Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Life Bestowed ❯ Dealing With New Problems ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

And now, a word from our sponsor…Just kidding! On with the show!

Chapter 3: Dealing With New Problems

The huge, floating machine was actually Robotnik's base. The scientist hadn't attacked-yet. The factories inside the flying fortress were producing large numbers of bombs to fall down on New York. There weren't many yet, but that would change soon.

Robotnik: Ah ha ha! Project deadly rain will be ready soon! Until then, all I have to do is wait.

The scientist walked up to a compartment in the wall, and opened it. He reached in and pulled out a large bag of barbecue-flavored potato chips. He then ran to a big chair and plopped down in it. Turning on a large TV, Robotnik flipped through the channels.

Robotnik: Hmm…boring…seen it…don't care…too depressing…ah ha! Perfect!

On the screen was Barney the dinosaur, and Robotnik sung along with him. Leaving this strange and somewhat scary sight, we now turn to Metal Sonic and Chaos, alone on their way to where Robotnik's base used to be. Metal Sonic had a large dent in his forehead, and another on his back. Chaos was certain that Sonic's shoes were alive and had walked away because, to him, he had never let go.

Metal Sonic: I don't know how he did it, but that reject survived the machine…It's probably your fault!

He smacked Chaos on the head.

Chaos: Ow! I didn't mean to make him real! Maybe he had Sonic's shoes with him…

Metal Sonic: What are you babbling about now?

Chaos: Sonic's shoes ran away from me!

There was a long pause before Metal Sonic could perfectly craft and sculpt what he would very carefully say next…

Metal Sonic: Shut up, Chaos.

Back at the refuge base, everyone watched as a news helicopter flew closer to the flying fortress. It came within a few hundred yards, and then flew up to go above the fortress. When it was above the base, they all saw a beam of energy fire from the central tower of the fortress and shoot down the helicopter. Everyone in the base gasped in horror at this, and watched two parachutes carrying two people drift away and toward the ground.

Sonic: Oh man, this is serious!

Johnny: And at a time like this! Why us?

Tails: Hey, what's that?

Tails pointed at the screen as it showed something being lowered to the ground from the fortress. It looked small compared to the flying base, but it was actually rather large.

Scotty: I don't know…Maybe they're aliens and that's one of them.

Sonic: Could be.

On the streets of New York, people ran away as the object that was lowered down revealed itself to be a large robot. It had four big, spider-like legs that carried a humanoid torso, which carried all kinds of weapons. It had four arms, two large ones and two small ones below them. The shoulders alone each carried a missile launcher, two large guns, and two small turrets. The large right arm had three fierce-looking metal claws on the end of it. The left appeared to be a massive chaingun. The lower right arm had some sort of laser, and the lower left one had another, smaller set of claws.

The machine stomped down the road, flattening cars that were in its way. It saw a bus, and aimed its four huge shoulder guns at it. After a brief moment, it fired. Four short beams of green energy hit the bus, causing it to explode. The robot continued on. Above it, in the flying base, Robotnik watched proudly as his latest creation rampaged in the city.

Robotnik: I'm such a genius! Eliminator will lure those hedgehogs out, and destroy them! Meanwhile, I'll be getting ready for my attack on the city! But where are Metal Sonic and Chaos? Oh no! I forgot to tell them about the flying base!

Metal Sonic and Chaos had reached a giant, crater-shaped hole in the ground where the base had been earlier.

Chaos: Hey, maybe the base is alive and it walked away, too!

Metal Sonic: Why don't you go walk away from me! Argh! Where is the base?!

Chaos: I think it's up there…

Chaos pointed toward the sky, and Metal Sonic looked up. They saw the base flying a few miles away, and Metal Sonic was rather confused. After a moment, he lie down on the ground, on his back, and stared at the sky. Chaos came up to him.

Chaos: Uh…What are you doing?

Metal Sonic: Repressing my frustration.

Chaos: Oh…What does that mean?

Metal Sonic: Go away.

Chaos: Really? That's what it means?

Metal Sonic: No. I want you to go away and leave me here to die.

Chaos: Die?! No!

Metal Sonic: Fine, I won't die. Just go away!

Chaos: No way! You're too unstable right now. I think that dent on your noggin is making you crazy.

Metal Sonic: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the Refuge base some distance away, the crew was worried about what would happen next.

Johnny: What's going with this thing? Who could be behind it?

Tails: Maybe Robotnik?

Sonic: I dunno. This doesn't quite seem to be his style.

Scotty: But we can't rule that out as a possibility.

