Thundercats Fan Fiction ❯ Last Life ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Prologue
In the deep reaches of space, a group of ships dotted the star filled velvety black void, each one carrying passengers from an ill fated planet. The ships are on a journey to find a new home to begin life anew. One particular ship stood among the rest of them. The metal aircraft bore a red circle with the dark shape of a roaring cathead on its hull. It appeared larger than the other ships because housed more than just a handful of members of the dying Thunderian race. Along with these Thunderian Nobles – or Thundercats – was something even more important than just the lives of the Thunderian Race. The ship was transporting the hopes, the dreams, and the very essence of what makes the Thunderians noble and peaceful. Everything that the Thundercats lived for, the knowledge of their race; everything… was all being carried in the form of the Code of Thundera.

Their precious planet of Thundera had come under attack and due to all of the tremors shaking the planet due to its core, thousands of Thunderians had to evacuate the planet, but not everyone were expected to escape the horrible fate. It still did not stop them from trying though. And while this was going on, Mutants from the planet of Plun-Darr had launched a full-scale attack.

All was quiet in the Flag Ship carrying the Thundercats and the precious Sword of Omen. Nearly everyone was on the Flight Deck, tending to the controls – all except for three, the young prince, Lion-O, his betrothed, Catlina, and their loyal nursemaid, Snarf.

--

“You should really get some sleep, snarf, snarf.” A voice said from beside them. In the dimly lit room, she turned her head and saw them sitting next to her on the bed. Her best friend and future Lord of the Thundercats, Lion-O and their nursemaid, Snarf. Snarf’s ears were folded down, making him look like a dog with a shaggy mane of beard of cream-colored fur gracing his chin. His red eyes stared worriedly at her, unblinkingly, as he draped his large tail over his hind paws. “Snarf… Lina, Lion-O, do not worry. Loyal ol’ Snarf will be here for you. I’ll protect you.” His words did very little to quell her fears. The red haired Lion cub beside her just rolled his eyes in a cocky manner that would have any adult chastising him for his attitude.

“Lay off, Snarf. We’re too old for naps and for nursemaids.” Lion-O said chiefly. However, she could sense the fearfulness and worry in her friend’s voice. Despite his cocky ways, Lina knew that the young prince was having just as much trouble believing everything that has happened to them. Snarf rose to all four paws now. He reached out and gently pushed both of his charges onto the bed.

“Both of you need your rest. So, sleep, or I’ll bring Jaga in here.” Snarf’s stern tone made both Lina and Lion-O feel a bit reluctant about disobeying their nursemaid’s orders. If Jaga was brought in, then it would spell trouble for the two of them. Despite his age and him being Lina’s father and Lion-O’s mentor, Jaga’s presence always commanded immediate respect and whatever command he gives to anyone has to be obeyed. Of course, it was not to say that Jaga had a temper, but in the rare instances that he does become angry, it scares those in his presence.

Lion-O smiled sheepishly at the Snarf and he quickly laid back. “Alright, alright, Snarf. We’ll… go to bed.” The lion murmured. There was a light rustling noise as Lina laid down beside him. Feeling satisfied with himself, Snarf tucked his two charges in the bed before jumping off the bed and curling up on the floor.

“Good night, Lion-O, Lina; Old Snarf will be here when you wake up. Sweet dreams.” These were the last words Lion-O and Lina heard their caretaker say before he drifted off to sleep. Lion-O turned his head and smiled at the girl beside him.

“We might as get some shut eye, Lina. Snarf’s right about us needing some sleep. I’m kind of tired now, too.” He said softly. The young Thunderian reached out and gently touched the side of his friend’s face, his thumb gently stroking her cheek. “Night, Lina.” Lion-O let out a soft yawn before rolling over and closing his eyes. It only took a minute for him to fall asleep and all became quiet in the room, except for the soft breaths of Lion-O and Snarf.

No matter how much she tried, Lina could not fall asleep. Instead, she laid there under the blanket next to him. Her blue eyes were open and she was wide-awake, her body refusing to sleep even for a second. She could hear the worried voices of the other Thundercats, especially that of her father, Jaga, and her teacher and friend, Tygra.

It was just several hours ago that they had escaped their home planet, Thundera. She strained her ears to hear the voices of the other Thundercats over the heavy breathing of Snarf and Lion-O.

“It’s finished, Jaga.” Said a deep, strong voice. It was the voice of the strongest warrior of Thundera, Panthro. Panthro, bearing the blood of the skilled fighters of the Panther Clan, was the leader of his tribe and he had a knack for mechanics and technology, too. His quick temper often times gets the best of him.

