Tales Of Syphona Fan Fiction ❯ Adbertos ❯ Chapter 12- Recovery ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The sun slowly melted into the horizon, blazing through the glass panes of the inn’s windows. Kratos narrowed his eyes against the blinding glare as he stared out at the city of Asgard. The cliffs were awash in the gold and red of sunset, the buildings and paths built into them soaking up the last of the warmth from the sun to guard their occupants against the chill of night. Kratos stood still and silent as his thoughts drifted, not seeing the city of stone and air but the whitewashed walls of a small room. In his mind he was still back at the House of Salvation and Anna had just said those foolish words.

I killed her.

As the words had left her mouth he had been able to do naught but stare in disbelief. Bratha had recovered first, a scowl on his red, angry face and a sword in his hand. The others had only stared in mute shock, their expressions numb and uncomprehending. Kratos had been exasperated, moving to place himself between the enraged Bratha and the girl who was convinced she was a murderess.

The thought was still ridiculous to Kratos, as many human reactions had become. Elise had been the first to recover her senses, pushing past Kratos and taking Anna’s hands. The swordsman had felt no threat from the woman, only pain and confusion. She had sat at Anna’s feet and gazed up at her.

“What do you mean you killed her?” she had asked. “Did you raise a sword against her?”

“No,” Anna had mumbled.

“Did you give her to the Desians?”

“No.”

“Then how were you responsible for her death?”

Anna had looked up then, her eyes meeting Elise’s and moving around the room. “When I first tried to escape the ranch Maribelle followed me. I knew that if we were caught we would be killed but I let her come with me. I couldn’t protect her and when the Desians found us I ran away and left her.”

Elise nodded, looking at the floor and wiping her eyes. “You didn’t kill her Anna, the Desians did. I’m sure that Maribelle wouldn’t have wanted you to try and protect her; they would have only killed you as well.”

“But if I’d made her stay behind-”

“Then she’d still be dead,” Bronn spoke up. “She would have died either way. At least this way she died free, and her death bought your freedom. Because of her you survived. Because of her sacrifice you are free.”

“But-”

“There is nothing more to say,” Maege cut her off. “Bratha, put your sword away and stop acting like an idiot. You as well Kratos, none of us wish any harm to Anna. Maribelle gave her life that Anna might live and be free. We will honor Maribelle’s sacrifice.”

The memory was as strange to Kratos as the actual event had been. The slavers had denounced their trade there in that room above the House of Salvation. With the knowledge that Maribelle was gone Maege had determined there was no longer any reason for them to continue to work with the Desians.

“There is nothing to be gained from that path,” she had said. “We will return to Asgard.”

Anna had been delighted, informing them that they were heading to Asgard as well. Kratos had not liked that but the damage had been done. Elise had invited them to travel with them; Maege had insisted. The old woman was stubborn and used to getting her way so between her determination and Anna’s enthusiasm Kratos had found himself agreeing to the traveling arrangements.

They had left that very morning, making slow progress with the oxcart that had more than doubled the duration of the journey. Kratos had not been pleased with that either, yet it had been he who had loosed the oxen and the horses thus he could only blame himself. He took turns with the other men relieving the remaining ox in the shafts, keeping guard during the night and protecting the little band along the road.

Bronn had proven an easy traveling companion, speaking only when necessary and working hard. Kratos found himself liking the man despite a determination to maintain indifference. To be sure Bronn had asked a few questions around the campfires at night, wondering at the management of the human ranches and the strength of numbers that held them.

Bratha was a different story. The younger man was bold and outspoken, often boasting of his own accomplishments and eager to prove his worth. It seemed to Kratos that the few words Bronn spoke were the ones left him by his brother. To be fair the man complained little, worked diligently and seemed to need little sleep, but all the same Kratos would be glad to part company with him.

