Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Miss Match ❯ Meeting Sendoh Again ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15

Yuna walked out the hair salon, slowly. She went inside to give her hair a cut. It was getting really long now reaching her bottom and she decided to have it cut. Now her hair reached only around her shoulders, even though it's short she tied her hair up in her usual ponytail. She walked down the sidewalk crowded with people walking up and down hurriedly.

Shohoku had just finished, the match with Ryonan High, and Yuna was so happy that Shohoku had won. Haruko, Fujii and she were hugging each other jumping up and down happily when the match ended. She could see Rukawa, looking up at her for a brief moment. Even though he had no reaction on his face she knew that he was really pleased as well. Yuna smiled watching Rukawa, looking relieved that they won.

Yuna reached the train station and sat down at one of the benches. Rukawa had told her to wait for him after her appointment with the salon. He went to look for Ansai Sensei for advice. Though Yuna didn't know why, for he didn't tell her anything. He seemed to be in a very weird mood today. She looked at her watch on her wrist when a train pulled up their station but Rukawa didn't come out.

"He's late." She said softly. "He should be back by now."

So she waited on patiently. When the next train pulled up, Rukawa came down. He looked around and saw Yuna sitting on a bench at the corner of the stop. He walked up to her. She stood up when he reached her. Yuna looked at Rukawa, livid face and wondered; something must have happened at Ansai Sensei's meeting.

"Is something a matter Rukawa?" Yuna asked him.

"Let's go home." Rukawa said ignoring the question.

Blinking, Yuna looked at him walking away out the train stop. Yuna followed behind him slowly. He sure was in a peculiar mood today. Yuna sighed inwardly. She wished that Rukawa would tell her more about himself sometimes. The quietness, usually drives on her nerves. They walked home together, silently. Nevertheless, when they were somewhere near the house Rukawa spoke.

"Yuna…"

"Nani?" Yuna asked slightly startled that Rukawa called her suddenly.

"Did you ever think Sendoh was a better player than I am?"

Eh? Yuna said inwardly. What the hell happened at Ansai Sensei place? That is sure an unusual question.

There was a short silence before Yuna spoke. "Why do you ask?"

"Ansai Sensei told me that Sendoh was a better player than I am." Rukawa said furiously his hands clutched in fists. "I wanted to go America to train but …"

America? Yuna thought shocked.

"So are you going?"

"Ansai Sensei said I couldn't even beat Sendoh yet," Rukawa said annoyed. "He wants me to stay in Japan and train."

Yuna looked up at him then, no wonder he was in such a bizarre mood today. He was thinking of going to America, to continue with basketball training. But that would mean he might be leaving Kanagawa? Yuna suddenly felt her heart dropping down the pit of her stomach. Not wanting to show she was upset, she turned away from him and remained silent.

"We are home!" Yuna called unenthusiastically when they reached home.

Rukawa walked upstairs silently still looking livid and entered the guest room. Yuna watched him disappeared upstairs not knowing what to say. Rukawa lay down the bed looking up the ceiling thinking of what Ansai Sensei had told him. Finally not long later, he made up his mind and got up again. He will go look for Sendoh. He left the room and went downstairs. He was surprised to see Yuna sitting at the front porch. She stood up and turned to him when he came out.

"Let's go, Rukawa." Yuna said with determination.

"…" Rukawa looked at her confused.

"Don't you want to find out who is the better player?" Yuna asked and smiled. "I'm sure you can find Sendoh Senpai at Ryonan High right now."

Rukawa looked at Yuna, stunned beyond words. He couldn't imagine that Yuna would have the same thinking as well. Getting a grip he nodded once and both of them walked out the house. Then he remembered that Yuna hated to lose too. So they did have something in common after all.

**************************************************************** ********

"Sendoh?" Koshino exclaimed. "He isn't here. What are you up to anyway Rukawa?"

Without answering, Rukawa turned to leave with Yuna. They were on the way to Ryonan train station when they met Sendoh walking up the opposite direction. Even Sendoh was surprised to see them he smiled.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi." Rukawa answered, and Yuna just smiled. "I want to ask you for a challenge, one on one."

"Eh?" Sendoh looked at Rukawa slightly bemused. In his carefree, manner he shrugged then. "Why not, this will be interesting."

They made their way to a small park with a basketball court. Yuna followed them, when they reached the park, Rukawa took off his sweater and threw it over to Yuna. It landed on her head then. Caught by surprised, Yuna stood unable to move for a second before she removed the sweater away from her head. Frowning slightly at Rukawa, he was wearing a blue singlet underneath his sweater.

