Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ The Sound of Life on Planet Gunsmoke ❯ Episode 29: Desert Storm ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Sound of Life of Planet Gunsmoke
by Hungry Sano
Episode 29: Desert Storm
On the bus, Vash and Knives were at it once again. Some how, they had the entire bus chanting Vash's trademark slogan as Meryl rubbed her temples, trying her best to hold on to her sanity. Wolfwood sweat dropped has Milly cheerfully joined in. Even Quinton got into the act. After a while Meryl banged her head against the back of the seat in front of her.
Meryl cried, "Make....it.....STOP!"
Suddenly, the bus came to a screeching halt, causing everyone to fall forward. Meryl sighed with relief as her believe in a god was restored by this event. She smiled and said, "Thank God..."
The bus driver then announced, "Looks like we can't go any further. There's a sand storm out there, so we're gonna have to wait until it clears before going in that area...."
Wolfwood looked out the window and thought to himself, "Since when do sand storms stay confined to one spot? There's something going on here...."
Vash paused as he senses alerted him. He looked toward the center of the storm and saw an approaching figure.
"Someone's coming out of that sand storm," said the humanoid typhoon
Quinton pointed and exclaimed, "It's a woman with an eye patch and a funky looking hat!"
Meryl paid attention and noticed something else completely weird, "Hey, why does it look like the sand storm is following her? But that can't be, it's impossible!"
Milly shouted, "That storm is headed right for us!"
The bus driver shouted, "Screw this, we're getting out of here!" He turned the bus around a slammed his foot down on the accelerator. The bus was going fast, but not fast enough to escape.
Wolfwood gritted his teeth, "Damn it! Dominique is back with some kind of screwy wind powers! This isn't good!"
Dominique smirked with her right hand in the air, "None of you can escape my hurricane..."
Before the passenger knew it, the bus was caught within a hurricane, twisting, flipping all over the place in mid air. Everyone held on to what the could as the wind ripped the bus in two, sending everyone flying. Screams in unison were heard as the hurricane tossed everyone randomly across the area of the desert.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dominique closed her eyes and said to herself, "Donovan, Viper and Desert Evil....it is your turn now...." She chuckled as she walked back to the lab to report to Legato. She was proud of herself for not failing him. She was happy that she could please the one she loved in whatever way possible.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Wolf wood's eyes opened to reveal his face was in the sand. He stood up and violently spat the sand from his mouth while dusting his clothes off. He sneered, "Damn....we all must have gotten separated by that hurricane. Damn Dominique....can't believe that crazy tomboy is back, too. Shit, and my cross is missing!"
A raspy voice said from behind the traveling priest, "Greetingssssss, traitor."
Wolfwood turned around with his .45 point at the man's head and asked, "Just who the hell are you?"
Viper replied, "I am Viper. One of the new Gung Ho Gunssssss. I'm here to take your life, Chapel!"
Wolfwood sneered, "I hate that name...but I hate having to listen to your voice even more!"
Viper quickly drew his gun and both fired at the same time. Wolfwood smirked as viper fell onto his back, then collapsed himself. Viper chuckled, "My bullet may have grazed you, Chapel, but the tips of my bulletsssss are poisssoned....what a fool...you aimed for my shoulder."
Wolfwood started to stand up as the graze on his arm healed right before Viper's eyes. Wolfwood then said, "I'm against killing people, Viper. But since you're not, I'll have to force you into leaving people alone."
Wolfwood aimed and shot the gun away from Viper and shot his kneecaps, causing the man to howl out in pain. He then walked away and said, "May you go with the protection of almighty God."
Viper sneered, "Go WHERE?! You shot my kneecapssssss, you moron!"
Wolfwood smirked, "That's enough, young man. Now lie down there helplessly and think about what you've done. I'm getting tired of having to shoot you."
Viper bitterly gritted his teeth at Wolfwood, "Damn you!"