Anna had fairly skipped along the way, delighted with the entire affair. When the ox pulled at the shafts she would sit in the back of the cart with Maege. The old matron was keen to learn everything Anna could recall about life inside the ranch. Other times she would walk along with Elise and Alek, talking and laughing. When they would stop for the evening Anna would help Elise cook and serve, cleaning up afterwards.

Elise had been a balm for the half-wild and frightened girl, something Kratos found himself immensely grateful for. The woman’s calm influence seemed to have transformed Anna from a hysterical child to a more composed young woman. She was still fiercely headstrong but seemed to have better control over her emotions, slowing down the exsphere that fed from her life force and buying them precious time.

Kratos sighed as he turned away from the window and looked around the empty room. They had lingered here for two weeks, something that Kratos had deemed a necessary risk. He was determined to give Anna time to recover and build her strength but there was no denying the fact that they would soon need to be gone.

Bronn and Bratha would be returning from the mission they had been sent out on. The brothers had left Asgard not long after they arrived, setting out on two horses Maege had procured to ‘scout the land’. Though little had been said at the time Kratos had known where the two men were going; dinner with Maege that evening had confirmed it.

“We will finish Maribelle’s work,” Maege had told them, nodding to Elise and Alek. “But we need your help. We need to know all you can tell us about this ranch so that we might help others escape as you did Anna.”

With some feelings of trepidation Kratos had given the old woman as detailed an account of the ranch as he dared; Anna had been less reluctant. She had told them all she knew of the cells where the prisoners were kept and the yards where they worked, the number of guards at the gates and along the corridors. When furnished with ink and paper she had even made a crude map of the compound with some assistance from Kratos.

When Bronn and Bratha returned the former slavers would begin their new trade as rescuers. Maege was constantly hinting that Kratos and Anna would be welcome to join them but there was no question of doing so. They had their own journey and it did not include returning to the Asgard ranch.

“Do you really think so?” Anna’s voice echoed from the hall and a moment later the doorknob turned. She and Elise swept into the room, Anna’s eyes shining. “If they could rebuild Luin that would be wonderful!”

“It is certainly a possibility,” Elise smiled serenely. “Luin is very close to the ranch and would be a good place to bring those we help escape.”

“And one of the first places the Desians will look for their missing prisoners,” Kratos cautioned, breaking into their conversation.

Elise nodded in agreement. “Yes, of course, which is why we would not rebuild Luin right away. As a desolated town it is ideal to hide those we smuggle out, but we’ll have to wait and see what Bronn and Bratha have discovered first.”

“I still think it is a wonderful idea,” Anna insisted.

“Well, we will know more soon I hope,” Elise replied. “I should check in with Alek and Maege. I’ll meet you downstairs in a half hour?”

“Yes,” Anna agreed as Elise left the room.

“Where are you going in a half hour?” Kratos asked, eyeing her curiously as she sat on the bed.

“A ceremony up on the dais,” Anna answered, bouncing lightly on the mattress as she looked up at him. “Elise and I heard about it while we were out. The people of Asgard are going to launch lanterns into the night to honor their ancestors.”

“I have heard about this tradition,” Kratos watched her as she stood and crossed the room.

Anna stopped beside him, her eyes intense and her voice hushed. “There was a man in the shop that said they are also sending the lanterns off to light the way for the Chosen of Regeneration. Supposedly her group is very near.”

Kratos shifted uncomfortably.

“I think it’s wonderful,” Anna said, looking out the window. “Look at all the people! I hope there is enough room at the dais. Do you really think the Chosen could be headed here?”

Kratos looked away, staring at the people heading for the stone alter. “Perhaps.”

“The journey of regeneration,” she said softly, her eyes focused on something beyond the crowds lining the paths. “To see the Chosen would be wonderful, wouldn’t it? She must be very brave and strong and smart, I just know she’ll succeed.”

“It is a dangerous task, to regenerate the world,” Kratos cautioned. “Many Chosens have failed.”

“Not this one,” Anna said, her eyes glinting fiercely. “Martel has surely blessed her. She’ll save the world, I just know it.”

“I hope so,” Kratos replied.

