Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ The Girl That Time Loved ❯ Forgotten Promise ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eyes widening at his declaration, she felt a surge of heat rushing to her cheeks as she looked back down at their linked hands. Almost suddenly, she became aware of the minutest details of his touch: the gentle but firm grip he had on her hand; the irregular, elemental coarseness of his palm that handled a basketball thousands of times; the slightest tremble in his clutch that told her of an unspoken risk underlying his uttered confession. She felt the same electricity travel through her fingers, her arm and seconds later her whole being.

"Mitsui-san, I -"

The French doors opened and a chattering party of five walked through the entrance, making their heads turn at their laughter. They both faced and welcomed them, abruptly disrupting the atmosphere with a bow. As she stood up straight, Reiko noticed that the shooting guard's warm hand still clung to hers behind the reservation desk away from the discerning eyes of the guests before them. She quickly looked up at Mitsui whose chiseled features were stained with a furious blush, and she smiled coyly before turning back to the guests.

"Good evening. Watanabe Yasunori, party of five," the man before them said as he looked down at the appointment book.

With her free hand, Reiko coolly flipped open to the most recent page date and scanned the names, the link between her and her stretch partner securely remaining. "We are glad you could make it, sir. Please follow Mitsui-san to your table," she said, taking five menus and handing it to the shooting guard, encouraging him to let go with a light squeeze. Mitsui shot her an intense look before taking the menus and relinquishing the softness of her hand. He led the guests into the dining area, and as he walked away from the reservation desk, Reiko took a few seconds to orient herself with what just happened. Recalling the glance he gave her before leaving, she unconsciously leaned on the desk in thought.

His glance betrayed an air of longing.

She surfaced from her thoughts upon hearing Jackson call her name.

"Nakamichi-dono, your uncle is on the line," he said, holding the cell phone out to her. Thanking the guard, she took it and asked if he could stand in for her behind the reservation desk.

"Where will you take the call, Nakamichi-dono?" the brawny guard asked.

"May I go out to the deck?"

With a nod, he took the two-way radio from its belt clip and sent word to Sakai and Fuji to stand by.

"Thank you, Mr. Jackson."

Before she could walk away, Jackson stayed her with his large hand on her shoulder. "Are you all right?" he asked, his bass voice low and gentle.

Reiko replied with the faintest of smiles. "Yes, I'm quite all right. Thank you, Mr. Jackson." And with that she left, weaving through the busy traffic of waiters and tables of chattering guests.

After seating the guests, Mitsui headed for the men's room, splashing his face with cold tap water. // What just happened out there? // Taking a few moments to look at himself in the mirror, he watched as the water dripped from his face. // There's no turning back now. // He took one of the hand towels that lay in a stack by the cologne counter and wiped the water off his face, taking a deep breaths and letting them out slowly before tossing the towel into the linen bin.

"Oh... my.... God..."

This was all Ayako could utter as she and the point guard stared at the large yacht cruiser gently dipping up and down. Miyagi eyed the luxurious monstrosity, taking note of the bright lights that illuminated the cabin. Just below the side of the yacht were the words `Jolly Miss Molly' etched in an elegant cursive font. Ayako took a slender finger and pushed up against the point guard's gaping lower jaw.

"This way, please," said Miller as he led the pair up a smooth wooden ledge. Hand in hand, Miyagi led Ayako up the ledge, softly telling her to watch out for the step-off.

"Please make yourselves comfortable. There are refreshments waiting for you on the rear deck. We will be cruising the bay shortly."

Too appalled at the magnificence of the vessel, they mumbled their thanks and walked through the cabin area. Smiling at the retreating couple, Miller cranked the anchor up, climbed the stairs to the bridge and prepared the cruiser for a ride down Tokyo Bay.

Ayako clung to Miyagi's arm like she was in some strange wonderland; it seemed like every thing that surrounded them sparkled with opulence. The cruiser was big enough to have a dance floor and a full-service bar. On either side of the interior, a leather couch with plush pillows and a hand-carved mahogany coffee table furnished the living room. As they walked through, they finally spied the rear deck at the other end of the cruiser where a table stood with a bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice and two crystal champagne flutes. A tray of strawberries lay beside the bucket. Stepping onto the deck, Ayako walked to the edge of the vessel, holding onto the railing as she looked at the horizon where the water met the blackness of the starry sky. Never in a million years could she have imagined something like this for their anniversary. It was like a Cinderella story, and Reiko was her fairy godmother. Ayako was startled by a loud pop that made her turn around.

"Don't worry, it's only the cork," the point guard said, smiling as he poured the effervescent liquid into the glasses. Walking towards Miyagi, Ayako took the champagne glass he offered along with a strawberry. She took a bite and a sip, her eyes widening in delight.

"Ryota, this is so good!" she exclaimed, taking another bite and a longer sip of her champagne.

