Star Wars - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Star Wars X-Wing: Knight Squadron ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Star
Wars
X-Wing
 
Knight Squadron
 
 
Dramatis Personae
 
The Knights
Capt. Aidan Hunter (human male from Avalon)
Cmdr. Ru Murleen (human female from Commenor)
Cmdr. Merrick Simms (human male from Tanaab)
Lt. Heero Yuy (human male from ?)
Lt. Trowa Barton (human male from ?)
Lt. Duo Maxwell (human male from Ord Mantell)
Lt. Quatre Winner (human male from Coruscant)
Lt. Wufei Chang (human male from Chiana II)
David Walker (human male from Churba)
Seku Passik (Twi'Lek female from Ryloth)
Savoch “Heavyarms” (Wookie male from Kashyyk)
Herian In'gare (Bith female from Bith)
 
R2-X2 (Aidan's R2 astromech)
Blue (Ru's R2 astromech)
Zero (Heero's R2 astromech)
Heavy (Trowa's R5 astromech)
Buddy (Duo's R5 astromech)
Sandrock (Quatre's R3 astromech)
Nataku (Wufei's R2 astromech)
 
The Rebellion
General Carlist Riekken (human male from Coruscant)
Colonel Karsan Lin (human male from Aldderan)
Capt. Wedge Antilles (human male from Corellia)
Cmdr. Ragab (Mon Calamari male from Mon Calamari)
Lt. Zeches Marquise (human male from Chandrilla)
Lt. Lucrezia Noin (human female from Corellia)
Col. Trieze Kushrenada (human male from Coruscant)
Cmdr. Une (human female from Coruscant)
 
 
Imperial Forces
Vintaa Needa (human male from Coruscant)
Loror Raccira (human male from Sluis Van)
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 1
 
“Things go from bad to worse lately,” thought Lieutenant Aidan Hunter as he walked down the corridor of the Alliance frigate, Vengeance of Derra IV. Recently things had gone very bad for the Rebel Alliance. First it had been the massacre at Derra IV. A convoy that had been transporting materials absolutely vital to the Alliance had been completely smashed by an Imperial ambush. Only a week ago had been the battle of Hoth and Aidan had fought hard in Rogue Squadron during that battle. The main Rebel base there had been destroyed which had been a serious, but not completely fatal, blow to the Alliance.
“And that's why I'm here,” thought Aidan. He felt that the task ahead would be more difficult than many of the battles he had fought against the Empire. He was going to convince General Riekken to form a new X-Wing squadron. If he succeeded then that would be as big a feat as the death of the Death Star.
 
“Come in,” called General Carlist Riekken. Aidan entered the office that was Riekken's domain and delivered a crisp salute, which the General returned wearily. The Battle of Hoth was still affecting the man.
“Sit down Lieutenant. Have some caf. So what brings you to my office?” Aidan decided it would be best to get straight to the point with the General.
“Sir I request permission to create a new X-Wing squadron sir.” Riekken arched his eyebrows.
“Are you aware Lieutenant that supplies of such craft are extremely limited at this time?”
“Yes sir.”
Then why ask Lieutenant?”
“Sir our supplies are running low and so is morale. What I want to do is create a squadron with no specific mission objective, just like Rogue Squadron. I want to do this for several reasons. First we need as many elite and talented pilots out there, fighting the Empire, as we can. Second we've been losing a lot of pilots lately and we need to bring newly trained pilots into the fold quickly. Finally I believe that I can better serve the rebellion in command of my own squadron, since I think that my time is Rogue Squadron has prepared me for it.”
“Rogue Squadron isn't good enough for you?”
“Rogue Squadron will always be good enough for me, but I think that elite pilot/squad leaders would be… tactically wise.” Riekken sat there, contemplating. Final the General sat.
“Attention!” he said and Aidan sprang to his feet, “All right lieutenant, I can see the sense in your idea, so consider yourself promoted to the rank of brevet Captain. You do realize that not many pilots are willing to join up within us after the aforementioned battles of Hoth and Derra IV? `Cause if you want this squad you are going to have to borrow and beg and maybe even steal after a fashion. And that won't be pretty. Do you understand?”
“Yes sir!”
“Good. Now pack your bags, grab your X-wing and head over to Kollador Base. I believe you know it?”
“Yes sir!”
“Dismissed,” Aidan saluted and began to walk out,” Oh and lieutenant? The reason I gave you the rank of brevet Captain was because if this fighter squad of yours hasn't proved itself within three months you can consider yourself a Rogue again. But if this little experiment of yours does work then you can consider your promotion permanent. Understood?”
“Yes sir!”
“Then go!” Aidan saluted again and then walked out of the office and didn't let the big scream of joy escape him until he was in his quarters.
 
The Kollador system was only a few light years away from Tatooine, which made it very convenient for a fighter-training base. As Aidan approached the planet a dozen different emotions filled him. He had completed his training as a fighter pilot here at the tender age of 16. He was also beginning to wonder if it had been such a good idea to leave his home world in the border of the Unknown Regions, and go gallivanting off into space. He had only sent four messages home in the last five years. One to tell his family that he had become a Rebellion pilot, one to tell them about the battle of Yavin, one to tell them about his transfer to Rogue squadron, and one he had sent a few days after Hoth. Of course it was quite likely, with security procedures in place, that he would be able to deliver the messages in person. He was also wondering about his decision to leave the Rogues and start his own squad. He had met many of his best friends in the squad. Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilles, Janson, and Hobbie to name a few. But just about half of Rogue Squadron had perished at Hoth, along with Dack Ralter and Zev Senesca, and Luke had apparently gone to train to be a Jedi Knight!
But he waved away those doubts and reveled in the fact that that he was about to start his own squadron. As he settled his X-wing down in the hangar, he was bubbling with excitement. As he opened his cockpit, he saw Wes Janson and Derek “Hobbie” Klivan.
“Wes! Hobbie! What the sithspawn are you guys doing here?”
“Wait! We can't talk to an ex-Rogue!” said Janson.
“That's right,” said Hobbie, “we must shun him! They both turned their backs to him as if he weren't worth their time.
“I'm not amused,” said Aidan. Janson and Hobbie turned around and shook his hand. Aidan grinned and rolled his eyes, used to the pair's eternally sarcastic attitudes.
“So what are you two doing here?”
“Didn't General Riekken tell you?” said Janson exaggerating high astonishment, “All of Rogue Squadron has been assigned here to rebuild.”
“Well then if all the boys are here, let's find the nearest Tapcaf and knock down a couple,” said Aidan throwing his arms around their shoulders.
“But I thought you didn't drink!” said the two Rogues in unison.
“I don't,” said Aidan, pleased that he had caught them off guard, “ but we always hang out in the bar, and I still have to get you back for that time you spiked my drink with Whyren's Reserve…”