Transformers Fan Fiction ❯ On Your Shore ❯ Unwelcome Union ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
On Your Shore

Strange how my heart beats
To find myself upon your shore.
Strange how I still feel
My loss of comfort gone before.

Cool waves wash over
And drift away with dreams of youth
So time is stolen
I cannot hold you long enough.

And so this is where I should be now
Days and nights falling by
Days and nights falling by me.
I know of a dream I should be holding
Days and nights falling by
Days and nights falling by me.

Soft blue horizons
Reach far into my childhood days
As you are rising
To bring me my forgotten ways

Strange how I falter
To find I'm standing in deep water
Strange how my heart beats
To find I'm standing on your shore

-- Enya, "On Your Shore"

Author's Note: [28.09.02] This is a completed fic, but inasmuch as it's after 6am and I was supposed to go to bed early, there's only one chapter posted at the moment. I'll get the others posted in the next couple of days.
As a bit of side note (and you probably already noticed this in the summary), "On Your Shore" is the first in a mini-series of RiD fics by yours truly: The Prometheus Cycle. And before you ask, no, I don't know how many fics will comprise this series.
And now, for the usual disclaimers. I don't own any of the characters used, except any humans that are not Koji or Dr. Oneshi. I wouldn't mind owning them, but I don't, more's the pity. This is completely unauthorized slash.

* * * * *


Chapter 1: Unwelcome Union


"I hate him! I hate him, I hate him, I HATE HIM!"
"Whoa, dude, Bro, calm down."
Sideburn had never seen his brother so angry before. Well, no, that wasn't completely accurate. Prowl flipped out pretty regularly over his own antics. Older brothers never could understand the finer points of chasing little red sports cars, particularly Prowl. But even then, Prowl never threw fits quite like this.
"This is it, the absolute last straw! I won't put up with this anymore! He's reckless, arrogant, self-absorbed, a menace to society . . . he doesn't even act like an Autobot!"
Ultra Magnus. Had to be him. Sideburn stifled a sigh and just sat down. No one got to Prowl like Ultra Magnus. It might almost be amusing, if it wasn't also terribly frustrating. Especially when Prowl's anger meant he was on a violent redecorating kick.
"Prowl, put down the mirror a second and tell me what happened. Preferably before you break X-Brawn's favourite chair. Again."
Prowl set down the mirror with a sigh. He then settled himself on his own bunk. As much as he hated to admit it, his brother was right. Violence was not the answer, no matter how satisfying it was.
"I was on patrol. Who knows what he was out there doing. Primus forbid he should actually integrate with the rest of the team. I don't know why Optimus puts up with him anyway."
"Bro, you're rambling."
"I am not. In any case, I'm on patrol in the gamma sector following up a rumor of Predacon activity and what should I see in front of me? A ten car pile up. Naturally, I stop to help. And you won't believe what the drivers said caused the accident."
"Wait, let me guess . . . Ultra Magnus."
"Oh nooo, nothing so simple as that. It seems the first two cars actually collided when one was swerving to avoid a giant toad. Of course Slapper wasn't alone, which lead to the addition of cars Three, Four, and Five."
"So where do cars Six through Ten come in?"
"Well, by now people were noticing something very wrong and most were quite happy to find another way, if possible. Car Six was driven off the road by, wait for it, a driverless blue car carrier. An empty, driveless blue car carrier. An empty, driveless blue car carrier that shortly thereafter transformed into Ultra Magnus. And of course, as you can guess, rather than luring the Predacons away from the humans, he opens fire, right there, in the middle of the interstate!"
By now it was pretty obvious that, if Prowl's mouth was at all visible, he'd be frothing at it. Sideburn on the other hand was fighting valiantly to keep a straight face. Yes, it was unfortunate that human vehicles had been damaged in a skirmish with the Predacons, but collateral damage was an expected part of any war. It wasn't like anyone had been killed; Prowl would have said so already if they had.
"He does deal with Slapper, Gas Skunk and Darkscream though, right?"
"Not before littering the highway with spent casings and causing cars Seven, Eight, and Nine to slam into the growing pileup behind him. Then, calm as you please, he drives away, forcing car Ten off the road like some sort of deranged parting gift. He doesn't even apologize to people! He just drives off like they don't even exist!"
Prowl stood up and started pacing the quarters he shared with his brothers. That someone could be so . . . so . . . so willfully unconcerned with the welfare of others and still call himself an Autobot . . . it made him want to shake some sensibilities in Ultra Magnus's processors. They were supposed to be on this planet to protect it from Megatron and his minions. But every time Prowl turned around, Ultra Magnus was endangering his fellow Autobots, endangering the humans, endangering the environment. . . .
Just what kind of an Autobot does he think he is? I don't care if he is Optimus's brother, this can't go on. Someone needs to set him straight, before he kills someone.
"Is Prime in?"
"Don't know; you'll have to ask T-AI."
Prowl nodded once, then stomped out of the room. Sideburn sighed as he watched his brother leave.
Primus, I hope he knows what he's doing, Sideburn thought to himself. Slag, I just hope I know what I'm doing. . . .
"T-AI, I need a commline to Ultra Magnus."
"You've got it, Sideburn!"
Sideburn was only waiting for a couple seconds before he got a response from Optimus Prime's brother.
"This'd better be good, Sideburn," Ultra Magnus growled over the commline.
"Good to hear from you too, Magnus. Look, I shouldn't be doing this but . . . you're one irrate Prowl away from deep trouble, man."
"I seriously doubt it."
"Oh yeah? Well he's all set to report your skirmish with the Preds this morning to Optimus. And it don't sound too good for you."
"What's Optimus going to do? Slap my hands and tell me not to do it again? You don't scare me, Sideburn. Now, if you don't mind, I've got better things to do."
"Don't say I didn't warn you," Sideburn muttered, but the static from the line made him doubt the other Autobot had even heard him. Sighing to himself, he set about picking up the reckage from Prowl's fit.