------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------
Meanwhile, Meryl and Vash were already up and about, searching for the other passengers. Vash had a serious expression on his face as a bead of sweat went down the side of his face. He looked all around as they walked. Meryl looked up at the humanoid typhoon and asked, "Vash....are you okay? You look....different."
Vash smiled at her, "I'm just fine, Meryl. I'm just a little worried about the others, is all. I'm perfectly okay."
Meryl knew something else was bothering him. She wasn't going to fall for that fake smile like she used to. Meryl sighed, "Wolfwood had a point, Vash. Stop trying to take every little problem on by yourself. You're never alone. You'll always have me, Vash."
Vash paused for a second and looked at Meryl with a surprised expression, "W-what do you mean?"
Meryl blushed a little bit. "What I'm saying is that....I....well, since we've been around each other so long, I've started to," Meryl trailed off.
Vash raised an eyebrow, "What have you started to do?"
Meryl blushed. "I think I-"
*WHOOSH!*
*BOOOM!*
Meryl and Vash both were knocked back a few feet by the explosion that suddenly occurred. The tumbled across the sand as loud, maniacal laughter was heard. Meryl looked up to see a tall man with dirty brown jeans, a black shirt and a dirty brown vest. His hair was tied into a ponytail which blew behind him in the wind. The man smirked as he held up a remote control in his right hand and had an automatic handgun in the other. It was a black .45 with 'Death to all humans' engraved on the side.
The man chuckled, "Well, well, if it isn't Vash the Stampede and Meryl Strife of Bernadeli Insurance Company. I am the newest Gung Ho Gun, Donovan the Anarchist! Welcome to my mine field of death. I suggest watching your step. Hell, even if you do, I can randomly set off any mine with this remote control. So, the object of the game? Grab the remote without getting blown to bits."
Meryl thought to herself, "He's a good 30 yards away....I'm sure Vash can disarm him from here...."
Vash unleashed his hidden gun and took aim. "Obviously, you don't know much about me if you're playing that kind of game!"
Donovan smirked. "Oh, really?"
Vash smirked back. "Really."
Vash opened fire at the remote control in his hand. Donovan smirked and quickly smacked the bullet away with his pistol, deflecting the bullet. Vash's eyes widened as the bullet hit its target and blood stained his black body suit as a result.
"MERYL!!!" Vash cried as the insurance employee fell to the sand with a dull thud. Meryl winced as she held her bleeding shoulder. She started to shed tears because of the immense pain. Truth be told, she had never been shot before. Vash tried to comfort her to calm her down as he pulled bandages from his pocket.
Donovan chuckled. "What are you doing, Vash the Stampede? Did I say this game was over?! He pressed a key on the remote control and caused two explosions on both sides of Vash and Meryl. Vash got on to of Meryl to protect her from any more harm. A large piece of shrapnel flew by Vash, cutting him across his left cheek.
Vash cried, "STOP IT!!! Don't you have any compassion at all, you bastard?!"
Donovan shook his head with a sigh of disappointment. "Vash, you're a moron. She's only a human woman. Humans by nature live a short time. It's like having a dog. You don't expect it to live forever. If it dies, get a new one. Humans are no different."
Vash shook his head as he tended to Meryl's wound. "You're wrong! WRONG! I'll stop you...I don't care if I die, as long as I protect her from people like YOU!"
Meryl was in shock from hearing those words come from someone as goofy as Vash. She was questioning what Vash meant by that. Did he protect her because of his ideals or because he felt the same way that she did? Did Vash the Stampede love her back?
Vash finished bandaging the wound and said, "Hang tight, Meryl. You're gonna be okay. Just try to rest a bit."
Donovan smirked. "How touching, a supreme being like yourself protecting a weakling human. You make me sick! I suppose it doesn't matter, though. I can set off mines all around her, or I can just shoot her from here. You can't protect her and fight me at the same time, Vash. You know that."
