Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Truth, Lies and Gunsmoke ❯ Lady Priest ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Trigun

Truth, Lies, and Gunsmoke

Chapter 1: Lady Priest

The wind blows ever so slightly through the vast and almost empty desert. The double suns glare down hard, forcing a great amount of heat down upon those unfortunate enough to be traveling through this sandy and dry land. One lone figure happens to be so unfortunate. Said figure is wearing a long, gray trench coat over black slacks and a black, round collared shirt. A silver cross hangs from the person's neck and as this person walks, sand occasionally finds its way into the black dress shoes they traveled in. Black shades shield dark brown eyes from the sun’s brilliant glare and an oversized cross covered with dusty brown sheets is being carried over the shoulder. Needless to say, with the way this person was dressed combined with the baggage, the heat was getting to be a bit more than bothersome.

With a sigh, the cross is dropped onto the sand with a loud ‘thud’, which in turn, sends a large amount of dust upward into the form of a cloud, causing its owner to cough profusely.

“Dammit!” A feminine voice cries between coughs. “Oh, well. I guess this is what I get for being so cheap. I should’ve bought that darn thomas!” She wipes the sweat from her brow with her left hand and reaches into her pocket with her right. She then pulls out a small band which she uses to tie her long, black hair into a ponytail.

“I think I’ll take a short break,” she says to herself while reaching for her canteen which hangs freely from her belt. Popping the lid open, she pauses before taking a sip. It was there again, another flash of the past. The very reason she was traveling like this in the first place. The search for him, the person she held dear who had gone mad after the death of his father.

She frowns grimly as tears begin to fall. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. She wanted everything to just be like it used to be. She wanted the peaceful family life again. However, things wouldn’t be the same, even if she did find him and bring him back. Their last meeting was proof of that.

Flashback

The girl in black spun around to face a man about her age with long, blonde hair and bluish gray eyes. They both had guns aimed at each other’s heads, but neither was showed any signs of hesitation.

“Andy,” she said, “Tell me why you’re doing this. Why you are betraying your father’s wish?!”

“Heh.” The man recognized as Andy smirked. “Poor, misguided Rebecca. Don’t you see? My uncle has enlightened me to the truth. Kill the spiders to save the butterflies. My race represents the butterflies and yours…..the despicable spiders. Nothing but a waste of resources….barbaric destroyers of planets and life. Humans are nothing but a nomadic virus that deserves much more than just extermination.”

Rebecca’s eyes widened as she took an involuntary step back. “No. Y-you don’t mean that! Knives….he’s manipulating you! You can’t kill all spiders to save butterflies!”

Andy’s sadistic smile grew wider. “And why not, dear spider?”

“Because,” Rebecca’s face straightened into a serious and calm expression, “If you hunt the predators, then sooner or later, you'll become one yourself. Then, someone will want to purposely kill off your kind. Don’t you see, Andy? It’s nothing more than an endless cycle of death!” She was on the verge of tears at this point. “Think about who you’re hurting. Me, mom, Ms. Strife, Mr. Vash, and most of all, yourself! We’re the ones suffering.”

Andy chuckled. “Suffering? Um, no. Speak for yourself, Rebecca. I feel nothing. Not anymore. I threw away my humanity the moment I joined the reconstructed Gung Ho Guns. I’ll serve the most destructive death to the humans who killed my foolish father. Then, I’ll eliminate the rest with the power my uncle has given me. The power that made Vash the Stampede a legend!”

Rebecca sneered as she pulled the hammer back on her pistol. “Andy, please. For the love of God, don’t make me shoot you.”

Andy grins maliciously. “God? No, Rebecca. There is only one god present at this moment. That god is me! The god of death! The final judge of all humanity!”

Rebecca’s face showed nothing but fear as the hand holding the gun at Andy’s head shook tremendously. She swallowed hard as her teeth grit, desperately search for any courage, but finds none. Her heart pounded rapidly as he knees shake slightly.

Andy took delight in seeing Rebecca’s reaction. He enjoyed every second of it, seeing such a strong willed person reduced to a frightened little girl. “Rebecca Thompson, you are quite a piece of work. You came all the way here, prepared to fight. Yet you haven’t the courage to stand up to me completely. Is it because I am the offspring of Vash the Stampede? No, that couldn’t be.”

His expression softened as he gently places his hand on the side of her face, causing Rebecca to shift and shudder uncomfortably. Her entire body went stiff.