"I like the way it tickles the back of my mouth," remarked Miyagi after gulping down all the contents of his glass. Setting it down on the table, he watched his girlfriend place another strawberry between her red lips to take a bite, spurring him to pull at his collar to let the flash of heat that seared him escape the skin on his neck. Her attention drawn by the calm and breezy scenery, Ayako was absolutely gorgeous before his eyes, and she didn't notice that he was watching her with ardent eyes and the feral need to embrace and kiss her breathlessly. Not yet, he thought. She returned her gaze to him and both were surprised to hear music playing around them. They looked at the cabin and saw no one, and Miller was out of sight. Recognizing the beat and song, Miyagi slid his arm around Ayako's slim waist and pulled her closer to her, extending his arm to his side with his palm up.

"Dance with me?" he asked, his voice nearly a whisper.

A little startled at first, she relaxed into his hold and clasped her hand into his soft but firm grip, her other hand resting on his muscled shoulder. She smiled as he led her to dance, his steps sure and light as he kept up with the rhythm of the music.

"What are you grinning at?" he playfully asked in a low, almost purring voice, tickling her with the soft brush of his lips against her ear.

"Nothing... I guess those ballroom dancing classes really did pay off," she said as she winked impishly at him.

"Oh, they sure paid off in more ways than one," he chuckled, looking at the stars above them.

"Really... name one."

"Well..." he trailed off as he spun her around and away from him, only to pull her back and slip his arm around her waist. "While you were gone during the early part of practice a few days ago, Miwa-sensei had us do these footwork drills that were just like the steps we went over in dance class." The point guard beamed at the recollection. "He said he could tell that I had a girlfriend who likes to dance, and Mitchy and Gori couldn't believe I was moving like I was, only ten times faster, of course."

"And to think that you fought tooth and nail with me after finding out what I've done for us... aren't you going to thank your clever girlfriend for thinking ahead?"

"Maybe," he said indifferently, his wearing an expression of mock nonchalance. Miyagi caught her arching a brow at him.

"Certainly," he affirmed, momentarily stopping them both as he withdrew his arm from her waist and caressing her blushing cheek with the pad of his thumb. "I'd like to thank you now," he said, giving her no time to respond as he let himself drown in the intoxicating warmth of her lips.

"Hello, Uncle Tak. How are you this morning?"

A chuckle.

"It's still nighttime over there, Rei, but I'm doing fine. I called to tell you that the arrangements you requested for have been made."

"Thank you very much, Uncle Tak."

"Hey, anything for you."

Hesitation.

Detection.

"Something on your mind, Rei?"

"As a matter of fact, yes..."

Curiosity.

"Care to share with your funny uncle?"

A smile.

"You are indeed a funny uncle."

Pause.

"Uncle Tak, how should one react if someone -"

"Told you he loved you?"

Astonishment.

"How did you know what I was about to say?"

Sigh.

"My niece is a beautiful and bright young woman. I knew that somewhere along the line your stretch partner would tell you sooner or later. The guy would have to be blind and dumb not to tell you."

Uncertainty.

"I find myself not knowing what to do... I haven't learned anything about this... what do I do, Uncle Tak?"

"Well, what do you feel for him?"

"I - I don't know how to explain it..."

"Then do what you do best, Rei."

"And that is?"

"Finding out."

Silence.

"This isn't anything you can be prepared for by reading a book or listening to an instructor, Rei, and I'm sorry that I can't be there for you now. But this kind of thing you have to learn through experience alone and the only way to know is finding out. Do you understand?"

Reiko heard the sound of heels striking the wooden deck, prompting her to straighten up as she held the phone to her ear. She looked over her shoulder to see Mitsui talking to Sakai who stood by the door that led to the deck. Shortly after their conversation, Sakai went back inside the restaurant. Looking up at the starry horizon, she took a deep breath of apprehension, and her uncle instantly knew that the shooting guard was close by.

"Yes, Uncle Tak. I have to go now."

"All right then. Be good, okay?"

"I will."

"And Rei?"

"Yes?"

Pause.

"Your first guess is more often right than not. I'll call again soon."

Click.

Her eyes looking straight ahead at the full moon peeking over the horizon, Reiko slowly lowered the phone from her ear as the footsteps grew louder and louder. It stopped several feet away from her, making her turn around to see a look of uneasiness masking the shooting guard's handsome face. Averting his gaze to the side, Mitsui found himself speechless before her. He had crossed over the line between indecision and confession and there was no turning back. // So why the hell can't I say anything? // He continued to approach her until he stood merely inches away from her side, mimicking the direction of her gaze upon the waters of the lake.

Quiet.

Mitsui could hear himself breathe against the cool December breeze that blew past them, making his stretch partner's hair dance in the evening gentle wind. He didn't know his heart could beat so forcefully, so quickly, and he had to inhale deeply to make sure he wasn't in some kind of waking dream.

"Reiko-san, I'm sorry if I have been too direct... the last thing I want to do is scare you away."

He saw her nod slowly from the corner of his eye. "It's quite all right. You have not scared me away, Mitsui-san," she replied softly.

