Super Smash Brothers Fan Fiction ❯ Devoured ❯ Gaze too deeply into the abyss... ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: The following contains characters and concepts that are not the property of the author. They are the intellectual property of Nintendo. This work of fanfiction is not endorsed by the original creators and is not in any way meant to slander the original work. The author has received no monetary benefit from this posting.

Beta-read by: Byoshi.

Devoured

Ike reeled from the dark dining room. Hands clawed over his ears to stop the sounds that skirled through his skull like a swarm of shrieking bats; eyes closed to block out the mad parade of images marching across his vision, each one more horrible than the last. He had to get away.

But no man could run from his memory. The crunching and slurping and sucking. Those noises would live as part of him forever.

Indoors was no good. The rooms were too much like organs, closed off and cramped.

Ike doubled over, retching. When he straightened the others nearby were watching. Did they know? And if they knew, then were they not insane? Yes. Such calm when quartered with alien horrors–tenets alongside depraved lunacy. Nothing less than madness.

“Stop staring at me! I’m not the mad one here!” he shrieked and hurtled down the stairs.

The others opened their mouths in shock or laughter. Perhaps it was he who laughed–great bubbling peals of psychotic mirth. He could no longer tell. The mere sight of their unhinged faces wracked him with new nausea. He did not stop running until the cool night’s air enveloped his fevered body. The front lawn stretched away empty in the silver moonlight. Out here, nature ruled and things were sane.

There, he coughed into the dirt and wiped the foamed slaver from his lips. He began to pull together his scattered mind by fractions. Then he made the mistake of looking up. The sky stretched out like the lipless maw of a mad god, stars glistening on its black teeth like pieces of unswallowed food. If only it would consume this world as well and be done with it.

“What’s happened to you?” It was Fox, the laguz who piloted metal birds through the heavens. A mercenary, like himself. Perhaps that flimsy bond between them would be enough, here in this strange land so far from friends and family.
“I…I was challenged to an eating contest by Wario. A prideful fool, I accepted.”

Fox chuckled. “I think I know what comes next. And then?”

Ike wiped the fresh foam from his lips and swallowed hard. “Wario tricked me, and in his stead he set a freak at the table before me.” A terrible trembling overtook Ike then. His eyes stared at nothing because that was easiest.

Fox gave him a hard slap across the face. “Stay with me, damnit!”

Ike twitched and sputtered. “Oh goddess! Its eyes! It had the eyes of a child! And then, it began to eat. I could not look away. I gazed into that abyss, and it gazed back. The food that went inside transformed into–“ Ike pointed to the cold stars above.

A furry hand patted his bare shoulder. “There, there soldier. I’ll go get Ness and we’ll remove those nasty memories for good. It’s a lesson hard learned, and we’ve all had to learn it sooner or later. Never, ever watch Kirby eat.”