Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ The Girl That Time Loved ❯ Party ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The moment he and his family opened the front door, the loud ringing of the telephone sent Mitsui flying across the living room to grab the cordless phone. The rest of his family rolled their eyes and smirked, retiring to their rooms.

"Mitsui residence," he answered.

"I'd like to speak to Mitsui Hisashi, please," said a bass voice on the other line.

He was a little disappointed that it wasn't her. "This is he speaking."

"Mitsui-san, it's Jackson."

"Hey, what's up?"

"Plans for the party. Could you give me the address of the house where the party will be held?"

Mitsui smiled at the bodyguard's forwardness. After being exposed to Jackson and the others these past few days, he had learned to expect it. He gave him the address and phone number of the Miyagi residence, as well as the directions from his house to Miyagi's. He mentioned that the basketball team will be there, as well as a few other people from his high school along with the volleyball team.

"Will there be alcohol?"

"I believe so." Silence fell at the other end of the line. "Jackson-san?"

"That might complicate things."

Mitsui hoped that the guard wouldn't be swayed from letting Reiko attend the party. "I wouldn't worry about that, Jackson-san. I know the guys who are going to the party, they're pretty cool. This isn't the first time Ryota threw a party, and they've all been pretty undisruptive. The only things I suggest to bring are earplugs. Yohei and his buds often play the deejays, and they rock the house."

He thought he was talking tot a deal line for a second.

"Can these people be trusted?" the bodyguard's bass voice asked.

"I've gone to school with most of them, and they're a great bunch. So yes, I'd trust them with my life."

After another moment of silence did Jackson reply. "Thank you for answering my questions."

"No problem." Mitsui tapped his finger unconsciously on the sofa. He had the gnawing need to hear Reiko's voice just once more tonight.

"Oh, hold, please." After several seconds of silence, the bodyguard's voice returned, this time his tone less serious and even a little puckish. "Mitsui-san, I can't help but overhear the ladies talking earlier. Did my ears deceive me or were those two ladies on the team talking about Fuji and Miller?"

He had to laugh, the contrast of seriousness and sudden playfulness a bit staggering. "Yeah, you heard right. But if they want to know more, it's probably better to ask the girls themselves."

Mitsui heard a smirk. "This is really amusing. Anyway, thanks again for the details. We'll see you tomorrow."

"Wait. Do you think I could talk to Reiko-san?" he asked.

Jackson chuckled, and the shooting guard couldn't make heads or tails of what the laugh meant.

"Let me give you the number to her line."

Mitsui scrambled to find a pen and took the newspaper from the coffee table. He scribbled the numbers down.

"Mitsui-san, I don't know what it is with you, but of the many years of guarding Nakamichi-dono, I've never seen her eyes as blue as they are when you're with her. It's encouraging to see her happy again."

"I don't know, either. All I know is that she's changed something in me."

// Man, it feels good to get that off my chest. //

"You seem to be a nice guy. I hope you don't change our mind about you."

He laughed. "Me, neither."

"And I hope you're as mentally fit as you appear to be."

"Why is that necessary?"

"Because you are now at the point where others like you stopped and turned away after getting to know about her."

Mitsui was hushed by his words. He didn't understand. Seconds passed by.

"I've said enough. Thanks again."

Click.

The abrupt end of their conversation didn't help his confusion. // What was that about? // Lowering the phone from his ear, he eyed the number on the newspaper. He dismissed that nagging curiosity that often got him in trouble. Dialing the number, he let the other line ring. Whatever Jackson's words meant, Reiko would reveal herself. And like a good gentleman, he was going to be true to his word: he would wait until she was good and ready.

"Hello?" a feminine voice answered.

"Hello, may I speak to Reiko-san, please?"

"This is she speaking. Is this Mitsui-san?"

"Guilty as charged. I hope you don't mind me calling. I asked Jackson-san for your number."

"I'm surprised he gave it to you."

"I take it you don't get many calls?"

"You've taken correctly," she replied.

Mitsui got up off the sofa and paced around, making small talk with her, hoping she wouldn't notice the quiver in his voice after each spoken sentence. As the minutes ticked by he was more comfortable, bringing up the events that occurred in the gym, Coach Sato and the stars in his eyes, and every other thing that came to mind. They were all just excuses for making conversation.

He only wanted to hear her voice.

After talking for an hour, they agreed to meet before practice at the top of the steps leading to the annex gym. Before saying goodnight, Reiko let out a soft laugh.

"They must trust you a lot, Mitsui-san."

"Who?"

"Mr. Jackson and the others."

"Oh… because he gave me your phone number?"

"Because they allow you to be within a meter of me."

His eyes widened. "Wow… I feel extremely privileged. Got an idea why they trust me so much?"

"Hmm… I don't know their reasons, but I do know you're nice, and that may be one of them."

