Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Not Alone ❯ Chapter 4

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Luckily for Chris, Percival was out at the riding track. She wanted to talk to Borus alone, without making a huge scene. And she really didn’t want to deal with Percival, of all people. She hesitated outside of the door. Why was she so nervous? This was right, she knew it to be true. She chuckled at how the thought of this conversation scared her more than any battle she had ever fought. Summoning up her courage, Chris knocked on the door.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Borus was sitting at his desk attempting to do some paperwork. He hated this part of being a knight. The Council required detailed documentation of everything. Usually Salome would handle it, or sometimes Percival, but occasionally Borus was asked to help out. This was one of those times. However, his mind kept wandering. He wanted to put a note to Lady Chris in the Suggestion Box, but he was never sure how she’d react these days. Besides, he couldn’t make up his mind as to what to say to her.

Someone was knocking on his door. Who could that be, he wondered. “Come in!”

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Chris took a deep breath. Well, here goes nothing, she thought as she opened the door. “Hello, Borus.”

Borus stood up. He was surprised to see the silver-haired knight standing there. She looked… uneasy. She wasn’t looking at him and she kept shifting her weight from foot to foot. “Is something bothering you, Lady Chris?”

“Um…” Just say it… “Borus, I want to talk to you.”

Borus wasn’t quite sure what she meant. “Milady?”

“Goddess, must you make this even more difficult than it already is?”

It suddenly dawned on Borus what Chris was having so much trouble saying. He sat down on the bed. Chris paced in front of him, unsure of how to proceed.

“Lady Chris?”

“All right. Now let me talk without interruption, okay? Because if you stop me, I may not have the courage to continue. Agreed?”

Borus nodded.

Chris began speaking quickly, uncertainly, until she was able to fall into a rhythm. “For so long I’ve relied on myself. You know all that. How I couldn’t be seen as weak or too much like a woman. I could never get too close to anyone. I guess that started when I lost my father, I never really had the chance to know him. It’s strange how I can be surrounded by all these people, have these wonderful friends, and yet still feel alone. I know now that I have myself to blame. Because when I look back, I know that you were always there. You were always there to offer assistance in any way you could. You always asked, and I always turned you down. Thinking back on it, I can’t imagine how you’re still even around.”

Chris paused. Borus smiled shyly as he saw that she was only joking.

“You were always there, Borus, though I gave you nothing in return. No, don’t say it,” Chris said as Borus attempted to get a word in, “you promised, remember? Salome was the only one I ever told anything to, and even he received little. Mostly only what pertained to the mission. And yet it was always you. I see that now. Isn’t it silly how it took a few dreams to make me see what was there all along?”

Chris was sitting on the bed now, gazing into Borus’s eyes. “I could talk forever, about how much I regret my actions, how much I missed out, why I did it. But that’s not really important now. The bottom line is, I was afraid. Afraid to let you in because of what might happen. Afraid to say what I really felt. I know better now, and yet still I’m afraid to say it. I know it to be true, and yet it’s still so hard to put it into words!”

Chris took Borus’s hands in hers. “The past doesn’t matter anymore. What matters is us, here, now. I know that you know what I feel for you, but I need to say it and you deserve to hear it. So, I…” She breathed deeply. “Borus, I love you.”

Borus’s world was spinning. He felt such immense joy, such that he had never felt before. Yes, he had told her he knew it, but to actually hear those words coming from the lips of the one he loved with all his being, the one he had thought for so long would never, could never, feel the same… He could hardly believe it was real. Surely it was only dream, he would wake up and it would all be gone. Borus shut his eyes and opened them again. No, she was still here! His goddess, his angel. He couldn’t think straight, so he did the first thing that came to mind.“I love you, Lady Chris.” Borus leaned in to kiss her. This kiss was so very different from their first, soft and gentle, full of the longing each had felt for so long. Then they pulled away, Borus trying to look affronted but failing miserably as Chris began to laugh.

“What’s so funny? Should I be offended?”

“Certainly not, Borus! But I have no idea why I’m laughing. I’m just so happy, and I feel silly because I ran for so long from something so amazing.”

Borus laughed then, too. “Yes, milady, you can be dumb sometimes.”

“Oh, you think so, do you? Maybe I-” Borus silenced her with another kiss. Chris willingly obliged, threading her fingers through his blond locks.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

A while later, Chris and Borus were sitting comfortably together in silence. Chris maneuvered herself in Borus’s arms so she could look him in the face. “I don’t want to keep this a secret, Borus. I’d like to tell the other knights all at once.”