Another bout of silence crossed between them and the shooting guard felt a heavy weight crushing his chest. The silence was unnerving, and he was so vulnerable to what she could say. He knew the risk and he took it valiantly; all he could do now was brace himself for the worst. Reiko walked over to the balustrade that outlined the deck, leaning her elbows on it as she continued to watch the lake.

"I just spoke to my uncle a few moments ago. He just made me realize something..."

"And what's that?" he said, leaning on the balustrade beside her.

"That I am absolutely clueless to what's apparent before me." Reiko let a sigh escape her lips as she stood up straight. "Maybe this is why Nanami-san reacted so surprised when I told her that I have never dated anyone before. All I know about dating is that a man takes a woman out to dinner and has an amicable talk with each other, but I am beginning to realize that there is much more to it than that. It is no longer just a ritual that I have read about in literature."

The shooting guard remained silent as she tapped on the balustrade with a slender finger, waiting for her to continue. She sighed.

"I may be considered intelligent by many, but I have the knowledge of a newborn when it comes to relationships. I don't know what to do or say. I have mostly lived my life alone and detached from every one else... I've learned to expect nothing from others, and… I wonder if it has jaded me all these years... perhaps it's the one of the many faults that I have not been able to settle."

Mitsui blinked at the blue eyes that looked at him as she turned her head towards him. Their deep cerulean hue drew his concentration, his breath catching at the sincerity and susceptibility that showed through her innocent eyes.

"I have been taught almost every thing I know to this day, and I always had someone to turn to whenever I had a question to ask. I'm afraid that this privilege is no longer available for me.... What I wish to learn now is something I must teach myself... I need to know what it is that lies beyond the ties that bind you and me. I need to know what it feels like the way you do. I need to know why I get this warm and tingling sensation throughout me with the simple touch of your hand. I wish to know all these and much more, but I will require some time...."

Reiko turned her eyes back at the full moon's ascent over the heavens, and the shooting guard could sense that she was searching for answers inside her mind. The moonlight blanketed the features of her face and her statuesque profile looked like the perfect sculpture etched in his imagination.

"I admire your patience, Mitsui-san, and I am grateful that you pulled me from the isolated shell I've enclosed myself in. I would like you to honestly tell me why you have gone out of your way to do this for me."

Taking a deep breath, the shooting guard spoke. "I was fascinated by your eyes and the way you played volleyball the first time I saw you. This is an undeniable truth. When you spoke to me, I saw another person wanting to reach out from within you. And when I saw the happiness you felt in your blue eyes, I wanted to show you that there are a lot more reasons for you to be happy, other people who could make you happy. I never knew that being with you could make me feel the same, and the way you make me feel gives me a natural high.... I'm a hopeless addict." Mitsui stood and dug his hands in the pockets of his trousers. "In a way, I'm selfish."

Reiko tilted her head at him. "In what way?"

Closing his eyes for a momentary pause, he opened them as he replied. "Making you happy makes me feel like I'm on top of the world.... Whenever you smile for me, I feel like my blood rushes with euphoria and I want to make you even happier."

She smiled at the explanation as she unconsciously pulled at her jacket and crossed her arms. The temperature outside grew cooler by the minute, and the wind only made it colder.

"It doesn't sound like selfishness to me, Mitsui-san," she said, her voice hinting a tremble as she spoke his name.

Noticing her posture, he shrugged out of his dark dinner jacket and draped it around her shoulders. Eyes widening at the surprise, she thanked him and drew the jacket tighter around her. Another minute of silence passed between them before either of them uttered a word.

"I am fortunate to have met you, Mitsui-san. I would not have known the friends I have now if it wasn't for you."

"It's a small price to pay for the happiness you give me," he replied softly.

A pause.

"Mitsui-san?"

"Hm?"

"Would you treat me differently if you discovered something sad about me?"

His heart nervously skipped a beat. // Does she know I know about her? //

"Well, you've remained a friend to me after I told you of my past, and I don't see why I can't return the favor," he answered, careful not to voice any hint of knowing.

"That is comforting to know."

A burst of fireworks over the horizon suddenly caught their attention, red, yellow and blue metallic colors painted the night sky as the blooming flares burned. Mitsui heard his stretch partner gasp as she looked on in excitement.

"I hope Ayako-san and Miyagi-san like this," she said, the lively light of the fireworks dancing in her eyes.

"You mean the fireworks are for them?" the shooting guard asked, shocked at her statement.

With a nod, she replied, "I thought it would be a good idea."

Turning his attention back at the breathtaking pyrotechnic display, he grinned at the thought of Ayako and Miyagi engaged in a kiss under the moonlit sky. He can't recall how many times he'd dreamed of Reiko and he doing the same, but trust and uncertainty drove them both to hang in the balance, and he had a feeling that this night would bring the breaking point. He decided to raise the bar.

"Reiko-san, I understand that you need to know many things on your own, and that you will need some time to find your answers. I will give you all the space you need, and I will be here should you ever need me." He paused for a moment, putting his words and emotions to order.