"Thanks. That means a lot to me." He grinned and rubbed the corner of a throw pillow on the sofa. "So I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Indeed. Will you be practicing early in the morning?"

"Only if you'll be there," he said, partly joking, fully entreating.

"I suppose I should register for classes tomorrow instead."

"Oh, which classes are you going to take?"

"I haven't decided yet. Where does one register for classes, Mitsui-san?"

His face brightened. "If you want, I can show where to go and the rest of campus."

"That's very kind of you, Mitsui-san, but I don't wish to impose on you."

// Man, she's too polite sometimes… // "You won't be imposing, I promise."

"Thank you very much."

The following morning was a walk in the clouds for the shooting guard. After taking Reiko to the registrar's office, he showed her the school grounds and introduced her to some of his friends whom they happened to pass by in the hallways. He felt light-footed with each step he took, and he got many approving nods from his envious guy friends. And who wouldn't be envious? Beside him walked the most beautiful woman that ever graced the grounds of this campus. Never mind that she was followed by four formidably robust guards. He was lucky. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

"You know, you never did tell me what classes you're taking."

She arched a brow and grinned. "Curious?"

"Like a cat by a goldfish tank," Mitsui smirked.

"But you already know, so there's no need to tell you," she replied, still grinning.

"Huh? What kind of answer is that?"

"You'll see."

Their little group happened to run into Mr. Harada who was talking to a reedy man with coke-bottle glasses in his late thirties carrying several thick textbooks in his arms.

"Ah, good morning, Reiko-chan," greeted the president. "I'd like to introduce you to the department chairman of the math department, Nishida Kazuma."

The book-burdened man was greeted with a bow. "I am pleased to meet you, Nishida-sensei."

"And this lovely young lady is Nakamichi Reiko. She's a new student, and she'll be taking some math classes here. Nishida, I'm willing to bet she'll ace all your exams, she's quite brilliant."

Glancing demurely down the ground, she mumbled, "Harada-san, there is no need for honeyed words."

Mitsui smiled at the president's reaction.

"Well, I must be going now. Pleased to meet you, too, Nakamichi-san." The reed with glasses curtly acknowledged them and disappeared into his corner office. The president merely shrugged.

"What an eccentric man…" he sighed.

He apologized to Reiko for not having the time to show her around and thanked Mitsui for taking his stead. He left the bemused pair and their guards, walking away while looking down on his Palm Pilot.

"I guess there are people who don't have the time to stay still and people who need all the time to be still."

Reiko cast a sideways glance at the shooting guard who was still ruminating on his words.

"Nakamichi-dono, it's five minutes till the hour."

"Oh. Thank you for reminding me, Sakai-san. We wouldn't want Mitsui-san to be late for his classes now, do we?"

Mitsui was a little puzzled and eyed her with a playful grin on his face, noting the elfin tone in her voice he often heard in his little sister's voice when she was up to something. He squinted suspiciously at her cryptic blue eyes.

"I guess not," he replied.

"Well then, shall we go?"

"O-okay..."

He didn't get it, but he didn't care. As long as she was there beside him, he wouldn't protest.

They walked to the next building and entered the main hall, turning many heads as they passed by. The bodyguards were wearing their black suits that day, and their tall figures towered over most of the people around them except for Mitsui and the approaching Akagi.

"Yo, Mitsui, Reiko-san. I heard from an overjoyed Nanami this morning that you were stellar during yesterday's practice. Congratulations, though I think everybody knew it was a gimme for you, Reiko-san."

She blushed as she thanked him and gave him a quick bow with her head. She introduced the tall center to the men around her. After getting acquainted, all entered the lecture hall, much to Mitsui and Akagi's surprise. Taking a seat beside Mitsui, the guards took their positions by the two exits and the outer seats of the row where they sat.

"Are you in this class, too, Reiko-san?" Akagi inquired.

"It seems that I am now, Akagi-san," she replied with a smile.

Mitsui beamed and finally understood. "That's great news to me."

It came time for afternoon practice and Mitsui waited at the top of the steps outside the annex gym as promised. Reiko had to leave to make some more calls and had to return to her house. Feeling the wind blow past him, Mitsui wondered who she had to speak to and what they talked about. Were they loved ones, perhaps? Maybe her parents. Or maybe a boyfriend.

// Man, I hope not...//

He didn't think that a boyfriend would approve of him being around Reiko all the time and that it would be violently upsetting. If he was her boyfriend, he would be. He certainly didn't want to get into a confrontation if she did have a boyfriend, especially if that boyfriend was as brawny as her bodyguards.

That is, IF she had a boyfriend.

His eyes caught sight of the black Suburban and followed her form from the moment she stepped out of the vehicle with two of her men to the second she reached the top of the steps.