* * * * *

"So I told him, if he was going to act like that, he could just pack up his things and move out."
"What did he say to that?"
"What do you think? Nothing. He just packs his things and walks out the door. I'm telling ya, REV, I'm real tired of it. I don't know why I thought an ultimatum would work when nothing else did."
"Hey, you had to try, Crosswise. So he'll go sulk for a few days. Then he'll see how happy you can be without him - and how miserable he is without you - and he'll apologize."
"Maybe," Crosswise sighed, "but he'll still be the same underneath. Inside a week, he'd be back to taking me for granted."
"Hey, you don't know that."
REV looked as though he was about to say more when a soft cough interrupted their conversation. Crosswise jumped, hurriedly backing away from REV as Prowl walked into the room.
"I'd ask what you two think you're doing, but I don't think I want to know."
"Hey, it's still a free world. We can congregate wherever we like."
"True, but you don't need to be kibbitzing in the command center. T-AI! I need some information."
"Sure thing, Prowl! What can I do for you?"
Prowl stifled an irritated growl; T-AI's perpetually cheery disposition was hardly what he wanted at the moment.
"Where's Optimus?"
"He's still out in the field, Prowl. Why, is something wrong? I can call him back if it's an emergency."
"I need to talk to him. It's rather important."
"Then I'll call him right away!" the overly cute hologram girl offered animatedly. Prowl wanted to sigh, but decided against it.
"Yes, T-AI?"
"Optimus, Prowl said he wanted to talk to you and that it was important."
"All right, Prowl, I'm listening."
"Actually, sir, I was hoping we could talk privately. In person."
"Very well. REV, Crosswise, finish out my patrol. T-AI, activate the global spacebridge."
"Yes sir!" the hologram girl chirruped. Prowl suppressed another sigh and watched the two Spychangers leave the command center.
"How lo--"
"He's entering the space bridge now. I've got research to run, so I'll let you two have your privacy."
"Actually. . .," he started, but the hologram was already gone. Not that I'm going to complain. Someone ought to find out how to reprogram her, he thought irritably.
"You wanted to talk to me, Prowl?"
"Yes sir. It's about Ultra Magnus."
"Yes, I know," Optimus replied calmly. "Come into my office."
"You know? How do you know?" Prowl asked as he fell into step with his commander.
"Because he called me," Optimus responded, gesturing for Prowl to precede him.
"He did what?"
"He said you might be coming to me with reports of his misconduct and that he wanted me to know everything you would tell me would be true."
Prowl just stood and stared as Optimus settled at his desk. This went beyond unexpected. This was downright flabbergasting.
"So, what happened?"
"I'm suprised you haven't heard it from the human news feeds yet. He caused a ten car pile up while intercepting Slapper, Gas Skunk, and Darkscream. In fact, he drove two of the cars right off the road. And he didn't even apologize, let alone help the humans involved."
"Ultra Magnus is the greatest Autobot warrior Cybertron has ever produced. He is not a diplomat. He knows his own weaknesses. Besides, from the sounds of it, you were there to take care of it."
"I came upon the scene two minutes after he'd left. He couldn't've known anyone would be along later."
"I wouldn't be so sure of that, if I were you," Optimus replied, absently toying with a peice of carved crystal. "Magnus probably detected you at a distance. Otherwise, he probably would have called the base."
"You can't know that."
"Can't I? You forget, he is my brother. For all our differences, he is still an Autobot."
"He doesn't act like it," Prowl muttered.
"His methods are not normal, no, but beneath his ruthlessness beats the spark of an Autobot."
"That ruthlessness you so admire nearly cost several dozen humans their lives. . . ."
"But it didn't, did it, Prowl?" Optimus interrupted, his tone sharp with rebuke. "And in your eagerness to judge him, you forget that he has saved your life more than once with his unorthodox mannerisms.
"Now, as it happens, I've invited him to join us here at headquarters and he has agreed to come. I'll be making a general announcement soon, but since you seem to have the hardest time with him, I thought I would take this moment to speak with you privately. This will be his home too and I will not tolerate you making him feel unwelcome."
"But. . . ."
"But nothing. He is an Autobot and my brother. I suggest you adjust your thought processes accordingly."
"Very well, sir."
"Is there anything else?"
"No, sir. Thank you for seeing me, sir."
"Prowl," Optimus sighed, "give him a chance. He's not a bad Mech . . . if you will give yourself a chance to see that."
"I'm sorry, Optimus, but I can't see it that way. He's a rouge element, a threat to our peaceful relations with the humans, and irresponsible with his power."
"He's also a strong ally in our fight against Megatron and Cybertron's finest warrior. And he will be here in ten hours."
"I still think. . . ."
"It's not up for debate, Prowl. Dismissed."
"Yes sir," Prowl muttered. Striding stiffly out of Optimus's office, he marched through the base's corridors until he reached the rifle range. Perhaps a few hours on the range would clear his mind.