"Please... let me be by your side, even if it's only for a short while... even if you discover that what you feel is nothing like what I feel for you, I don't care. Being with you has enriched me to the point where I don't need anything else. This is all I ask of you."

She gave him a momentary look, noticing that he had inched closer to her, his torso angled but not completely facing her. Having him near gave her a blanket of consolation, and though she was past all those horrid memories of her childhood encounters, she found solace in his presence, knowing somehow that with her stretch partner around, the memories she will have from here on out will be happier ones. As another gust of wind blew by, she realized that he was trying to block the chilly breeze from blowing against her.

"Cold?"

She nodded, trying to huddle herself inside his jacket.

"Thank you for understanding and being honest with me. You have been a very caring person to me, Mitsui-san. I gladly welcome you by my side."

He flashed a warm smile that encouraged her to continue.

"I have trusted you all this time, Mitsui-san. Thank you for guarding this trust.... and.... I was wondering," she said, pausing for a second to pull tighter on his jacket around her, "if I could ask a favor of you."

"Anything," he replied, gazing ardently at the warm blush on her cheeks, wondering if it was caused by the cold or the words she was about to say.

Reiko caught a stray lock of hair floating with the cold breeze and secured it back behind her ear. "Knowing that you are willing to let me be makes me appreciate your understanding. I know not what I will feel, nor am I aware of what to expect or where to start. I.... I need direction.... a guide to chart my course and find my answers.... and I was wondering...."

"I can show you the way," he interrupted, her eyes widening at his words.

She suddenly smiled; she was beginning to feel like she was talking to mind readers, the shooting guard and her uncle both.

"What's so funny?" he asked, a smile creeping across his lips.

"You must be some sort of clairvoyant to know my words before they leave my lips," she said, making Mitsui laugh with her. When the laughter subsided, she continued. "You are too kind to me, Mitsui-san."

Then, after another pause, "Will you go away if I find that I do not feel the same way for you?"

A sudden pang ripped through him. It was very possible that he could get his feelings hurt; he hoped for the best outcome of it all, and even if she did not return his feelings now, she consented to having him close to her. This was enough to sate his longing for now. "I would be lying if I said it wouldn't affect me, but I will always be here for you regardless of your decision."

Finding solace in his words, she drew a deep breath. "Is that a promise?" she whispered with childlike innocence.

"Yes, it's a promise," he replied, his little finger held out for her to wrap her slender pinky around his in agreement, the shooting guard growing accustomed to this method of sealing the small pacts between them. She smiled, twining her slender little finger around his, her eyes glinting a brighter shade of blue in their depths. He could do nothing but dissolve in the warmth of her smile. He disregarded the odds of being hurt, for he figured that if he was allowed to be with her, either as a friend or something more, then all else matters little to him. He knew he would end up loving her still even if she did not return his feelings; he was lucky enough to gain her trust. He was satisfied to walk the face of this earth knowing that he will always be someone she can rely, someone she gladly welcomed to be with her than to go through life not being there for her.

// What a sad existence that would be... //

He saw her shiver at the gust of wind that blew past them. "Perhaps we should go back inside, Reiko-san. Jackson-san and the others might get angry if I let you turn into a popsicle out here."

Mitsui ushered her back inside the restaurant, his hand gently pressing against the small of her back. Coming into their view, the bodyguards who sat by the table nearest the door to the deck stood in acknowledgement, noting the jacket around her and the unfamiliar shade of blue that shone in her eyes. The three looked at each other in awe; they had never seen it in that profoundly azure hue before. The old proprietor of the restaurant beamed at the sight of Reiko, and she offered to play a few tunes for her and her companions' meal. Laughing at the proposal, Yoshi agreed. The number of guests have dwindled somewhat; it was getting closer to closing time. An hour and a half later, cups of coffee have been consumed, used plates were carted off, and the last notes of a song had been played. Bowing politely at the old man, Reiko gave her thanks and promised to come back to play the piano for him. Taking their leave, she and the guards along with Mitsui left the restaurant, the stretch partners sitting together in comfortable silence in the back seat of the Suburban, leaving the rest of the guards to ponder on what was spoken between the two.

"Hold your position down the line, Miki-chan!"

With Reiko's bodyguards hitting volleyballs at them with all their might, Coach Sato drilled the girls mercilessly that afternoon. He used his team's disadvantage against the men's size and strength, knowing that this was the only way to refine their reaction to hard hits. By giving them a much harder team to play against, he predicted his team's defensive skills to improve. He grit his teeth at the fact that today's practice would be too harsh on the girls, but he knew they had the discipline to understand that winning the championship required giving more than their best. He could see it in their attitude and their eyes. After a straight hour of defense drills, he called for a five-minute water break. The whole team nearly gasped for air at this point, some of them nearing collapse as they dragged themselves to the benches.

Looking over the bench facing the opposite court, Reiko found the guards sweating from the drill as well. With only a few days left before the finals, every one seemed to be on tenterhooks on the court. She took in water in big gulps, thankful for the short break they were given. Her other teammates slowly clustered around her on the bench, their faces wearing a tired, almost blank stare.

