The Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction / Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Wind Lover ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Wind Lover~
 
Chapter I:
 
It was dark—cold and dark. How long had he been here, floating, drifting through this empty expanse where the fingers of time blurred and ran together? Trapped. That's what he was, and he couldn't stand it much longer.
 
Vaati was tired of waiting. He was tired of waiting for that damn hero's descendant to pull out the Four Sword and break the seal. Waiting got him nowhere. It was time for him to take action.
 
~*~
 
Hiram, Georgia was a normal enough city, made up of lively neighborhoods, busy streets, and bustling shopping centers. Well, maybe lively and bustling weren't exactly the right words to describe it. But there it was, existing just like any other suburb in Metro-Atlanta. Though of course, no one knew about the age-old ruins hidden within its depths.
 
That is, no one except the Milen daia Hirule, the Knights of Hyrule, those few remaining who still remembered the Old Kingdom, and who for 30,000 years had guarded its secrets and the terrible power sealed within it. The Knights had long lost track of the descendants of the Great Hero and the Princess of Light. The seal had not been repaired for hundreds of years, and, much to the Knights' fear and horror, it was beginning to weaken. So had begun the desperate search for the Princess' descendant, the only one with the power to reseal the evil. It was a fruitless quest, and they were about to feel the consequences.
 
~*~
 
Alnys ran through the maze of deteriorating white stone walls as fast as her tiny legs would carry her. The child was barely six years old, yet she already bore the Haruke Seal, the arrow shaped mark tattooed on the back of every Knight's hand. Black hair and ivory skin marked her as a daughter of the Sheikah.
 
A tall blue door loomed up before the girl, the symbol of three golden triangles enamored in its ancient surface. Putting all her might into it, she pushed the heavy door open and dashed into the room, not even pausing to catch her breath.
 
The Council sat at a long table, holding their weekly meeting. As the young Knight entered their midst, the elderly men stopped their discussion, looking towards the small girl. One man stood from the head of the table. He was a good twenty years younger than the rest, his shoulder-length brown hair just barely streaked with gray, but he wore the white and yellow robes of the leader, and a thick golden necklace, once again bearing the three triangles, hung about his neck and over his shoulders.
 
He could see the distress written clearly on the child's face, and a deep frown creased his brow. “Alnys, what is it?” he asked.
 
Alnys offered a hasty bow. “Forgive me for interrupting, Lord Eledon. Joldor has sent me to inform you that the Fire* Viseere has begun to break the seal. Everyone is trying to hold him in, but they can't last much longer.”
 
The men in the room gasped in accord, and jumped from their seats. Eledon's frown deepened further, and he nodded calmly towards the girl. “Run and tell him we will be there soon,” he told her.
 
Alnys bowed again and ran out of the room. “We must hurry,” Eledon said. The older men nodded, and Eledon followed the girl's course into the winding corridors, leading them through the secret paths which only members of the Council knew. They reached just in time to see a large blast of shattered stone cutting through the air, and the sound of a loud wind vacuum reached their ears. They were too late.
 
~*~
 
Vaati breathed in deeply, relishing for the first time in ages the taste of fresh air. There was no time to enjoy his freedom right now, though. Several dozen men and women, dressed in the robes of mages, stood in a circle around him, hands outstretched, and he could feel the vibrations of magic in the air.
 
He smirked, and with a simple wave of his hand, a strong gust of wind sent them flying into the air. Chuckling under his breath, he let the gentle wind holding him in the air raise him a little higher, so he hovered high above towards the ceiling. It was always so easy; he never could quite get over it.
 
“Stop, Vaati!” a stern voice called his name, and Vaati looked at the tall man entering the room, followed by several white-haired old men.
 
This man also wore the robes of a mage, but the cut and design of his robes were slightly different, and he bore the Triforce on a necklace over his chest. So, he must be the current king.
 
“Foolish King of Hyrule,” Vaati said. “Bring me the Princess now, and I will spare your life and the lives of your subjects.” He glanced at the unconscious bodies lying around him. To think, they had really been taken down with so little effort.
 
“It is you who is the fool, Vaati,” the man said. He held out a long staff gripped tightly in his right hand. Vaati frowned. With that staff, he was reminded too much of Ezlo, that damn Minish sage. “The Hylian monarchy ended thousands of years ago, and their descendants have long been lost. The power you seek may not even exist anymore.”
 
“What nonsense do you speak?” Vaati demanded. How could Hyrule no longer have a monarchy? Was it even possible? A blast of magic energy shot from the man's staff, and Vaati barely managed to set up a wind shield in time to block it. Even with the shield, the aftershock still sent him several feet backwards. So, he wasn't entirely powerless.
 