Inside the gym the ladies of the volleyball team all sat in a circle, legs stretched out and torsos flexed forward. They were tickled by the idea of Mitsui joining them to stretch out before practice and made room for him in the circle, the single thorn among the roses. At first he felt awkward stretching in synchrony with a bunch of girls. Then again, he was sure many other guys would kill for the opportunity to be in his shoes right then.

Stretching was over and Mitsui took comfort in Reiko's soft smile, her rosy lips uttering the same reassurances he had given her yesterday. He stood and pulled Reiko up to her feet, his eyes fixed to her bright blue ones.

"Good luck, Mitsui-san. I'm sure you'll astound them."

He laughed. "If I can come close to how well you did yesterday, I'll be happy."

"Round it up, ladies!" shouted Coach Sato at the girls. He nodded acknowledgment at the shooting guard. "Kick some ass, Mitsui-kun!" The rest of the volleyball team cheered him goodbye.

That made the shooting guard smile. Turning his gaze back at Reiko, he said, "Okay. I gotta go. In case I don't see you after practice, I'll see you at the party. All right?"

A smile tugged at the corners of her lips and she nodded.

Upon entering the main gym Mitsui was greeted by a jolting handshake from the coach named Miwa and pats on the back from all the players, including Akagi and Miyagi. The basketball team did some shooting drills and worked on new plays, the coach observing the interaction between the former Shohoku High players.

The way they ran across the court.

The way they passed the ball to each other without even looking.

The way their eyes communicated silently.

They moved like clockwork.

Mitsui's accurate shooting more than exceeded the basketball coach's expectations. He only regretted that he didn't join the team sooner. For about five minutes or so the coach asked the shooting guard to shoot three-pointers from every point of the arc, a task Mitsui did with pleasure. It was his favorite drill. Every basket he made went in. Shouts of support from his new teammates fueled energy into his shots. Akagi and Miyagi stood by the bench with smirks on their faces, drinking from water bottles. Mitsui had remained consistent as always. When the shooting guard got to the other end of the arc, he ended the drill with a jump shot and released the ball with the same fluid form as before, the one of the most beautiful Coach Miwa had seen only a few times in his coaching career.

"All right, gather in, gentlemen. Great job, Mitsui-kun. I am so glad you finally came to your senses and joined the team."

The team laughed.

"Just to let you know, Mitsui-kun, we've got a game this coming weekend."

The shooting guard's ears perked up. "Miwa-sensei, will it be a home or away game?"

"Home."

"Oh. Do you know if Sato-sensei's team plays home or away this weekend?"

"I'm not sure. But you can ask him right now, he's up on the balcony bleachers."

Mitsui looked up and scanned the seats above. Sure enough, the volleyball coach sat on the first row by the railing, his new player sitting beside him. The shooting guard's lips parted slightly at the sight; his heart skipped a beat. How long had she been there? He thought she was busy playing next door in the annex gym, yet there she was, watching from above for God knows how long. He was suddenly conscious of himself.

"Oh no, not you, too, Mitsui-kun..." said Coach Miwa, shaking his head and smiling.

"What about me?" asked Mitsui.

"Miwa-sensei found out that Kazuma and Keiichi here are head-over-heels crazy for two of the girls on the volleyball team," explained Miyagi while nudging the two blushing players, Akagi suppressing a laugh in the background.

"Gentlemen, I don't care what you do off the court, so long as you don't let it jeopardize your ballgame."

"Hey coach, since we're talking about off-the-court business, you coming to the party tonight?" asked Miyagi.

Coach Miwa laughed. "If the party has booze, he will come!" Everyone jeered at his answer. Looking down at his watch, the coach changed his tone. "We've got ten minutes left, gentlemen. To the lines, please."

The players hurried to line themselves in a row at one end of the basketball court. At the coach's command, they sprinted to the center line, back to the starting line, then all the way to the other end of the court and back again. Horses.

Mitsui's eyes found themselves straying to the balcony where his stretch partner sat. She got up with Coach Sato and made their way to the stairs. After completing another horse, his eyes searched for her to descend the staircase, and he saw the two approach the basketball coach.

He watched them as an introduction was made, his throat burning from the quick exchange of air the exercise demanded.

Another horse.

He spied on them, and Coach Miwa had a slight pink tinge to his fair visage. Reiko did it again. He smiled as he ran to the center line.

The coaches now shook hands and Coach Miwa seemed to be thanking Reiko with a bow. He quickly averted his gaze when Reiko looked at the running players, her hands behind her as she stood by the coaches.

The team did over a dozen horses and all the players were leaning against the padded brick wall, breaths ragged from the running drill. Mitsui thought the ten minutes lasted an eternity; he hasn't done much running in a while. He looked up at the coach and was disappointed that Reiko had left. He just hoped he didn't look like an ass on the court.

After practice was over, Coach Miwa handed the shooting guard a folded piece of paper and gave him a pat on the back, expressing his thanks for joining the team. He waited until the coach walked out of the gym and the other players flooded the locker room to read the note.