“You should come with us,” Anna said, looking up at him. “Maege and Alek will be coming.”

Kratos watched her uneasily, “If you wish.”

“Well come on then,” she said, smiling and taking his hand. “We should get downstairs. They’ll be waiting for us.”

***

Anna stood in the doorway to the inn, staring around with wide eyes and a grin to match. Throngs of people were making their way along the paths, skirting around the chasm and up the inclines towards the stairway that led up to the stone alter. A brisk wind tugged at her skirt and tussled her hair, giving a slight chill to the night.

“Ready?” Elise asked, grinning at her as they melted into the crowd.

Alek bolted past them, shouting that he’d meet them later as he raced ahead. Elise sighed, staring after her son as Maege chuckled.

“Is it wise for him to go off alone in this crowd?” Kratos asked from behind them.

“Alek is capable of taking care of himself,” Maege assured him. “He has been restless all day. A good run will do wonders for him.”

“Have you seen them launch the lanterns before?” Anna asked, looking at the two women.

“A long time ago,” Maege replied, a small smile tugging the corners of her mouth. “When Bronn was a young boy and Bratha younger still. We would stop here on our journey in time to watch the lanterns and see the maidens dance on the alter.”

“Dance?” Anna looked at her, her brow furrowed and eyes alight with curiosity.

“It is said that the dancers call upon the Summon Spirit of the Wind to guide the lanterns and lead our ancestors safely home,” Elise explained, looking up at the sky. “Many young girls volunteer every year with the hopes of being chosen for the Maiden Ritual.”

Anna smiled, “You seem to know a lot about this Elise.”

“She should,” Maege chuckled. “She was born here.”

“Yes,” Elise smiled warmly. “Long ago I was one of those young girls hoping to be the maiden in the ritual.”

“And were you?”

She shook her head, “No, I’m afraid I wasn’t nearly graceful or poised enough. I did dance with the other girls every year though, when we would send off the lanterns.”

They had reached the bottom of a broad stone staircase jammed with young and old alike ascending to the top. Anna stared at the smooth worn stone as they began to climb, marveling at the heat that still radiated beneath her feet and warmed her against the chill air. Gusts of wind played with the torches that were staked along the stairs to light their way, the firelight flickering in a feral dance.

The gentle mummer of the crowd grew as they climbed, slowly turning into a roar. Anna paused as they gained the top of the stairs, staring in wonder at the festival that surrounded her. Other people spilled around her as she stood in awe, unable to move as she took everything in. Stalls lined a narrow landing, decorated with paper chains and small lanterns. Wonderful smells wafted from that direction - cinnamon and spice, savory and sweet. Just ahead was another short staircase flanked by a wall of stone to either side. At the top of those stairs she could see an enormous slab of stone.

“Anna?” Elise’s voice called from somewhere ahead of her. “Where are you?”

“Here!” Anna called back, standing on her toes and waving a hand above her head. She pushed through the crowd in the direction of Elise’s voice, finding the woman at the foot of the smaller stair with Maege.

A look of relief passed over the woman’s face and she grinned, “So, do you want to see the alter?”

“Yes!” Anna giggled, sprinting up the stairs. “Come on, I’ll race you to the top!” Elise gave a breathless laugh, hurrying after her.

“Perhaps they aren’t so very different than Alek after all,” Maege gave a crooked smile as she slowly began the climb up after them. She glanced to the side, fixing her eye on the silent figure beside her. “You are very quiet tonight Kratos, more than usual. I am thinking you are making plans to leave us. Is this celebration to be our farewell?”

Kratos continued in silence for a moment, his eyes following Anna as she raced ahead of them. “You are more intuitive than I had credited you, but I believe we both knew this arrangement must soon end.”

“Yes,” Maege agreed, bowing her head. “We shall enjoy one another’s company awhile longer, and then may Martel follow wherever you go.”

Anna stopped before the alter, panting as she stared at the massive stone. It was roughly square, the four corners marked with tall square columns topped with statues of winged beings.