“Yes, any moment now, Panthro.” Her father was the second voice. It was old, but full of wisdom and pride, but he, too, sounded worried. Jaga was the second in command to the late Lord Claudius, and Lion-O’s teacher. He was also the current Lord of the Thundercats until Lion-O comes of age. All Thunderians revered him as one of the best fighters and protectors of Thundera. He was seen as a prime example of what every Thundercat should strive to be.

“Should we wake them?” The third voice was her teacher and friend, Tygra. He has been with her since she was born and he has taught her many skills that would help her in future as the Lady of the Thundercats. Tygra was always calm, collected, and full of brotherly advice. Tygra was from the Tiger Clan – a proud Clan with highly deadly intelligence and deadly mind powers. But what really set Tygra apart from the other Thundercats, aside from his age, are his shy mannerisms and his ability to assess the situation and act quickly.

“No, why upset the children needlessly, Tygra?” Asked a female voice. It was full of deep pride but lilted with much warmth that anyone would be glad to hear. It was the quickest and strong willed Cheetara, born to the psychically inclined Cheetah Clan.

Lina slowly and carefully made her way out of the bed. Her heart was beating wildly in her chest as she crossed the darkness of the room. If Snarf caught her, the said nursemaid would reprimand her like no tomorrow.

The young Jaguar finally came to the door where she was able to hear more of the conversation. It was a good thing her small body was built for stealth. All of Tygra’s lessons on sneaking up on people and remaining in the shadows were paying off. She knelt onto one leg, remained silent, and still so that she could better hear the conversation going on in the flight deck. She wanted to know what was going to happen to all of them.

“No, if they are to rule than they must learn to take the bad with the good. Go and fetch them, Cheetara.” Her father ordered.

Lina’s heart skipped a beat at hearing Cheetara’s footsteps entering the hall and she quickly scrambled back to the bed, avoiding stepping on the sleeping Snarf’s tail in the process. Once in the bed, she snuggled back into the sleeping Lion-O’s side and closed her eyes, feigning sleep. She heard the sound of the door to the bedroom sliding open, allowing Cheetara to enter.

She soon heard Cheetara’s soft voice calling to her and Lion-O, and she felt her childhood friend stirring from beside her. “Lion-O, Lina.”

“Oh, Cheetara.” Lion-O let out a soft yawn as he sat up.

“I’m sorry to wake you, but Jaga bids me bring you to him.” Cheetara said softly. She watched as Lion-O stretched his arms to the ceiling before turning to Lina.

The red haired youth quietly reached out and gently touched the side of her face. “Come on, Lina. It’s time to wake up.”

His touch felt soothing to Lina’s cheek, but she was already awake. She slowly opened her eyes and sat up as well. It was at this time that Snarf woke up as well. The red and yellow furred feline purred with a whimper as he watched his two charges rising off their bed. “Hey, where are you going? Lion-O and Lina need their sleep.” He whined, getting to his hind feet.

The trio stopped at the door and they looked back at Snarf, Cheetara was the one to address the nursemaid’s question. “They will have ample opportunity for sleep on this voyage, but now it’s important for them to join Jaga on the Flight Deck.” The Cheetah Woman moved her hand in the direction of the Flight Deck as an indicator.

Snarf was persistent still. “Nothing is more important than a young cub’s rest.”

Lion-O rolled his eyes and dismissed Snarf once he and Lina reached the door. “Let up, Snarf, huh? We’re practically grown up.” The young lion replied before following Cheetara out of the room with Lina holding onto his arm.

“You really are turning into an old nanny, Snarf.” Cheetara said before leading the two cubs out of the room.

“Easy for you to say. You’re not responsible for Lion-O and Lina’s welfare. Snarf is. Just let them come down with a fever or the pip or something...” Snarf said, watching them leave. Snarf’s ears drooped. “… and who gets all the blame? Snarf, that’s who. Snarf snarf.” Snarf said under his breath as he followed the trio.

The two of them were fully awake once they have reached the flight deck. Tygra was the first to notice them coming in. The tiger smiled as Lina ran to his side, throwing her small arms around him in a hug. Tygra laughed a bit, scooping the girl up into a small bear hug briefly before setting his future Lady back onto her feet. “Have a good nap, did you?”

“Now is not the time for pleasantries. Come to my side, children.” Jaga sounded slightly annoyed but he was more worried than anything.

