshi said. "You will be my wife."

"Who the hell want to be your wife?" Yuna cried ran to him fake a punch and instead hit him with her leg. He backed away, his nose bleeding.

"You are pretty good…" he whispered wiping the blood away.

He ran to her this time, she blocked a punch and about to give him a sidekick he caught her leg in mid air. That action, took her by surprise as she fell back to the floor. Horoshi still holding on to her leg knelt down.

"You are after all a girl." He whispered at the very angered Yuna. "Looks like this is a good position to kiss."

Sota clasped his eyes shut when he saw Horoshi leaning closer to his sister. Rukawa was livid till his hold body shook from the intense rage. He couldn't understand why he felt this way but he was sure he felt like bashing this boy up for good.

"LIKE I WOULD LET YOU!" Yuna cried as she lean back to the ground taking both her legs giving Horoshi a good lift up into the air and tossed him to the back. Horoshi flew a few feet in air taken off guard. He regained his balance instantly, did a summersault in the air and landed nicely on his feet. Yuna jumped up to her feet at once, and turned around to face him.

"All right Yuna neechan!" Sota cried. "Clobber him!"

Rukawa release his fists slightly. He just realized he was clutching it very tightly and his nails had created marks in his palms.

The fight was much more difficult than Yuna predicted, she was taken by surprised when, Horoshi threw a stick at her ankle. She fell to the ground feeling the pain shooting up her leg. She knew he had shot her joint part of her ankle. She gritted her teeth angrily and noticed that Rukawa was beyond himself as he looked at Horoshi, he only looked that way whenever he couldn't beat his opponent in a basketball match, he took a step forward. She quickly stood up.

`Promise you will take care of Tendoshi Judo Training Hall.' Yuki's voice echoed in her head.

"No Rukawa." Yuna said, raising an arm to stop him. "This is my challenge and I'll have to finish it."

"Who is he to you anyway?" Horoshi asked watching Rukawa with narrowed eyes. "I can see you both are more than just friends. In fact, I think you both actually like each other."

"…?" Rukawa widened his eyes looking at Horoshi slightly surprised. Is it what this feeling meant? He thought still not understanding and most of all confused.

Yuna blushed slightly. She was confused by her feeling as well. Not wanting to think about it she shove it out of her mind and concentrated on Horoshi instead, when she was furious she had no feelings for anyone.

"No way!" Yuna cried. "Just leave him out of this!"

Their challenge went on for another half an hour then. Yuna had a slight scratched on her cheek caused by Horoshi when he lashed out at her and she moved away in a nick of time though not quick enough giving her that scratch. It was bleeding slightly but Yuna was concentrating so hard didn't notice it at all. The pain on her leg was even worst than that tiny scratch anyway. They were both breathing heavily watching each others steps carefully. Horoshi taking Yuna her off guard, gave her a hard kick on her stomach that blew her off her feet. She landed on the ground a feet away from Horoshi. Her whole body shook as she tried to stand up. She was tired and her vision blurred then.

"Yuna neechan." Sota said softly, tears appearing from his eyes. "Nee…"

"Looks like this is the end." Horoshi said walking up to her slowly.

`Remember our promise.' Yuki's voice echoed in her head again. `Remember…'

Yuna's vision cleared then, her eyes shone with determination as she watched Horoshi coming closer. She will never let her brother down, all her life she had tried all her best to make her brother proud of her. She will not lose, no matter what!

"This is the end!!!" Horoshi shouted running to her.

Rukawa was about to step into the fight for he was unable to stand at the side watching anymore stopped on his tracks when he heard…

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Yuna cried lifted her whole body up with her hands, using her legs. She clipped Horoshi between her legs around his neck and threw him to the wall before she fell on the floor again totally winded.

Horoshi didn't get up again after that, Sota jumped up with joy then, tears falling down his face. Rukawa watched Yuna getting up slowly. He had never saw Yuna fought that way before. The first time, was on her first day of school with Kutzo and his team mates but they weren't good fighters. Yuna didn't have any problems taking those boys down but Horoshi however, must be trained in combat like Yuna.

Ignoring Rukawa and Sota, Yuna walked out the judo hall quietly. She didn't dare to look at Rukawa. She didn't want to hear him say that she was a tomboy nor those she had any energy left to quarrel with him. She left the house silently when Kasumi came out the dining room.

"Huh!" Kasumi said watching Yuna leave. "Dinner is already ready. Is Yuna alright? She looks hurt."

Rukawa and Sota came into the house too as they watch Yuna disappeared out through the front wooden gate.

"I'll go see." Rukawa said and left the house too.

"Don't be long!" Kasumi called after him.

Yuna was swinging on the swing like usual when Rukawa found her. He walked over to her slowly with his hands in his pockets. He looked at Yuna silently. Like always Yuna was looking down the ground. She looked up when she saw a pair of feet in front of her.

