Speed Racer Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Curves ❯ Trials and Time Trials ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Speed Racerand Angelare the property of their respective copyright holders, not me.
Chapter 9: Trials and Time Trials
by Raven Dhancer
 
I felt tired, heavy, covered in a thin film of sweat and soil as I left my car the next morning. I ached and I needed something strong. I went looking for coffee. I found the coffee maker and some coffee that didn't look too bad, and smelled pretty good. I dumped in a extra large amount, turned on the maker and let the coffee run through while I tried to rest in a chair. When the machine started belching and burping I found a mug that looked clean and poured a mug. I sat down and leaned back in a kitchen chair and tried to put the facts of the case in order in my mind.

I was getting to the point of headache when Lorne showed up. He was wearing a dark green jacket and slacks and looked dapper as he always did. He sauntered over to the coffee machine and eyed the pot. He poured himself a cup and sat down. He sipped, made a face and went off to look for the milk.

"Can you please explain why you are in my kitchen?" asked Rex. He was standing in the doorway with the sort of expression that often accompanies thoughts like 'so yesterday wasn't a dream'.

"Rex!" I cried, "have I told you how excellent your coffee is? Mmmm! Goddamn! This is some serious gourmet shit! Usually, me and Lorne would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice, but he springs this serious GOURMET shit on us! What flavor is this?"

Lorne gave me a look. "I love you, Pumpkin."

"I love you Honey Bunny" I replied. "Honestly," I said to Rex, "I'm here because my kitchen is full of Inspector Detector."

I had gotten home at too late in the morning, and maybe I had been a bit asleep, but I didn't notice anything on the way into the building or anywhere up to the apartment. I hadn't noticed anything until I heard the snoring coming from the couch. I edged carefully into the living room. At first, I couldn't see anything except a huge pair of curling horns poking up from the figure lying there. Then, as I was wondering if I knew the guy, my eyes adjusted to the light and I was able to recognize the international scourge of crime that was Inspector Detector, flat on his back, asleep. He was built like a professional wrestler with the same enormous chest and thin legs that Pops had. That superman had for that matter. What neither had was his beard that rose out of face, bifurcated and reached two curling point like tusks. It jutted into the air, vibrating slightly as he snored.

I left quietly and went back to my car. The inspector hadn't crossed paths with anyone from Wolfram and Hart, as far as I knew, but he had pulled some major criminals in LA. If he was asleep on my couch, I needed to talk to him. But not now. He'd have to wait a bit.

“Also,” I continued to Rex, “I think we need to pool our info. I tried to get Speed here too, but he's stuck in the time trials.”
 
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
 
An extract from Speed's journal. (AN: This is the first proper entry known to exist. It was written with pencil in a small black MoleSkine.)

9:00 am I'm really starting to enjoy 'journaling' even though that isn't a real word. I'm waiting to see if I repeat my time trial today.

9:45 am I just saw Felicia. She wanted a kiss for luck. Now she's in her car warming up. I've never seen her race before.

10:00 am Holy Cow! (AN: underlined twice.) Watching her drive, she just sails round the curves. She does things with the car that I've never seen. She just flew through past the pits and I think she's drifting the car in the turns. That shouldn't even be possible!

She's just clinched pole position. I don't think even Racer X or I could do a better time!

11-ish am Back waiting.

Felicia was really pleased. She leaped out of the car at the pits and dashed over to where she could see the scoreboard. After she saw her time her face just light up! “I won! I won! I won! Yea, ME!” She was dancing in circles. I went up to congratulate her.

“You drove really well!” I said. “I hope we race tomorrow. I'm not sure I qualify with my time. Pops will be really sad.”

She looked a little concerned then she shrugged. “I'll fix it, silly. Don't you worry!”

She went off, still chanting “Yea, me! Yea, me!”

I wonder what she meant. There are lots of drivers that haven't gone and there is rain predicted this afternoon. I'm in trouble. I'm already way back in the pack with yesterday's time.
-- extract ends.
 
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
 
I gave Lorne and Rex the rundown of what I'd learned from Pops and Sparky and then I put the Joes Diner Timer on the table. Lorne picked it up and fiddled with it. It went `click-click-click-tink' like someone had hit it had with a spoon.

Rex stiffened. He sat motionless and silent for a few minutes, then rose and went to the freezer. He opened it and started to root around trying to get to something at the back. He returned with a small package wrapped in white butcher's paper.

“Delicia Hamster” he said. “I got home a few months ago and found her passed away on the floor of her cage. I told the kids she escaped.” He proceeded to unwrap the package.

“What next?” he asked me. Lorne was looking at me too.

“I am not going to try creating a zombie hamster!” I protested. “Are you insane?”

Lorne shrugged. “Might be worth a try… what have we got to lose?”

“What have - What if it worked? Which it won't, but what if it did?” I snapped. “Then what? Hey kids, we found your pet. Funny thing! It doesn't eat pellets anymore, it eats brains!”

Rex looked hurt.

“Besides” I said “as far as I can tell, that is a grade-A ordinary timer. And I went to the diner last night. I don't think there's anything going on there besides improper food preparation. There's another piece we've missed.” Rex and Lorne were still looking at me expectantly.

“Fine!” I said, “Here, look!” I wound up the timer and thunked it back on the table. We sat and watched it in silence while the dial crept round. Eventually it went `tink'; we looked at the gently thawing hamster. It was still dead.

We hashed a few more things out. Rex told his tale, and Lorne told bits of his. Lorne did not mention Trixie at all. He was in a delicate position. Hell, we all were - Rex was probably clean, I was nearly positive he was clean, but even then I figured if he knew what Trixie was doing, he might turn. Maybe I should trust people more. Hell, if I knew what Trixie was doing. I was going to have to get the details out of Lorne and then I was going to have to get the details out of Trixie, and then I was what?

We didn't seem to be getting anywhere here. Rex put Delicia back in the freezer and Lorne and I headed out. I was going to see some people, first of all, Speed.
 
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
 
From Exhibit J -- the Diaries of Chim-Chim

My agents in Tulsa have contacted me again. I cannot believe the news. The one thing I thought would never happen, the fatal flaw in my perfect plan, Speed is almost certain to be dropped from the race. Steps must be taken, whatever the cost.
 
TBC
AN: If you are Speed Racer challenged, there's a link in my profile for basic character info.
 
33-36