Not angels, Anna thought as she studied them. Their wings aren’t right.

The main slab of the alter was nearly as tall as she was but she could just see the surface if she stood on her toes. The fluttering light of the torches threw odd shadows across the stone, but she was sure there was some odd, circular design on the ruin.

A gaggle of girls far to her left caught her attention and she turned to watch them. The youngest was perhaps ten years old, the eldest nearly a woman grown. All were dressed identically in flowing crimson pants with a cream tunic trimmed in white and crimson. The tunic was belted around with a rope the color of rust and all wore a fringed half-apron. Upon their heads each wore an elaborate headdress of cream piped in crimson.

“Those are the dancers,” Elise said, following her gaze. “They wear the costume of the Maiden Ritual.”

“They’re so beautiful,” Anna said, still watching the girls as they shuffled amongst themselves.

“Just wait until they take the alter and begin their dance,” Elise told her. “It isn’t as intricate as the actual Maiden Ritual since there are so many of them, but it is just as beautiful.”

“Elise? Anna?” Maege’s voice called from behind them. “Come over here and get your lanterns.”

“Come on,” Elise grinned, taking Anna’s hand. “Best do as she says.”

They turned away from the girls, hurrying over to join Maege where she stood in line behind a table set up to the right of the alter. The wait was not long and soon each was armed with a small candle and a paper lantern.

“Let’s find a spot and then we’ll get our lanterns ready,” Maege instructed. “Near one of the torches would be nice.”

As they walked through the crowd searching for a likely spot Anna became aware that one of their number was missing. “Where is Kratos?”

“I sent him to find that grandson of mine,” Maege replied. “Alek should have been waiting for us at the alter. Scamp is probably trading at the stalls.”

Pushing through a group of students they found Kratos and Alek standing next to one of the torches lining the hillside.

“Perfect,” Maege declared as she approached them. “You have found Alek and secured us an excellent site to launch the lanterns from.”

“Alek, if you are going to launch a lantern you had best go and fetch one,” Elise told her son. “The line isn’t bad if you hurry.”

“Yes ma’am!”

Maege dug through a pouch at her belt, pulling out a few brightly colored sticks of wax. “Not much left, but there should be enough to write our messages.”

Elise took up a stick the color of sunset while the one Maege worked with was the same crimson the dancers wore. Anna watched them for a moment as they carefully marked the sides of their lanterns with names. Susann, Marlin, Issak, Rakasia, Maribelle…

Alek returned with his lantern and immediately set about decorating the sides with images of birds and flowers. “Maribelle loved birds,” he mumbled under his breath. “This one is just for her.”

Anna turned back to her lantern, staring at the crisp white rice paper. Who would her lantern guide? She closed her eyes, bowing her head in thought. There were so many names that came to mind. Maribelle, obviously, and the others who had died in the Asgard ranch. Her mother and all the people of Luin who had suffered at the hands of the Desians.

Tears swam in her eyes and she rubbed a sleeve across her face to clear them. Looking down at the sticks of wax she took up one the color of Lake Sinoa. With a glance at Alek’s lantern she began to write the names of those she knew in Luin, forming each name into the shape of a wave. Exchanging the blue wax for a stick of green she began writing more names in the shapes of wide leaves that floated on the surface of her lake. To these she added names in the form of petals, dotting the water with pale pink water lilies.

She held the lantern out, examining her work. The names of all those she could recall in Luin and at the ranch were there, but one more remained. Reaching for a nub of yellow wax Anna carefully crafted a bright yellow bird in flight over her lake, its body formed from the name Maribelle.

“Here.”

Anna looked up to find Kratos extending a candle. She climbed to her feet, holding the lantern steady while Kratos lit the fuel supply. Looking around she found that the torches had all been extinguished and the crowds were hushed. Maege and Elise stood next to her holding their lanterns, their faces glowing in the quivering light. Alek stood nearby, holding one side of his lantern while another child took the other. Turning her attention back to her own lantern she found Kratos watching her as he steadied the other side.