“I speak the truth,” the man said. “The power you seek no longer exists, so give up and accept your fate.”
 
Vaati frowned for a moment, and then a grin of understanding spread across if his face. The Princess was the only one with the power to reseal him, which meant that if he got to her first, there was nothing these pathetic mages could do to him, except try to kill him. And as long as he didn't stay here, they wouldn't be able to do even that.
 
“Very well. I will accept my fate, and take my leave,” Vaati said. He laughed, and flew out of the opening in the ceiling.
 
Hyrule certainly had changed since he'd been sealed in the Four Sword. Buildings loomed up everywhere, and strange, shiny creatures traveled speedily along black stone roads. How many centuries had passed? He landed smoothly on top of one of the buildings to plan his next move. How was he going to find the descendant of that accursed Princess Zelda? A wave of dizziness passed over Vaati briefly, and he staggered. He'd used more of his power than he had realized. If he didn't find the Princess and absorb her power soon, those mages would find him, and sadly enough, he wasn't sure he had the strength to take them on.
 
Vaati whipped his head around, focusing on something. It had only been for a split second, but he was sure he had sensed the power of the Princess nearby. Hopping off the side, he glided gently down onto the strange white stone in front of the long, many-doored building. A few people stared at him, pointing, but he ignored them and walked to one of the glass doors, peering into it. He was certain it had come from here.
 
Pulling the door open by the strange handle, he stepped inside and instantly felt cooler. Until now, he hadn't even realized how hot it was outside. In fact, the temperature was much higher than it had ever been in the Hyrule he knew. There was no time to worry about that now, though. He needed to figure out where in this room the Princess was.
 
He glanced around, walking further into the room. A girl with dirty blond hair in a ponytail stood behind a tall table, talking in rapid gibberish into the strange stick attached to the column beside her by a curly string. She looked over at him and stopped speaking suddenly, her mouth hanging slightly open and her eyes wide.
 
Vaati paused, watching her reaction out of the corner of his eye, waiting. Did she perhaps know who he was? The girl shrugged her shoulders and started speaking into the stick again, completely ignoring him. Perhaps not.
 
He continued his walk into the large room. Racks bearing seemingly hundreds of different cloths filled almost the entire room, and a few people were scattered about examining the cloths. Most of those people were middle-aged women though, and not who he was looking for. Vaati scanned around again.
 
A redhead girl dressed in a strange black tunic and wearing what looked like tiny black fishnets on her arms stood with her back turned to him. He raised an eyebrow. Since when did people use fishnets for clothing? Perhaps she was poor. It didn't really matter anyway. The girl he was looking for would have blond hair, not red.
 
He started to move on, but then she turned around and he caught sight of her face. Vaati knew that face; he would recognize it anywhere. He grinned in malicious joy at his good fortune and half-walked, half-flew to her.
 
~*~
 
Lydia held up the red cloth, peering at it. After a moment, she shook her head and dropped it. It just wasn't quite the right shade. She sighed with exasperation. Why did finding materials for sewing have to be so hard? For once, it would be nice if she could find what she needed the first time she looked, instead of having to come back again and again for sometimes weeks on end.
 
She pulled her cell phone out of her purse and started to dial Mika's number, turning around as she did so to head for the door. A blur zipped past her, and then someone grabbed her arm roughly. She looked up in shock at the purple-skinned, purple-haired man holding her.
 
He grinned. “Ohaio, Zelda'maji.”
 
Lydia blinked at him. “What?” she said. She hadn't understood a word of that.
 
“Soein je,” the man said, speaking in his strange gibberish again.
 
He started to wrap an arm around her waist. Almost instinctively, Lydia twisted out of his grip on her arm, and landed a kick in his most sensitive spot. The man doubled over, yelling something in that strange language which she was pretty sure was a curse. She took the opportunity to run to the front of the store, where the cashier was still talking on the phone, completely oblivious to what was going on around her.
 
Lydia stopped running and turned around. The man seemed to be recovering from her blow, and the expression on his face as he glared up at her was almost terrifying. He straightened up, and started walking towards her.
 
She backed up a step. “Hey, you better cut it out now, or I'll call the police,” she yelled, holding up her cell phone so he could see she wasn't bluffing.
 
There was a sudden blur, and then he was standing right beside her. Lydia screamed and jumped, almost dropping her phone. She swung a fist at his face, but this time he dodged her with ease. He reached for her. She barely managed to duck under his arm.
 