Mitsui-san -

Please give us a call to tell us what time you'll be at the party.

He had hoped that the note came from her personally, but left unsigned, it only left him to speculate.

"Mitsui! Quit standing there and hit the showers! You probably smell like an ox!" yelled Miyagi.

The shooting guard cocked a grin at him. "How the hell would you know, shorty?"

"Why else would your princess leave so soon? She probably smelled you, you reek of sweat!"

"What?! Why you-"

Miyagi laughed and ran into the locker room and an aggravated Mitsui pursued.

Shouts through the locker room could be heard seconds later.

Upon arriving home, Mitsui hurried up the stairs, threw his things in his bedroom and took another shower. He worked up another sweat on the way home trying to give Miyagi a good-natured but rough beating. The point guard was lucky that Akagi was there to hold him back.

After getting dressed, he walked downstairs and received loud cat calls from his family.

"Looking good, son!" his father approved with a thumbs-up.

"My, Hisashi! You look great!" his mother sang, teary-eyed.

"Wah, you look so handsome, Oniichan!" Ami winked.

"Thanks," he replied awkwardly. He picked up the phone and dialed Reiko's number.

"Hi, Reiko? I'll be at Miyagi's in ten minutes... Okay... I'll be waiting then... See you there."

As he hung up, his mother happened to sneak by with a digital camera. By the time he turned around to look, his image was captured in his mother's tiny little camera.

"Mom! What are you doing?!"

"My son doesn't dress up like this everyday! I must capture these few moments to remind myself that I have a fine-looking son when I'm old and gray."

He rolled his eyes. Taking his leave he set out for Miyagi's house, only several blocks away.

He rang the bell and Ayako answered the door.

"Mitsui, you're early! You usually show up fashionable late to Ryota's parties. Come in," she ushered.

"Thanks," he said, taking a look at the deejay equipment Yohei was setting up. "Hey Yohei, how's it going?"

Yohei beamed at the shooting guard. "Yo, Mitchy! Long time no see! Heard you've got a great-looking girlfriend. Where is she?"

"Yeah, Mitsui. Akagi told me she's got you wrapped around her finger," Ayako teased.

Feeling himself redden, he brought two his fingers to his furrowed brow. "Damn, how does everybody know about her? And she's NOT my girlfriend!"

"Well, I guess from that reaction you really are wrapped around her finger," she cajoled.

Out of the kitchen came Miyagi who found his place by Ayako's side. Mitsui can't help but think how good they look together. He smiled.

"Hey, Mitchy. So, we're finally gonna meet her! Wait, where's Reiko-san?"

"I'm supposed to wait for her outside. Hey, didn't you see her at practice while we ran horses?"

"If I did, I didn't get a close enough look."

Ayako pinched Miyagi's arm. "Ow! It's not like I'm interested in her, Aya-chan! I just want to know who Mitsui's crazy about. Admit it, you're curious, too!"

She pouted. "You're right, I'm really curious."

Mitsui heaved a sigh. It was time to change the subject. "Have Hanamichi and Rukawa arrived yet?"

"Well," piped in Yohei, "Sakuragi and Haruko-san are gonna be late, they're at her piano recital as we speak. Rukawa's at the mini-bar."

"And Akagi?"

"Right here," answered the tall center, his mouth preoccupied with a chicken drumstick.

Mitsui's hands dug in his slacks and he cleared his throat.

"Um, listen guys, Reiko-san is new to Kanagawa and she doesn't have many friends our age. She's always with her bodyguards, and she's kind of shy, but she's a great person once you get to know her. So please, don't be intimidated by the guards, okay? They look stern, but they're actually nice..."

"We get it, Mitsui," said Ayako. "Sayuri called me earlier and told me about her and her `gorgeous' entourage. Don't worry, we'll make sure your angel has a good time, right, Ryota?"

"I'm all about the `good time' part, but what's with this `gorgeous entourage' thing?"

She smirked and winked. "We're even now." Waving them off, she excused herself to finish preparing the food in the kitchen, Miyagi following her and fishing for reassurance that she wasn't one bit interested about the bodyguards.

"Well, I don't want to be in the middle of that argument. Guys, I'll be waiting for her outside."

"The guys should be here soon as well. Go be the doorman, Mitchy," sneered Akagi.

"Shut up," he answered mockingly.

Miyagi's house was a little larger than Mitsui's, and in the front yard was a garden of flowers which Mrs. Miyagi painstakingly tended to on her free time. He sat on a wicker chair and waited by the date. Sure enough, the basketball team came in a big herd, each one giving Mitsui a firm handshake an a pat on the shoulder. After they all entered the house, he glanced at his watch. Ten minutes had passed.

Standing up, he walked through the gate, looked around to find the black Suburban parked a few houses down from the Miyagi's residence. All four bodyguards in button-up shirts and slacks were standing outside the car with no Reiko in sight.

