Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ No Keys ❯ Heads or Tails ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

3. Heads or Tails?

Several hours, and several drinks later, a trio consisting of two stumbling, happy drunks and one halfway sober priest returned to the hotel. As they entered the small lobby, Milly was singing a loud, off-key song, and Vash was cheering her on, while Nicholas pretended not to know either of them.When Milly reached the door to the room she was sharing with her partner, Vash and Nicholas bade her hasty goodbyes and scurried off down the hall. They didn't want to face the wrath of Meryl, should she awaken.

Three doors down, Vash realized the hard way exactly what he had left behind when leaving his room earlier.

"No key." he mumbled

"What do you mean, no key?" Nicholas asked incredulously.

"I mean, I don't have my keeeey..." Vash looked puzzled and thought about blowing off the door handle with his silver pistol. He pulled the gun from his pocket and stared at it, for a second.

"Don't you even think about doing that. You wonder why you have a property damage bounty on your head? Stupid stunts like that are why." Nicholas shook his head. "Did you loose it at the bar?"

"I don't know...Maybe."

"Well they aren't going to give you another key unless you pay them, and I know you spent all your money at the bar."

"Do you have money?"

"No."

"I'll ask Milly for the money in the morning. She and Meryl still owe me from the last time I paid their bus fare."

"So where will you sleep?"

Vash curled up on the floor outside the door. "Right here, will work."

"You can't stay out here!"

"Why not?"

"Because you can't!"

"You got a better idea? You don't have any money, I don't have any money. Right here will work fine."

"I don't have money, but I have a room." Nicholas sighed.

Vash looked up at him. "You'd let me stay in your room?"

"On the floor, yeah."

"Why do I have to sleep on the floor?" Vash protested as he followed the priest down the hall.

"Well, maybe because it's my room?"

"SO?"

"Look, you're the one that lost your key. And you seemed content to sleep on the floor over there." Nicholas thumbed over his shoulder back toward Vash's room.

"That was before there was another option!"

"And what is the other option, Tongari?"

"BED!" he exclaimed as Nicholas unlocked the door. Vash scurried past him and flopped over on the bed.

Nicholas sighed and pulled the door shut behind him. If they got thrown out of the hotel completely, there would be no bed to fight over. He produced a coin from his pocket and turned to the red-clad outlaw stretched out on the bed. "Flip you for it."

"Fine. Heads." Vash replied, eyes already closed.

Nicholas tossed the coin in the air and caught it. Slamming it down on the little table next to the bed, he laughed triumphantly. "TAILS! Floor for you, Tongari!"

"But wait! How do you know it wouldn't have been heads if I'd flipped it?" Vash protested.

"Oh, you have GOT to be joking me."

"Nuh-uh! I get to flip it!" Vash grabbed the coin, and stood, swaying slightly. Nicholas laughed at him.

"Never could hold your liquor well, Tongari..."

"Shutup, you. It's gonna be heads, and you're gonna sleep on the floor." Vash stumbled, and stopped moving somewhere on the other side of the room. He tossed the coin in the air, and it fell right out the window.

"Now you've done it. One less coin for my pocket, AND you sleep on the floor." Nicholas sighed.

"Wait! I'll run down there and check!" Vash tried to run to the door, tripped over his own feet and fell to the floor.

"And that's where you stay, Tongari. I am not letting you out of this room to go down there and pass out in an alley." Nicholas shook his head, wondering why he cared at all if the troublesome outlaw slept on the floor, or beneath the window several floors down.

"That's just because you KNOW it's heads," Vash slurred. "There's room on that bed for more than one person, you know. Why I gotta sleep on the floor?"

"Oh no you don't!" Nicholas looked at him with complete shock. "I've seen you sleep. You take up a whole bed!"

"Do not."

"If I share, you sleep on the edge, so that if you DO take up the whole bed, I don't end up on the floor."

Vash laughed. "Flipyouforit..."

"No way. You'll throw another coin out the window."

"Will not!" Vash protested, crawling up into the bed.

"You will too," Nicholas muttered, sitting on the edge of the bed and pulling off his boots.

"Willnot..." Vash mumbled the words, already half asleep. Nicholas looked over at him, and started to yell. How the hell did that damn tongari get the wall?! He thought to himself. But he couldn't seem to stay angry at the sleeping form. Wake up, damnit. You're easier to be angry at when you're AWAKE! Nicholas sighed and smiled slightly as he undid the buttons on his jacket. Stupid conniving tongari... Shirtless, Nicholas lay down on the small space left for him on the bed.

~~No Owari!~~