* * * * *

Ultra Magnus rolled to a stop in front of the Washington Monument. It was, in his opinion, a rediculous place to meet. Especially since the global spacebridge could open anywhere in the world. The constant stream of humans flowing down the sidewalk next to him did nothing to improve his mood. Most of them were too wrapped up in their own meaningless lives to pay any attention to him, which only proved to him how pathetic they really were. Here he was, a giant car carrier with a Japanese license plate in the heart of the American capital, and less than two percent of the people walking by gave him more than a glance.
Morons. And they call themselves the most advanced species on this mudball. They're not worth the effort Optimus and his fools expend trying to save them.
"Mom! Look, it's an Autobot!"
"Don't be silly, Matthew. I thought I told you no more anime? There is no such thing as giant transforming robots."
"But Mom, he's got the Autobot symbol right there on his grill!"
Magnus watched as the young male pulled away from his creatress, weaving through the throng towards him. He remained impassive, waiting to see just what this youth was going to do.
"See Mom? Autobot sigils. And when's the last time you saw a car carrier sitting in front of the Washington Monument? Especially one like this?"
That did it. The previously disinteresed throng of passersby became a gawking crowd, jostling around to get a better look at this anomoly in their otherwise tedious lives.
I'm going to kill Optimus for this. Then I'll take the Matrix, resurrect him, and kill him again.
"All right people, show's over. Move it along, now. There's nothing to see here. Move along."
Ultra Magnus watched Prowl's approach, moderately impressed to see he had taken a little initiative in his disguise by powering up and applying federal decals to his doors. His vehicle mode was still non-standard, but the tone of authority was hard to defy.
"Well, you're certainly the last person I expected to see here."
"It wasn't my idea, now shut up and follow me."
Amature, he thought to himself as he pulled into traffic behind Prowl. He followed the other Autobot through the streets of Washington D.C., only to find they were driving in a circle . . . a circle that lead right back to the Washington Monument.
"All right, enough games. What's going on? Are you trying to create a scene?"
"I'd say you already did that just fine on your own."
"Prowl, Magnus, enough. I asked you here for a reason, Magnus."
"Well then, get on with it," Magnus growled. Of all the things that he hated about his brother, Optimus's tendancy to needlessly draw out a conversation was one that particularly irritated him.
"Prowl, join us at dusk. Magnus, let's go for a drive."
Ultra Magnus bit back a slew of choice phrases, opting instead to follow his brother. They were creating a mild stir, though Magnus suspected that was due more to Optimus's obviously non-American chassis than anything else. As much as he was hoping this drive would lead him to a spacebridge entry, he couldn't make himself feel completely surprised when it led, instead, to another monument.
"The Jefferson Memorial. You know, he was a slave owner, a womanizer, a rebel and malcontent in the worst senses of the word. He inspired a rebellion that spawned a rather bloody war."
"So what?"
"So? He was a rogue, an outcast and pariah in English society. And yet, despite his rather glaring character flaws, he's revered by Americans as one of the founding fathers of their country."
"Is there a point to this? Because if there isn't, I've got better things to do than listen to you drone on about some dead human, Optimus."
"No you don't. That's why I invited you to join us at headquarters. You're an Autobot, Magnus. All this solitude isn't good for you."
"I don't need you telling me what is and what isn't good for me, Optimus. I'm not one of your idiot lackeys like those Autobots you have in your precious headquarters."
"Does this mean you're changing your mind about staying with us?"
"No, not unless you're changing the terms of our agreement."
"No. Personal quarters, unfettered access to our energy resources and our computers, a key to the spacebridge network, and no questions . . . as long as you agree to work with me instead of against me. We share the Matrix now, Magnus. If you can remember that and act accordingly, then granting you shelter is the least I can do."
"Then let's go."
"We will. At dusk. There's one more thing I want to show you."
Magnus growled in irritation, but if his brother heard him, he didn't show it.