"Oh God, I think I'm going to turn into putty," mumbled a weary Miki who plopped down onto the bench beside Sayuri.

"Good, maybe Miller-san will save you when you pass out," said Sayuri, her comment garnering a few tired giggles from her teammates.

Miki was still able to smile dreamily. "Wouldn't that be nice… I almost want to tell Sato-sensei to work us breathless."

"You don't think he's doing that now?" interjected Yuki who was sprawled out on the floor. Nanami laughed at her grievance as she took another sip of water from her water bottle.

"Hey guys, think about it this way. In a few days, we will be playing against the number one ranked team in the nation. I don't know about you, but I think it's awesome that we've even gotten this far. Our school has never won anything past regional finals in volleyball, and we're going to be the first ones to vie for a national title. Now, I don't care if goofy Sato-sensei works me to the bone, `cause if it gets us that huge trophy and that title flag to hang over our head, it'll be worth every drop of sweat."

The whole team agreed in unison, the tired look on their faces replaced with determination.

"And if you consider the fact that an unranked team like ours kicked everyone else's tail to get to the finals, we're just as good if not better than the top-ranked teams out there."

The ladies grinned at the setter's logic.

"Remember how hard it was to get us here in the first place, ladies. All this hard work will be for nothing if we practice with less than our best. The fatigue you feel in your muscles now is temporary. This is what will really win it for us," Nanami said as she pointed to her heart. "So do you have the hunger to win the championship?"

"Yeah!" the team yelled in unison.

"Are we going to kick butt?"

"Hell yeah!"

"Then let's get it on!"

Coach Sato grinned, watching as the whole team raised their water bottles and shouted in excitement. He was lucky to have Nanami as the captain of the team. As they took their last sips of water before returning to the court, Reiko stood impressed at the setter's charisma. Positive people like her come far and few in between in this world, she thought. Pumped with enthusiasm, the players huddled in the middle for another affirming cheer, and as they took their positions, Reiko laughed at her teammates as they blew kisses at their coach.

Rolling his eyes at them, Coach Sato was secretly touched by their determination, and he grinned at their liveliness. He ordered the setters to switch positions and got a few silly giggles from the girls, whispering jokes to each other no doubt. As the bodyguards pounded volleyballs at them once again, he wondered if this was what it was like to be the father of several daughters. He sighed and thought of his wife.

In the main gym, Coach Miwa and his team were also preparing for their final game against the number one ranked Sendai Tigers. He worked on the team's offense, and the men enjoyed the passing the ball high for their teammates to dunk the ball in for two. The coach knew that he had been relentless with them for the past week, running them ragged with horses and drilling them in defense. He wanted them to have fun today to take some of the pressure he saw the men subjected themselves into. Glancing down at his clipboard, he reviewed the starting roster. In a few days, they will all see if what they have worked for all season long will come to fruition.

Dismissed from practice after several hours, the three former Shohoku players ambled to the locker room, shedding their dripping wet practice jerseys and hitting the showers. Each in their shower stall, the three quietly stood under the pelting water.

"You've been awfully happy lately, Miyagi," said Akagi, his deep voice resonating through the shower room. He was answered by a hearty chuckle. "So, how did your anniversary with Ayako-chan go? You never did tell us."

"Why don't you ask Mitchy over here? He was part of the whole scheme."

"What scheme? Mitsui, did you screw it up for him?"

Both point and shooting guards laughed at Akagi. "No, no… I just helped Reiko-san with getting them together, that's all. Tell him, Miyagi."

The point guard heaved a sigh. "Man, it was like I was dreaming the whole time… I don't even know how to describe that night."

Oohs and aahs boomed from teammates' throats.

"Look, you don't have to tell us the details, just give us the big picture."

"Okay, okay… well, first of all, Reiko-san and Mitsui-san tricked us into going to this really high-class clothing store. The manager of the joint then dragged me into a dressing room, practically ripped the clothes off my back, and began speaking to me and his assistant in a foreign language. Man, I was about to yell rape."

Mitsui and Akagi snickered at the point guard who was grateful for the shower curtains that kept his reddened face out of sight.

"About an hour later, they made me stand in front of this full-length mirror, and I was surprised that I looked pretty good."

"Sure you did, Miyagi," grunted Akagi.

"But I really did!"

"Akagi, keep it up and you'll never hear the end of it."

Another groan from Akagi and Miyagi continued.

"Anyway, a few moments after that, Aya-chan walks out of her dressing room."

The center and shooting guard strained to listen above the droning stream of water from the showerheads. Silence.

"Miyagi, you still alive?"

"Huh? Oh yeah…"

"What the hell happened to you?"

"Nothing, nothing… it's just…man, I'm really lucky I've got a gorgeous girlfriend…. She was like royalty in that dress…"

"Oh boy, I'm out of here," Mitsui said, turning off the water, wrapping his towel around his waist before leaving his shower stall in laughter.