“Of course, milady. Why don’t we do it now?”

“I’d like that.”

“So, why don’t you get Louis and Salome, and I will get Percival, Leo, and Roland?”

Chris nodded her agreement. They stood up and walked towards the door.

“I’ll see you in a bit then, Borus.” Chris kissed him on the cheek and left.

As she shut the door behind her, Chris was startled to find Percival waiting outside of it. “Percival! You scared me. I wasn’t expecting to see you.”

“I’m sorry, Lady Chris. I’ve just returned from a stint at the race track.”

“Oh, well, Borus was going to tell you, but I guess I’ll just say it. I’d like all the Mighty Knights to gather in my room. There’s something I want to say.”

“Oh?” Percival asked curiously. “What’s it all about?”

Chris blushed and turned away. “Nothing, really, I’d rather wait till we’re all together.” She walked in the direction of Louis’s room.

Percival felt a sinking feeling in his chest. Please let me be interpreting this wrong… He entered his room.

Borus looked up. “Percival, I was just going to see you. Lady Chris requested-”

“Yes, yes, I’ve just seen her. She told me already. But she wouldn’t tell me what it was about. You’ll tell me, won’t you, Borus? Sort of a sneak preview?”

Borus avoided looking straight at Percival and moved towards the door. “I don’t think I should say anything. It’s for Chris to do. I’ll see you later.” He hurriedly made his exit.

Percival sat down and put his head in his hands. “No…”

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Borus found Leo and Roland out training with Juan, the Bujutsu master. He waited for them to finish what they were doing, knowing that he wouldn’t want to be interrupted during a training session.

Leo stomped over to where Borus was leaning against a fence. “Borus! Waiting your turn?”

“No, actually, Leo. I’m here to relay a message from Chris.”

Leo perked up at that. “Oh yes?”

“Lady Chris requests the presence of each of the Six Mighty Knights in her room as soon as possible, so that she can speak with them all together,” the blond knight spoke as if reading from an official message scroll.

“Battle information, right? She wants to make sure we’re briefed about attack formations!” The Iron Knight seemed quite excited about this new development.

“Um, not exactly…”

“Then what is it? Spit it out, Borus!”

Borus was unwilling to divulge any information. “Lady Chris merely wants to speak with us all…” He trailed off. He began walking, hoping Leo would take it at that.

“What’s with all the secrecy? Seems odd to me!” No such luck.

Roland spoke up for the first time. “Lady Chris probably wishes to tell us about her and Borus.” Borus stopped dead in his tracks.

“Eh?” Leo turned towards Roland.

“Their new relationship.”

“Relationship!” Leo fumed. “Is this true, Borus?!”

Borus looked as though he wished a hole would appear and swallow him up. “Um…”

“Out with it!”

Borus resignedly admitted, “I’m afraid so…”

“What!” Leo whipped out his axe and began waving it around. “How could this be? I can’t believe it! Borus!” He embedded the axe halfway into an enormous tree and leaned on his knees, breathing heavily. Borus was glad the axe hadn’t ended up in his skull.

Roland sighed. “I’m not surprised. I knew that it would happen someday. Ah well. I suppose we’ll all have to find someone else.”

Leo scowled. “As if any other woman could possibly measure up to Lady Chris.” He looked Borus up and down. “At least it’s one of us, though; I shudder to think of her with someone like that Nash. Would have thought she’d pick someone of larger stature, though…”

Borus and Roland stared at Leo oddly.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Borus, Leo, and Roland all entered Chris’s room. Leo and Roland each sat down at the table, joining Louis and Salome. Borus was unsure of whether he should stand next to Chris or not. Eventually he decided on standing next to the bed, relatively close to her position at the window, but far enough away so he didn’t feel as though he were crowding her. Percival stood off to the side by himself.

Chris took a quick look around the room and decided she should get started. She took a deep breath to steady herself. She glanced at Borus, who gave her what he hoped was a reassuring smile. “I suppose you’re all wondering why I asked you to be here.”

Leo grunted. Chris looked at him for a second and decided to ignore him. “I suppose the easiest way to do this is to just say it. Borus and I… have decided to pursue a relationship.” She looked up nervously.