Vash gritted his teeth and thought, "He's right. The only way to beat him is close range combat....I'll be too far away to protect Meryl. And if I stay stationary, he could take us both out with one of those mines....."
Donovan asked, "What will you do, Vash? You can't win. All you can do is die fighting or die thinking."
Vash's eyes narrowed as he thought, "What should I do? What should I do?!"
*BANG!*
A shot rung out from nowhere. Donovan looked around and then finally looked toward Vash and Meryl to see Meryl sitting up with a smoking derringer pointed in his direction. Her eyes were narrowed as she said sharply, “Never underestimate a woman with a gun.”
Donovan then looked down and saw that one of his mines was uncovered somewhat and now had a bullet hole in it. It cracked with electricity, threatening to explode. He gasped. “Y-you crazy bitch!” Donovan wildly scrambled from the mine. "HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!"
Vash then jumped up into the air and took aim. As Donovan ran, he prepared to detonate all the mines at once, but the remote was shot out of his hand and flew way behind him. Vash landed and smiled at Meryl with his thumb up. She holstered her derringer and held up the victory sign. And then...the remote fell onto the minefield and set off and explosion. Before they knew it, the explosions were completely random around the mine field.
Vash quickly scooped Meryl up into his arms and fled from the mine field, both of them frantically screaming their heads off.
------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
Meanwhile, Knives found a couple of the passengers and the bus driver. He checked the people for injuries and was thankful they were minor. He sighed with relief, but it seemed that relief was short lived. He sensed a menacing presence behind him, something that had Knives shaken very slightly. He slowly turned around to see his former right hand man, Legato. Knives didn't sneer, nor did he smirk. It wasn't even apart of his new persona. He looked calmly at Legato who smiled a smile that would confuse any enemy. The way Legato smiled, it made Knives unsure of whether he planned to attack or not. All Knives knew was this situation was bad. Very bad.
Knives asked, "So, Legato. What do you plan to do now?"
Legato smiled in a friendly manner, "Resume our cause, of course."
The sound of a gun clicking were heard from behind Knives. When the former leader of the Gung Ho Guns turned around to see what happened, he gasped. A man involuntarily had a gun to the head of a little red haired girl. Legato chuckled, throwing his head back in amusement as Knives gritted his teeth and sneered. Knives pulled out his black revolver and aimed for Legato's head. Knowing what Knives was planning, Legato smirked, "Are you going to shoot me, Knives? After I let your brother do the same to me, no less? I invite you to do it. Right between the eyes. I won't resist. Shoot me, Knives. I want you to."
Knives sneered, "Then, die."
*BANG!*
Legato fell backwards a blood from the hole in his head splattered across the sand. He landed with a dull thud as Knives took a deep breath. Knives usually didn't have trouble killing someone, but for the first time, he felt guilty. He looked at the passengers and saw the shocked looks on their faces, which made him feel ashamed. But, then he noticed something. The man who was under Legato's control still didn't move. His gun was still pointed at the little girl's head. Knives' eyes widened as he turned back to Legato. He was standing up once again and the hole the bullet made in his head started seal itself up.
Legato smiled insanely and said, "I see you haven't lost your edge, Knives. That was indeed a painful experience. I wish to share that pain....with her," he looked over to the little girl.
The little girl's eyes went wide as tears streamed down her face. She cried, "Daddy, no! Please don't shoot me!!!"
The man screamed, "My arm's moving by itself! Someone help!!!"
Knives thought to himself, "I have to break his concentration somehow....how does Vash do this all the time?!"
*BANG!*
The pistol belonging to the man that aimed at his owned daughter was fired. The man's head was turned away because he was too afraid to look at the result. The man gulped and slowly turned his head to his.....giant cross?!
Knives looked around, but saw no one. Legato frowned at his failed plan to rile up Knives. Wolfwood's cross had landed in front of the girl before the shot rang out. Before Knives could even thing of thanking Wolfwood, there was an unexpected surprise. From the distance, Milly Thompson came running, waving her arm, "Mr. Knives, I found you!"