// Did they get lost? //

He approached the men and was greeted by Fuji. "Hey, Mitsui-san. She'll be out shortly."

"Where is she?"

"Inside the Suburban," replied Sakai.

"Last minute touches?" guessed the shooting guard.

"Phone call," said Jackson.

They stood by the vehicle looking at their surroundings: the flowery potted plants of the house in front of them, a trellis thick with snaking wire plants, a bird cage with a red bird chirping. All heads turned when they heard a car door open.

Reiko stepped out of the vehicle, smoothing her skirt of iridescent black. The silk fabric clung to her like second skin at the hips and flared out, and the same color blouse she wore was a scoop neck cut, revealing soft skin that covered the bony prominences of her clavicles. A familiar pendant hung around her swan-like neck, and the blush on her cheeks was real. Kept out of her face, her thick silken hair was artfully pinned back and fell loose past her shoulders, a sight he'd only seen once before. Her eyes that shone bright blue found his gawping one and she smiled. It was difficult for him to breathe in the presence of her resplendent figure; it took much more self-control to will himself from reaching for her and kissing her. Mitsui tore himself from this wishful thinking and slightly shook his head.

"Hello, Mitsui-san. I apologize for the wait, I had an urgent call. Will this attire be appropriate for the party?"

He nodded, the apology forgotten. "You... you look great," he stammered.

"Thank you, Mitsui-san." She noticed the redness of his cheeks and the shirt he was wearing. She smiled. "That shirt suits you very well. You look very good in it."

It was the shirt she gave him. He melted at the compliment and was now blushing furiously.

"I guess your eyes and my shirt match." He motioned to the men to follow his lead, Reiko walking alongside of him. Through the gate, they arrived at Miyagi's front door. Mitsui glanced behind and noticed Jackson jabbing the younger Fuji with his elbow. He grinned.

"I... I'm a little nervous," she whispered.

"Don't worry. I'll always be nearby, just come get me if you feel uncomfortable, though I doubt that'll be the case. Everyone here's nice. So you ready?"

She smiled faintly and nodded, her eyes retreating into grey.

He reached for the doorknob and ushered the group in. The living room was filled with people, and Yohei and Akagi were placing the last speaker in place. Ayako was first to notice the guests. She excitedly whispered into Miyagi's ear and the two wove through the crowd of guests to stand before Reiko and her men.

"Hey guys, this is Reiko-san. And to her left is Sakai-san, this is Jackson-san, Fuji-san and Miller-san. Everybody, this is Ayako and Miyagi."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Reiko greeted with a bow. The men followed suit. Jackson produced a bottle of wine he held from his back and presented it to Miyagi.

"This is for your party. I hope you like it," Reiko said.

Miyagi never expected to be given a gift for throwing a party, and he was a little shocked at how Reiko carried herself. He was told that she was very, very polite, but he didn't think it would be like this. He accepted it with thanks and invited them to living room. Plates of food were on the dining table, and the mini-bar was seeing a lot of traffic, Rukawa being the bartender. Miyagi asked them to help themselves. Ayako left Reiko to chat with the volleyball team who clustered themselves by the DJ equipment and met up with Miyagi who was clumsily looking for a bottle cooler.

"Ryota, she's so cute! Did you see her eyes? They're gorgeous!" she exclaimed.

"Aya-chan, this girl's got some serious money. Look at the year on this bottle."

She looked at the label and saw the year on it. `1970'. Ayako was clueless when it came to the different kinds of wines but she knew that the older they were, the more expensive they retailed. "Oh my gosh! How generous of her! That bottle is older than us!"

"Tell me about it," mumbled Miyagi, still looking for the bottle cooler. Mitsui found the two of them opening cabinets and drawers in the kitchen, and Ayako beamed at the shooting guard.

"Mitsui, your girlfriend is so pretty! It's like she stepped out of a love story! I'm so happy for you!" she squealed.

"Ayako, she's not my girlfriend!" he said through his teeth, looking over his shoulder and hoping no one else heard them.

"Ah, found it! I'm with Aya-chan on this one, Mitchy. She's a pretty girl. And if you were as smart as me, you'd better get on the ball and make that girl yours, just like I did with my Aya-chan. There are plenty of wolves out there!"

"Yeah, yeah... dude, she's not a piece of meat, all right? And I don't know her all that well yet," he reasoned.

"But we know you like her, or you wouldn't be going red like you are now," chorused Ayako. She glanced over Mitsui's shoulder to check on his lady friend. "She seems to be getting along fine with the girls, she's not that shy like you said."

"I'm glad about that."

From the living room the music boomed through the speakers, an up-beat tune that Yohei played on the turntables. The rest of the Gundan were busy flipping through cases of CDs. The bodyguards were not too far away from Reiko, and they all got offered a drink by Ayako. Rukawa for reasons unknown to her made a mean blue Hawaiian, and everyone was holding a glass of it.