* * * * *

Optimus Prime sat parked next to Ultra Magnus in silence, staring across the street at The Wall. This was his eighth trip to this particular monument since he had started patroling this part of the world and, as every time before, he felt reluctant to speak for a moment. He could tell his brother was impatient to know why they were here, but he could also tell that, like himself, Magnus was reluctant to break their silence.
"You feel it too," he murmured after a moment.
"Where are we?" came his brother's murmured response.
"The Vietnam Memorial, also known as The Wall," he replied quietly, noting Prowl's approach from the west. The bright yellow-orange disk of Earth's primary was resting on the horizon, as if nerving itself up to sink below and plunge the world into darkness. It was a bit of a backwards metaphor, as it was really the Earth's rotation that was creating nightfall and not the movements of it's star, but no less fitting for that.
"Why bring me here, Optimus?"
"I . . . don't know. I suppose I thought it was a good metaphor for us. The Vietnam War very nearly tore this country apart. It wasn't until after this monument was built, several years after the war ended, that it began to heal."
"You ramble too much Optimus. If you have something to say, just say it."
Optimus sighed; his brother had never been one for patience. Or for extended metaphor. Perhaps this is a mistake. Why am I doing this?
"I would like to heal the rift between us, brother, but I know it will take time."
For a moment, Optimus was certain Magnus was going to say something. Instead, he lowered his rear doors, suprising Prowl.
"Top deck. I think we're done here, right Optimus?"
"Yeah," Optimus sighed. "Yeah, we're done here."

* * * * *

Prowl rolled up onto Ultra Magnus's top deck, unable, or perhaps merely unwilling, to relax. He still remembered his first trip with Ultra Magnus - as an unwilling passenger. Despite numerous trips since then, he still felt a twinge of worry as the locks clamped down onto his rims. He was trapped now, unable to move or even transform. Ultra Magnus could do anything he wanted to him, and there would be nothing he could do about it. Vaguely more disturbing was the realization that he kind of liked the feeling.
That's rediculous. Even if I did, which I don't, I would never . . . with Magnus? But I don't. He might. The other way. Probably does. Figures. Well, he'll be lonely. Course he's probably already lonely. Too bad, really. . . .
Wait, what am I thinking? Who cares if he's lonely?? He's a bastard. He gets what he deserves.