Legato then smirked, "I see..."
Knives screamed, "Milly, get away from here, NOW!!!"
Legato laughed, "That would be too easy. I will withdraw for the time being. However, I will wait for you at the desert lab. It is 5 iles northeast of this location. I hope you don't keep me waiting..."
Legato chuckled as he walked away. Knives looked at Milly who seemed to be very confused with the situation. He then sighed with relief. Milly asked, "Are we just gonna to let him go? Want me to shoot him?!"
Knives cried, "No!" He then said more calmly, "Um, I mean there's no need for it right now...."
------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
Quinton dashed through the desert and thought, "I gotta find them! I gotta real bad feeling about this!"
*BANG!*
*BANG!*
Quinton stop dead in his tacks as two bullet holes were in the ground by his feet. He looked to his left to see a man with a dark blue coat, blue shades and somewhat spiked, black hair. This man had to desert eagle hand cannon pistols pointed at him. The man bore a blank expression on his face as he stepped toward Quinton in a fairly menacing manner. Quinton kept his hands near his two guns as the man came closer.
Soon, they were facing off, 10 feet away from one another. They looked each other in the eye, ready to draw and fire. Quinton's mind flashed a quick image from his past, but he easily shook it off as he prepared for this showdown.
The man spoke, "You must be Vash the Stampede's new companion. Sorry, but I have to kill you."
Quinton sneered, "Don't give me that 'remorseful killer' act! I'm gonna make you eat every word of what you just said!"
The man shook his head, "Fools die so young. Very well! Draw!"
Quinton shook his head, "No. I won't."
The man pointed the gun at his head, "I wonder how you plan to make me eat my words. Now draw or die."
Quinton closed his eyes, "I will not draw....nor will I die. I want to fight you...hand to hand."
The man scoffed, "You must not like life too much, kid. Too quick to act. Very reckless, you are."
Quinton gasped and thought to himself, "Those words...."
The man thought to himself, "He reminds me of someone....I've seen that face....no matter."
Suddenly, Quinton realized whom he was fighting, "Sensei! It can't be....is it you?"
The man smirked as he suddenly came to his own realization, "Ah, Quinton. It has been a while. Funny we should meet this way."
Quinton shouted, "What are you doing?! You're on the same team as the guy who murdered her....why, Trent?!
Trent replied, "Because...as you recall, he was hired by the townsfolk to kill her. He may have committed the act, but he only did what he was paid to do. He was a tool the humans used....just because Carla was a psychic. They feared her power and started to make up false rumors to get rid of her. Then they took it to City Hall and finally hired Viper to kill her. Of course, you remember how you watched her die like that....your one and only sister. That's called human nature. To destroy whatever is different. Protecting them would be just like agreeing with her unjust death."
Quinton shook his head frantically, "You're wrong! It's not right! IT'S NOT! Murder isn't an answer!"
*Flashback*
A red haired woman with long hair and purple eyes held the hand of little 10 year old Quinton as they walked down a sandy road. She wore a sky blue dress with white trim and he had on dusty brown pants and boots with a white button down shirt. His hair was shoulder length and uncombed.
 As they walked together, the woman said, "Quinton, as you grow up on this planet, you'll learn that violence seems like a way of life, but don't feed into it. Please don't choose to live violently and to hurt other people. No matter what happens, murder solves nothing. All it ever does is end lives and cause sorrow. Always remember that no evil deed can ever be equal to a good one, no matter how just it may seem. Live to be the way a real man should be."
Chibi qUINTON nodded with a bright smile "Okay! I'll do it! I'll do it just for you, Carla!"
She giggled and patted his head. “I'm happy to hear that. You're such a good boy!”
**End Flashback**
Trent shook his head in disgust. "Despite her beliefs, she was killed. She died believing blindly in the very ones who ended her life. And that's why they all had to die. They all had to feel the wrath of Desert Evil's revenge! That's while, `til this day, they all rot in a filthy ditch where they belong."