After getting dressed, Mitsui stepped out of the locker room to be greeted by the basketball team's manager. He could tell by the glow on Ayako's face that she and Miyagi had renewed something between them since the night of their anniversary, and thinking back to the point guard's quiet and dazed stares, he concluded that the two went together like a wink and a smile. Akagi caught up to the shooting guard and the two said goodbye to Miyagi and Ayako whose hands intertwined as they walked out of the gym. Mitsui saw the center grin as they headed for the annex gym.

"They really do look good together, don't they," mumbled Akagi, his deep voice hinting an unspoken envy.

"Yeah, and I bet you and Nanami-chan would, too."

The large center whipped his head at Mitsui. "What?"

He grinned. "I know you like her, Gori. Why not just admit it?"

Wide-eyed, Akagi looked ahead in search for an answer, his flushed cheeks betraying him.

"What's this? Gori, are you blushing?" teased the shooting guard.

"Shut up, Mitsui," growled Akagi. "Did you do the same with Reiko-san?"

"As a matter of fact, yes, I did."

The center halted. "Really? Good for you! So are you two official now?"

With a sad smile, Mitsui replied, "I guess you could say that we're in the exploratory stage right now. I've told her how I feel… but she's unsure of what she feels."

"And you're okay with that?"

"I'm okay if I can be with her. I just want to be there for her, even if she finds out she doesn't love me."

Akagi admired the simplicity to his friend's thinking. Most men would adamantly have it all or nothing at all, but the shooting guard's voice hinted no trace of disappointment. The route Mitsui chose to take was a passive and patient one, and it showed the far extent of his love for his stretch partner.

"You're a good sport, Mitsui.... I hope you get the happy ending you deserve."

Deep inside, Mitsui prayed in his heart for the same wish to be granted, though at times a quiet but shrill little voice in his head asked the same gnawing question. // Am I somebody who really deserves her? //

The two teammates and Reiko had promised to meet after practice earlier during the day after working on their final exam packet at the bakery. They only had several more pages to go before completing their packets, and Akagi had begged her if he could check his answers with her before looking over his organic chemistry lessons. She kindly agreed, and so now both he and Mitsui found themselves walking toward Reiko's guards who waited by the benches with Coach Sato.

"Ah, here come two of the school's finest basketball players," greeted the volleyball coach as he shook each player's hand. They both returned the greeting, acknowledging the guards with respectful nods.

"I hope you guys win this weekend, Mitsui-san. I have a lot riding on the finals," smirked Miller.

"How much is a lot?" asked the shooting guard.

"A million yen," answered Fuji.

Both teammates looked at each other in shock.

"Don't worry, Fuji bet twice as much as I did," Miller said with a laugh.

The door to the locker room swung open and Reiko and Nanami emerged with their gym bags slung on their shoulders, both occupied in conversation. They ceased to talk as they approached the men waiting for them.

"Hello, Mitsui-san, Akagi-san," Reiko greeted. "Were you waiting long?"

They shook their heads. "No, we just got here."

The setter's cell phone rang and she excused herself to answer it, stepping away from the group.

"Akagi-san, I would like to help Nanami-san with her lessons as well. Would you mind if she joined us?"

// How lucky can Gori get? // Mitsui thought as he grinned from ear to ear at his blushing teammate.

"I - I don't mind…"

"So, where would you guys like to study?" asked Mitsui.

Nanami walked to Reiko's side. "That was my Aunt Ayumi. She was wondering if I had any hungry teammates to follow me home, she made too servings of gyoza and katsudon." Laughing, she said, "So are you guys hungry?"

"Akagi is," piped Mitsui, his eyes glinting mischief. He turned to his teammate who glared dangerously at him.

"Would it be all right then if we studied at your house, Nanami-san?" Reiko asked, noticing the smile his stretch partner shot her.

The setter nodded as she glanced down at the wooden floor, trying not to make her reddening face less obvious. Reiko shot an inquiring look at Jackson who acquiesced with a small grin.

At the Ueno household, the four guards found themselves helping Nanami's aunt Ayumi in setting the dining table, and they helped carry plates, glasses and utensils from the kitchen into the dining room. They found out that she ran a catering business, and the business luncheon she catered for that day had a fewer number of guests than expected.

"I really appreciate your help, Jackson-san," Ayumi said as she took out a tea tray.

"Oh, please don't mention it, Ayumi-san. We are actually the ones imposing, and we thank you for having us," the guard's bass voice said. He watched her peek into the living room, the four friends all huddled around the coffee table.

"I'm so glad Reiko-chan is helping Nanami-chan out. She seems less stressed out with her studies these days," whispered Ayumi.

Jackson turned his gaze to the direction of the living room. Reiko was at one end of the coffee table, the eraser end of the pencil in her hand tapping soundlessly against the paper. He smiled at the fact that she goes out of her way to help those around her, and if she had been given the same chance when she was younger, she would have done the same thing. His smile slowly dissolved at the recollection of her past.