Salome was the only one who appeared a bit surprised. Louis beamed at Chris and Borus (he had already resigned himself to the fact that he was too young for his Lady Chris and was content to simply admire her from afar). An angry expression passed over Percival’s face, but before anyone noticed it had been replaced by a mask of cool indifference.

Chris was a little put off by the silence in the room. Borus walked over to her and put a hand on her shoulder. She smiled gratefully at him.

Salome was the first to speak. Despite the ache he felt in his heart, he felt as though he should say something to put Chris at ease. He stood up. “Well, good for you, Lady Chris. And you, Borus. I’m sure you’ll be very happy. It is good for us to turn to others for comfort in these difficult times.”

“Thank you, Salome,” Chris said. She looked into Salome’s caring brown eyes and felt as though an understanding passed between them.

Roland stood up also. “Yes, indeed. It often takes a dark period for one to be able to appreciate what has always been there.”

Chris and Borus exchanged a glance at that, each fully realizing the truth behind the elf’s words.

Leo stood menacingly in front of Borus. “You’d better take of her or you’ll have to answer to me.”

Borus saluted him.

“Are we dismissed, then?”

Chris was a bit disconcerted as she heard Percival. “Er, yes, I suppose that’s all.”

Percival brushed past her without saying anything, throwing Borus a contemptuous look. The other knights followed him out, leaving only Chris, Borus, and Louis.

Louis came over to the couple. “Lady Chris, Sir Borus, I’m very happy for you. I wish you the best.”

“Thank you, Louis,” Chris said smiling, as her squire left the room. She turned to Borus. “Well, I’m certainly glad that’s over. Did Percival seem a bit upset to you?”

Borus shrugged. “I’m sure he’s fine, milady. I’ll talk to him.”

Chris nodded. “I would feel a lot better if I knew he was alright.”

A knock came at the door. It was Salome.

“Salome? Is something the matter?”

“No, milady, but I think you should come to the meeting hall. There’s some people here you should see.”

Chris glanced worriedly at Borus. “All right.”

The blond knight nodded. “I’ll talk to Percival.”

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Percival stood at the window in the room he shared with Borus, staring out into space. He felt… too many emotions. He didn’t know what he felt. Disappointment, anger, betrayal, disbelief. He hadn’t spoken at the little gathering in Chris’s room because he had been afraid that he might have exploded, or burst into tears. He wasn’t sure which.

He tried to tell himself that he could have any girl he wanted. He had loads of admirers, and certainly flirted with a lot of girls. But there was only one he wanted. There had always been one. But now…

Percival didn’t turn as he heard Borus come into the room. He pretended he hadn’t noticed. He didn’t want to have to talk to his “friend” now…

“You were unusually silent during the meeting, Percival.” Don’t talk to me… “Lady Chris is worried.”

“Oh, is she? Why don’t you go comfort her, then? Give her your shoulder to cry on. It’s what you always wanted, isn’t it?” Percival gritted out.

“What’s the matter with you, Percival? You aren’t acting like yourself,” Borus said, concerned.

“As if you don’t know? And like you care, anyway.”

Borus frowned. “Is this about Lady Chris? Because you know I never meant to hurt you, Percival. I can’t help how things turned out.”

Percival snapped. “Oh, you can’t help it, can you? That’s a load of crap, and you know it! This is what you wanted all along, so don’t go around saying you didn’t mean for it to happen!”

“Fine, then! I wanted it to happen! Yes, I won’t deny that. I love Lady Chris and I’m glad that she feels the same way. But I swear I didn’t want to cause you any distress, Percival. Believe that, at least!” Borus was fighting a losing battle to keep his temper. He’d never seen Percival so furious before.

“Oh, that’s rich. Just don’t even try, okay? Nothing you can say will ever make this any better!”

“Percival, you’re my best friend. I don’t want to lose you over this! It’s silly!”

“It’s silly? You think this is silly?!” Percival was shouting now. “Because I can’t seem to find the humor in it! I lost the woman I love to my best friend! You can’t have any idea how that feels, so just… just forget it!”

“Goddess, I can’t believe you! Can’t you just be glad for Chris and I? We’re happy! If you love Chris so much, just be thankful she’s happy! Just be my friend, be her friend, like you’ve always been.”

“You just don’t get it, do you? You won! I lost! If you think I can be happy for you, you’re dumber than I thought. We can never go back to the way we were. You’ve seen to that. Just leave me be!”

