Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ War of Survival ❯ Beginings ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors notes: Hi, this is one of my first fanfics so please bear with me. This is a what-if story of what if Lina hadn't attacked the Dragon Fangs. Please R&R I have no self-esteem. I would really appreciate constructive critism but please no flames.

Disclaimer: I wish I owned them, but I don't

. Beginnings

A single candle on a desk provided the only light in the small room. The bed was unmade, the sheets moth-eaten. An empty bookshelf lay across the room from the bed; it's contents strewn about the room. The books were thrown about the room pages ripped out and scattered everywhere.

A lone man sat at the desk. In front of him was an open book. He read intently getting madder and more frustrated by the second. His ran his hand through his hair then ripped out a chunk with a frustrated scream. He ripped out pages and threw Recent History: The War across the room.

Shaking hands groped at the desk surface until they found the parchment and ink they were looking for. Stone fingers grabbed the pen on the desk and dunked it into the ink, the amount of force caused half of the contents to spill out.

"Breath," he told himself. He added with a slight smirk "What ever happened to the calm you were so well known for."

He took a few deep breaths. Once he had calmed down slightly he again took the pen and started to write.

"I'm writing this because somebody has to. It's only been 30 years since the war and already the story is being falsified. People who did nothing are being credited and those that did everything are being blamed. Whoever is writes the history books decide who was right and who was wrong. And currently the one writing them is a self righteous bitch who cares nothing for…"

His hand started to shake again. He took another breaths to steady himself, then crossed out his last sentence.

"Many choose to see the one who saved us all as evil. People treat her like The Traitor, no one will say her name, or they've already forgotten it. I won't forget it. I can't forget it. I'm writing this to set the history books straight. There will be those that see me as a fraud. I say go ahead. I was there; I know what happened better than the "historians".

"The war all of it started with a man named Rezo. Rezo… I hate him. I hate him. I hate him! I HATE HIM!"

The pen broke in half as it was squeezed to tightly. The writer calmed himself again and got a new pen.

"I can't forgive him for what he did. Not just to me, though that would be enough, but for the people he killed, the lives destroyed by is insane selfishness. As many already now Rezo was born blind, for a reason as it turned out. No matter how strong he got he couldn't cure himself. This lead to insanity. In his madness he offered me strength and turned me into a stone chimera. ME, his own grandson! Under his spell I was forced to serve him. He sent me after the philosopher stone. Unlike the other berserkers he created I could still think and all I thought about was revenge.

"I sent my servant Zolf to find the stone while I plotted. Zolf found the stone among a group of bandits called the Dragon Fangs. He stole the stone and gave it to me. I went to Rezo with the intent of killing him, but I underestimated the power of his spell over me. With an incantation was handing him the philosopher stone. He ingested it and the Dark Lord was reborn. And the war for survival began.

" History books got the next part right so I'll just give an overview. The five dark lords stopped arguing and attacked. Countries fell over night. Humans begged the Ryuzoku to do something. After one of their temples fell they finally did. They mounted a counterattack of humans and dragons. Many tried desperately to awaken Cepheid but they failed. The Mazoku got bored of just killing and decided to start playing. That's when the real fun started.

"A black magic sorcerer betrayed. I don't know his name. I have only heard him revered to as The Traitor. The Mazoku offered him power if he took care of the humans for them so they wouldn't have to deal with the annoyances. The Traitor accepted all to quickly. He destroyed Sairaag. Tortured everyone especially the priestesses. He loved to hear them scream. He was stopped by a sword through the chest, being held by a shrine maiden who had just watched her father killed. The same shrine maiden who made my life hell for a while.

"After his death no one trusted black mages anymore. They were considered to all be in league with the Mazoku since that's where their magic originated. The mistrust led to fear, fear led to hatred and hatred led to the slaughter or `purification' as history books call it. Mobs overtook the sorcerer's guild, found the list of all those who practiced black magic and began the extermination.

"In their frenzy they even killed a Knight of Cepheid as she was rumored to be friends with a dark lord. The mobs crossed out all the names on the list except for one `Lina Inverse the pink' after being unable to find her they turned on Shamans. They were soon stopped when someone realized that they were going to need some humans who could do magic besides healing before the war was through.

"The war continued on, the Ryuzoku had slowed the Mazoku down but didn't stop them. So many people were killed by the war and `the purification'. The few remaining humans lived huddled together in forts. There was very little communitication between the forts, and almost all the messages were about what had just fallen. The fort I was in stood near where Sairaag once was. As much as I hated it there I realize I probably would have been killed on sight anywhere else, and if I wasn't there I wouldn't have been able to be a part of history"

-Comments? Like it? Hate it? Think it's okay? Please tell me. Next Chapter will be posted whenever school gives me enough time.