Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ The Winds of Fate ❯ Return ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Spirited Away.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Chapter 5
 
Return
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
That familiar silver dragon flew gracefully through the sky, sun glinting off his scales. She felt like she should recognize him, but his identity evaded her. Even though she just couldn't remember, she felt a strange content feeling as she watched the beautiful creature.
 
Something suddenly shot in front of the dragon and he was forced to retreat higher into the sky. She looked back and saw a large camp of inhuman creatures. A group brandishing bows stood looking up the dragon. They were trying to shoot him down. She felt a sudden fear for the dragon, though she couldn't explain where it came from or why it was so intense. A low sound of chanting reached her ears and the arrows in the creatures' quivers began to glow, enhanced by some sort of power. The archers loaded the glowing arrows onto their bows and released them.
 
She heard a roar of pain and realized that the dragon had been hit; it seemed whatever power that had been used increased the range of the arrows and now the dragon wasn't safe, even high as he was. Another wave of arrows was released and the dragon executed a series of well-maneuvered evasive moves but wasn't able to avoid them all. He growled in pain again and she could see blood staining his silver scales.
 
A sudden jolt in her stomach made her feel like she had seen something like this before.
 
She ran into the room to find a large bleeding dragon in front of an ornate fireplace. Three bouncing heads were trying to push the wounded dragon into a hole. Dread and anger feared within her as she ran to the dragon's side…
 
She blinked and the dragon cried out in pain again as he was hit again. Blood was flowing freely onto his scales and he was losing altitude as he woozily flew. She realized in fear that he was losing too much blood to continue much longer.
 
Without help, he would die.
 
“Chihiro…” a familiar voice called weakly to her.
 
Her eyes widened.
 
Chihiro… I need you.
 
Flash
 
Two pigs in her parents clothing…
 
Flash
 
A boy with black hair holding her hand…
 
Flash
 
An old man with spider-like arms and soot balls…
 
Flash
 
An old cranky witch with gaudy jewelry…
 
Flash
 
A brunette woman looking at her with concerned eyes…
 
Flash
 
A silver-scaled dragon…
 
Flash
 
A kindly witch who looked like the first…
 
Flash
 
A No Face…
 
Flash
 
Flying on the dragon's back…
 
Flash
 
“Don't look back…”
 
Chihiro jerked upright in her bed, sweaty and panting. Her eyes were wide as the scene replayed in her mind.
 
“Haku!”
 
Looking at her hands, Chihiro suddenly realized her memories had returned. Suddenly she knew who all the people in her recurring dreams were. And the impetus had been…
 
Haku.
 
“He's in trouble!”
 
A quick glance at the clock told her it was 2:17 a.m. Chihiro jumped from her bed and threw on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt and pulled her hair back in her hair tie - the gift from Zeniba - as she ran downstairs. After a hastily written note to her parents, she pulled on her shoes and ran out the front door and down the street.
 
Without any thought other than getting to Haku, Chihiro ran down to the statue faster than she had ever run in her life. She stumbled several times and caught her clothing on tree branches that littered the off-road path to the statue but Chihiro paid no attention. She could feel a branch whip against her face. Putting a hand to her cheek and looking down, she saw blood. Chihiro ignored the stinging ache of the scratch; Haku's wounds had been much more serious.
 
After what seemed like an eternity, Chihiro made it to the statue. She stopped, panting after the dead sprint and looked up at the tunnel in front of her. She felt a sudden foreboding that seemed to be warning her against what she was planning. After catching her breath, Chihiro swallowed and did her best to ignore the feeling that the walls would press down on her if she continued forward and walked into the tunnel. Gaining confidence with every step, the brunette was soon in a full out sprint once more. Reaching the end of the tunnel she was forced to stop before stepping outside as an overwhelming sense of warning arose in her gut.
 
“I have to go forward,” Chihiro said out loud. “Haku needs me.”
 
The ominous feeling subsided long enough for her to step outside into the grass. The moon shone overhead and Chihiro swallowed before taking the path she now remembered taking as a child. Little in the field had changed, she noted as she kept walking. Unable to take the path as quickly as she would like due to rocks and other protrusions, Chihiro was left to think about the sudden return of her memories.
 
