Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ As the Rose Falls ❯ Kindred Be? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As the Rose Falls

Chapter 8: Kindred Be?

By: Dashing V. and Hellions K.

Blue soulless looking eyes, yet ones filled with peace, unveiled as it felt the presence and call of someone out side his world.

Turning his head he looked to see her, the one whom came every so often to look after him and his home. A smile played across his forever-blue lips as he pushed off the side of the glass that he had been resting against and came over to her. Stopping with his face level to hers, the smile still showing upon his smooth face as his wings floated about him. ::Welcome:: he greeted in his soft and pleasing voice as he reached out to touch her hand from his side. ::It has been a time since you have last come:: He wasn't really sure how long but...he knew that time had passed, he never did care for marking it really, for it meant nothing to him, just as it meant nothing to his other siblings. ::Have you been fairing well?:: he questioned with in her mind.

"Yes it has been some time," Viv said a soft smile upon her lips as the being inside the plant reached out to place a hand to the glass to 'touch' her own, his hand that was just a little larger then her own. She then sighed as her head bowed slightly for a moment before answering the softly asked question.

"I have faired well enough I guess, things have been a bit more..." she paused for the right words to say. "...Wounding I guess you could say, lately. So life in the ever-changing world has its ups and downs for me. Sometimes more up than down, unfortunately."

She then shook her head as she looked up at the being as he looked at her with those peace filled eyes. "How have you been fairing? I didn't have much time to look outside at the grove yet, it will have to wait till morning. I wanted to see how you were doing first, dear friend."

She walked along around the glass bulb, fingers trailing softly along the glass as she moved. "There are times when I wish that I could just stay out here, in the Plant," she continued to speak the thoughts that plagued her mind. Thoughts that she felt that she could not express to those who lived back in the city. She then turned her gaze back to the being inside. "Sometimes I feel as if you are the only one who truly understands me, as silly as that may sound."

She shook her head and ran a hand through her hair, which would need a hair cut in a few more days so she could masquerade as the gunman she held so dear to her heart. She then walked over to the panels along the wall and began to look over the systems. Punching buttons and flipping switches that have all become second nature to her over the years. Secrets of the Plants mechanics that have been passed down for generations, she is one of the few people who actually know how relic machinery worked.

::Wounding:: the word would echo softly in her mind, it almost a question but not quite, while the being understood the word mostly, in some aspects he still didn't having lived his life in a confined space he does not know much of the worldly things and mostly
prefers not too.

He moved gently away from the glass as he looked up a sigh passing through her mind ::What is there not to be fair? Though some of you humans are rather troublesome, dear one:: His lips then turned into a smile as his eyes crinkled at the corners, that was one of the walking siblings favorite words, friend, there were often times when he almost felt like he was talking to the sibling when looking upon this strange girl.

::Life is peaceful here:: he responded as she let out her thoughts ::Sometime too peaceful but there is much work to be done in keeping it alive:: His eyes fluttered close and then opened to reveal only half of what was beneath ::It is such a delicate thing, this
thing called life and yet you humans throw it away carelessly:: He shook his head as he moved further out of her sight ::so wasteful and you expect my siblings and I to always be willing to do things for you...:: he paused as he trailed off now looking out the other side of his dome, an almost sad look on his face yet one of joy there as well ::And yet we will continue to help you live, for maybe one day you will realize what you have and treasure it:: He knew that this girl was not like most but he still thought of them as a whole and more than likely always would, of course he had a feeling that she wasn't always human but something perhaps superior to them ::That is because, dear one, you have brought yourself out of the darkness and into the light::

She smiled as she looked down at the machinery that helped support the being that lived inside and adjusted some of the knobs that controlled the energy flow. She actually turned it down a bit, as the geogrove grew outside it helped sustain part of the power inside the Plant. There was a connection set up several decades ago that allowed energy to be transferred safely from the grove without damaging the trees.

"There are many things in life that are not fair. Mostly things that are wounding only to myself, concerning my beliefs," she replied about what is fair or not in life and she sighed. "One day I'm sure people will understand, or at least come to tolerate what I truly
believe in."

She shook her head as she went back to work, starting to pull up different diagnostics to run upon the Plant to see how it is running. She knew that it would take a good couple of hours to run through the diagnostics so she walked over and leaned against it. Eventually sliding down to a sitting position before she scooted over into the small niche behind the bulb, a spot where she could look through the bulb in a light bluish haze. She wrapped her arms around her knees as she stayed folded up and rested her chin upon her knees.

Her gaze wandered away from looking through the globe as she listened to the words of the sibling inside of the Plant.

"It's hard to try and make them understand," Viv said softly. "Sometimes it is hard to understand life is precious until there is a chance that it will be lost."

Her words are in reference to the accident that happen within the Plant itself when part of the ceiling collapsed. She had nearly lost her life, the jagged scar that ran diagonally down the length of her back the result of that accident. She had been but a child, no more then eleven or twelve years old when it happened.

"I do only as much as one human can, to do what is right," Viv said as she looked back inside the bulb. "I guess it is in my own way atoning for what humanity has done to your kind, dear friend."