Andy’s smile remained as he narrows his eyes and pulled her body close to his, their faces nearly touching. “Or is it because you know that it wouldn’t take much for me to dispose of you? Possibly."

Rebecca grunts as she pushed Andy away and serves him a well placed slap in the face. “Don’t you ever put your hands on me!” Her face turn red with anger, but her eyes are misty and dropping tears down her face.

“But I think the real reason is,” he continued with a frown, rubbing the red mark on his face, “because I know everything about you. Your fears, your likes, your dislikes….even your worst nightmares. I won’t kill you. Not at all. I’ll let you off with a warning. Stay out of my way, or I’ll show you the meaning of living hell.”

With those harsh words said, he simply turned on his heels and walked away toward a nearby town, pulling a large silver revolver from its holster. He was too far away for her to see exactly how he was doing it, but Rebecca witnessed his right arm transforming and somehow melding with the revolver. His arm swole up and turned green, forming into some kind of cannon. Once it formed, she could see a ball of light charging up at the nose of the strange looking weapon.

She ran toward him, holding out her hand, screaming for him to stop, but it all fell upon ignorant ears. This wasn’t the Andy she grew up with. This person before her was nothing but a monster.

Andy shouted out before firing, “This, Rebecca, is what will happen if you make any attempts to stop me!”

“Andy, please! I’ll do anything, just don’t use that…!”

A loud, booming explosion followed as everything turned to white. The last thing Rebecca saw is Andy’s back before she fell back. It was either the shock of witnessing the horror, or maybe the impact of the weapon that got to her. No matter why the reason, she passed out then and there.

Moments later, Rebecca found herself lying in the sand on her back, staring at the clear blue sky. She sat up quickly, preparing herself to face Andy again, but then she realized that she was alone once more. Everything seemed pretty much normal until she turned her head in the direction of the town. All she saw was an oversized crater with smoke rising upward from the bottom portion of it. The entire town had been swallowed from the sonic burst of Andy’s weapon.

She gasped as she says to herself in horror. “Angel Arm.”

End Flashback

“Andy…” she says sadly with a sigh. She doesn’t notice the sound of a motor coming from just ahead.

A voice calls from ahead, “Hey, Missy!”

No response.

“Uh, Miss?”

Silence.

“Stick ‘em up, girlie! This is a hold up!”

Rebecca’s head snaps into his direction instantly as her eyes glare poison tipped daggers.

There sits a man in a jeep with olive green overalls and a white t-shirt beneath. He’s wearing a dusty black cap and had bushy eyebrows and a beard that was just as bushy. His hair is black with random streaks of gray. He smiles nervously. “Now, don’t get all riled up, Missy. I was just tryin’ to capture your attention. Jus’ wanted to know if you needed some help there.”

Rebecca blinks for a couple seconds and then smiles. “Oh, that's all right. I don’t have much money, so I kindly decline.”

The man raises a brow. “I ain’t askin’ for anything in return. Consider it a favor.”

Rebecca asks, “And what will I have to do in return?”

The man sighs irritably. “Are ya always this skeptical?”

Rebecca’s polite reply was, “Skepticism is all a part of the code of the lone traveler. If one doesn’t have that, then one doesn’t have a chance.”

“Um, yeah, so do ya want a ride into town or not?” The middle aged man asks sourly.

“Sure.” Rebecca gathers her things and loads them into the back of the jeep quickly. She then hops into the front passenger side and smiles cheerfully. “You are a true life saver. You have my thanks. For your kindness, you get….”

The man raises his brow again as a miniature church is placed over his head.

“….a free confessional!” Rebecca cheers.

The man sighs. “Miss, that would normally be a good idea, but I kinda need to see in order to drive. Ya mind taking this tiny tabernacle offa my head?”

Rebecca sighs to herself and complies. “Well, I tried. It’s good for the soul to confess your sins, just so you know. By the way, in which direction are you headed?”

“Goin’ to New Augusta to see my brother’s new house and help him get situated in it.” He smiles. “He’s been doing really well, from what I’ve read in his letters. Says he owes it all to a geeky blonde in red.”

Rebecca raises an eyebrow. “Really? Say, what is your cousin’s name?”

“Frank.” says the man as he starts the jeep and pulls off. “You know ‘im?”

Rebecca shakes her head. “No sir. I was just curious, that’s all.”

“Oops! Forgive my rudeness, Miss. My name’s George. George Marlon. Pleasure to meet ya. Who might you be?” he asks.