Sally: Is there a way we could find out? Billy, can't you fly up there in that helicopter of yours?

Billy: Well, it's possible, but I think I'd first need to try and safeguard us against that things defense systems.

Knuckles: How long will that take?

Billy: I can't say; I'm still not sure just what defenses it has in the first place.

Sonic: What do we do until you figure that out?

Scotty: I think we should deal with that thing!

Scotty pointed to the screen, and it showed a news helicopter's camera view of Eliminator attacking a building. They all watched, wondering what this new threat was.

Scotty: This is crazy! It's one thing after another!

Sonya: Look at all the damage it's doing; we can't let it continue!

Sonic: She's right, Scott. You guys ready?

Johnny: I'll do my best.

Scotty: Johnny, are you sure? You're not used to fighting in a normal body.

Johnny: I can't let that stand in my way of fighting evil.

Amy: Please be careful! Don't get yourself killed out there.

Johnny: I won't let that happen; I couldn't do that to you.

Amy: Just watch yourself, and remember, you can get hurt now.

Johnny: I know. I'll be back.

Scotty: We'll all be back.

The team of Sonic, Scotty, Knuckles, and Johnny left toward the robot. Outside now, they could see the huge base flying ominously over the city. Undeterred, they continued on. Tails followed them out of the door, but his plan wasn't to fight the machine. He would watch it from a rooftop and analyze it. As they drew closer, police sirens could be heard. Meanwhile, Billy was busy trying to make modifications to the Freedom Eagle.

When Scotty and the others arrived at the location of Eliminator, they also met up with many police cars and the officers that had driven them. Innocent people were out of the streets, and the police were firing at Eliminator. The robot was unaffected by the shots, even those from police shotguns.

Eliminator turned to face two officers behind a car. They jumped out of the way just as the car exploded due to lasers from Eliminator. The robot paused for a moment when it saw Sonic. It then began to approach them all with increasing speed, moving like a spider on its four legs.

Scotty: It's headed right for us!

Sonic: Then let's get to it first!

They ran toward the robot, trying to stop it before it could damage any more police cars. They met in the street, and surrounded the robot. It towered over them, standing over 10 feet tall. Eliminator's chaingun began to spin as it pointed at Sonic. The hedgehog began to run to the side, but the aim of the gun followed him. It began to fire, and a trail of deadly shots followed Sonic, leaving a path of craters.

Sonic: Hey, could I get a little help here?!

Scotty: Right! Come on, guys!

Scotty ran toward the robot, trying to sneak up on it as it looked the other way to watch Sonic. Suddenly, Scotty was grabbed by Eliminator's right arm and lifted him into the air. He screamed in pain as the robot began to squeeze him.

Johnny: Scotty!

Johnny ran up and leapt onto the robot's arm. He pulled on one of the fingers that was trying to smash Scotty, but to no avail. A struggling Scotty tossed his sword to Johnny. After a moment of thought, Johnny activated the sword and swung it, slicing through one of the fingers. The other two still had a decent grip on the hedgehog, and the pointy tips of them were beginning to press in on Scotty's back. Johnny sliced through a second finger, and quickly moved on to the third one. Scotty fell to the ground, gasping for air. Eliminator stopped firing at Sonic for a moment, and refocused on Johnny. The robot swung its arm around, causing Johnny to lose his grip and be thrown down. He landed next to Johnny.

Scotty: Johnny! You're hurt!

Johnny: Yes…I'm painfully aware of that!

Johnny began to slowly move away from Eliminator after handing Scotty his sword. The robot pointed its right arm at the two hedgehogs, and they saw energy begin to build up inside it.

Johnny: That's a plasma charge; I'd know it anywhere! Get away, Scotty!

Suddenly, Knuckles glided into the side of the arm, disrupting its aim. The next thing the echidna knew, he was face-to-face with the spinning barrels of Eliminator's left arm.

Knuckles: Whoa! I'm outta here!

He jumped off just in time to avoid the shots. They missed, hitting a building behind Scotty. Sonic came up behind the robot, preparing for a spin dash. The turrets on the sides of Eliminator's shoulders rotated backwards, firing at Sonic. The hedgehog dodged all but one of them, and it grazed his left leg. He tripped to the ground, scratching him up.

Sonic: Unh…My leg!

On a rooftop above them, Tails had his laptop, and was watching the fight. He was determined to figure out a weak point on Eliminator. The fox saw Sonic crash to the street.

Tails: Sonic! Oh no!