I always knew there was something I was missing, she thought as she navigated the empty river ditch. River… Haku…Hold on. I'm coming. She swallowed before forcing her thoughts away from the inevitable dark path they were taking. I don't know what I can do, but I'm coming.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Lin looked down at Haku's unconscious form with a mixture of anger and worry as she dabbed a cool cloth on his sweaty forehead. His skin was a sickly pallor that did not suit Haku's normally regal presence. Lin sighed. Had they recovered Haku a moment later, he probably would have died from blood loss. It was lucky that he had fallen from the air on the bathhouse side of the battle lines, as he would have certainly been killed had he fallen among the demons.
 
Yubaba and Zeniba had combined their powers to shield Haku from any further attacks by the demons and had used the same bubble technique they had used to transport the bathhouse guests to safety to bring Haku back into friendly hands. Upon losing consciousness he had transformed back into his humanoid form, though the fall had probably done that form more harm than it would have his dragon form as he had several broken bones among the rest of his injuries.
 
Several of the demon arrow shafts had been sticking out of him and he had cried out unconsciously when the medical team had attempted to remove them. Not only had it taken Zeniba and Yubaba's magic to remove the barbed arrows from Haku's body, but it seemed the tips of the arrows had been dipped in poison. The fever Haku was running was obviously a result of the poison in his body. The medical team was hard at work trying to identify the poison and create an antidote, but in the hours since they had left to work, there had been no updates on their progress.
 
Lin dipped the rag back into the bowl of water at Haku's bedside - they had managed to move the dragon to his quarters at least - before looking tiredly to the rest of those in the room. Zeniba stood at the window looking lost in thought. No Face stood to Zeniba's right, also looking out the window. Lin wasn't sure whether the phantom was thinking as well or if he was just looking out the window because Zeniba was, though she supposed it didn't really matter. Boh sat at Haku's other side, watching the river spirit with an intense concern that reflected feelings that Lin had never realized Yubaba's son held for him. Yubaba herself had disappeared back into her office once Haku's condition had been stabilized enough that her aid was no longer required.
 
“I need a change of water,” Lin said, noticing the water had come to room temperature. No Face drifted over to Lin's side and the female spirit proffered the bowl to him. The phantom took the bowl and glided out of the room in search of cooler water. The brunette sighed and slumped into a chair, eyes never leaving the dragon.
 
“How is he?” Boh asked quietly, looking over Haku's shivering form to Lin.
 
“Not so good,” Lin replied honestly. “His body is having to not only deal with all the blood he has lost and the other wounds he has received, but the poison as well.”
 
“Haku is strong,” Boh said, looking down at the weakened river spirit.
 
“Even the strongest beings can fall,” Zeniba said quietly. “Everyone had a weakness. And a poison can kill anyone, weak or strong. We just have to hope Haku's strength will allow him to fight it long enough for an antidote to be discovered.”
 
A gloomy silence fell over the room, each spirit with their own thoughts. Lin watched Haku's fevered form for several moments before a thought hit her.
 
“How did the demons see Haku to shoot him down?” she asked.
 
Zeniba blinked and turned away from the window. “What?”
 
“You were casting an invisibility spell on him, weren't you?” Lin added to clarify.
 
“Yes,” the elderly witch replied. “But the demons seemed to be using magic as well. That was how their arrows managed to reach Haku despite the fact that he should have been out of their range.”
 
“But how did they know he was even there?” Lin pressed. “They had to have known something was going on for them to be using magic to block your invisibility spell.”
 
“I guess I hadn't thought about it,” Zeniba said after a moment.
 
“There hasn't been much of a chance,” Lin said with a shrug.
 
“But it brings up an interesting question,” the witch said, looking at Haku. “How did they know he would be there? And if they knew he was coming back, did they know he escorted the guests? And if they somehow knew that, why didn't they attack then?” The questions seemed endless all of a sudden.
 
“I don't like any of the possibilities,” Lin said with a groan.
 
“Me either,” Zeniba agreed. “But for now, all we can do is guess, and that won't get us anywhere. All we can do now is look after Haku the best we can and make sure the bathhouse is well defended in his absence.”
 
