Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Smile ❯ Smile For Me ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

As your bony fingers close around me

Long and spindly

Death becomes me

Heaven can you see what I see

Legato had awoken that morning in a foul mood. Fouler than usual. There was no particular reason for it that he could think of, but today, he decided, would be a good day to die.

Legato. The voice sounded in his head, quiet, but insistent. No details, no specifications. His Master only called him when it was important. He knew the drill well. He walked over to the small closet-like area, and pulled the black clothes from their hangers. Never white when the Master called. Never. Legato never knew what sort of mood Knives would be in when he called him, and had learned the hard way that blood was rather difficult to get out of white clothing. Never white when the master called.

**********

Hey you pale and sickly child

You're death and living reconciled

Been walking home a crooked mile"Smile for me, Legato." The cold blue eyes mocked him.

Legato didn't respond. If there was one thing Knives hated, it was to be denied, and Legato knew it. Such a good day to die. And what better honor than at His hands...

Knives leaned closer. Ice blue eyes stared into gold. "Smile." That's an order, Legato.

Legato turned his face away.

Knives reached out, taking Legato's chin in a gloved hand. "Fine. If you won't smile for me, I'll make you smile." Legato heard Knives' laughter in his head, and fought the urge to grab his head with his hands. The laughter grew louder, and his mind felt like it would explode.

Paying debt to karma

You party for a living

What you take won't kill you

But careful what you're giving

Knives held Legato's chin steady in one hand, as he picked up a knife from the table beside him. He held it up in front of Legato's face. Do you see this? Legato ignored the words, in his mind, and focused on the reflection of his own eye in the metal. Now, you smile. Knives moved the blade toward Legato's mouth. He set it on the corner, and drug the sharp edge up one side. Blood immediately began to well up in the fresh cut. He did the same on the other side, cutting a freakish caricature of a smile. And since you've decided to be difficult today, I've decided I don't want you here. You bother me, Spider. Legato didn't answer. You want me to kill you, don't you. I hear it in your head. You want me to want you, don't you? I've heard that, too. Legato stared him down, not looking away. He neither confirmed or denied Knives' statements.

There's no time for hesitating

Pain is ready, pain is waiting

Primed to do it's educating

Knives tilted his head, looking at Legato with a tinge of amusement. He removed one of his gloves, and reached out. His fingers met the flesh of an arm. Not Legato's, but his brother's arm. The arm he'd given Legato so many years ago. You have the distinct honor of having this, you know. Legato closed his eyes. With all I've done for you, you dare defy me? Have you learned nothing? Have you no respect at all? He put the glove back on, and put his hand on Legato's cheek. You do not deserve the honor of dying the way you want to. And I will never want you. Never. How could I? Go. And when you're gone, find a mirror. Take a long hard look at what you are. And don't ever forget it.

Unwanted uninvited kin

It creeps beneath your crawling skin

It lives without it lives within you.

Knives slapped Legato hard across the face, sending blood flying across the room. It was still flowing freely from the cuts, one side redder than the other from the slap. Legato got to his feet, and walked out of the chamber. You can hide nothing from me. The voice sounded in his head as he walked away, and then the laughter started again.

Can you feel a little love

Can you feel a little love

Dream on dream on