The two cubs did as they were told and walked up to the old Jaguar’s side. “What’s up, Jaga?” Lion-O asked as they stopped next to him.


“Watch the telescreen, children.” Lina’s father said softly, placing his hands on their shoulders.

She stared wide eyed at the computer monitor. There was a red planet on the monitor’s display, spots of fire shooting up from its surface. She could hear the thousands of souls that were to die on Thundera.

Beside her, a red haired youth looked on as well. Golden brown-red eyes saw the same image as her. The boy opened his mouth, addressing a Jaguar Thunderian behind them. “Watch what Jaga? That planet? What’s happening to it?” The twelve year old asked.

Lina found herself staring at the telescreen in shocked silence as the red planet on the screen exploded and Lina hid her face into Lion-O’s shoulder. She could practically feel the pain of the planet itself as it exploded.

Feeling her trembling, Lion-O placed an arm around her waist and looked away. It pained him as well. They had lost their entire planet and their families or rather what was left of them. “W-what was that?” Lion-O stammered in surprise, his golden eyes going wide.

Lina whimpered as her father answered her friend’s question. There was pure sadness in Jaga’s voice as he placed his hands on both Lion-O’s and Lina’s shoulders. “That was Thundera, children… the planet we call home.”

“Thundera? But…” Lion-O could not find the right words for what he was feeling. His father and practically the entire Thunderian race had stayed behind on planet Thundera. Tears were starting to shine in the young prince’s eyes. The Lion blinked them back.

He could not show his emotions, or at least he felt that he had to be strong for his friends, especially for Lina. He could feel Lina’s tears soaking into the tan fur on his shoulder as he held her and comforted her. As the future Lord of the Thundercats, he would have to be the strong one and he would be the one responsible for all of the doings of the others. Lion-O had to be strong and keep a cool head.

“Yes, children, Thundera is gone, but the Code of Thundera will live as long as you, the Lord and Lady of the Thundercats carry it in your hearts. It will be your sacred duties to rule according to that code in our new home…wherever that will be. Justice, truth, honor, loyalty.” Jaga said softly, his brown eyes resting on his daughter and student.

Lion-O seemed to get a surge of confidence and he crossed one arm over his chest, “We will, Jaga. We swear it; I mean we’ll try, right, Lina?” When he looked over at Lina, he saw his friend clinging to his arm still. Lina nodded meekly while keeping her face buried into the side of his shoulder.

“Yes, I know. It is an enormous responsibility for one who is not yet a man. But fear not, children. You two are not alone. The nobles gathered here, Panthro, Cheetara, Tygra, even Wilykat and Wilykit will be teaching you the skills you need...to rule wisely and well. They will be with you every step of the way. Now, both of you come with me.” His cape swished a bit as he turned around and started walking. Jaga crossed the bridge of the ship and walked through the door with the two cubs following him.

Snarf, who had climbed up onto a nearby ledge, let his ears drooped in sadness. “No mention of old Snarf, I notice. Snarf, snarf. Go ahead, just take all the glory, and leave it to Snarf to clean up after you. I don’t mind.”

“There is something else you must see, Lion-O, Lina, the most important part of your heritage.” He heard Jaga say in passing and he trailed after them.

Lina allowed Lion-O to lead her into the room and despite that, her father was talking to all of them; she did not seem to hear him. She was lost in her thoughts and the painful emotions that came from everyone in the room. Sadness, confusion, and anger. Not everyone really knew each other on a personal level but still, everyone in this room knew each other one way or another. In addition, they all have one goal in common: To establish their race and survive. Ok, so maybe that is actually two goals but still, they were the only ones left behind.

It was not until she heard her father calling out to her she was brought back to attention. Lion-O had gently nudged her in her side to get her attention. When she looked up, she saw that everyone in the room were now wearing some kind of magical clothing and were wielding their own special weapon. Lion-O now held the Sword of Omens in his hands, though she could see every muscle in his body tightening as he tried to lift up the sword.

“It will not be long before the Sword feels natural in your hands.” Jaga said softly in his calm fatherly voice. He then looked at Lina, his crimson gaze locking with her blue ones. “And as for you, Lina, my daughter.” He whispered.

Lina watched as her father walked over to the stand that the Sword of Omens and Cat Claw once were and he picked up a cloth bundle before approaching her. The oldest of the Thundercats held out the cloth bundle to her. She saw her father’s lips curl into a soft smile as his eyes shined with loving warmth.