Quinton's eyes widened, "No, it can't be! You mean that mountain of dead bodies in that huge crater outside of June City..?!"
*Flashback*
Quinton, in the scene, 13 years old, walked across the desert outside of his hometown. He smelled something rotten. Something so rotten, he almost felt queasy. Despite the strong smell, he followed it out of curiosity. He wondered what in the world could smell so bad. As he drew closer, he realized it was a combination of unpleasant smells. He didn't recognize anyone of them, with the exception of one. Blood. He could smell blood coming from what looked like a crater in the middle of the desert. Despite the sickening aroma that filled his nostrils, Quinton walked closer and kept doing so until he reached the edge of this sand crater. Looking down into it, tears streamed from his face as he saw a pile of corpses. There were countless men, women, and children in a mangled pile. It was a landfill of corpses. Trent gasped at the sight and shouted, "No....NO! No person could be so cruel!"
Quinton dropped to his knees. "Why?! Carla...tell me why! Please tell me!!! Carla....I need you....! Help me!" He fell, onto his stomach, with his face in the sand. “Everyone's gone now. I'm all alone now. What will I do? What can I do?!”
**End Flashback**
Trent smirked. "That's right. It was me who did it, I was their executioner. So, what of it?"
Quinton sneered as her drew his guns. "Bastard! There were children in that ditch! You killed innocent children! Fathers.....mothers...they all died because of YOU!" His blood boiled in disgust and disbelief. The very man who his sister was in love with, the one who was like a big brother, the one who taught him how to defend himself, was a murderous sociopath. Quinton started to feel sick. The idea that this was a reality made him want to vomit.
Trent chuckled. "What makes a child innocent? That fact that they are young? ALL humans lack morals. Children are the worst because they are too young to understand their own cruelty. I don't know why you and your sister keep pretending to be apart of the human race. Don't you realize the moment they find out you're not human, they'll kill you where you stand? They naturally fear what is superior to them. Everyone fears God because of his power....just like humans fear us...because of OUR power."
Quinton shook his head rapidly. "Shut up! You're wrong!"
Trent laughed. "You understand my words, but your silly ideals won't let you agree. Shall we test your silly notions, then? Let's see what happens when you're in a life or death situation. I wonder if you would kill to stay alive. I would think so, the way you were so quick to draw your gun. But then again, your hands are shaking. Is it because you're too afraid to kill? OR is it that you don't want to kill the one man who taught you everything you know?"
Quinton slowly smirked as he spoke. "To tell the truth. I used to think that killing was right under circumstances of revenge, just like you believe so right now. But after meeting Mr. Wolfwood and Mr. Vash, I can gladly say that I know killing is wrong no matter what! As living things, we don't have the right to judge who lives or dies. Carla was a sweet woman who loved everything and everyone, despite their hatred! If she came back to life, I'm sure she would forgive those people, I know it! Why couldn't you? I know they did wrong, but even in death, Carla still lives on in my heart. I'll keep her with me always. You were in love with my sister, right? If you still love her, why can't you see her way of thinking and respect her wish for peace?"
Trent frowned with rage. "Shut up! You're nothing but a idealistic fool! If that is what you honestly believe, then killing you here and now would be an act of mercy!" Trent then smirked maliciously. "And, as touching as your speech was, I still plan on finishing this fight. Let's see how much of my teachings you've retained!" He then threw down his gun and got into a kempo stance. "Attack me!"
Quinton dropped his guns and stood idly, "I'm sorry, Trent. But, I can't fight you to the death. You never taught me to kill. In fact, you always told me that using the art for the purposes of murder was wrong. `Nothing can justify murdering your opponent', remember? I'm simply going to try stopping you, without resorting to murder. If you kill me, maybe you'll finally see how wrong you are. If that's what it takes, then, I'm ready to die.”
Trent scoffed. "You're an idiot. Do you really think letting yourself die will change the outcome? Then, so be it. If you wish to live as a weakling, then you can die as one, too!"