"All right, you can get down now."
Prowl was more than a little shocked to find that, while his thoughts had been rambling, they had returned to base. And he was powered up again. I was certain I powered down before driving up here, he thought confusedly as he backed down off Magnus's trailer.
He transformed then, taking a moment to peel the decals off his doors and to power down again before joining his brothers.
"Prowl, man, you okay?" Sideburn asked quietly.
"Yeah, fine," he whispered back. But he could tell his younger brother wasn't convinced.
"Everyone, you already know Ultra Magnus. He will be staying here at headquarters with us from this point forward. I am certain you will all welcome him and make him feel at home."
"Oh please, Optimus. Even I don't believe that one. Look, you guys go about your business, I'll go about mine. We'll stay out of each other's way, and everyone'll be happy, got it?"
There were a few muttered affirmatives and Prowl actually felt a twinge of guilt. He expected to be an outcast here. In fact, he was holding himself separate from the very first, as if he didn't really need them. As if he was afraid to become like them.
"All right, that's it. Back to work everyone."
Magnus stood aloof for a few moments, watching the other Autobots disperse. Prowl watched him from the hall, and felt . . . sad for him. The Spychangers vanished rapidly, as did the Build Team and Towline. Midnight Express and Railspike both tried to offer their welcome, but he brushed them off. As the three bullet trains headed out, Rapid Run paused and looked back at Magnus.
"You know, maybe if you weren't so hard to like, you wouldn't be so unwelcome everywhere you went. Try taking that chip off your shoulder."
Prowl winced, not entirely sure why. Of all the Autobots present, only Optimus actually made any physical contact with Magnus, but even that was brushed off.
Why is he being this way? Does he like being alone? And since when do I care?
Shaking his head, Prowl left the command center. He walked the corridors of the Autobot headquarters, lost in thought.
What if Optimus is right? What if there is more to Ultra Magnus than his uncaring attitude towards us? What if there's some other reason for him to act this way? Like . . . like some painful loss. Then maybe he's trying to hide something. Maybe he's so ruthless because lost something important and he's afraid to have that happen again.
But then why all the bitter rhetoric? It's so much easier to just accept that he's a ruthless bastard because he wants the Matrix and he isn't about to let the fact that his brother is the bearer stop him from possessing it. Except. . . .
Except he hasn't exactly been spewing all that rhetoric lately, has he? He's still a renegade, still a rogue element, but he hasn't tried to kill Optimus since their forced merge. Why? He's had plenty of chances. I mean, he's almost been nice a couple times since then. So why does he still spend most of his time alone and actively pushing us away?

Prowl sighed again, no less certain than when he had begun thinking. Looking around, he immediately recognized the corridor that marked the living quarters of himself, his brothers, Build Team, Optimus Prime . . . and now, at the very end, away from everyone else, Ultra Magnus. In fact, he was standing outside Ultra Magnus's quarters.
I wonder. . . .

* * * * *

Ultra Magnus paced out the dimensions of his quarters, from the workstation to his recharge berth, across to the drinks dispensor, over to the shower and hygiene alcove, and back to the door. They were . . . adequate. Nothing compared to his apartment on Cybertron, but then nothing in this base could compare to that. It was, he supposed, the price he paid for leaving that all behind to find his brother. But to be forced to live in this dump of a base . . . that was the last straw.
At least I have my privacy. Don't have to worry about their lives interferring with mine. I can come and go as I like, do whatever I want, and not have to worry about finding shelter in foul weather or trying to figure out where I'm getting more fuel.
Magnus looked around his new quarters again, found a chair, and lowered his bulk into it. Alone and, aside from the subdued sounds of air scrubbers, bathed in silence. He hadn't realized before just how noisy the industrialized world was. Or how much he had grown accustomed to the ambient noise levels. As much as he hated to admit it, he actually missed the sounds of nature.
"Computer, display results. Search terms: Ambient recordings, Earth, natural."
"I have a name, you know."
"Oh, T-AI . . . I didn't. . . ."
"Didn't realize I ran the whole system? That's okay. And if you're looking for nature sounds, I have all kinds. Is there a particular region or geography you'd like to mimic?"
"I hadn't decided yet."
"Well, why don't we start with something local and you can adjust it from there? Oh, and I think you're about to have a visitor."
"Fine, fine," he grumbled, "just keep it in the background."
The buzzing doorchime forestalled any more cheerful commentary from T-AI and for that alone he was grateful. Perplexed, but grateful. He hardly expected to be receiving visitors ever, let alone within twenty minutes of arriving.
And he certainly hadn't expected that visitor to be Prowl.
"Um, hi."
"Something you want, Prowl?"
"I just thought, well, since you're new here, I thought I'd see how you were, um, settling in. . . . Yeah. . . ."
"I'm doing just fine. And I don't need you or Optimus or any of the rest of you losers worrying your pretty little heads over me, got me?"
"Are you always this much of a selfish bastard or are you acting this way for some other reason? I'll have you know Optimus thinks there's more to you than this anger. I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you make it real hard, you know that? Rapid Run is right; you make it real hard to like you. I want to know why."
"How nice for you," Magnus growled. He slapped the door pad, no longer interested in continuing this conversation. The door only closed halfway before Prowl's hand shot out, catching the door easily and pushing it back towards the wall. Pneumatics hissed in protest, pushing against Prowl's hand. Magnus stepped back in surprise as the Autobot forced his way into his quarters.
"Maybe . . . now . . . you'll talk . . . to me," Prowl panted as the door hissed shut.
"What is it with you 'bots anyway?"
"An insatiable need to know the truth. And I'm not leaving until I get it."