Their game begin, Yuna watched their match quietly at the corner of the court. Soon it was late in the evening and some children from the neighbourhood who wants to play basketball came by. They stood outside the park watching, Rukawa and Sendoh over the fence talking to each other wondering if they were both basketball pros. Yuna looked over to the children smiling. Who wouldn't think they were? They both were the best players in their school. No matter how long they played, they game still ended with a tie. Soon the sun had almost set and the court was about to envelop in darkness.

"Let's leave it as it is." Sendoh said. "It's getting late and we can hardly see the court anymore."

Rukawa remained silent looking at Sendoh for a moment, he turned to look at Yuna then. She was sitting on the ground cross legged watching him patiently, with his sweater folded neatly on her lap. He turned back to Sendoh who was already planning to leave.

"Oh yeah by the way…" Sendoh said as he turned back half way out the court. "Why did you come here to look for me to challenge."

"In the IH match," Rukawa asked. "Is there anyone as good player as you are?"

"Don't know." Sendoh said in his carefree manner.

Rukawa made his way towards Yuna then, she was on her feet waiting for him when Sendoh spoke again.

"I'm sure there is." Sendoh said.

His words stopped Rukawa on his tracks as he turned his head slightly to face him. Yuna started towards them looking slightly apprehensive at both of them.

"I did hear about someone who is very good in the IH match. Someone that I never seen before."

"Name?" Rukawa asked

"Kitasawa." Sendoh said turning away. "Eh? If I didn't remember it wrongly." He turned his head slightly looking over to Yuna. "It nice to see you again Yuna. We should go out to have a drink sometime… besides walking you home the other time…"

"Arigatou Sendoh senpai." Yuna replied with a smile.

Kitasawa? Rukawa thought, but his thoughts about the best player was sidetracked when he heard what Sendoh said to Yuna. Nice to meet her again? Walked home together? They met in private before?

Rukawa turned to Yuna who was standing slightly behind him. She was watching Sendoh leaving. He frowned slightly when he saw the way Yuna was smiling at Sendoh.

When did they meet? Rukawa wondered. I was always with her. Wasn't I? How come I had no idea about this…?

She turned her attention back to Rukawa when she realized that he was looking at her. She inclined her head and walked over to him.

"Here," Yuna passed him a towel, still holding on to his sweater.

"Domo," Rukawa said softly taking it. To egoistic to ask her what exactly happened between her and Sendoh he shook the thought off and focused his thoughts back to his up coming IH matches. "Let's go home…"

"Hai."

They walked out the park together, making their way to the train station as the sun set totally behind the clouds.

**************************************************************** ********

Days go on…

It was after school, as Yuna made her way back home. Rukawa had stayed on for practice like usual. When she reached home, she was surprised that Kasumi ran out the house even before she entered.

"Yuna!" She cried, her eyes bloodshot. "You're home!"

She flung her arms around Yuna and burst out crying. Yuna stunned at her sister action stood on the spot motionlessly.

"Kasumi neechan, nani?" Yuna finally asked.

Kasumi lifted her head and show her a telegram in her hand. Yuna took it still looking bewildered. When she read the telegram, her briefcase slipped from her hand and it dropped to the ground.

**************************************************************** ********

Rukawa made his way to Yuna's house after his practice. When he entered the house, he realized the house was in a very tense atmosphere. He heard someone sniff in the dining hall and walked over to it. He slide the door opened and saw Kasumi inside her eyes bloodshot.

"Rukawa-kun…"Kasumi sobbed wiping the tears from her eyes. "You're home. Gomen… I didn't prepare dinner today. There was bad news, a telegram arrived this morning about Yuna's twin brother, my younger brother."

Rukawa stared at Kasumi not understanding what she was trying to tell him. He looked around the house and realized that, Yuna, Sota and Tendoshi ojiisan wasn't around in the house. The house seemed to be eerily quiet today.

"Sota and ojiisan went out to look for Yuna." Kasumi said. "She had a challenged today… I told her to postpone it but she refused. The state she was at, after she knew her twin brother pass away in a car crash. She ran out the house after the match with her head bleeding… I really hope she is alright!"

Kasumi sobbed again, as Rukawa ran out the house. He knew exactly where to find Yuna now. Rukawa ran all the way to the park, when he reached the dimly lit park he realized Yuna wasn't at the swing. He looked around, she had got to be around here somewhere. He then spotted her sitting under the slide, hugging her legs to herself looking… to Rukawa's surprised. She looked really angry, and not upset and crying liked he had imagine she would be.