“Fine! Percival, you’ve always had my respect, but now I’ve seen something else in you. I’ll never be able to see you the same way again.”

“Will you just leave already! You’ve already lost my respect, <i>friend<i>. I can’t seem to care that the man who said he was my best friend and then betrayed me doesn’t respect me.”

Borus slammed the door behind him without replying.

Percival sank down onto his bed. The anger was leaving him now, and he was left with a wave of grief. Not caring whether it made him seem weak, he began to cry.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Chris made her way wearily back to her bedroom. Borus sat waiting for her. He pushed his argument with Percival to the back of his mind. “So, what’s the news, Lady Chris?”

“I’ve just had a talk with Sasarai and Dios.”

Borus leaped to his feet. “What?! Dios and Sasarai! Those stinking Harmonians… Are they still here? I’ll kill them!”

Chris put her hands up. “No, it’s all right, Borus.” She was laughing a bit at his outburst. “They want out. They gave us vital information about Luc’s plans. Believe me, I didn’t trust them, but they are here to help. Goddess knows we could use someone of Sasarai’s power on our side.”

Borus grudgingly took his seat. “Well, if you’re sure, Lady Chris. What did they tell you?”

Chris sat down next to the other knight. “I don’t want to think about any of that right now.” She sighed and leaned against Borus, who put his arms around her. “Tell me about Percival. Is he all right?”

Damn. Borus had been hoping she wouldn’t ask about that. He didn’t want to worry her further, or make her doubt her decision to pursue a relationship with him. “Oh, he’ll be fine. Just having some trouble with women.” He hoped she would let it go at that.

“Percival? Trouble with women?” Chris chuckled. “I’ve no doubt he’ll be able to work it out.”

Borus smiled weakly. She had bought it.

They sat in silence for a while, enjoying their closeness.

“Lady Chris, there’s something I… I need to tell you.”

“Of course, Borus, you know you can tell me anything.” Chris was concerned at the downcast tone of Borus’s voice.

“I know I can, but…” Borus hesitated. He knew he had to tell her about what he’d done at Karaya Village, he should have told her a long time ago. But he was afraid of what her reaction would be, that she would reject him, send him away in disgrace. And whatever she did, he would deserve it. He stood up and moved across the room.

“Borus, please tell me. I can see it’s hurting you,” Chris pleaded. “After all, weren’t you the one who always encouraged talking?”

The blond knight merely continued to stare blankly at the ground. Chris walked over and put a hand on his shoulder. At first he shied away, but then he took both her hands in his and forced himself to meet her eyes. “When I told you about Karaya Village, when I told you I didn’t kill those people… It wasn’t true. It was me.” He waited for her to recoil in disgust.

However, Chris’s lavender eyes showed only love and… understanding. “Borus, it’s all right.”

“No! It’s not all right! It’ll never be all right! Don’t you get it? I killed them! They were civilians, innocent women and children! And I killed them!” Borus dropped Chris’s hands and fought to regain control of his emotions.

Chris reached out and took his face in her hands. “Yes, Borus, I do get it. Have you forgotten what I did that night? I killed that little boy.”

“That’s different,” Borus insisted.

“No, it’s not. He was just a child, and I killed him. Look at me, Borus. I love you. I know that you are a good man. We were all upset that night. You lost control, and what you did was wrong. But it’s all right. We all make mistakes. Goddess knows I have. I can see how you regret it. And for what it’s worth, I forgive you.” Chris hoped that she had gotten through to him.

“How can you forgive me?” the blond knight asked sadly. “I can’t even forgive myself. I’m a murderer. A disgrace to the name of Zexen and the Six Mighty Knights. You don’t want someone like that fighting next to you.”

“On the contrary, Borus. You are exactly the kind of person I want by my side at the end. Because I know you. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I’ve seen your kindness and your strength. Your courage, your desire to do what’s right and to fight for your people. I’ve seen also your quick temper, your impatience and your hot-headedness. I’ve seen the best and worst of you and I understand with perfect clarity what you are. You are a hell of a man. And I love you. You’re the one, Borus,” Chris said gently.

Borus looked at his lady with such love and admiration that Chris was warmed to her very soul. “And she shall look on him with forgiveness and everybody will forgive and love… and he will be loved,” Borus murmured softly. He broke down then, buried his face into Chris’s shoulder and cried. She just held him.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Borus didn’t feel up to seeing Percival. Besides, Percival would probably shut him out anyway. So he went to someone he knew would be willing to help him out. “Louis? It’s Borus. Can I come in?”