"What do you want?" Yuna asked softly turning away from him.

"…" Rukawa sat down the swing next to her.

Yuna remained silent watching the other direction. She didn't want hear anything from Rukawa. The only things he ever knew how to say to her was that she was a tomboy and that was the last thing she wanted to hear.

"Here…" Rukawa said.

Yuna turned back to him, and was surprised to see he handed her a plaster. She looked at Rukawa not understanding what it meant. Rukawa looked at her confused face and sighed. Slowly he opened the plaster and pasted it on her cheek where she had gotten a tiny scratch.

"Itai!" Yuna winced touching her cheek softly. "Eh? I didn't know I got hurt."

"What was that all about?" Rukawa asked.

Yuna looked down her hands sadly. "Horoshi was in my school many years back. He was older than Yuki and I and always wanted to date me. He made a promise to marry me one day. Yuki would never let me marry someone like him of course. So they make a deal. When the day comes they will challenge and when Yuki wins. Horoshi will have to leave me alone. My brother did that to protect me. I didn't expect him to come so soon. Horoshi is very good in judo, his intentions was to take over Tendoshi Judo Training Hall when he marries me. Yuki really hates him."

"Yuki hates him, what about you?" Rukawa asked. "Do you like him?"

"What the hell kind of question is that?" Yuna turned him angrily. "Of course I hate him! How can I like a person like that creep? BAKA!"

Rukawa looked at Yuna's furious face quietly and turned away then. He didn't know what made him ask that question but he just wanted to know. He still couldn't understand the feelings he had for Yuna. Feeling confused by the slight gladness he had after he heard Yuna's answer, he stood up expressionless, he turned back to Yuna.

"Let's go home." He said uncaringly.

Yuna stood up then, but wince holding her right leg. She looked down her ankle frowning slightly. It had started to ache even worst than before. Or was it aching all the time? She didn't feel it because she was thinking about Yuki then. Now that, her mind was clear, she could feel the pain trice as much as before. Rukawa walked to her front and knelt down his back on her.

"What are you doing?" Yuna asked.

"You need a piggyback." He replied expressionlessly.

"Stop joking with me!" Yuna said turning away from him and limped off forcing herself to endure with the pain. "I can walk home; I walked all the way here didn't I?"

Rukawa stood up and shoved his hands into his pockets watching her walk out the park slowly and cautiously. Why doesn't she want any help from anyone? He thought following her slowly. He watched her supporting herself on the brick walls of the neighbouring houses as she limped.

"You are only going to hurt yourself." Rukawa said to her.

"Stop being nice to me!" Yuna said. "You're freaking me out!"

The truth was she was getting scared of the feelings she had for Rukawa recently. With him being nice to her would only confused her even more.

"…" Rukawa watched her silently as she struggled to walk home. Then he remembered the time during the challenge as Yuna's voice echoed in his head. `I'll protect myself! I don't need anyone!'

Is that why she is being so stubborn? Rukawa thought.

At that moment Yuna stopped for a moment. The pain had become unbearable then. Only a few more yards and she would be home but the pain had shot up her entire leg then. Why had it got to happen now? She moaned inwardly.

"Itai! Itai!" she whispered not wanting Rukawa to hear.

Rukawa sighed walked up to her front, turned his back on her, knelt down, turned around to grab both her arms and wrapped them around his neck. Quickly, he reached back to seize her legs and lifted her up behind his back like she was as light as a feather.

"What the hell?" Yuna cried, moving her hands away from his neck and she held on to his shoulders lightly. She felt like letting go then but she didn't want to fall off. "Let go of me! I don't need a piggy back! Put me down!"

"Hold on," Rukawa said back coldly having no intention to let her go. "Not my fault if you fall off."

Still holding on to his shoulders Yuna frowned. "Hmmpfff!" She said turning her head to the side.

During the walk home, something trigger in Yuna's heart. She then began to think back the time she was with her brother. She remembered it was a rainy day, and she slipped and fell. Spraining her ankle she couldn't run home. Yuki who was with her gave her a piggy back home.

Yuna blinked, this moment now I'm having? She thought and leaned down on Rukawa's back. Does this mean Rukawa cares about me? But it cannot be. He is always rude and uncaring!!! Isn't he? Closing her eyes, she finally relaxed on Rukawa's back.

Rukawa felt Yuna's tense body relaxed against him. When he felt her leaning her head on his back, he moved his eyes to the back for a second, and noticed that Yuna looked really comfortable and her eyes were closed. He remained quiet as he walked home slowly.

She looks like an angel sleeping. The thought slipped into his mind even before he could stop himself.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okies, this totally doesn't sound like Rukawa at all!!!! But anyways… hope u all like the chapter!!!!! ^_^

Please review!!!! Thank you!!!!