She shyly took the cloth bundle. Feeling something hard through the brown cloth, she peeled back the top layer and found a long thin katana still in its sheath. The Thundercats emblem was engraved on the hilt of the sword. Her eyes widened at seeing her mother’s weapon. Although she was quiet, a small gasp managed to escape her lips and she looked back at her father, a questioning look grazing their depths.

“This was your mother’s. I have kept it since her death. I was waiting to give it to you when the right time comes, and now is that time. Wield this blade with passion, Lina and it will serve you well.” Her father said softly.

A loud crash rattled the entire ship before she could respond, making everyone snap to attention. The Thundercats all rushed out of the room, and amidst the confusion, Lina found herself being left behind in the room with Lion-O and their nursemaid, Snarf. Lion-O tried to go with them but Jaga ordered him to stay behind. Lion-O kicked at the door out of frustration until he had calmed down some. Lina backed herself against the wall and slid down to the floor, burying her face into her upraised knees. Snarf’s ears drooped as he came to Lina’s side and rested his hands on her lap, “Don’t worry, Lina, everything will be fine. Old Snarf will protect you and Lion-O, Snarf snarf.”

Lina just shook her head in silence and began to tremble. There was no use in trying to comfort her. She knew what was going on. The mutants had managed to track down the flagship and they were now locked in battle with the others. The corner of Lion-O’s lips curled into a frown at seeing Lina trembling and he joined Snarf and Lina on the floor. He sat on Lina’s other side. Slipping an arm around her, the lion drew her closer and hugged her. “It is all right, Lina. Jaga and the others will be ok. They won’t let the mutants come in…” There was a loud bang against the metal door and Lion-O instantly jumped up, his hand going to the Sword of Omens that was lying beside him.

Snarf yelped and jumped to his feet. The yellow fur on his back bristled a bit as his entire body became tense. “D-don’t worry, kids. Old Snarf will protect you.” His ears laid flat against his head as the door finally came open with another bang. There standing in the door way were three mutants, led by a Reptile-like mutant.

“Well, well, look at what we have here. Two cubssss and their little pet.” Hissed Slythe, his golden slits for eyes staring at them mockingly. The other two mutants laughed. It was at this point that Lion-O, still struggling to lift up the sword, glared at them and he grabbed the bottom of the Sword of Omens, putting all of his strength behind it.

“Get them.” The leader of the mutants ordered. The other two mutants stepped forward with a net in hand. Snarf growled and leapt at them, but the net was thrown at him, ensnaring the feline.
“Snarf!” Lion-O cried out. The twelve year old looked on in mild shock and anger, watching as the mutants pulled the net towards them with Snarf struggling to break free. His golden brown eyes filled with anger and he got a better grip on the Sword of Omens. Gritting his teeth with determination, Lion-O slowly lifted the seemingly heavy weapon, willing the Eye of Thundera to come to life.

Seeing that Lion-O was struggling still, Lina rose shakily to her feet and walked up behind her friend. She grasped Lion-O’s wrists, using the little bit of strength she could muster to help him lift the Sword of Omens. She could feel the heaviness of the blade and Lion-O’s body trembling under the weight. As soon as she touched Lion-O’s hands on the hilt, the red eye on the hilt of the Sword flickered to life and it began to glow.

The mutants had all stopped dead in their tracks at seeing the Thundercats symbol rising from the sword and into the air. It was then that Slythe’s two cohorts, Monkian and Jackalman scrambled to get away, dropping the trapped Snarf in the process. Slythe hissed angrily at his companions, “Where are you two idiotssss going?” The reptile growled but he saw the symbol as well and ran.

Lion-O breathed a sigh of relief, though his legs felt a bit like jelly as he placed the sword back onto the pedestal and walked over to a struggling Snarf. Lina followed him. She helped Lion-O untangle their nursemaid from the net. Once he was free, Snarf jumped into Lina’s arms and put his arms around her, hugging her.

“Are you two alright?” Snarf whined, looking his two charges over. Lion-O just rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“We took care of them Snarf. So, quit worrying so much.” The prince replied, and he grinned at Lina. “Right, Lina?”

A faint blush rose on Lina’s cheeks and she nodded. The girl quickly buried her face into the side of Snarf’s face, earning a loving purr from her caretaker. It was at that instant that the door opened and her father’s voice met their ears.

“Lina! Lion-O! You two are unharmed?” The old Thunderian asked in mild alarm as the others appeared in the room behind him.