Rukawa made his way to her slowly. When he got closer, he saw the wound on her forehead was pretty bad. Blood was already dripping down towards her cheek though she ignored it. She turned her head away from Rukawa when she saw him approaching. Rukawa bent down, went under the slide, and sat next to her. He took out a handkerchief passing it to her.

"You're hurt." He said shortly but gently.

"It's no big deal." Yuna replied curtly. "Just leave me alone."

Rukawa ignoring her impolite reply, reached over to her forehead but Yuna moved away from his reach quickly. Ignoring her move again, Rukawa put the handkerchief on her wound. Getting really annoyed, Yuna jerked her head away from his touch, raise her hand ready to strike him, but he caught her wrist. Glaring at Rukawa, for a moment, Yuna snatched her hand away from his grasp and turned away again.

"Just leave me alone!" She repeated furiously though this time her voice quivered slightly.

Rukawa remained silent and didn't have any intention to go away. He looked down at his hand which had caught Yuna's wrist earlier. He never noticed before that she had such small wrist. She always seemed so strong, stronger than all the girls Rukawa had ever known at yet, she seemed the most delicate.

"He promised." Yuna suddenly said softly. Rukawa turned to her again. Her whole body was shaking then. "He promised he will come home."

Rukawa didn't know what to say remain silent.

"His promise was my hope!" Yuna said her voice quivering, tears had already started to burn her eyelids. She didn't want to cry, but she couldn't hold it in any longer. "My only hope…"

At that moment, tears started to roll down her cheeks. She couldn't bear with it much longer, turning around she flung her arms around Rukawa and burst out crying on his chess, like she had never cried before. She didn't know what to do anymore. She just felt that she had lost everything in the world. Rukawa looked down, at Yuna clinging onto him, feeling heartbreaking watching her being so sad. Slowly, Rukawa touched her head gently, and another hand wrapped around her back. Yuna felt very small in his embrace, like she needed someone to protect her.

I'll protect her then, the thought slipped into Rukawa's head without him realizing it and was glad he didn't blurt it out for he tend to say things before he even realized what it was when it had anything to do with Yuna.

Minutes passed, and Yuna finally stopped crying though she still lay on Rukawa's chess. She never felt so relaxed with someone before. Rukawa was still embracing her when he spoke.

"Promise me something." He said softly.

Yuna looked up at him then. He was looking straight ahead, his face for the first time Yuna saw, was very gentle.

"Promise me you will never stop fighting to keep Tendoshi Judo Training Hall save and I promised you I will become the best player in Japan."

Yuna's eyes widened.

Rukawa looked down at Yuna then. "A new promise, a new hope."

Rukawa was glad when he saw Yuna's eyes brightened slightly. She nodded her head with a small smile on her face. Rukawa stared at her `after crying face'. She still looked pretty even though her eyes were red and puffy.

What the hell am I thinking about? Rukawa wondered astounded that he just thought that Yuna was pretty.

"Let's go home." Rukawa quickly said then letting go of her swiftly before he starts to think implausible thoughts again.

Yuna nodded again, drying her tears quickly.

They both got up and made their way home together. Yuna felt her heart feeling very much lighter than it was before. All her sadness, frustration and feeling lost, were suddenly washed away.

"A good cry really made me feel much better." Yuna said softly. She turned to Rukawa and smiled. "Domo arigatou Rukawa, for being here for me."

Rukawa, smiled faintly in returned and thought; why do I feel happy just because she just thanked me?

**************************************************************** ********

Yuna looked down at the basketball court, while they practice after school. She was standing upstairs alone watching Rukawa quietly while the other girls screamed and yelled to get his attention. Rukawa was really different in practice today, while Yuna watched him she could sensed his determination to become the best basketball player in Japan. Yuna smiled watching him practice with his Senpai seriously ignoring the annoying cheering and shouting his fan club was making. His senpai were so surprised at his determination today. Turning away from the court Yuna walked away. Everyone had noticed that Rukawa willpower that evening even Yuna who barely watched him practice before.

Yuna walked out the school alone then, she was making her way home when someone called her name. She turned to that direction and saw Sendoh walking up to her smiling. She looked at him with a surprised smile on her face.

"Sendoh Senpai?" Yuna said. "You came here to visit a friend again?"

"Iya, today I came here to see you." Sendoh replied pushing his hands into his pockets.

"Me?" Yuna looked even more astounded then.