"Reiko-chan, I'm so glad you brought the cuties with you!" whispered Sayuri. "Won't you introduce us?"

"Pleeeaaase?" pleaded Miki.

They made her laugh and Reiko walked them over to where the men were standing with some of the players of the basketball team. She gladly introduced them to all four, and the older guards couldn't help but grin at the two younger ones whose cheeks stained pink. The two girls had struck a conversation and both the younger guards were immediately absorbed into it. Sakai and Jackson coolly walked away, making eye contact with Reiko to show her where they'll be. Soon, Akagi started talking to them and Reiko was happy that everyone was occupied for the time being.

She looked around the house and strayed into the hallway that led to the master bedroom. On the walls, pictures of Miyagi's family hung, from baby pictures to little league basketball, high school graduation and the present. She eyed the picture of Miyagi, someone who looked like his older brother and his parents dressed formally for a family portrait. A memory of her family dressed in the same fashion flashed in her mind. She was so young then...

"Lost?" a voice asked.

She instantly looked behind her to find Mitsui standing with two drinks in his hand. "Would you like a drink? Don't worry, there's no alcohol in it."

"Yes, thank you." Taking the drink from him, her gaze returned to the Miyagi family portrait. "They look so happy in this picture."

"Yeah, they're a bunch of nice people. Even though Miyagi and I didn't really get along back then, we became good friends and his family was really nice to me, not to mention forgiving."

"Why, what did you do?" she asked.

Mitsui took a sip of his drink. "Well, remember when I told you I beat up somebody and sent him to the hospital?"

She nodded.

"Well, that was Miyagi."

A wave of shock crossed her delicate face as she looked at him with disbelief. "But... you two appear to be such good friends..." she spoke softly.

"Oh, now we're good friends. We even joke about what happened before like it was something stupid we did in grade school."

She heard him heave a sigh as he looked at the portrait again. "Miyagi just told me that his parents are out of town again and his brother's not back from America yet."

"Oh..." She still wasn't over the fact that the man standing next to her could beat someone to a bloody pulp to the point of hospitalization and yet still managed to end up being friends in the end. Mitsui could see her eyes in the frame's reflection and they've been gray since she stepped into the house.

"Hey, I'm not depressing you, am I?" he said as he nudged her elbow.

She shook her head gently. She was about to open her mouth to speak when suddenly a loud voice boomed from the living room.

"The Genius has arrived! This party can now officially start!"

Reiko peered over her stretch partner's shoulder and saw the same redhead from the restaurant, with a girl almost half his size standing beside him.

"That's Hanamichi and Haruko-chan, Akagi's little sister. Let me introduce you to them."

The music was pumping and voices chattered away in happy exchange. Miyagi was first to dance with Ayako, and pretty soon Sayuri and Miki strung Fuji and Miller along to dance. Seeing how awkward they were with the girls, Reiko let out a small giggle that made Mitsui smile.

"What is it?"

"Oh, nothing. It's just amusing how Sayuri-san and Miki-san are making the two guards dance. I've never seen them dance before," she said.

"That reminds me... how old are Fuji-san and Miller-san? They look young."

"I believe Fuji-san is 23, and Mr. Miller is 24."

"Really? They're practically our age. They don't mind you addressing them formally?"

"In the beginning they protested to it, but it was something I insisted on doing."

"And why is that?"

"I... don't know. I've always referred to their fathers that way, and I didn't plan on changing things." She swirled the drink in her glass and stared at it, making the shooting guard before her wonder why she was all of a sudden melancholy. He waited for her blue eyes to surface from their grey hiding place, and it didn't happen.

"What do you think of the people so far?" he asked.

Her smile was faint. "Miyagi-san and Ayako-san are really nice. Haruko-san is quite sweet and -"

"Quite the contrast when compared to Hanamichi, right?" he egged.

She giggled. "He's a very lively person, they suit each other well," Reiko replied.

They ended up hanging out in the dining room and watched the reactions of the guests to Hanamichi's silly antics. He wasn't much of a dancer, but he thought otherwise and strut his stuff anyway. Mitsui noticed his stretch partner's smile widen with each moment. He thought maybe this was a way for her to warm up to being around so many people. He noticed the older guards cast an occasional glance at them, the eye contact with Reiko was brief and acknowledging. He looked at Fuji and Miller who appeared to be captive audiences of Sayuri and Miki's stories, but they seemed to like it.

"Do you think those four will get together?" he asked quietly as he leaned towards her.

"Maybe," she whispered back with a delighted grin. She took a sip of her drink and cast a fleeting glance at Rukawa at the mini-bar. "Rukawa-san is awfully quiet at such a vigorous party."

"Huh? Oh, he's always been like that. But he's a good guy." Gulping a mouthful of his blue Hawaiian, he wanted to test Reiko's willingness to answer questions. "Um, Reiko-san, I'd like to ask some questions if that's all right."