---------------------
Meryl couldn't help but notice that Vash looked a bit shaken for once. It seemed like her feared for her life more than she did. He was still carrying her; despite she only had a shoulder wound. He had her cloak slung over his shoulder and a bandage around her wound. She closed her eyes as the wind blew by them both. Vash kept looking straight ahead with his red face. He looked tough at times and other times he was the biggest clown on the planet, but he was still shy around women. Every since he came back after the fight with Knives, he had this feeling about Meryl that mad it harder and harder to be around her. At that moment, Vash had been blushing like crazy.
Meryl smiled. "Vash? Why is your face so red?" She knew the answer, but she thought it would be fun to watch the poor guy squirm.
Vash's face turned a deeper red. "Uh, I think I'm getting sun burned! Ouch, hot sun!"
Meryl giggled at Vash, as she became more familiar with the antics of the humanoid typhoon. Before they could continue their little contest of who would speak their mind first, they were interrupted by the sound of Milly shouting out their names. Just ahead, they could see Milly and Knives standing by a bunch of the passengers, along with some debris from the destroyed bus.
As Vash and Meryl regrouped with Knives and Milly, the look on Knives' face obviously meant that there was trouble. Vash picked this up right away and also took notice to some of the upset and frightened passenger. He looked to his bleach haired brother and asked, "Knives? What happened here?"
Knives looked up at Vash with a seriously grim expression as one word passed through his lips.
"Legato."
Vash and Meryl's faces went pale as they heard that name. Meryl could feel the icy chill slither along her spine slowly like a borrowing earthworm. Vash's heart pounded with fright as he had a flashback of Legato's previous actions. The dead bodies everywhere, the pain, and the suffering that seemed to have no end. Vash looked his brother in the face and asked with a shaken tone, "You mean....he's behind all of this?"
Knives nodded, "And that's not all.....I shot him.....I shot him right in the head. But, Legato didn't die. He stood back up like nothing was wrong at all! What Wolfwood explained is making more sense now. Legato's become immune to gunfire. Whatever way the other died, they'll be immune to those methods as well. We have to find a way to kill them somehow-"
Vash cried out, "No! No more killing, Knives! There are other options we can explore. We can find a way without killing anyone!"
Knives sneered a little, "Vash, listen to me! Humans are humans, but the Gung Ho Guns are NOT like normal people. Trust me on this. Every battle they have is a death match, you know that! Try naming ONE of them that's finished a fight without anyone dying!"
Vash narrowed his eyes, "There's still another way......"
Knives gritted his teeth, "Wake up, Vash! Unless we kill, we and every human on this planet will DIE! Do you want to be held accountable for so much death, including your own?!"
Vash's eyes widened, "What are you saying? Kill people to save other people?"
Knives replied, "That's right. It's the only way at this point. We're not up against idiotic bandit gangs. These are purely demonic sociopaths. They don't care for money....they just want to see blood."
Vash then asked, "If we kill the evil people to save the innocent....then are you saying I should have killed you before?"
Knives sighed. "There's no more time for arguing now, Vash. We have to find that lab and find out what's going on."
Meanwhile, Milly and Meryl were watching the argument, wondering what took so long. Also, they were worried about the others who hadn't been found yet. Milly looked around and said, "Oh, no! Where's my Wolfie-chan?!"
Vash an Knives both stopped an looked at Milly. Then they looked back to one another. Then, they both hit the ground with loud, massive laughter.
----------------------
Quinton cried out as he hit the sand face first. Trent smirked as he lowered his right leg from the kick he delivered. Looking down at his former student, he sneered, "What's your problem? I know I taught you better than that. Get up!"
Quinton slowly stood up as he coughed up some blood from the critical blow. Despite the pain he felt, he still smiled as a tear fell from his eye. He slowly looked up at Trent, " Beat me as much as you like, if it makes you feel any better. It hurts ten times more to see you the way you are now. No attack you muster can come close to that pain."