"Jackson-san, are you all right?" Ayumi quietly asked.

Hurled back to the present, he straightened up and nodded. "Yes, I'm fine... let me help you with that tray, Ayumi-san..."

In silent apprehension, Nanami, Mitsui and Akagi watched as Reiko looked over their homework. She occasionally stopped to add a pair of parentheses here, a plus sign there. She pointed out the mistakes and explained her corrections, writing down an equation similar to the one they missed and making them work it over. After perusing several more pages, she collected the papers together and placed them in a neat stack on the coffee table.

"You all did so well on your homework. I believe you won't need my help anymore," Reiko said with a smile.

"What are you talking about? You're my lucky charm!" sang her teammate, reaching for her hand and shaking it happily.

"Thank you so much, Reiko-san. You've just saved my GPA," said Akagi as he packed up his books. "I'll be so relieved after I turn that packet in tomorrow."

"Me, too," voiced Mitsui, catching his stretch partner's attention and forming a silent `thank you' with his lips. She grinned.

"Hey guys, brain food in the dining room!" called Ayumi from the kitchen.

Friday came and the lecture hall was filled with students, some standing around chatting, others going down the aisle to the front and placing their final exam packets on a large stack by the podium. Mitsui and Akagi looked both ways down the hall, looking for their blue-eyed tutor. They could hear some of the eager comments about her solving the equations that the professor had posted on the board.

Mitsui grinned in thought. // They have so much faith in her... //

The two teammates turned their heads at the sound of heels striking the marble floor. Seeing Reiko's slender form past Jackson and Sakai's broad shoulders, they greeted and walked with them into the lecture hall. The buzz from the students grew to a noisy chatter as they took their seats, the bodyguards taking their positions at the end of the row and at the exits. A few moments later, the professor entered the lecture room followed by several men in suits. Jackson threw a look at Miller sitting at the other end of Reiko's row, and the younger guard felt the cautious scrutiny in his stare as the reedy professor and his entourage walked in.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I can see that most of you have stacked your final exam packets here," the professor said as he pushed his thick glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Those of you who haven't turned them in may do so at this time."

Reiko and the two basketball players got up from their seats and descended down the aisle to the podium, their other classmates doing the same. As they stood in line to turn in their packets, she happened to notice the apprehension that Jackson wore on his face. Tilting her head slightly to the side, she was answered by a series of hand gestures from the brawny guard, imparting an unspoken caution with the furrowing of his brows. She acknowledged with a nod, reassuring him with a smile. After witnessing the silent communiqué, Mitsui leaned into her ear and whispered.

"Is everything okay, Reiko-san?" he asked.

"I believe so," she replied in a whisper. "And I think you'll feel better after turning these packets in."

Grinning in agreement, they finally got their turn and placed their final exam packets in the stack. Before she could walk away, the professor's nasal voice called out to her.

"Nakamichi-san, am I right?"

Slightly surprised, she smiled at him with bluish gray eyes as she nodded.

"Have you given the equations on the board any thought?" his shrilly voice asked.

Turning her gaze to the chalk marks strewn across the blackboard, she felt an odd familiarity with the order of the equations, the numbers in the equation forming a cascade of numbers flashing in her mind.

"Then again, I must be mistaken," the professor continued, crossing his arms in mockery. The shooting guard was about to place a hand on his stretch partner's shoulder when their instructor spoke once more. "After all, no man can really solve this problem, let alone a woman."

Eyes narrowing at the professor, Mitsui felt his teeth clench and the hands by his sides ball up to form tight and ready fists. Akagi noted his reaction and grabbed hold of his teammate's arm. Before the shooting guard could shrug him away in protest, Reiko turned from the professor and walked to the board. Seeming oblivious to the debasing comment, she silently took a piece of chalk, raised her arm up against the board and began writing. The students in their seats expressed their shock at the professor's crudity in disapproving mumbles and whispers, and soon all eyes were upon their beautiful classmate, the expression on her face calm and collected. Upon seeing this, Mitsui willed himself to calm down, although he wouldn't have hesitated to pummel his four-eyed professor to the ground were it not for his stretch partner's tolerant reaction.

Reiko could see nothing but numbers float across her mind's eye, each written answer bringing her closer to a memory long buried in the recesses of her consciousness. Not the sneering professor, not the students who sat in their seats mumbling their hopes of getting an A, nothing could distract her from writing. She was in her own world now. She had seen this problem before and in her heart she knew how to solve it, the succession of numbers appearing lucidly in her head. Inside her was a troubling need to remember… Why was it so important for her to recall? She hoped that solving the problem would answer her question. After filling two blackboards with answers, she ran out of chalk. She spied a box of it on the chalk holder of the board adjacent to her and she quietly walked over to it, opened the box and took a chalk piece out. Picking up where she left off, Reiko began to write once more, her classmates observing in silent awe as she wrote line after line of effortless calculations. Off to the side, the men who followed the scrawny professor into the lecture hall frantically wrote down the answers Reiko listed on the board, their pencils scribbling hastily across their clipboards.