She looked at him timidly and was met by Mitsui's assuring smile. "I won't ask any more if it bothers you." She agreed.

"You didn't get lost on the way here, did you?"

She shook her head. "We actually saw you walk through Miyagi-san's gate by the time we arrived. I just received a phone call that I had to take and I didn't know that it would take a while."

"Oh... I guess from your family?" // Please don't say it's from a boyfriend... //

She was silent for a moment. "It was my uncle. He just wanted to make sure I was well taken care of."

"Hm, nice uncle." Mitsui swirled the remaining contents of his drink. "I saw you earlier with the coach and Sato-sensei at courtside," he mentioned as casually as he could. "I'm not in any trouble, am I?"

The question caught Reiko off-guard. "What ever for?"

"I don't know... for stretching with you and your team instead of mine?" he suggested boyishly. She laughed.

"No, you're not in trouble at all. Sato-sensei wanted me to meet your coach."

"That's all?"

"That's all. They had a conversation between themselves, and I didn't pay attention to what they spoke of. Miwa-sensei seemed very pleased with you on the team."

"Yeah, that's what he told me. He's supposed to show up tonight, I guess it's past his bedtime already," he commented, glancing at the clock on the wall. "But it's only 8:30... oh, by the way, when is your first game scheduled?"

"I was told it was this coming Friday," she answered as she tapped to the beat of the music that boomed throughout the house. Looking at Mitsui, she asked, "Will there be a lot of people there, Mitsui-san?"

Mitsui leaned back in his seat thoughtfully. "Usually the first game isn't too crowded, but I'm not so sure about that. I only saw a few games before. I honestly don't know. But," he grinned, "the volleyball team is considered the `sweethearts club' by the male student population on campus, and a good number of guys usually come to the games to watch the girls play. They say they're the best-looking team around."

She smiled faintly at his words. "But you know what?" he continued, "I have a feeling the crowd turnout will be much bigger this time around because there's a new sweetheart on the team." He flashed her a warm grin.

Reiko's eyes widened at his remark and felt her cheeks flush in unspoken protest.

Miyagi appeared and walked towards the seated pair in the dining room with two frosted glasses of margaritas. "Since you two are the closest to the kitchen, you get to be the first to taste Jackson-san's frozen concoction." Handing the glasses to Mitsui, Miyagi narrowed his eyes at the shooting guard. "He's not giving you any trouble, is he, Reiko-san?"

Mitsui frowned at this shorter teammate. "You're the instigator of trouble these days, Ryochin," he uttered.

After a parry of playful accusations, Miyagi got dragged into the living room by Ayako to dance once more. "Help me..." he whimpered as he was flung into the dancing crowd. The two in the dining room laughed soundly at Miyagi's state of submission, the point guard feigning reluctance when in fact he enjoyed dancing with his brown-eyed girlfriend.

"I've noticed you're wearing the pendant I found," he stated softly.

She absentmindedly reached for the platinum oval dangling below the hollow of her neck. She gave Mitsui a smile. "Yes, and I can't thank you enough. My parents gave it to me when I was young. I still can't believe I was careless enough to lose it."

"Well, I think it's good that you lost it, otherwise I wouldn't be here talking to you."

She laughed, her eyes revealing their blue depths. Little by little, she found herself comfortable and light-hearted. "This is true." Reiko took a sip of the blended drink and licked her lips of the salt that coated the mouth of the glass.

"Good?" he inquired.

"Very," she said, wiping the corner of her mouth with a finger. Unintentionally, Reiko just quickened the shooting guard's pulse with such simple actions. Mitsui took a big gulp and tried not to stare at her succulent rosy lips. "I didn't know Mr. Jackson could make an ambrosial drink such as this, though I don't believe I'm allowed to even drink this."

"Why not?"

"I'm not 21 yet, the drinking age in America."

"Well, it's okay, you're in Japan now. When's your birthday, anyway?"

"Christmas Day."

"What? You're kidding."

She shook her head.

"Wow, do you ever feel bummed out for getting two-in-one presents?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand your question."

"You know, when people give you a present that's both a Christmas and a birthday present?"

Reiko shrugged. "I always received two when I was young."

Mitsui laughed. "You're lucky then. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone I saw you drinking," he said with a wink. "Hey, you wanna dance?"

Her brows raised at the question and looked at Hanamichi dancing. "I'm not sure... I'm afraid I've never done that type of dancing before."

" `That type'? Does that mean you know another type then?"

Reiko placed the pad of a finger against the cold condensation that formed on her glass. "My parents encouraged my older brother to learn ballroom dancing just like my sister. I became his default partner when my sister went to Rome for college."

// No doubt she's really affluent... // Nevertheless, she was telling him of things he didn't have to plumb out of her, and he smiled at her slow progression of openness.