“My name is Rebecca Thompson. I’m a priest from the east spreading love and peace!” Rebecca grins with the ‘love and peace’ symbol raised high. After getting a strange stare she lowers her hand and sinks a bit into her seat. “Oh, sorry.”

George shrugs. “Well, anyway, what’s with that big ol’ cross? It looks like a pretty heavy piece o’ work.”

Rebecca groans. “Man, you have NO idea. That thing weighs a TON. Sometimes it’s bothersome to lug around all the time, but I suppose it doesn’t help to complain.”

“Well, it’s good to vent about the things that bother you. It calms yer spirit and lets ya move on with a little more ease. Well, whatcha got in there that’s making it so heavy for ya anyway?” he inquires.

Rebecca responds darkly, “Twin .45 caliber pistols, a machine gun that fires fifty bullets a second and a fully armed rocket launcher for long range and large targets.”

George slams on the breaks and stares at her with wide eyes.

She smiles and shakes a finger at him playfully. “Just kidding!”

George sighs with relief and says before pulling off again. “Yer one weird girl, ya know that?”

Rebecca shrugs. “You’re not the first to think that.”

George smirks, “How surprisin’.” His words oozed with sarcasm. “But ya never answered my question. Why is that thing so heavy?”

Rebecca responds, “Because, my friend,” she smiles warmly, “It’s full of mercy.”


Milly’s face frowns up worriedly as she looks at her best friend. It had been years since Meryl had says anything, or done anything. She shut herself away from reality after ‘the incident’. She was now a blank, mute shell of her former self. Her husband and son were both gone forever. Vash died protecting his family and her son had been manipulated by Knives and turned into a monster like his uncle.

Seeing her like this would always make Milly come to tears. It was even now that her own daughter had left to find Meryl’s wayward son. She could remember the day she left like it was yesterday. No matter how many days passed, that single day was always fresh in her mind.

Flashback

“No!” Milly cried sternly. “I won’t allow you to do this. He may have been a part of our family, but he’s too dangerous now! Do you know what he could do to you if you rub him the wrong way?”

Rebecca sighed. “Mom, I know. But, you know as well as I do that this can’t go on. Someone has to do something!”

“Then I’ll go. This is too much for you, Rebecca.” Milly shook her head, forcing the tears back. “I won’t risk losing you like your father. I don’t want to experience that ever again.”

“Mom,” said Rebecca, “You told me once that if you believe hard enough, anything’s possible. I need you to believe in me now. I’ll save Andy and bring him back, just the way he used to be. Meanwhile, I’m counting on you to help Miss Strife. You, as her best friend, are the only one who can. Just like I, as Andy’s best friend, am the only one who can rescue him from the darkness.”

Milly tried to think of what to say to stop her, but came up with nothing but pure understanding. She nodded. “I believe in you.” She then goes to the far end of the room to retrieve a keepsake from Rebecca’s late father and gave it to her. “And so does he.”

End Flashback

At the moment, Meryl still slept peacefully. It was almost like nothing had happened at all. However, the peace is interrupted as Meryl awakens with a loud scream of terror. Her eyes are completely wide as she looks around the room desperately, shouting incoherently. She knows that Andy is safe and sound in the house, she just knows it. Frantically getting out of her bed, despite Milly’s protests, she pushes past her best friend and heads immediately to her son’s room to find it is empty. She gasps in terror at this discovery and begins to search the entire house with Milly behind her, trying to keep up.

After finding no signs of her son, Meryl finally drops to her knees, buries her face in her hands and cries her aching heart out. She didn’t want to face the reality that both her husband and son were gone. All she ever wanted was a family of her own and now it’s nothing more than just a sweet memory. Milly kneels down before Meryl and gently embraces her.

“It’ll be okay, Meryl,” says the taller woman, “It’ll be okay.” Milly herself had a bit of a difficult time believing that herself, but she still believed. She had made a promise long ago that she would believe until the very end. She tightens her embrace around her friend and begins to cry with her.

Meanwhile, inside of a crashed SEEDS spaceship out in the desert, Knives chuckles as Andy stands before him. “I’m very proud of you, nephew. Soon, Eden will be created, thanks to your contributions.”

Andy nods. “Yes. I’ll make sure that there will be no pest problems in Eden, by exterminating all of the spiders now. Especially the persistently insolent ones.”

“Are you referring to Rebecca Thompson?” Knives inquires.

