The Twelve Kingdoms Fan Fiction ❯ A Legend Forgotten ❯ Wuya's Decision ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Disclaimer: The Twelve Kingdom Characters belong solely to Fuyumi Ono, but Mariette and the other unknown characters I am writing about belong to me. If this disclaimer is wrong, then please do not sue me.)
 
Chapter 16: Wuya's Decision
 
A flash of light blinded Yoko. Yoko shut her eyes wondering why there were so many time skips. Yoko opened her eyes and asked, “So how much time this time?”
 
 
“Seven years.”
 
 
Yoko gasped in surprise.
 
 
“Seven years? That's mean that Mariette should be sixteen,” said Yoko in surprise. The scene of an ocean cliff appeared before Yoko. Yoko stared at the scene and noticed Wuya and Mariette on the cliff with Kishi, Usagi, and Yuki behind them. Wuya and Mariette had grown and wore long dresses that danced in the wind. Yuki, the Sugu, had grown to the same size as Usagi, the Tenken, and Kishi had transformed into his wolf form.
 
 
Yoko stared at Mariette's older form and smiled.
 
 
“She really has grown becoming so beautiful,” said Yoko. She looked toward Wuya and added, “And Wuya looks more mature.” Yoko suddenly noticed something and looked all around.
 
 
“Where's Toshi?” Yoko asked herself. Yoko looked back at Wuya, Mariette, and the three animals and noticed that they were standing in front of a gravestone.
 
 
Yoko's eyes widen. She looked at the engraving of the stone and felt tears escape from her eyes.
 
 
On the stone was written:
 
 
TOSHI
 
 
Yoko placed hand to her mouth as she tried to control her falling tears.
 
 
Toshi died?
 
 
Mariette was crying uncontrollably, while Wuya stared at the gravestone of Toshi. Mariette looked at Wuya with tear filled eyes.
 
 
“I'm sorry Wuya. I wasn't able to save him from the sickness,” cried Mariette. Wuya looked at Mariette and said, “It isn't your fault. You tried everything. You even went back to the old man's cabin after so long looking for help, but he wasn't there. That isn't your fault.” Mariette nodded as tears continued to fall from her eyes.
 
 
“I wish I had more time to save him,” said Mariette as she sobbed. Yuki, Kishi, and Usagi looked at Mariette filled with concern. Wuya hugged Mariette softly and said, “Please don't cry. A smile suits you more.” Mariette hugged Wuya back as she tried to stop her falling tears.
 
 
After the small funeral of Toshi, Mariette, Wuya, and the three animals returned to the lake, where there was a small house. They entered the house. Mariette sat on the bed, Wuya leaned against the wall, and the animals sat next to Mariette still trying to comfort her.
 
 
Mariette looked at a small silver ring on the nightstand next to her bed and smiled.
 
 
“I remember Toshi giving that to me when he got sick. He said that he would marry me when he got better and that the ring was his promise,” said Mariette as she gazed at the ring. A tear escaped from her eye. Mariette wiped it away and said, “He couldn't keep that promise.”
 
 
Wuya crossed her arms and said, “He wasn't able to keep the promise, but he was true to you in the end.” Wuya got off the wall and picked the ring from the stand. She grabbed a piece of string and looped it around the ring making a necklace. She placed it around Mariette's neck making Mariette confused.
 
 
“As long as you wear this, Toshi will always be with us,” said Wuya. Mariette gave a nod trying not to cry. She noticed a tear fall from Wuya's eye and said, “You can cry too, Wuya.”
 
 
Wuya wiped the tear away and shook her head. She looked at Mariette with a smile and said, “I have to be strong for the both of us.” Mariette smiled at Wuya and clenched the silver ring around her neck.
 
 
“I'll never forget Toshi,” said Mariette with a smile. Wuya nodded. Wuya then pulled Mariette to her feet and said, “Let me show you something with just the two of us.” Mariette nodded and looked back at her other three companions.
 
 
“I'll be right back, so stay here.”
 
 
Yuki, Usagi, and Kishi nodded. Mariette left the house with Wuya.
 
 
Wuya led Mariette through the woods. Mariette looked at Wuya confusingly and asked, “Where are we going?”
 
 
“You'll see,” said Wuya as she dragged Mariette.
 
 
They emerged from the woods and walked onto a beach. Mariette broke into a smile and ran across the sand. She stared up at the moon and laughed.
 
 
“It's beautiful,” said Mariette happily. Wuya nodded in agreement. She went to Mariette's side and looked up at the moon.
 
 
“This beach is where Toshi and I first found you. The first place that brought us happiness,” said Wuya. Mariette looked at Wuya. Wuya smiled and said, “Toshi and I lost our parents from a disease and decided that we would act independently to survive. We actually felt pretty lonely by ourselves, but then we found you and you brought happiness to our hearts. You made us believe that we can achieve our dreams.”
 
 
Wuya glanced at Mariette and asked, “Do you remember Toshi's dreams for the future?” Mariette nodded.
 
 
“He wanted to become the new ruler of Kei; marry me; and live to be a hundred,” answered Mariette. Wuya nodded and said, “I want to make his dreams come true through me.” Mariette gasped in surprise causing her cat features to pop out.
 
 
“Wuya?”
 
 
“I will become the queen of Kei and live to be a hundred,” said Wuya. She looked at Mariette and said, “I can't marry you, but I can make up for it by sticking with you always.” Mariette looked at Wuya with her tail swaying.
 
 
“Are you sure you want to do this?” asked Mariette. Wuya nodded and looked across the ocean.
 
 
“I will definitely protect you as the queen of Kei,” said Wuya. Mariette smiled at Wuya and said, “Then good luck.” Wuya nodded at Mariette and looked back up at the moon.
 
 
 
“I will succeed,” said Wuya filled with determination.
 
 
Yoko stared at the scene and said, “Wuya is going to try to become the new ruler?” Yoko looked toward Mariette and said, “Then how did Mariette get chosen?”