"Show me," he said.

She blinked in surprise and gave him an inquiring glance.

"Ballroom dancing... please show me how to do it."

"But... we have no music," she replied faintly.

"That's okay, you can count off for me." He hoped that it didn't sound too much of an awkward request. She looked at their surroundings.

"We will need some room, Mitsui-san."

The shooting guard's eyes scanned the crowded house and spotted the sliding glass door that led to the backyard. "Will the backyard do?"

"Yes, that would be fine. Please give me a moment to tell the men where I'll be so they don't worry."

He nodded and watched her disappear into the kitchen. Mitsui stood and weaved through the dancing mass, shouting hellos above the booming music and nodding at Hanamichi's gundan. All were oblivious to the sliding door open and close, either they were too busy chatting or dancing to the beat of Yohei's house mix.

There was a slight chill outside, and the breeze spread the fragrant scent of Mrs. Miyagi's jasmine flowers. The moon was full and out, shining its faint rays that reflected off the dewdrops on the grass. His head whipped around to the sound of the sliding door open, expecting her to be followed by at least one of her men but finding her alone. Instead, Jackson's built form stood by the sliding door, waiting for the shooting guard to see him. He gave a nod and the guard turned around.

"What would you like to learn, Mitsui-san?" she asked, her voice like a song to his ears.

"The easiest one there is to learn. Go easy on me now," he jokingly pleaded.

"Shall we start?" Reiko asked and was answered with an eager nod.

"All right. The gentleman usually holds his hand out to the lady, like this," she said, extending her hand towards Mitsui. He smiled and copied her move and she clasped his hand in hers.

"Then the gentleman places a hand by the lady's waist, like this..." She closed the distance between them, took the shooting guard's unsure hand and guided it right above her hip. Mitsui had to concentrate on his breathing. She was very close...

"The beat is in three counts. The gentleman always leads, and the steps go like this..."

Her voice echoed a soft tone in his ears as he looked down at her feet and listened to her counts, feeling the warmth of her hand in his. He got it in the first attempt, and soon she stopped counting.

"Now keep your head up and look at me," she instructed.

His eyes immediately found limpid pools of blue that shone an ethereal glow under the moonlight, quite the contrast from the grey before. Mitsui's heart just about stopped and he unconsciously squeezed her hand, as if to reassure himself that he wasn't imagining her before him like in his dreams. Her head turned at the pressure against her hand, that familiar tingle spreading from the tips of her fingers and warming her insides.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled, letting the pressure off.

"It's quite all right," she assured him. "You're a very good dancer, Mitsui-san."

He smiled. "I've got a great partner."

They swayed and danced under the moonlight, Mitsui still hearing Reiko's quiet counts in his head, both figures silent in the stillness of the garden. He never thought he'd end up doing something like this tonight. Boldly he drew her closer after feeling her shiver from the chilly breeze that blew over them. A faint gasp escaped her lips.

"Would you like to end this lesson now?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper in her ear, his soft hold still moving her.

"It is getting a little cold, though you are rather warm," she said into his ear. "It's been a long time since I danced the waltz."

"Oh, is that what we're dancing?"

She quietly giggled. A few moments more and they stopped altogether, his eyes unabashedly glued to her, Reiko's cheeks blushing from the chill in the air and the weight of his stare.

"Reiko-san... I can't let tonight end without telling you something very important."

She was a little taken aback, the blood rushing to her face in anticipation of his words.

"I don't think I've met anybody in my life before who's made an impression as deep as you have..."

She blinked at him and his words. He was impressed? She only taught him how to dance the waltz...

"You're the most wonderful person I've ever had the chance of meeting... you've made an impact on everyone around you, especially me. You've accepted me despite of what I've been, and I'm very thankful and relieved for that. I'd like to know so much more about you... I'm afraid that what I've seen and experienced is only the surface. I... I hope that one day I can be someone you can open up to, just as I have in you, whenever you want to."

She found herself speechless. No one has ever told her such things before. The look on his face was sincere, and his words resonated through her mind. Before she could collect her thoughts to form a reply, the sliding door opened.

"Nakamichi-dono, your teammates would like for you to join them for a moment," said Jackson.

A wave of embarrassment washed over the shooting guard. He completely forgot that Jackson was just behind the sliding door. Yet, he was glad he finally got it off his chest, though he wanted to say so much more. There will be other times, he thought.

"Thanks for the lesson, Reiko-san. Let's go in before you freeze," the shooting guard said, the hand at her waist moving to the small of her back to lead her back to the party. Her face was still flushed, and she showed no signs of dismissal from her even though she didn't say a word. As they stepped into the midst of dancing bodies, the girls of the volleyball team happily tugged at Reiko and began to chatter gleefully. Over their shoulders she saw Mitsui standing beside Jackson, smiling at her. She smiled back. For now, this reply will do.