Letting himself be pulled by Akagi to the side, Mitsui watched as she momentarily stopped to clutch and rotate her right shoulder. Looking at her other hand, she placed the chalk between her fingers and continued to write with her left hand.

"Hey, I didn't know she was ambidextrous," mumbled Akagi.

The shooting guard recalled the first day he saw her in the annex gym and vividly remembered Coach Sato's surprise when he found out she could hit with her left arm as well. He knew that the intelligence and talent she possessed was beyond anyone's expectations; watching her as he stood, he quietly admitted that she was beyond amazing, and knowing this fact stoked his anger once more at their arrogant professor who smiled sardonically at the answers on the board. The impact of the chalk against the board echoed throughout the lecture hall, it was so quiet; the entire class seemed to hold their breath as Reiko moved onto the last clean blackboard.

She switched hands again, and as she raised her right hand to begin on the last part of the problem, an image of her last childhood instructor flashed before her eyes, her hand gradually lowering to her side with the chalk still in her hand. Her eyes widened at the memory, as if the wind was knocked out of her; in her ears echoed the old instructor's soft-spoken admonishment he gave her so many years ago. Slowly stepping back, she gazed in horror at her handiwork, the chalk in her hand falling to the floor as panic swept over her with a viselike grip. In a blink of an eye, Mitsui was by her side.

His low and soft voice called out to her. "Reiko-san?"

She let her gaze fall to the floor for a moment before turning to the shooting guard, startling him with wraithlike gray eyes that looked as if he was staring into two clear orbs of crystal, their cold and pallid shade resembling a precious diamond, clear and lifeless.

"Mitsui-san…" she mumbled, her voice a wavering whisper, "please help me erase what I've written."

Without hesitation, he did just as she had asked, grabbing the eraser and effacing the neatly written answers from everyone's view.

"Hurry," she whispered once more, part in plea and full of urgency. The suited men by the professor gasped in protest as Reiko and Mitsui erased all the boards clean.

"What are you doing?! Finish the problem!" the professor shrieked as he pointed at the board.

Setting the eraser down, Reiko clapped the chalk dust off her hands, her face blank at the instructor's demand.

"It seems that you are right, sir. No man can solve this problem." She turned to her puzzled classmates and bowed before them. "Please accept my apology. I am afraid I am unable to provide you the grade you desire."

"Why are you blowing this chance to give the whole class a perfect grade in this course?" he snapped as he took a step forward.

Mitsui could no longer hold his anger back. "What's it to you, anyway? Why does it matter? You never wanted any of us to pass your class in the first place!" he snapped.

Shouts of agreement roared throughout the lecture hall.

The professor grunted. "Stay out of this, jock."

The whole class booed at their instructor, some throwing balls of paper at the reedy man's direction. Jackson and Miller descended the aisle and escorted Reiko out of the lecture hall, the older guard mumbling words of inquiry and comfort, shooting daggers at the professor as he took one last glance over his shoulder. Oblivious to this scene, Mitsui's fists clenched once more as he yelled at the pouting professor.

"You egotistic asshole! Who died and gave you the right to belittle us?!" Walking over to scrawny man, he calmed himself before he spoke. "You know what? I bet you can't even solve that problem on the board… you're not any better than the rest of us. It's so fucking obvious that you've got an inferiority complex, and it just kills you to be bested by someone much younger and smarter than you, doesn't it? And would you fancy that, by a woman no less! So get off your high horse and shut the hell up before this whole class turns into a raging mob."

Turning around, he exited the lecture hall and his classmates paid him a standing ovation, his teammate trailing right behind him.

Stepping into the hallway, the shooting guard and Akagi found all four guards clustered around Reiko, the volleyball player upset at the recent occurrence. Mitsui wanted to approach and talk to her, but it seemed that she had more than enough people to comfort her. The guards' faces wore a look of worry as they looked back at her, disappointed at the extinguished blue light that shone from her eyes. Jackson stuck his head up from the huddle and motioned Mitsui to walk over.

"Mitsui-san, I have a favor to ask," the burly guard said, his hand resting .

"Is she all right?" he asked, craning his neck over to get another glimpse of his stretch partner.

"The day has been disrupted, and we believe that it's best for her to go home and let things settle. She's strong, I think she'll be fine. Please tell Sato-sensei that she and the rest of us won't be joining the team for practice this afternoon."

"That professor's the lowest piece of shit, I swear," growled Mitsui in a low, feral tone. Pausing to control his anger, he continued. "Will it be all right if I see her later?" the shooting guard inquired, almost pleading.

Casting a glance at her, he heaved a quiet sigh. "Maybe it's better if you called her first."

Nodding at the suggestion, he looked back at her stretch partner whose gaze fell on the marble floor. With Sakai's hand on her shoulder, they led her through the hallway. As they retreated, Reiko turned to look back and saw the concern on her stretch partner's visage, her brow furrowing in silent apology. Her lips moved to form muted words for Mitsui to read.

"I'm sorry…"