Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Sickness ❯ The Sickness ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This blasted sickness won't leave me alone! Every night I wake up with night sweats and a runny nose, sore throat and an aching back. I'm starting to realize some of what the humans suffer through… Although I will never quite fully understand them. But one way or another, I will overcome this sickness and get to go out again, into the beautiful sunlight and darkness once more that has clouded this city since before I was born…
 
“That should do it for today, *yawn*, besides, I can't keep my eyes open…”
 
Rouge set the little book and pencil on her bedside table and walked over to her bed. She looked out of the window; there were birds, black as night circling above a huge floating island. She glanced up towards the island and saw a big, brown cabin with half of the lights on and music blaring through the air. She glanced over to the pedestal she had strolled by before, not daring to touch the huge emerald on top of it, for the fear of the guardian who keeps it would come out and see her the way she was now…
 
While she was skimming the surrounding area of the marvelous pedestal, she saw a short, red echidna talking to a blue beast that had then submerged itself into the emerald once more. The red echidna turned around slowly, and for a second it looked as though he stared straight at Rouge before going back inside to join the others.
 
“*Sigh* If only he loved me the same way I love him, maybe then this friggin' sickness will go away…”
 
Bong! Bong! Bong! Bong! It was now four in the morning and Rouge was still not asleep, thinking of her sickness and her crush, who was still in his cabin with all of his friends. When the music had suddenly stopped, she glanced out of the window to see all of the others heading home. She could see out of the corner of her eye something gliding towards her window, but she didn't think anything of it; it was too far away for her to tell what it was.
 
Not until it got about 3 yards away from her window did she start to get worried, because by that time it wasn't slowing down. When it finally reached her window she heard a loud THUMP. She looked out of the window and when she didn't see anything she turned back around and closed her eyes to try to sleep. Suddenly, she heard a noise and then felt something fall on top of her. She kept her eyes shut to make the trespasser think she was asleep.
 
Only when she felt a pair of lips on hers did she open her eyes. There, she saw the red echidna from before, leaning over her, taking her breath away; and it felt like he was taking her sickness with it…
 
When she woke up the next morning, the red echidna was gone. “Was it a dream?” she thought. When she got out of bed, she noticed her back wasn't hurting anymore and she could breathe again! “I wonder where he went?” she wondered aloud.
 
“I'm right here,” she wheeled around and saw Knuckles walk into the room with a big breakfast tray; she could see a stack of pancakes, some eggs, bacon, and orange juice. “Breakfast in bed?” he asked.
 
Rouge started to laugh and when she saw the confused face on Knuckles she said, “Of course, silly.” And Knuckles started to laugh as well.
 
After breakfast, they shared a shower and then went for a walk in the park. “Knuckles?” Rouge asked, as they were walking by the pond; the little fish poked their heads up in search of food, and Rouge started to laugh. “Yeah,” he said.
 
“Well, last night, when you `came over', didn't you know that I was sick?” she asked.
 
“Yeah,” he said. “But why does that matter?”
 
“Well,” she said. “You could've gotten sick, too.”
 
“No.” he said simply.
 
“How?” she asked; this time he stopped and stared straight at her.
 
“Because,” he said. “When you love someone, you don't care if they're sick or mad at you or sad, you just want them to know that you love them no matter what. And that, Rouge, is why I didn't get sick; some echidnan rule.”
 
Rouge just stood there and stared back into his beautiful violet eyes. And to break the silence and awkwardness of the moment, Knuckles leaned over and laid his lips on hers. They shared a very deep, emotional kiss for what seemed like 5 minutes.
 
He took her back to his house and set her on his bed; she was tired and needed some rest. He walked to the door, and before he turned the lights off, he whispered, “Rouge, I love you. You know that now and if you ever get sick again, I shall do the same thing and take that sickness from underneath your nose.” And he turned the lights off and closed the door behind him.
 
When he turned around, he saw Sonic, Tails, and Shadow glaring up at him. “Well, you would do the same thing, wouldn't you?” Knuckles asked plainly. They looked at each other, but he knew the answer…