The lantern glowed between them, the paper crackling as it expanded with the heat contained within it. The fluttering firelight reminded her of that night not so long ago when they had first met, how he had watched her from across the fire.

Warmth flooded over her hands and through her body as she cast her eyes down at the lantern suspended between them, the weight gradually diminishing. Gasps of pleasure drew her attention away, towards other lanterns that were beginning to rise into the night sky. Her gaze followed them as they began to drift up on the breeze, a procession of lanterns following them.

Alek’s sound of delight and Elise’s mummer of contentment drew her attention back as her own lantern began to lift away. She watched as the rim of the lantern broke contact with her fingertips, hovering slightly as it began to ascend into the sky. Her gaze followed the glowing balloon as it drifted towards the other lanterns flying above, carried away on the breeze.

A river of light swam above the alter, filling the darkness with hope. Anna could feel tears filling her eyes once more as she watched the lights float away in silence. As the sky began to darken once more drums began to pound and the torches flared back to life. Elise grabbed her hand, whirling her towards the alter and pointing out the dancers taking their places.

Strings of lanterns had been strung between the four statues, lighting the alter and the dancers upon it. The girls formed up in rows of six, kneeling on the alter with bowed heads and clasped hands. The drums went silent and in unison they chanted a prayer, the crowd taking it up. Anna found herself joining silently, focusing on words that prayed for the spirits of the departed and wished fervently for the success of the Chosen.

As the words of the prayer came to an end the dancers looked up and the drums began to beat out a new rhythm. As one the girls came to their feet, displaying the promise of poise and grace Elise had given. They flowed with the drumbeat, tapping out the rhythm on the balls of their feet. Their shoes added to the percussive beat, the footwork almost too fast for Anna to follow.

Just as fascinating as the combination of steps were the complementing movements of the dancers arms and hands. Anna watched in amazement as the girls came together and grew apart in elaborate formations until those in the back rows stood at the front.

All around the crowd cheered appreciatively and Anna joined in the applause. With a wide smile she turned to Kratos, only to find he was no longer by her side. Her face falling she looked around, searching fruitlessly for him in the crowd.

“I’ll be right back,” she told Elise, yelling over the noise to be heard. Elise nodded vaguely, intent on the dancers, but Maege met her eye and Anna knew she understood.

Pushing through the crowd packed around the alter Anna started towards the stairs that led back down the hill. Almost everyone was watching the dancers so she encountered few others. She was almost to the steps when she caught sight of a tall form standing near the gentle slope of the hillside, hidden in the shadows.

“Kratos?”

He turned, the torches behind her illuminating his face. There was a strange look in his eyes, distant and almost sad.

“Is something wrong?” she asked, coming to his side. She looked out over the valley below, waiting on an answer that was not forthcoming. With a sigh she tried once more, “You’ve been awfully quiet.”

She glanced up to find him studying her, still silent. “I know that we will have to leave soon,” she said, “and I’m alright with that. I won’t pretend I’m not sad, but I know we can not stay with Maege and Elise.”

Kratos turned his gaze back out over the valley, “Perhaps you would be safer with them.”

Anna looked up sharply, her eyes narrowing. “Why would you say such a thing? They’re going back to Luin, to the ranch.”

“I imagine if you were to remain in their company Elise would be content to stay here in Asgard with you.”

“Don’t you want me to go with you?” Anna asked, staring at him as she tried to read his face. Having no success she looked down at her bandaged hand. “How would I ever get rid of this thing if I stay behind?”

“So you wish to continue our journey?” Kratos asked, watching her carefully. “Do you realize how dangerous it will be? Perhaps Maege could hide you, keep you safe. So long as you are with me-”

“I’m in danger no matter what I choose,” Anna interrupted, fire in her eyes that was not reflected torchlight. “If I stay here I don’t stand a chance, but with you I know I will survive.”

“How can you be so certain?”