“That's a tall order,” a new voice broke in. Everyone in the room started and looked at the doorway to see Kamaji follow No Face into the room.
 
“Kamaji!” Lin greeted in surprise. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I came to see how our dragon was doing,” the elderly boiler-spirit replied. “Most everyone is asleep now after all the commotion so there was little work to be done.”
 
Lin took the bowl of now cold water from No Face and gave him a smile of gratitude. The phantom made a noise than Lin could only assume was an acknowledgement before drifting back to the window Zeniba stood by. Lin dipped a dry cloth into the bowl and placed it onto Haku's feverish brow. She felt so helpless watching her friend lie in such obvious pain and having little she was able to do to help him.
 
“He's not doing so well,” Lin told Kamaji. Zeniba related the details of the dragon's condition and the boiler-man grimaced as the witch finished.
 
“Those demons really did a number on him.”
 
“I wonder if they realize how important Haku is to our side,” Zeniba said, looking back out the window at the lights of the demon camp, “or just attacked anyone that appeared to be from the bathhouse.”
 
“Whether they realize it or not, they still did us harm,” Lin said, replacing the rag on Haku's forehead.
 
“What do we do now?” Kamaji asked.
 
“I really wish I knew,” Zeniba said with a helpless shrug.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Chihiro stopped when she reached the steps that led into abandoned amusement park that doubled as the entrance into the Spirit World. She had the sudden urge to look back the way she had come. She turned and swallowed with the sudden feeling that by moving forward she would be taking a step she might not be able to take back. Taking a deep breathe, the brunette gave one final look back to the Human World before stepping into the gateway to the Spirit Realm.
 
With her first full step into the abandoned amusement park she felt an ominous presence. She shivered. Was this the presence of the creatures that were besieging the bathhouse and that had wounded Haku? Doing her best to ignore the evil atmosphere she could almost taste, Chihiro began walking. Looking around, she immediately noticed the lack of spirits. The last time she had been here, the spirits had immediately come out when the sun had set and the smell of cooking food had permeated the place. But this night it was dark, cold, and empty. Chihiro hoped it wasn't a bad omen but couldn't shake the worried feeling.
 
Continuing her walk through the darkened park, she used the light of the moon to guide her way. She was kicking herself for not thinking to grab a flashlight before she had left her home in such a hurry. She made her way through the labyrinth of empty booths more slowly than she would have liked but was too concentrated on keeping her guard up against the ominous feeling that infused the very air she was breathing.
 
Finally winding her way to the end of the abandoned food market, Chihiro stopped at the top of a hill and blinked in surprise. There was a large encampment on the other side of the lake about a mile away from the bathhouse. She blinked at the sheer number of torches that lit the camp and Chihiro only assumed it was the camp of the inhuman creatures. Their numbers were greater than she had expected. Peering hard into the darkness, she could just make out movement on the edge of the camp.
 
“Sentries,” she breathed. She had only read about sieges in books but she could recognize the tell-tale traits immediately.
 
Studying the layout of the camp, she realized she was going to be in their direct sight if she took the bridge directly into the bathhouse she had used the first time she had arrived at the bathhouse. She would either have to make her way quickly past the guards to avoid being seen or find another way into the bathhouse. Neither seemed like a good possibility for her at the moment.
 
“Now that?” she breathed.
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Zeniba blinked as she looked out the window. She couldn't be sensing her presence. It couldn't be possible… but the witch would recognize her aura anywhere. Not to mention she was wearing the hair tie she had sewn for her all those years ago; she knew the feel of her handiwork better than the back of her own hand. There could be no mistake, as impossible as it seemed.
 
“Zeniba?”
 
The witch looked up to see Lin and Boh looking at her. She must have been showing some kind of reaction on her face so quickly schooled it. “What is it, Lin?”
 
“Are you alright?” the younger woman asked, tilting her head slightly.
 
“Hm? Oh, I'm fine. I just realized I need to speak to my sister about something,” Zeniba replied smoothly, making her way toward the door. I'm not going to get Lin's hopes up in case I'm wrong… I doubt I am, but I'm not going to risk it on something like this. “I'll be back soon.”
 