Andy flashes a sinister grin. “Indeed. She’s a strong girl, which in turn makes her very determined. If she isn’t finished off early, she could prove to be a problem.”

Knives smirks. “So you’re saying that you’re willing to kill your childhood friend?”

Andy responds, “No. I’m saying that I’m going to kill another spider.”

Knives flashes a sinister grin of his own.

Arriving in May City, more particularly at George’s brother’s house, George turns to Rebecca and says, “Not that I need to tell ya, but mind yer manners and don’t mention anything about alcohol. It brings back some back memories for ‘im.”

Rebcca nods solemnly. “Understood.”

George nods back as he steps out of the jeep. The house he approaches has a fresh look to it, as if it was just built. It was a large two story house with a massive front porch. George could almost smell the fresh white paint and lumber as he walks onto the porch.

Rebecca follows behind him and whispers into his ear as he knocks on the door, “Remember, I owe you that favor!”

“Not now!” George whispers back sharply.

The door swings open slowly, revealing an aged Frank Marlon with the most quizzical look on his face. “That you, George?” He points at his brother head. “And why are ya wearing that tiny little church on your head?”

A growl is heard from inside the little church before George pulls the thing off and spins around with narrowed eyes. “I SAID NOT NOW!”

“Eeeep!” Rebecca cowers back and says meekly, “Sorry!”

“Hey, who’s your little friend there?” Frank asks, pointing at Rebecca. “And why is she dressed like a priest?”

Rebecca smiled politely while thinking to herself, “Could he be the same Frank Marlon that Mr. Vash spoke of? Why does he keep asking two questions at a time? Wait a minute, now I’M doing it!”

Just then, she notices both men looking at her, as if waiting for her to say something. Rebecca takes quick notice and bows politely. “My name is Rebecca Thompson and I’m known as the Priest from the East who brings love and peace!”

“Um, yeah,” Frank replies. “Anyway, c’mon in. No one else is here yet. My wife and son are looking for my troublesome grandson. He’s been hangin’ with a pretty bad crowd lately. I hope they bring him outta that before he gets himself into deep trouble. That damn Sand Slayer Gang is nothin’ but trouble!”

At that moment, Rebecca’s eyes narrow. She hangs her head down and thinks to herself, “The word ‘trouble’ doesn’t even begin to describe the Sand Slayers, form the news papers I've read. If they’re up to their same tricks again, it’ll most likely be another hostage situation.”

“Hey!” George shouts while nudging Rebecca’s side.

“Oh! Um, yes?” Rebecca’s innocent smile returns.

George sighs, “When yer in someone else’s house, it ain’t polite to go spacin’ out every five minutes! Pay attention!”

Rebecca chuckles nervously. “I’m sorry about that. By the way, can I ask you something, Mr. Marlon?”

“Yes?” Inquire both men simultaneously.

Rebecca sweat dropped. “Oh, yeah. I forgot you two were brothers. Er, Mr. Frank. Do you know exactly where in town their hangout spot Sand Slayers is?”

Franks nods. “Yeah. I was actually thinking of goin’ there myself. I wanna make sure my family is safe. I won’t let the same thing happen twice.”

Rebecca smiles her cutest smile. “May I accompany you?”

George frowns. “Hey, are you implyin’ that we’ll need a priest? That’s bad luck, dammit! Besides, if it turns ugly, you’ll be in danger. A girl like you shouldn’t be anywhere near something like that!”

Rebecca pats George’s shoulder. “You sure do worry a lot. You’re almost as bad as my mom! I’ll be fine. I believe that having a priest like me present will help defuse any situations that arise. Also, it’s not guaranteed that anything bad will actually happen.”

Frank sighs. “Well, c’mon, then. Not like we have a choice. A girl like you would find a way to show up anyway. Might as well go with the flow.”

“Gentlemen,” Rebecca says. “I am in your debt.”

George growls as he sees her going for her portable confessional. “Get that tiny church away from me, lady.”

“But it’s free.” Rebecca whines. “It usually costs fifty sea cents.”

The trio leaves the house and gets into the jeep. The Marlon brothers sit in the front as Rebecca takes the back, along with her luggage. The jeep then pulls off headed for the hangout place of the Sand Slayers Gang.

Preview

Rebecca: The bond of family. A bond that holds, even in death. We strive to keep those we love close to us as long as we can, but sometimes, our loving words alone cannot reach them. We must act. Our actions are what proves our words true or false. The ones we love depend on our actions.

Next Chapter: “Family”