“Because I will fight, and I’ll have you with me.”

They fell silent as they gazed out over the dark valley, Anna noticing a smudge of light on the horizon that had to be the drifting lanterns. They looked so small from here, so inconsequential. When they had floated away the lights had seemed full of hope, a beacon in the dark, but how could something so small change anything?

“Anna! Kratos!” Alek came running towards them, waving something in both hands. “Here, try this!”

Anna took one of the skewers the boy offered her, studying it carefully. “What is it?”

“It’s really good,” Alek promised her, pushing the other one into Kratos’ hands. “Just try it!”

She brought the skewer to her nose, sniffing carefully before taking a hesitant nibble. A wash of spices and hint of something sweet flooded her mouth as grease dripped down her chin. Taking another bite she turned to Kratos, swallowing before she said, “It really is good. Where did you get this Alek?”

“At one of the stalls,” the boy replied, grinning broadly. “You really like it?”

Anna nodded, quickly finishing off the savory grilled meat and vegetables. “It’s delicious.”

“Come on then,” he said, grabbing her hand. “There’s still more to try!”

Anna laughed, pulling away from him. “Go on, we’ll catch up.”

She watched as Alek ran off, glancing over his shoulder at them before he hurried down the short flight of stairs to where the stalls were. Anna turned to Kratos, who still had not touched the skewer.

“Come on,” she smiled halfheartedly. “We might not have much longer, but we can at least enjoy the time we have left.”

***

Kratos followed Anna as she skipped down the stairs to the landing below. Maege and Elise stood at the bottom, waiting for them. He was surprised at how quickly Anna banished her melancholy mood in favor of the excited frenzy of the festival. He watched her as she laughed with Elise, tried a bite of the fried cinnamon bread she was offered, teased Alek. This was a silly, empty-headed child not the stubborn, fierce woman who had challenged him moments before. The child could not survive the journey they had set out on.

“I will fight… and I’ll have you with me.”

Kratos closed his eyes and shook his head. It seemed cruel to drag her from this place where she was happy and secure. It was clear that Anna trusted Maege and Elise with her life, and oddly Kratos found that he did as well. He watched the easy laughter she shared with Elise, the respect and consideration she showed Maege, even the playful banter with Alek spoke volumes.

Alek ran up to one of the stalls, nodding eagerly to the vendor as he exchanged a few coins for a small bundle. The boy came sprinting back, sharing his bounty with the others. Kratos watched as Anna took a hesitant bite while the others continued on, her eyes growing wide as she chewed. Looking up she noticed the others ahead of her and rushed to catch up, words were exchanged and laughter floated back to him on the breeze.

With a sigh Kratos followed wordlessly, scanning the thinning crowd for hidden dangers. He found Maege waiting for him next to one of the torches, her gaze focused on a booth where Elise and Anna were exploring.

“Our time is running short,” she said softly. “Perhaps we should be returning to the inn.”

“Aw, it’s still early! I’m not tired at all!” Alek complained as he sauntered up, yawning widely and severely damaging his case.

Maege turned to him knowingly. “I suppose we are lucky indeed. If you are not tired you’ll have no issue with keeping watch for your father while the rest of us sleep.”

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Alek replied sheepishly.

Kratos looked away from the pair, turning his gaze to Anna. “It appears most of the crowd has left. It would be kind of us to follow their example and let the merchants shut down their stalls so that they may return to their homes.”

Alek renewed his complaints as Elise and Anna joined them. “I don’t see why we can’t stay a little longer,” the boy cajoled, looking at Anna with wide, innocent eyes. “You’re not tired, are you?”

Anna grinned, “Well, maybe a little. Your mom and I walked all over Asgard this morning and then spent the afternoon shopping. You were lucky to get to stay at the inn and rest.”

Alek scuffed his boots in the dirt, kicking loose a few pebbles. “I guess so. Hey, wanna race back to the inn?”