Louis opened the door. “Of course, sir, come in.”

Borus stepped inside. He wasn’t sure exactly what to say.

“Sir Borus? Did you need anything?”

“Um, well, actually… I was wondering if you’d mind if I slept here tonight.”

Louis frowned. “Of course, I don’t mind. But if you don’t mind my asking, did you have a disagreement with Percival?”

Borus sighed and nodded.

“I see. It was about Lady Chris, wasn’t it?”

Borus was mildly surprised. “You see everything, don’t you Louis?”

The young boy shrugged. “I suppose. I think most everyone knew that you both loved Lady Chris. Except for maybe Lady Chris herself.”

Borus sat down. “I hate to fight with Percival. He’s been my best friend for years. He can be rather irritating at times, but I don’t want to lose his friendship. I never realized how much he meant to me until this whole mess, when I couldn’t really talk to him. I didn’t mean to hurt him. I love Lady Chris, but I think I love him too, in a way.”

“Don’t feel badly, Sir Borus. You haven’t done anything wrong. But neither has Sir Percival. He has a right to be upset. I’m sure you would be too, had your positions been reversed.”

The fair-haired knight couldn’t deny that. “I just don’t know what to do, Louis.”

Louis patted Borus’s shoulder reassuringly. “Don’t worry, Sir Borus. It’ll all work out.”

“I hope so. How did you get to be so wise anyway, Louis?”

The squire just smiled in response.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

“What is it?” Percival yelled angrily at whomever it was knocking at his door.

“Sir Percival, I’d like to talk to you,” came Louis’s voice.

“Fine, come in, then. I was afraid it was Borus,” Percival said as Louis stepped into the room.

“No, it’s only me. But I want to talk about Sir Borus,” Louis said, fixing the knight with his bright green eyes.

“All right then, out with it,” Percival said with a sigh.

Louis began to speak in a voice taut with suppressed anger that Percival had never expected to hear from the usually cheerful boy. “Sir Borus is very upset, you know. Do you even realize what he’s had to deal with these past few weeks?”

Percival only shrugged uncaringly. “Do you know what I’ve had to deal with? He’s got the good end of the arrangement, I’d say.”

“But that’s where you’re wrong, sir. This has been just as hard for him. Yes, he’s managed to finally get through to Lady Chris, but only after a struggle. He’s been insulted, poked fun at, humiliated, and turned aside at every attempt.” Percival looked up in disbelief. “It’s been far from easy, Sir Percival! But he did it. He did it because he had the courage to face his feelings, the courage to risk pain and rejection because he knew he could help Lady Chris. And he did it with no assistance from you, his best friend. He’s had no one to talk to, no one to confide in, no one to comfort him all the times he was hurt. And sir, I hope you’re ashamed of yourself, if you don’t mind my saying.”

Percival could only stare after in shock as Louis walked out of the room.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

<i>The Next Day<i>

Borus exited the room only to find himself face-to-face with Percival. He decided to ignore the other knight and headed towards the stairs.

“Borus, wait. Don’t be like that.”

“Don’t be like what? I think we said all we needed to say yesterday. If you’ll excuse me, there’s a meeting I need to attend.” Borus continued walking.

“Can’t you see I want to apologize? If you would just give me a chance…”

Borus came to a halt and turned around. “What?”

Percival looked down at the ground. If Borus hadn’t known better, he would have thought the ever-confident Percival was actually nervous. “It’s just… I- I’m sorry. I realize now that I made a mistake. I’ve been terribly selfish. I never even considered how difficult this must have been for you. I’m supposed to be your best friend, and yet I let my own feelings get in the way. When you needed someone to talk to the most, I wasn’t there for you. So- I’m sorry.”

The blond knight took a step closer to his friend. He looked up with shame clouding his handsome features. “No, I’m sorry, Percival. I’ve been trying to place all the blame upon you, but that isn’t fair. I was too selfish to even recognize that you were hurting. I was thinking only of my own problems, and never stopped to think about how my situation was affecting you. So, I’m sorry.”

The dark-haired man smiled with the characteristic spark back in his eyes. “We both have been rather stupid, haven’t we?”

Borus chuckled. “That we have. Friends?” He reached out a hand.

Percival took it. “Friends.”