The brunette spirit blinked but said nothing as the witch left the room. Zeniba spared a final glance for Haku but saw no change in the dragon's condition. Surely he, of all of them, would have felt her presence but she supposed the girl's presence would have been quite weak while the dragon was otherwise incapacitated. But even subconsciously, Zeniba half expected him to show some sign of recognition. Shrugging to herself, the witch nodded at Lin and left the room.
 
Closing the door to Haku's chambers behind her, Zeniba took a breath before setting off for Yubaba's office with a quick, determined step. While she knew her sister held no love for the girl, she also knew Yubaba would have to realize the importance of keeping her safe. She had no idea what would have prompted the human girl to come back - and now of all times - but something had to have happened as Zeniba knew for a fact that the girl's memories of the Spirit World had faded the longer she had been away. It was curious, that was for sure.
 
Zeniba soon found herself in front of the gaudy doors that let into her sister's office. She knocked twice but made no move to wait for a reply. She opened the door to find Yubaba standing at the window, looking out over the lake toward the portal to the Human World. Zeniba's twin did not turn to look at her sister but she knew her presence had been noticed.
 
“You felt it, too?” Yubaba asked, still looking out the window.
 
Zeniba closed the door behind her and nodded. “Yes. It's unmistakable. It has to be her.”
 
“What in the world is she doing back here? And now of all times?” Yubaba demanded irritably, her distaste for the clever girl showing through.
 
“I don't know,” Zeniba replied, “but it would be best to find out, don't you think?”
 
“We don't have the time or capacity to baby-sit a human right now,” the bathhouse owner grumbled. “We have enough problems to deal with without her around.”
 
“The longer she is out there, the more risk she runs of being seen by the demons,” Zeniba said reasonably. “At least if we can bring her here, we can find out why she has come back and decide where to go from there.”
 
“Directly back to her world,” Yubaba said under her breath, knowing full well her sister would be able to hear her.
 
“Let's just keep her from getting killed by the demons first,” Zeniba said, slightly exasperated with her sister.
 
“Fine, fine. Let's get on with it.”
 
Zeniba pursed her lips as she joined hands with her sister to begin the spell.
 
Chihiro… what are you doing back in our world?
 
*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
 
Lin watched helplessly as Haku wrestled feverishly with the poison in his body. She dabbed the cool cloth on the river spirit's forehead but wished there was more she could do. One of the bathhouse medics had come up a few hours before just to tell them that the poison was of an unknown origin - demonic, obviously - so they were having a difficult time finding ingredients to counteract those in the poison in the dragon's body. They were sure they'd be able to find a cure, but it would take time.
 
Which was something they of which they did not have a lot.
 
Haku, be strong. Just a little longer.
 
She looked up at her companions and smiled tiredly at Boh, who had fallen asleep in his chair. He had wanted to keep a vigil over the fallen dragon, but needed sleep too. She looked over at No Face and the phantom gave her what she took to be a nod before drifting over to the armoire and pulling out a blanket. Lin rose from her seat and took the blanket with a nod to No Face before covering Boh with it. She smiled fondly at Yubaba's son who, while he was still young, had matured both physically and emotionally since he had begun spending time outside of Yubaba's tight grasp. The brunette enjoyed spending time with the younger spirit, teaching him different things about the bathhouse and life in general and Boh seemed to enjoy the time they spent together as well.
 
Lin took the moment she was on her feet to stretch her aching muscles out. She walked over to the window and looked out over the moonlight night. Usually the bathhouse was brimming with activity at this time, it being a nocturnal operation, so it was odd to see and hear so little going on. She sighed. It would be a long time before things would get back to normal - if ever.
 
A soft groan reached Lin's ears and she turned immediately to see Haku's head lolling to one side. She rushed to the dragon's side and immediately dabbed a cool cloth on his forehead. She turned to No Face.
 
“Can you get him a glass of water?” she asked quietly, as not to disturb Boh. No Face gave his unique nod and drifted from the room in search of water for the afflicted dragon. Lin turned back to the river spirit and put a hand to his cheek. It was burning up though he was shivering.
 
He's getting worse.
 
The door opened and Lin looked up, expecting No Face to drift in with the glass of water but instead dropped the rag from her hands in shock. Zeniba walked into the room, followed by her sister and…
 
“Sen!”