Sendoh then noticed the bandaged on Yuna's forehead. "What happened? Another accident?"

"Iya, I was careless during a Judo match that's all." Yuna said touching her forehead. "It's no big deal, just a few stitches."

"You know what, every time I come to Shohoku, you always had injuries somewhere on your body."

Yuna blushed.

"What to have a drink with me like I said we should the last time?" Sendoh asked then. "We can go to Danny's."

Yuna who had nothing to do that evening nodded. They made their way to Danny's quietly then. Both of them got a corner seat and ordered a drink. Yuna remained silent as she stared at her hands. She was wondering why Sendoh had come to look for her.

"So how is Rukawa these days?" Sendoh asked. "Is he practicing hard?"

"Like always." Yuna said looking up at him. She always liked Sendoh's smile. She hoped that Rukawa would smile more often like Sendoh did because he really looked nice when he did. "Why did you come meet me today, Sendoh Senpai?"

"Well, I thought I wanted to see you. That's why I came." Sendoh replied.

Yuna inclined her head then.

"I know you and Rukawa are close." Sendoh continued. "Sometimes I wonder if we could be close if we got together more often."

"Huh?" Yuna blushed then. "I am not close to Rukawa." She added softly.

"Really?" Sendoh smiled skeptically. "That day when you accompanied him to challenge me, you waited for him so patiently. I had never seen any girl waiting for a boy like that before. I mean from what I know boy's always do the waiting."

"Eh?" Yuna became paled then and speechless.

"Do you like him?" Sendoh asked.

"Iya!" Yuna finally found her tongue had said out a little too loudly. She blushed then and quickly calmed herself down. "Gomen, I mean iya, I was just watching the game."

Sendoh smiled. "How I wish to have someone like you understanding me sometimes."

Yuna's eyes widened. "Sendoh Senpai?"

"I really wish to get to know you better." Sendoh said then being very serious. "If you will let me."

Yuna feeling very startled at what Sendoh had said remained silent then.

"Would you like to be friends?"

"We are always friends Sendoh Senpai." Yuna said smiling.

"I know, but we can always try to know each other better."

"Well …" Yuna stammered slightly. "I guess we can…"

"You are a very special girl Yuna." Sendoh said. "I knew that the first day I met you. If you were at Ryonan High, I can tell you, we will be best of friends."

"Arigatou Sendoh Senpai." Yuna said slightly abashed. No one had told her she was special before. Rukawa only knew how to call her tomboy anyway. She sighed inwardly, right Rukawa always called her that. She looked at her watch and realized it was late in the evening. "Sendoh Senpai, I wish I could stay longer but I have to go."

"Let me walk you home." Sendoh said.

Yuna smiled and nodded. Sendoh accompanied Yuna back home slowly wishing that the time would go by slower. Now that he had more time since his team did not make it for the IH, he could come see Yuna more often. He watched Yuna's pretty face as they walked back to her house side by side. He was enchanted by her the first day he met her and could only hope to get to her better, better than Rukawa. They stood outside the front gate when they reached Yuna's house.

"I guess I should head home soon." Sendoh said. "Hope to see you soon again."

"Hai." Yuna replied and waved.

As Sendoh walked away, Rukawa had returned from his evening match and saw him walking away from Yuna's house. He stopped on his tracks and a frown crept into his face as he watched him walked off in a different direction. Yuna stood at the front gate watching him leave with a slight smile on her face.

What was he doing with Yuna? Rukawa wondered staring at Sendoh until he disappeared around the corner.

He turned his attention back to Yuna to see her, looking daze as she stared at the direction Sendoh had gone. Slowly he made his way towards her and stood next to her looking down at her with his usually emotionless expression. Even it bothered him seeing Sendoh with Yuna, he wasn't going to show it.

Yuna then realized someone standing next to her turned to see Rukawa, standing close to her, his hands in his pockets looking at her. She blinked and smiled softly.

"Rukawa, finished practice already?" Yuna asked still smiling.

"Hai," Rukawa replied shortly and turned away from her to enter the house.

"Eh?" Yuna stared after him wonderingly.

She could never understand him, last night he was so nice to her and today, he practically just shoved her aside like she meant nothing to him. Frowning angrily she entered the house not long later.

Sendoh was so much nicer than him. Yuna thought furiously. Maybe I should just get to know him better…

However in Rukawa's thoughts; that baka, who cares if she goes out with Sendoh…

But secretly deep in his heart he cared as he turned over to watch Yuna who ignored him totally and entered the kitchen to help Kasumi with dinner.