Lion-O let out a soft laugh as Snarf jumped into his arms and hugged him next. “Snarf took a few bumps, but we took care of them.” The young Lord replied. His gaze traveled to Lina, who had joined his side and hidden her face into his shoulder. She was being shy again. Lina’s shyness made Lion-O’s heart melt with happiness, but before anyone could do or say anything else, Lion-O and Lina were rushed out of the room where they proceeded to help their friends with whatever repairs that were needed.

--

Everyone gathered in the control room, where Panthro, Cheetara, and Tygra were was waiting. “How bad is it, Panthro?” Jaga asked, approaching the said Cat Warrior.

Panthro stroked his chin in silent thought as his other hand pushed a button on the control panel before him. “I managed to repair most of the damage the Mutants have caused, but the navigation is shot.” He replied. The panther Thunderian pushed another button, changing the screen on the monitor. “We won’t be making it to the galaxy we were aiming for, but all’s not lost. This galaxy has one planet that seems livable. The third one out.”

Lina clung to Lion-O as she stared curiously at the display of nine planets and a huge star. She blinked at seeing nine planets silently circling endlessly around what she thought was the sun of this galaxy. Panthro continued with his explanation with Tygra backing him up, allowing Lina’s mind to wander a bit.

The girl was brought out of her silence by her father’s sudden declaration, or rather his order. “It’s decided, all of you must continue the journey in the Suspension Capsule while I remain behind to pilot the ship manually.” Jaga’s voice was sharp and no one could deny his orders. Once Jaga gives out an order, the rest of them must obey.

Lina felt her eyes tearing up and she shook her head. She had a bad feeling about this. The others seemed to feel her pain for everyone protested, but there was no getting out of it. Lina found herself being led over to a Suspension Capsule by her teacher, where he hugged her.

“Don’t worry, Lina. We will all be here when you awaken. Everyone will arrive on Third Earth together.” Tygra said quietly as he gently shut the glass of the capsule. He then walked over to his own pod and slipped into it. He knew these words were a bit empty. If the vision he received were correct, then his beloved student would have to endure a test set by the Eye of Thundera, which will take her away from him and the others. He closed his eyes with a heavy heart. All he could do was hope that Lina passes the test and that the Thundercats would find her. Good luck, little sister.


Once everyone fast asleep in the Suspension Capsules, Jaga walked over to the one containing his daughter. He stared at her through the glass, sadness filling his red eyes with tears. Lina mirrored his movements of placing a hand on the glass. “Papa.” Her voice squeaked as her blue eyes locked onto his crimson colored ones. Jaga took in a deep breath before speaking. He could not bear to let his daughter see him like this.

“Lina, my daughter.” The jaguar whispered gently, refraining from shedding a single tear despite his eyes burning with tears. “You must be brave and stay strong. The Eye of Thundera is about to test you and Lion-O both. What the test is, I do not know but I have done all that I can to keep you safe. I had missed most of your childhood, but I am to blame for that. I just hope you never lose yourself in this test and remember that I was always proud of you. I love you, Catlina.”

Lina’s eyes widened at seeing him lift his free hand to the button, though she could only see his hand from inside the capsule. Her heart leapt to her throat and fear gripped her entire body, holding her with an icy cold grip. She never liked being in small enclosed space such as this suspension capsule. “P-papa! No!”

The light sleeping gas that streamed into space pod cut off her words. The gas was odorless, tasteless, and invisible to the naked eye as it slowly clogged all of the young Thunderian’s senses. Her eyes became heavy with sleep. She could not hold out any longer. The more she resisted, the harder it became to stay awake. Lina could not hear the last words that her father spoke to her through the barrier that kept them apart. Her father’s voice became a faint, distant echo that was muffled and indistinguishable as sleep finally embraced her and led her into the darkness.

“Be brave my daughter. I will always be with you. Remember that.” He said these words with all the love he could muster. If only he could tell her all that was in his heart. The Jaguar touched two of his fingers to his lips before pressing them to the glass, wishing he were placing a comforting kiss on his child’s forehead. He then walked off to the pilot seat where he spent the remainder of his life, guiding the Thundercats’ ship to what would soon become their new home.

Hina: I know that this is just the prologue but this is the slightly revised version, but other than that, the other chapters have only been edited as far as fixing any grammar and spelling errors that both Microsoft Office Word, a few of my friends online on fanfiction.net, and I have caught. But all stories will have mistakes that won’t always reveal themselves until the last minute. Thank you for reading this story.