From where he was standing in the shadows, Louis smiled.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Chris looked around at the sea of faces gathered before her in the bright sunlight on the deck of the ship. So many different people, different races. It was amazing how they had all banded together to face the common threat of Harmonia. Zexens, Lizards, Karayans, Ducks. Some from Alma Kinan, from Chisha, from Tinto, from numerous other places. Even some from Harmonia- mercenaries, Calerians, Le Buquians, and the biggest surprise of all- Sasarai and Dios. And all these people looked to her, to Chris, to the Flame Champion, for leadership. That definitely scared her.

Chris had noticed Borus and Percival come in together. She was relieved to see them chatting amicably. Despite Borus’s reassurances, Chris had been worried that something was amiss between them. And she thought she knew what- who- it was. She wasn’t completely oblivious.

It seemed like everyone was present. Chris couldn’t put this off any further, so she took a deep breath and began.

“I’ve been looking around at all of you here today, and all I can think of is how proud it makes me. It makes me proud to see how people who just weeks before were enemies can put aside their differences in the face of a common evil. But I certainly will not take all of the credit. The credit belongs to all of you. You are the ones who should be proud. Remember that as we face the final battle.”

“For those of you who do not know, yesterday two more joined our army. Their names are Sasarai and Dios.” The crowd began whispering excitedly amongst themselves, but were silenced by a stern look from Chris. “I know what you all are thinking. They are high-ranking Harmonians. They are the ones we are fighting. But they have come with valuable information. They wish to help, and I welcome it. I believe that anyone may join in our struggle if they so desire, no matter what they have done in the past. For aren’t we all forgetting past indiscretions, if only temporarily? We have all done things we are not proud of,” Chris’s eyes met Borus’s for a second and she smiled at him, “but that doesn’t matter now. Now, we are here as allies. We will all do our part to keep our freedom.”

“From Sasarai we have learned that Luc has gathered the True Runes together, intending to destroy his own True Wind Rune. This would mean the destruction of the Grasslands." There was an audible gasp of disbelief from the crowd. "We know where he plans to perform the ritual. Caesar has suggested an all-out attack at the Ceremonial Site in order to gain entry. From there we will try and retake the runes, and defeat Luc."

“So now we must prepare for what will be the final string of battles. It won’t be easy. We face a formidable foe, and even with the strategists and fighters we have on our side, some of you may die. I can’t tell you that everything will work out, because it may not. Most of you present here have already lost friends and family members, and you may lose more. All I can tell you is to trust in what we are trying to accomplish, trust in yourselves and in each other. We have faced dire odds before and were victorious. We have accomplished an amazing thing here, and I ask you to just do a little more.”

Chris stepped down to tremendous applause. She blushed slightly at the attention and hurried over to where Borus was standing. He gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek and said, “You were magnificent, Lady Chris!”

She smiled and kissed him softly, saying, “You were my inspiration.”

Borus turned crimson.

Percival flinched and backed away from the display of affection, but decided he should say something to prove to Borus he really was okay with the situation. He plastered a smile on his face and went over to the happy couple.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

<i>Two Weeks Later<i>

Borus and Chris walked side by side through the courtyard of Brass Castle. Borus smiled as he looked around at the bustle of Zexen life. Children played in the street while their parents visited the shops, traders tried to get good deals for their wares, and knights hurried here and there with various tasks. Chris glanced over at her partner. "What are you smiling about, Borus?"

He turned to her. "Why, it's a beautiful day out, Lady Chris! Why not smile? I'm still just so happy to be here. I really did miss it, you know. The sights, the sounds, the people. Like they say, there's no place like home."

Chris couldn't help but smile herself at Borus's almost childlike enthusiasm. "You're right, of course, Borus. Sometimes it's so easy for me to ignore simple pleasures like this."

Borus took Chris's hand in his and kissed it. "That's because you have so much to handle, Lady Chris. But why not forget all about the past few months, and just enjoy today for today?"

The Zexen Captain hesitated for a moment, thinking of the work she still had to do. But then she took in the bright sunshine, the blue sky, and of course, the eager knight beside her. Paperwork and a visit to the Council just didn't seem so appealing right then. Chris laughed suddenly. "Why not, indeed? Come, Borus, let's go for a stroll!"

Chris Lightfellow and Borus Redrum were heroes, the both of them, in their own ways. But to any passing stranger, the two knights were just another young couple in love, hardly worth a second glance. And on this day, they would be glad to call themselves so.

The End