He moved back over to where she was sitting up against the wall and rested on the glass, stretching his form out to lie upon the bottom as he crossed his arms and laid his chin upon them. He lay there looking at her for long moments, just letting her speak. Finally he too said something ::That is all you can ask, one who walks, for that is all that you are capable of:: His voice was soft having that soft echo come back into it as he watched her and talked with her.

::You give humanity credit, that I can say:: Another sigh would lap against her mind, much like the waves would lap against the shore.

He then propped himself upon his elbows, letting chin rest in hand, as he looked at her with those empty peace filled eyes. ::You look tired...maybe you should go relax in the grove, I am sure that it is pretty right about now::

Viv sat up a little straighter, as best she could in the small space, and leaned forward in the little space till her forehead touched the glass, with a light sigh, her hands placed beside her cheeks as blue-green eyes slid closed for a moment. Just resting and listening to the being inside as she felt the smooth, cool surface against her skin.

"Maybe..." she started and was cut off as one of the diagnostic tests finished and let out a loud chirp in the silence causing her to forget where she was and she straightened up in the space only to catch part of the curve of the glass. *Whack*

"Ow, that smarts, ow...ow...ow," she muttered as she rolled over and crawled out of the space on all four. Sitting up she rubbed the back of her head with her right hand and stood up. Shaking her head to clear away the bit of watery stars she saw she wandered back over to the panel.

Blinking a few times Viv made herself focus on the readout of the test. Dropping her hand from the now newly forming lump on her head she began to tap at the buttons to see what the final report was. The test ran green, which was a good sign. The energy flow had adjusted properly outside and there was no break in it's current. Seeing that the other tests would probably take till morning to finish she turned and walked back over to the bulb and sat down cross-legged before it, leaning foreword till her head touched the glass as both hands went to the skillfully whacked spot.

"I think I'm going to be feeling this for the next week," Viv said as she sat there, golden blond hair all splayed out as it rested against the glass. "Maybe once my head stops hurting...or...the world stops spinning round and round...I'll go outside....ow."

The sound of waves lapping softly against rocks would enter the girl's mind as the being chuckled at her ::You are just like my sibling sometimes....:: he trailed off as he smiled at her from with in the bulb. One he did not want to say more, knowing that the siblings whom came to visit every so often preferred not to be talked about to humans, so that it wouldn't interrupt with their work, he rather agreed.

He gave a nod as his arms laid against the glass his head still up, ::it will at that dear one, maybe one should be more careful…but do not let the time get away, it is late::

Viv chuckled softly as well as she found the world coming back into focus as she listened to the being inside the plant. The soft lapping of waves that entered her mind being on of the calming forces to her scattered mind. She then sat up a soft smile upon her lips as she
looked at the being, her hair falling in a bit of an odd disarray around her face from how it had been pressed up against the glass. She then let out a soft sigh.

"You're right as usual, my friend," she said as she stood up and looked around the room. "I think that I'll take a bit of a stroll around the grove before catching a couple hours of sleep. I have a feeling that I'm going to have quite a bit of work to do."

She placed a hand to the bulb as she looked down at the being that was still laying at the bottom of the bulb, before she then leaned forward and kissed the bulb. She has felt a strong bond, almost a kinship, with the being inside this Plant, because of the accident.
She was probably one of the few humans that carried any sort of bond with a sibling Plants.

"I will see you in the morning, my dear friend," she said softly, she then turned and walked out of the room.

Viv then walked through the twisting and turning hallways till she reached the door that lead out into the grove. She would wander for quite a few hours before she went back inside to rest in the small room.

She spent the rest of the week working on the repairs that were needed for the Plant in the evenings while she conversed with the sibling inside the building. The morning and early daytime hours were spent tending the grove, making sure that the new growth was getting the nutrients that it needed and was free of illnesses. It was an exhausting week but well worth it in her mind, each night she would fall asleep with a content smile upon her lips. Half of the time she was crashed out on the floor in the heart of the Plant next to the glass bulb where the sibling resided.

She gathered up her supplies and packed them in the pouch, picking up her long red jacket she put it on and shouldered the pack as she headed back down to where the sibling was.

"It is time for me to go, my dear friend," Viv said as she placed a hand upon the glass, before she kissed the dome. "My work here is done, till my next visit. Take care of yourself."

She then turned and walked out of the plant and mounted her Thomas. Giving the animal a soft kick she settled into the seat for her long ride back to the city of October. Little did Viv realize that an object had fallen out of her pack with in the room where she had spent part of her time. It was an old, tattered, well-loved hand made black cat toy.

The being came up to the glass at the girl's words, an almost sad look upon his forever unchanging visage ::I am sorry to hear that:: He then gave a soft chuckle ::I am not the one who takes care of me, little one, I must depend upon others for that:: Ironic too he thought to himself as he brushed pale blue fingers against the dome of glass, where her lips had touched it. ::Take care of yourself, dear one, I will be here:: He then went off into an unseen corner of his world, he knew that the siblings were due here soon, just as well that she had left now, but...he would still miss her.