Knuckles returned to the fight, and jumped onto the robot's head. He punched down into it as hard as he could, but did little damage. Four small lasers on the sides of Eliminator's head rotated upwards and fired into Knuckles's chest. He fell off the back of the robot, with four small burns stinging him.

Tails: They're dropping like flies! Oh, what should I do?

A long blue laser streaked past his head, singing the fur. He froze with fear for a moment, before looking down. When he did, he saw the smoking barrel of Eliminator's lower right arm pointing right at him. Tails jumped backwards, seeking shelter on the roof. Down below, four injured heroes had regrouped, and stood weakly several feet in front of Eliminator. The robot looked back down at them.

Sonic: If anybody's got a plan, now's the time to say it!

Scotty: I got nothing…You?

Johnny: I'm drawing a blank.

A single missile launched from each launcher on Eliminator's shoulders, for a total of two.

Knuckles: I've got a plan!

Sonic: What?

Knuckles: RUN!!!

They all turned tail and ran from the deadly projectiles, which crashed into the ground just behind them. The blast wave was enough to knock them all down. Their faces hit the street, and they slowly turned over onto their backs. Now facing Eliminator, they watched as it stomped up closer to them. It raised its left arm, spinning the chaingun and preparing to fire. It pointed the weapon directly at Sonic. The hedgehog cringed, bracing for the shots, and they all closed their eyes. Three shots were heard from behind closed eyes. Oddly, they were followed by the sound of metal hitting concrete. Scotty wearily opened one eye to look at Sonic. The blue hedgehog had not been hit by anything, but Eliminator's arm had been, apparently. It sat in pieces, some on the ground, some hanging from the robot.

Scotty: What in New York?!

There was a hydraulic noise from above them, and they looked up to see Tails's Veritech, in battloid mode, standing just behind them.

Scotty: Sonic! Everyone! Look, it's Tails's robot!

Sonic: Huh?! I'm alive?!

Eliminator began to retreat as the Veritech stepped over the hedgehogs to stand between them and the enemy robot. Suddenly, a beam of bright, sky-blue energy surrounded Eliminator from above. The robot was lifted off the ground, and taken up into the flying base. After a moment, The Veritech shifted into its guardian mode, half-jet, half-robot. Then, strangely, Tails flew down from the rooftop, landing in front of the Veritech.

Sonic: Wait a second! Tails, if you're here, then who's-

He was interrupted by the Veritech's canopy as it opened up to reveal the pilot. A young, dark blue hedgehog hopped out. His name was Simon.

Simon: Hey, guys! Tails, sorry about borrowing your jet, but it was kind of an emergency.

Tails: Don't worry about it. You did the right thing.

Knuckles: This figures; we were saved by a kid.

Johnny: A kid with a 40-foot tall robot.

Scotty: Can't forget that. Thanks, son.

Simon: I couldn't stand to watch that thing hurt you anymore.

Sonic: It's me that really owes you. I was about to become the world's fastest Swiss cheese!

Tails: Do you think that thing'll be back?

Scotty: I'm certain of it. They always come back.

Johnny: Probably, but I think we put it out of commission for a while.

Sonic: So what do we do till then?

Knuckles: We go home.

They all agreed, and Tails let Simon fly the Veritech back while the others ran. They passed the police cars, and met up at the Refuge base. There they were greeted by family and friends, glad to be back. Dr. Arrow helped them with their injuries, and the group took a much-needed break. They all lay on cots in the lounge, watching TV with the others. Amy walked up to Johnny, and the hedgehog sat up to greet her.

Amy: Hey, Johnny, how ya feeling?

Johnny: I feel small lingering pains in my motors.

Amy: Huh?

Johnny: I believe the correct word is `sore'.

Amy: Oh. Well, it makes sense considering what happened.

Johnny: I managed to keep my word. I came back.

Amy: Yes, you certainly did.

Scotty called to them from a few feet away. Sonya was standing beside his cot.

Scotty: And I kept my word; we all came back.

Sonya: You had us all really worried. The news channels didn't take their cameras off you, so we saw every move you made. That's how Simon knew you were in trouble. I almost didn't let him go, but he begged me. You should've seen the determination in his face. Simon takes after you, you know.

Scotty: Well, I'm glad for it. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for him.

The two hugged each other.

Sonya: I really missed you today.

Scotty: I did, too, Sony. I did, too.

Amy laid a hand on Johnny's shoulder, and he put his hand on hers. They had missed each other as well. Eliminator had been subdued for now, but somehow they all felt that this was just the beginning…

So, how was that? Please review!