Trent smirked maliciously. "Oh, really? How about we give that a try just for kicks?"
Quinton felt Trent's boot ram into his chin, sending him violently across the sand on his back. With narrowed eyes Trent walked toward him and sneered as he stopped at Quinton's feet.
He looked down at the boy, "Pathetic. Before I kill you, answer this. Was it all worth it? Protecting humans only to die a retched death by the hands of the very one who trained you?"
Quinton slowly looked up at Trent, still feeling the pain of his former sensei's assault, "Yeah, it really was. I will gladly die for what I believe in. I don't care who disagrees."
Trent shook his head, "What a fool. Carla was naive and taken advantage of. I'm doing this to honor her memory, she would have wanted this. The humans must be punished for their actions! Her soul cries for justice!"
Quinton shouted, "No! Killing people's the very LAST thing she'd want you to do! Her soul isn't crying for justice! Her soul is crying for peace. She's been crying all this time because the memories you have of her are being drowned in the blood of the innocent people you've killed! Why can't you see that?! Nothing good will come from this!"
Trent smirked, "What a fool. Something good will come from this. We will create Eden after the scum called the human race is eliminated. Then, there will be peace....as long as no humans survive."
Quinton stood up slowly with a frown forming on his face. "You've gone insane. You're nothing but an illogical sociopath. You're just a wandering beast causing death for the sake of taking lives. It seems that nothing I say will change your mind. So I will fight you. I'll have to beat the truth into you!"
Trent narrowed his eyes, "It's about time. Come on!"
The two charged at each other with raging battle cries, preparing to mercilessly pound on one another.
----------------------
Meanwhile, Vash and the crew reached the lab and surprisingly enough, Wolfwood was already there, standing around. He seemed to be waiting for them. Milly waved her hand as she ran to her lover, lugging his huge punisher cross over her shoulder.
Milly chirped, "Wolfie-chan! I'm go glad you're safe, my dear Wolfie-chan!"
Meryl sweat dropped at the sight of Milly's overjoyed exclamations as the two humanoid plants where sprawled out on the sand in a mad fit of untamed laughter. Pounding their arms and kicking their legs, Vash an Knives looked as if they where going to die from a laughter overdose.
Wolfwood's left eye twitched as he saw that he was being made fun of. He sighed deeply and grabbed his punisher cross from Milly. Before Vash and Knives could start cracking jokes to add insult to injury, a rather large, cross shaped shadow cast itself above them. The looked up just in time to see it land on them before everything went black. Wolfwood dusted off his hands and stuck a cigarette in his mouth, "Try yucking THAT up, ya needle noggins..."
Meryl stood there with two dinner plate sized eyes and an economy sized sweat drop on the back of her head. She sighed with irritation, "Let's go, already...."
Milly looked around, "But, where's Quinton? He still hasn't shown up yet."
Wolfwood sighed, "I think it's best to leave him. It may sound mean, but I don't think a kid like him should be facing up against someone like Legato."
Meryl nodded, "Well, I suppose you're right...."
-----------------------
Legato smirked as he looked Rem in the eye and said, "Vash the Stampede will be no more. Tell me, how does it feel to be imperfect in every way?"
Rem looked up at Legato, "You should be able to answer that question. After all, there's no such thing as a perfect person. We all have weaknesses and strengths."
Legato chuckled, "You humans make me laugh. I've become perfect through death. You know you can easily escape from her with the gift you've received. Why don't you give it a try?"
Rem looked as if she wanted to cry, "Because I'm not destructive....I'm not like YOU!"
Legato smiled, "Not even to save Vash and Knives?"
Rem sobbed, "Stop it. Just leave them alone."
Legato's smile widened, "What will you do if I don't, Ms. Saverem? Will you kill me?"
Rem sobbed harder, "Let them live peacefully, I'm begging you...."