* * * * *

WHAT am I DOING?
"Truth? How's this for truth? You have no right to force your way in here and demand answers to your assinine questions."
Prowl stood his ground, barely, in the face of Ultra Magnus's ire. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, the other Mech had a point. He was intruding on Magnus's right to privacy. And yet. . . .
"Why are you even here?"
"Get out, Prowl."
"I mean it, Magnus. Why are you even here if you hate us all so much?"
"Hate you? I don't hate you Prowl. You're not worth the emotion. Now get out."
"Lie to yourself if you have to," Prowl sighed at last, "but sooner or later the truth will out. It always does."
"I said get out!"
Prowl snorted before walking out. I'm not giving up, he told himself, just making a tactical retreat. Let him have his arrogant self-delusions a while longer.
The Autobot warrior left headquarters, transforming for a drive through the empty expanse of the Gobi desert. He didn't expect any Predacon troubles, and he wasn't on patrol. But he needed some time to think for himself, and he knew he wouldn't get that back at headquarters. Perhaps in the desert, alone, he could find enlightenment.

* * * * *

Days became weeks, and very little had changed. The Autobots continued as they had before, and Ultra Magnus was no more reliable. He was rarely seen at headquarters, and even then, he was given wide berth. A dark cloud hung around the powerful warrior, one no one appeared anxious to invade.
Prowl caught himself thinking about Ultra Magnus more and more often. Half the time, he wanted to beat the other Mech senseless . . . or at least beat some civility into his subprocessors. He knew Wedge had filed a handful of complaints about Ultra Magnus's condescending attitude, as had High Tower and Heavy Load. Railspike was even now compiling another report on Magnus's irresponsible exploits across the planet. As much as he agreed with his fellow Autobots, he still felt a nagging desire to understand why . . . why Magnus was acting this way and why Optimus was willing to let it slide.
"Hey, Prowl, wait up!"
"Something I can help you with, Wedge?"
"I sure hope so. Could you sign this?"
"What is it?"
"A petition. I'm tired of Optimus ignoring me, so I'm collecting signatures. I figure if he sees enough of us feel the same way, well, maybe he'll do something about Ultra Magnus."
"Wedge. . . ."
"Yeah?"
"I don't think this is the answer, Wedge."
"Aw, come on, Prowl. I know all about how mad he made you last week. You really did a number on that wall, you know. You can't tell me you don't wish Optimus would do something about this whole thing."
"You're right, Wedge, but . . . it's just not that easy."
"Why not?"
"It's . . . it's a brother thing, I guess," Prowl sighed. "I know X-Brawn would act the exact same way if it was me or Sideburn."
"Eh, maybe you're right. Maybe it won't change anything. But it can't hurt to try, can it?"
"No," Prowl conceded, "no, I don't suppose it can."
He signed Wedge's petition but for some reason, he couldn't help feeling dirty for it. Like he was selling out his own brother instead of protesting the behaviour of a rogue Autobot.
Don't be rediculous, Prowl. This is completely reasonable. Something has to give. Maybe if he was still on his own it wouldn't be so bad, but living here. . . . He needs to adapt. Maybe this will work where everything else has failed.
So why do I feel like such a shmuck?