“Hey!” a voice cried, and for a split second, the man looked over his shoulder at the cashier, who had finally noticed what was going on. “What do you think you're doing? I'm calling the police!” She reset the phone and punched in the three numbers.
 
Lydia breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe now this asshole would leave her alone. He reached for her again, and she barely avoided once more. Or maybe not. She started running towards the door, fumbling in her purse as she did so. Her fingers wrapped around what she was looking for, and she pulled out her pepper spray. Whipping around, she took aim and sprayed it in his face.
 
The man shrieked in pain, and covered his face in his hands. Lydia didn't wait around to see what would happen. She dashed out the door, dialing Mika's number once again. Pausing outside the fabric store, she looked right and left. There was no telling where Mika was. Maybe the bookstore? She turned to the right and started to run in that direction.
 
“Hello?” Mika's voice came over the receiver.
 
“Mika! Where the hell are you?” Lydia cried.
 
“Huh? I'm in the bookstore. Hey, what's the name of that book Jacob was talking about yesterday? I can't remember.”
 
“Mika, get your butt over here now!”
 
“Aww, but I'm not through yet!” Mika whined. “What's wrong anyway.”
 
“Mika. There is some weirdo with purple skin and red eyes in a cape trying to kidnap me.”
 
There was a moment's silence on the other line. “Lala, are you brainstorming for one of your stories? It sounds like an interesting idea. I think you should use it.”
 
Lydia groaned. “Mika! I'm being serious! Just come here, okay?”
 
“Alright, alright. I'll be there in a sec. See ya!” There was a click as Mika hung up, and Lydia closed her phone.
 
Honestly, when that girl got her mind stuck on an idea, it was practically impossible to shake her from it. Not that she could really blame Mika for not believing her. Lydia wasn't sure she would even believe her. Well, that didn't matter right now, because it was true, and she was in danger!
 
Lydia reached the bookstore, and there was no sign of Mika. That moron had probably gotten distracted by something. A strong blast of wind hit Lydia square in the back, knocking her onto the ground.
 
Before she could recover, the man bent down and pulled her up roughly, pinning both arms to her side. “Tairas bovuat,” he said. He sounded very pissed.
 
Lydia struggled to get away, but he was completely prepared for her now, and it was no use. Something flew past Lydia's ear, and she heard a loud thud. The man's grip on her loosened, and she wrenched away from him, running to join Mika, who was now standing outside of the bookstore with an angry look on her face.
 
Wondering what the crazy girl had just done, Lydia turned around to see a giant hardback book lying on the ground, and the man rubbing a hug red spot on his forehead.
 
Mika pointed at him. “What do you think you're doing to my friend?” she cried. She moved into a stance with one hand on her hip and the other in the air, waving her hands around as she spoke. “In the name of books and all things cute, I, Mika, will punish you!”
 
Lydia smacked her forehead, shaking her head at Mika. She really worried about this girl sometimes. “Come on, Mika, we need to get back to the fabric store. The police should be there by now.”
 
“Right!” Mika gripped her plastic bag, which still held books, in her hand, and Lydia pulled out her pepper spray.
 
“One, two, three!” Lydia cried. She sprayed the man in the face again, and Mika jumped at him, whacking him in the head with her bag as hard as she could, and the two girls ran past him towards the fabric store, where several police cars were parked in front of it and cops were climbing out of the cars, guns held at the ready.
 
~*~
 
Vaati covered his eyes with his hands again, waiting for the burning to go away. His head was throbbing, and his eyes felt like they were going to catch on fire any moment. Whatever strange magic that girl had used had temporarily blinded him once again.
 
Those damn women! He'd never had this much trouble capturing that pathetic Princess in the past. By the gods, what had happened to Hyrule in the years he had been sealed away? Finally, the burning became bearable, and he blinked his eyes, able to see again, although his vision was rather blurry.
 
He turned in the direction the Princess and her companion had run off in and began to follow them. He was starting to feel very exhausted now. He had used up too much of his power. He saw the two girls talking to a group of oddly dressed men, and headed towards them.
 
Suddenly, he was surrounded by the strangely clothed men, and they were all pointing strange looking objects at him. One of the men yelled something at him, but it was in the same language the girls had spoken in, and he couldn't understand a word of it. Hmph. It hardly mattered anyway. He raised his arm, only to discover that his power had been depleted so much, he could barely even conjure up a breeze.
 
How irritating. Using what was left of his energy, he flew up into the air, over the surprised men's heads, and as far away as he could get. He landed in the middle of a forest, and sat down on the ground. For now, he would just have to stay hidden and rest until his powers recovered enough that he could actually do something. Damn that girl and his accursed luck.