Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ In Vino Veritas ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

I don't own Trigun or any of the characters in this story. And besides, I don't have any money, anyway. So please don't sue.

In Vino Veritas
By Esor

Chapter 1

Big Duke's Tavern had seen better days. Once, it was one of the most popular bars in the entire town. Outlaws, bounty hunters, wealthy businessmen, common folk, all mixed and mingled nightly at Big Duke's. There were rooms available for rent upstairs to any road-weary travelers that happened to grace Big Duke's doorstep. There was the occasional man who rented a room for the purpose of keeping company with women other than his wife, but that was none of Big Duke's business. The first floor held the actual bar, where patrons gulped down pitcher after pitcher of the best liquor within fifty arls. But this was all nearly twenty years ago. People gradually lost interest in Big Duke's Tavern, leaving mainly a few die-hard drunkards keeping the small business afloat. Now, nothing much of interest happened at Big Duke's Tavern. Of course, that was before a tall, blonde man in a long red coat accompanied by two women strolled in, looking for a place to rest for a few days.

Meryl Stryfe of the Bernardelli Insurance Agency sat at the end of the bar, scowling. A few unconscious men snored loudly several seats away from her and the owner of the tavern busied himself on the other side of the counter. Milly was upstairs, sleeping. Meryl's larger partner seemed blissfully unconcerned that Vash the Stampede was currently loose in town, searching for the bandits that kidnaped five people after a botched robbery that morning.

"Oh, don't worry Meryl. I'm sure Mr. Vash is okay!" Milly half an hour ago, before turning over and going to sleep.

It wasn't that Meryl was worried. Of course she wasn't worried. This was the Vash the Stampede, after all. He certainly could take care of himself. What upset her was the fact that he up and disappeared without so much as a "See you later, Insurance Girls!" He ran off into the evening, like some knight in shining leather, leaving them behind with nothing to do but wait. Meryl and Milly had been assigned to follow Vash, minimizing any major damage, destruction, or general chaos he might cause. But, how were they supposed to do that when the broom-headed idiot up and vanished whenever he felt like it? If at all possible, Meryl's scowl deepened. She was sure that the next few days would be spent cleaning up whatever mess Vash was out there causing. Property damage claims, personal injury reports, and all the other paperwork would take days to complete. All because that stupid, goofy, reckless moron decided to run off and play hero...

"Uh...miss?" A voice interrupted, snapping Meryl out of her anger induced trance. "Here...you look like you could use this." Meryl looked up to see the bartender slide a frothy mug of beer in front of her. "It's on the house." She stared at the mug for a few moments before deciding to take a sip. Who knows, it might actually help to calm her nerves some. And besides, what could one little drink hurt?

*****

Vash slowly ascended the steps to the second floor of Big Duke's Tavern. Dealing with the panicked robbers had been more difficult than he originally expected. When he caught up with them in an abandoned factory north of town, they were ready to shoot at anything that moved, including the innocent hostages. But despite that, everyone was now safe and sound back at their homes, and Vash was ready for a good night's sleep.

A slight movement at the far end of the hall caught Vash's attention. He approached cautiously, wondering who would be up and about at this time of night. A figure clad in white leaned against the wall, moonlight reflecting off short, raven black hair.

"Meryl?" Vash said. "Is that you?"

Meryl looked up, her usually sharp gray eyes clouded and unfocused. She moved away from the wall, wobbling slightly on unsteady legs. Concerned, Vash reached out to steady her, but she angrily pushed him away. That's when he noticed the half empty bottle of scotch sitting on the floor near her feet.

"Well, well, well. Look who finally decided to show up!" Meryl slurred. She started forward, waving an angry finger in Vash's face. "Who do you think you are, anyway? You abandon us whenever you want, and just waltz back like nothing happened. Well, I'm not some pathetic little sidekick who's gonna sit and wait for you while you're off on your big adventures! "

Vash sighed, placing a hand on Meryl's shoulder. His sea green eyes, filled with concern, locked with hers. "You're drunk, Meryl. C'mon, you should get some rest..." He said in a caring, sincere voice.

Meryl quickly spun around, shrugging Vash's hand from her shoulder. For a few long moments, she just stood there, her back to him, her head bowed. "Why do you always do that?" She said, imploringly.

"It would all be so much easier if I could hate you. But I can't even stay mad at you for more than a few minutes..." She whispered, her voice wavering slightly.

She suddenly turned to face him, eyes brimming with unshed tears. "Why couldn't you just be a jerk? Why couldn't you have been the bloodthirsty murder everyone thinks you are?"

Vash paused, confused.

Her voice raised from a quiet whisper to a desperate shout. "Why do you always have to be so kind? Why do you always have to be so nice about everything??"

She lunged at him, pounding her small fists against his broad chest. "Why did I have to fall for you, dammit!?"

The tears welling in her eyes finally began to spill down her cheeks as sobs wracked her body. "Why?" She pleaded weakly. "Why?

Vash slowly wrapped his long arms around Meryl's lithe body, holding her close as she cried. He had no idea she felt this way. It was something that the usually in control Meryl would never admit, not even to herself. Gradually, she quieted down and her shoulders stopped shacking. Vash looked down to see that she had fallen asleep against his chest, her face now peacefully content. He gathered her into his arms, walking silently to the room she shared with Milly. Vash gently placed her on the vacant bed and pulled the covers over her shoulders.

"Goodnight Meryl, we'll have to talk more in the morning..."

With a final glance back to the sleeping woman, Vash turned and let the room. Meanwhile, Meryl smiled in her sleep, dreaming pleasant dreams of a certain blonde gunman in red leather.

Author's Notes:

Hey, it's my first Vash/Meryl! Um, I don't have too much to say about this chapter, but the next one is on it's way! Ja ne!