Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ Tails X ❯ What Do You Want From Me? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch 2
 
“What's up little buddy?” the blue hedgehog asked in his normal upbeat tone.
 
Tails gave a quick smile and turned back around. “Hey Sonic.” He replied with some trace of enthusiasm.
 
Sonic walked up and stood next to Tails on the edge of the cliff. “What are you doin' out here so late? Don't you think you should be sleeping?”
 
Tails never removed his gave from the ocean. “I can't sleep.”
 
Sonic now sat down next to him. Tails was going to be the first person he would tell about what happened to Chris. “Chris left earlier today.”
 
“Where to?” Tails asked, not considering that he could have gone home.
 
“He went back to his planet.” Sonic began. “Eggman made a transport for him. He says that we will probably never see him again.”
 
Tails sulked a little, knowing that he had just lost another friend. He sniffled a little, but would not allow himself to cry in front of Sonic, not again. “I'm gonna miss him.”
 
Sonic now stood back up. “We all are. Hey, do you want to go for a walk?”
 
Tails knew where the walk was going, and it was not a place that he wanted to go. But he knew that Sonic would not take no for an answer, so he stood up and faced his best friend. “Alright.”
 
They walked down the beach in the direction of Tails' house, but they were far away enough for Sonic to get in a good conversation.
 
After a few moments of silence, Sonic decided to break it. “So, how've you been, Tails?”
 
Tails still refused to look at him. This was exactly why he did not want to go on a walk, but answered Sonic's question. “I'm fine.” He replied monotonously.
 
Sonic grew an annoyed expression. It was not like Tails to be so emotionless, and he knew that he was depressed because of recent events. “You don't sound so fine.”
 
“I don't care how I sound.” Tails stated with a hint of annoyance in his voice.
 
This caught Sonic a little off guard. It was not like Tails to talk like this to him, and Sonic did not want to hear him speak like that again, so he remained silent for a while.
 
Once Tails' house was in view, Sonic decided to try again. “What have you been working on lately? Playing with the X-Tornado like usual?”
 
“Yeah.” He blatantly replied.
 
Sonic was beginning to think that this was useless. When they reached the front door, Sonic stayed a step behind and began to say goodbye to him, but Tails invited him in before he could get the words out.
 
“You wanna come inside?” the yellow fox asked while holding the door open.
 
Sonic saw this as an opportunity to keep an eye on Tails and quickly said yes then walked in after him. Tails sat down on the couch by the window where Cosmo's seed resided and Sonic took a seat next to him. Tails grabbed a small remote from in between the cushions of the couch and flicked on the television.
 
Sonic watched him surf through the channels. The Tails before him looked much different, and in a bad way. He had an empty frown across his face, his eyes were held half open like he had not slept in days, and the bright aqua eyes no longer had a lively shine like they had. Sonic had not seen Tails look like this since he had met him, back when he was bullied for his brilliant inventions and his two Tails. Although Sonic knew that he had no idea of what Tails was going through, it would be good for him to talk about it. But it did not seem that he was going to get anything out of him, not tonight.
 
Realizing defeat, Sonic resorted to talking like he otherwise normally would to him. “Looking for anything in particular?”
 
Tails stopped changing channels and turned the television off. “Not really. There isn't anything on in the middle of the night.” He replied while using the remote to turn on a small stereo system under the television, causing quiet rock music to flow through the house.
 
The yellow kitsune stood up and walked across the room into the kitchen area and opened the fridge. “Do you want anything to drink, Sonic?” he asked from across the room.
 
The blue hedgehog thought about it for a minute, but decided no, not wanting to spoil any sleep that he might get tonight. “No, thanks.”
 
Spoiling sleep seemed to be exactly what Tails was trying to do as he pulled a Mountain Dew out of the fridge, and it was a big one too.
 
“Y'know, that's going to drive away any sleep you might get tonight.” Sonic stated as Tails sat down next to him.
 
“I know.” He replied as he sat back down next to Sonic.
 
Tails didn't want to fall asleep, and any person could tell that someone Tails' age would not want to sleep because of nightmares. “You don't want to sleep?” Sonic asked.
 
This was a tough question to answer correctly. If Tails said yes, that would only lead to Sonic asking more questions and trying to pry a way into his feeling. On the other hand, saying no would not fit the way he looked and what he was doing, which would lead to more questions Tails didn't feel like answering.
 
So the kit did the most logical thing to get out of this squeeze; lie. “I'm in the middle of something with the X-Tornado. I need to stay awake and finish it.”
 
Sonic raised a brow, knowing that Tails was a terrible liar and could tell even if he was blindfolded. “Really? You need to stay awake for it? Then why did you decide to take a midnight stroll before finishing?”
 
Tails opened his mouth to speak, but nothing would come.
 
“And then shouldn't you be doing it now?”
 
Tails had an obvious look of frustration on his face.
 
“It doesn't seem like something urgent enough to have to keep you from sleeping.”
 
Tails jumped from the couch and took a few angry steps away from it and crossed his arms facing away from Sonic. “What do you want out of me? Do you WANT to know that I have nightmares?! Do you WANT to know that when nobody is around I do nothing but cry and daydream?! Do you WANT to know how much things suck for me right now?!”
 
Sonic stared at him for a minute and felt kind of bad about what he had done. The young kit was shaking slightly and a few quiet sniffles could be heard through the room. He stood up and slowly walked over to him, and then gently placed his hand on Tails shoulder.
 
Seeing his best friend like this was killing him, and he would never admit it, but Sonic felt like crying too. “No, I just want to know that you're alright.” The blue hedgehog said softly.
 
Tails let the tension in his arms and shoulders go away as he let his arms and loosely by his side and let his head sulk. He shook more than before now and took in deep long breaths, trying so hard not to cry.
 
Sonic tried to calm him down by rubbing his shoulder with his thumb. “It's alright to cry, Tails.” he gently stated.
 
Tails could no longer help himself, and a steady stream of tears dripped from his white muzzle to the wooden floor beneath him while the quiet sniffling became audible sobs. “I just feel… so… worthless.” The young fox began to say. “I couldn't save you, Knuckles, Cream, myself, anyone… not even Cosmo”
 
That was the first time Sonic had heard him say Cosmo's name, and it was the first time Tails actually had said it since he got back to his planet.
 
Sonic could feel his start to fall and sway from side to side, so he grabbed Tails other shoulder to keep him upright. “Let me sit you down.” The blue hedgehog said as he guided the sobbing Tails to the couch.
 
Tails pulled his knees to his chest and wrapped his two large tails around himself.
 
Sonic sat down also but avoided looking at him, wanting to give Tails a feeling of privacy. What he had said didn't make sense in real life, but he guessed that Tails was feeling guilty, so guilty that it invaded his dreams and caused the nightmares he was having.