Legato held her chin up and looked into her eyes, "You amuse me. You still protect them both, despite the fact that Knives was the one who orchestrated your death."
Rem gasped with a shocked look on her face. It couldn't be true. Knives wouldn't do that, would he? Sure, he had his problems with her point of view and maybe with the attitudes of those prejudice against him, but he wouldn't kill. He couldn't have killed her! “You're lying!”
Legato smirked. “If you truly believed that I was a liar, explain why you sound so upset.”
Rem stayed silent, scanning her mind for a reply, but found nothing. Logic told her that Legato had no reason to like. She was right where he wanted her, after all. The main question was why she was there. Rem remembered dying, but now she was back with some deadly super power. None of this made sense.
“Vash, Knives, what happened to you while I was gone?”
Legato placed his palm in front of Rem's face as a blue mist was released from it and surrounded Rem's head. With a purely evil smile on his face he said, "IF you don't want to witness his death, then sleep. When you wake up, it will be all over for him."
Tears streamed down Rem's faces as she begged Legato for Vash's life, but all was in vain. She was now out cold as Legato's fun was about to begin.
------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
Trent charged at Quinton with a flying kick, "You idiot! Carla's death is the result of coexistence with humans! I'll never forgive them or anyone who protects them!"
Quinton blocked Trent's attack with his forearms. The force of the attack still caused sand to kick up around them. As Quinton held Trent off with his forearms and shouted, "What's wrong with forgiving people?! In order to repent, you must receive forgiveness. You said before.....that humans fear us like they do God. However, God can forgive others as long as they repent. You, on the other hand, never gave them a chance to! You've turned Carla into a demonic spirit!"
Trent's eyes widened, "W-what? SHUT UP!" He struck Quinton with a quick blow to the head which sent his former student to the ground. Trent hit the sand and slid back about 5 feet. He stood back up slowly, but he was still willing to continue.
He sneered at Trent, "You know it's true. You're using her death as an excuse to kill people. Don't you think that's wrong. No matter how much either of us cared for her, it's not worth taking so many lives in her honor. Her spirit is drenched in the blood of you victims! Why can you see that?!"
Trent's hand shook as he pulled out a hunting knife, "I told you to shut up!"
Quinton's eyes narrowed. "So, after all the people you've killed....you want MY life now? You know that Carla would never approve of what you've been doing. Okay, then we'll make this a one shot fight. The next attack landed will decide it all."
Trent sneered. "You haven't mastered that attack. You'll get your throat slit if you try it against me."
Quinton replied coldly, "I don't care.....if I die, then Vash and the others will stop you."
Trent nodded. "Then prepare for death."
---------------------------------
Vash looked to the girls, "Meryl, you and Milly should stay here. If things get rough, we'll need you to back us up."
Surprisingly enough, Meryl agreed without any fuss, which put Vash's worries to rest. As Vash, Knives and Wolfwood came to the thick, steal door of the lab, it opened slowly for them. They looked at each other, each gunman having his on worries about what was on the other side of that door. The inside was completely dark. Being the brave men they were, they stepped inside as the door closed behind them. The door slamming shut startled them a bit, but they continued inside.
In the still darkness, sound of scraping metal and faint voices could be heard. Before anyone could complain about the lack of lighting, bright white lights filled the room, revealing Legato in a big, throne-like chair with Rem dangling in the air by her wrists in front of him. She appeared to be unconscious with dried tears on her cheeks. Vash's eyes went wide at what he saw. Knives looked at the scene with disgust as he drew his revolver.
Legato smirked. “Welcome to hell......Vash the Stampede."
Vash's eyes filled with tears, "Rem.......REM!!!!"
---------------------
Vash: We all search for peace in a world full of hatred. Some say it's impossible and ask how one could find peace, if there is nothing but hatred. If peace doesn't exist to begin with, one must create it. One step is all it takes to begin the journey for peace. For peace, someone, anyone, must take the very first step.
Next episode: Cold as Ice