Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ What's a chimera to do? ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
Hurrah! My first fanfic ever!! Another product of too much caffeine, and no sleep ^_^;
It is complete, but I am still editing a few parts, so I won't be posting it all at once…
[I know you've heard it before, but if you like this fic at all, or have any comments….. please, please, take two seconds and write a quick lil' review and let me know! <<You're right, I'm begging!>> Pitiful, huh? *grin*]
***None of these characters are mine, yadda yadda, don't sue!***
Now, on to the fic…
note: {{thoughts}}
Chapter 1:
Xellos sighed. It looked like today was going to be as uneventful as the last few weeks had been. He'd been ordered to stay close to Lina-tachi and await further orders, but the wait was becoming difficult. There was simply nothing he could think of to do. Well, there were a few things… He smiled sadistically… but they might interfere with the Beastmaster's plans. The smile left his face briefly. He was one of her most favored servants, which is why he knew better than most exactly what happened when you pissed her off…
Xellos looked down at the group from his perch in a nearby tree. They had stopped to make camp over an hour ago in a small grassy clearing. Lina and Gourry were still arguing about the best way to cook the fish they `caught'. Actually, Lina blasted them out of the lake. Zelgadis was off by himself somewhere, and Amelia seemed to be looking for him.
"Lina-san, Gourry-san, I'm going to go down to the lake-" she said.
"Good luck finding it," Gourry said laughing, "I think Lina might have destroyed it when she went `fishing'!"
"Oh yeah?! Who said 'fishing is boring. Oh Lina, please use your magic to get us some fish before I die of hunger'?!," Lina retorted.
Gourry looked at her blankly, "Gee Lina, I don't know. When did somebody say that?"
"Aaarrraaahhgh!!" Lina shrieked. "Can't you remember anything, baka?!??"
Amelia snuck away before she got drug into another argument. {{Sometimes I wonder if he's doing that on purpose…}}
~~~o~O~o~~~
Amelia walked along the edge of what was left of the lake. Xellos followed her, unnoticed. {{Where did Zelgadis-san go? He's always going off by himself like this. She thought worriedly. Maybe he is feeling sad, and doesn't think anybody would notice if he left… Maybe he wants someone to find him and keep him company! Yes, that has to be- oh! there he is!}}
Zelgadis was sitting on a fallen log under a stand of trees, lost in thought. Xellos found a comfy perch in one of the trees where he could see what was going on., without being seen. Amelia sat down by Zelgadis, who looked as if he'd rather be alone. She seemed oblivious to that, and the fact that he was starting to notice how she kept giving him sidelong glances as she sat quietly next to him. He didn't appear to be thrilled about it. On the other hand, he was also beginning to act uneasy.
{{What's this? Xellos perked up a bit. Zel seemed to be having conflicting emotions. Well now, this might get interesting…}}
Zelgaddis shifted uncomfortably where he sat. {{She's looking at me again… she thinks I haven't noticed it, but she does this so much lately that it would be hard not to see it. I'm never really alone anymore… she's always there at my side, whether I want her there or not.}}
Zelgadis glanced over at Amelia. {{She was kind of hard to get used to at first. Her obsession with justice seemed more like a mental problem then a burning desire to make everything right in the world. She was still young though, and hadn't been exposed to some of the horrors the world had to offer. He had to admire her spirit though, as tiring as it was to watch, and as embarrassing as it was to listen to her justice speeches.}} Zelgadis returned his gaze to the sky, watching the colors change as evening approached.
"Ano, Zelgadis-san?"
"Yes Amelia, what is it?," the chimera said tiredly.
"Well, you're just being so quiet-"
"I'm always quiet," he interjected.
"Well, yes, that's true." She hesitated, "but you seem to have something on your mind, and I was wondering what you're thinking about."
"Why?," he asked.
"Well, I'm your friend. If something is bothering you, I want to help."
"That isn't necessary," he said flatly.
"Well, I- uh " she started, then stopped. "nevermind."
She ended the conversation abruptly, yet she seemed on edge. She tapped her foot lightly, and played with a piece of grass she'd plucked from the ground. Her fidgeting was starting to bug him.
"Amelia, what is it? Did you have something else to say?" He could barely see her slow nod. "Amelia-"
She looked up when he said her name again. He was facing her, giving her a questioning look. He looked so beautiful to her. Sure, he looked kind of scary at first, but that's just because he looks different from everyone else. If you looked closer, you would see that his pale blue skin was smooth and firm, like he was made of marble. His eyes were an intense, deep blue, and his hair looked almost lavender in the fading light.
She realized she was staring at him, but it didn't matter now- she was going to tell him anyway.
"Zelgaddis-san, I've wanted to tell you something for a while now…." Amelia paused again and tore the pieces of grass she was holding into little bits.
Zelgaddis was beginning to worry about what she was trying to say. She wasn't looking at him, yet whatever she was going to say seemed to have something to do with him. He waited, bracing himself for whatever it was she was trying to say.
"I- ," she began. She seemed to have trouble forming the words. "I- I love you Zelgaddis-san!," she blurted out.
He wasn't prepared for that one, and fell backwards off the log he'd been sitting on. Xellos snickered softly from his hiding place.
{{She what?!?! She loves me? But-}}
"Oh, Zelgaddis-san! Are you ok?"
"Uhgh," Zel groaned as he picked himself up off the ground.
"I'm fine, I just wasn't expecting that."
She was looking at him with both fear and hope in her blue eyes.
{{How could anyone think that they are in love with me? This cursed body doesn't even look human. And Amelia- I thought she just had a crush on me, I never expected her to say that.}}
" I'm sorry I surprised you, Zelgaddis-san, but I had to tell you how I feel. I love you and-" she paused again, "and I want to be with you."
Xellos burst into a barely contained fit of giggles as Zelgaddis almost fell off the log again.
"You what?!?," Zel asked incredulously.
"Well, I want us to be together…." Amelia's voice trailed off softly as she studied her feet.
{{That's what he thought she'd said. He'd never really thought of her like that… He'd thought she just had a simple crush on him, so he had chosen to ignore it. Apparently, it was more than that. Here she was, offering herself to him. This was crazy! The only thing he'd wanted more than a cure, was companionship, a lover, someone he was truly close to. He'd never had that with anyone before. He was still a child when Rezo cursed him. It never occurred to him that someone would want to be with him, as he was now. But Amelia….?}}
"Amelia- ?" he said softly. She looked up. "I might need a little time to think about this… I'm-, " he paused, having trouble finding the right words, "I'm not really sure how I feel about you," he finished with difficulty.
She looked a little sad, but gave him a small smile. "I understand, this must be a little strange," she laughed a little as she said it, but it was empty laughter . "It's ok. I mean, why would you want someone like me anyway? I just hoped-," her voice caught in her throat. She stood and turned to leave.
"Wait," Zelgadis said, "where are you going?
Amelia didn't answer, she just kept walking. Zelgadis felt something snap inside him. {{He was going to lose this opportunity…. Maybe his only chance to mean something to someone, if he never found a cure… So she surprised him, so what. Was it really necessary to love someone right away in order to begin a relationship? She thinks I rejected her, just like I was rejected…}}
"Amelia, wait!" He jumped up and embraced her from behind, preventing her from leaving.
"Zelgaddis-san? What- ," Amelia sounded confused.
He closed his eyes. "I don't want you to go," he said softly.