Not waiting to see if anyone would take him up on the offer Alek took off towards the stairs, almost flying down the steep steps. Elise called out a warning, sighing with resignation at her reckless son. Maege chuckled under her breath as she followed Alek down the stairs.

“Not a chance of winning that race now,” she called back over her shoulder.

Elise shook her head as she followed her husband’s mother. “I think he gets more like Bratha every day. Bronn is never so reckless.”

“Perhaps not now,” Maege called back. “But he was a very impulsive child.”

The sounds of their conversation dwindled as they descended further down the stairs, Anna and Kratos following after. As they left the hill and its bright torches behind the darkness seemed to enfold them like a thick blanket. Somewhere off to the left the chasm lurked, an unseen void in a sea of black.

Beside him Anna stumbled, falling towards him. Kratos caught her arm, steadying her as she regained her feet and her composure.

“Sorry,” she murmured.

Kratos frowned as he studied the top of her head. “Are you alright?”

She nodded briskly. “I’m fine, I just don’t like knowing the cliff is there where I can’t see it.”

Heights, Kratos thought. She’s said before she doesn’t like them.

Without a sound he moved to walk on Anna’s other side, positioning himself between her and the cliff. They bore to the right, following a gentle slope away from the deep recess and up towards the inn. As they neared the number of lights grew to illuminate the path and draw weary travelers to the two-story dwelling.

A crowd had gathered outside the doors, most likely straggling festival-goers. The packed entry seemed surfeit with hidden dangers and Kratos found he did not like it at all. He edged Anna closer to Elise and Maege, following close behind the women as they slipped through the blockade of bodies and into the inn.

He repressed a sigh as they stood in the foyer, eyes scanning over the people packed around the tables. It appeared as though the end of the festival had sent the revelers in search of alternate venues - more specifically, the inns.

There were more people in the common room than Kratos would have thought possible, filling every inch of available space. Serving girls darted between the tables taking orders and serving drinks. Drunken laughter and loud conversations made the air seem to vibrate and the swordsman knew no one would be getting any sleep tonight.

Beside him Anna gazed about the room in wonder, her eyes shining as a no doubt terrible idea began to form. With narrowed eyes and a stern warning on the tip of his tongue he opened his mouth to speak, but Maege saved him the trouble.

“Drunken idiots,” she pronounced with disgust, not bothering to veil her disdain as she studied the scene of chaos. “We should get to our rooms quickly. With any luck the innkeep will have them out of here shortly.”

Kratos couldn’t have agreed with her more, but one glance at the hungry look in the innkeeper’s eyes made him doubt the man would be showing his guests the door anytime soon. He grabbed Anna by the arm, propelling her towards Elise as Maege began to carve a path to the stairway.

They had almost made it when a flash of color in the corner of his eye caught his attention. He turned his head, heart pounding as he searched for the source of his distraction and hoped he was only being paranoid. But there, a few tables to the right, sat a familiar figure with his back to the stairs.

Kratos turned back, the figure had not spotted him - yet. If they could get above stairs quickly they might remain unnoticed entirely. He pushed gently at Anna, trying to silently encourage her to move faster.

“Stop pushing! I’m going as fast as I can,” Anna complained, turning to him with a scowl. The scowl disappeared as she looked at him, her eyes lighting up with worry. “Kratos? What’s wrong?”

His name on her lips made him wince and he glanced over at the figure long enough to see him turn their direction. Behind Anna, Elise and Maege had paused, turning back to watch the pair.

“Kratos?”

Anna’s head turned in the direction of the voice, her forehead creased and her eyes questioning. Before she could speak Kratos spun her around, pushing her towards Elise and Maege.

“Take her upstairs. Keep her there.”

Maege nodded as Elise took Anna’s hand, pulling her towards the stairs. Anna stared back at Kratos, confusion evident on her face. He closed his eyes, Anna’s questioning gaze lingering behind his eyelids, before turning to face the inevitable. The blue-haired figure stood watching with a curiously amused look that Kratos did not like.

“Yuan.”