Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices for a Broken Future ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sacrifices for a Broken Future
 
Summary: What would you do if you could change the future? Would you give up your entire life? What if you didn't have a choice?
Characters: Fai D. Flowright + Kurogane
Rating: T
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Angst
Copyright: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle belongs to Clamp. Any other recognizable media belongs to their respective owners.
Crossovers: Card captor Sakura- Clamp; xxxHolic- Clamp
Couples: KuroFai, SyaoSaku
Author's Notes: Please check my profile. I have a poll up that I'd like people to do.
Last Time: Fai has managed to make it to Piffle world without problem. Having learned that Kurogane has given up his greatest wish in order to help him can he cope with the pressure mounting on him as time runs out?
“Talking”
`Thinking'
“Talking through Mokona”
 
Chapter 8-
 
Kurogane glanced over at the blonde sleeping silently in the seat next to him. The wind sent Fai's hair blowing all around his face like a golden halo and his features were relaxed in sleep. He shook his head and looked forward again so he could drive.
 
Behind him Sakura prattled on. “I'm really glad we all made it to the finals. That last place was a close one. And did you see Fai-san? It's like he read the wind. He went so fast. I've never seen anything like it. It was so cool. Ne, Fai-san?” she asked, pushing herself up so she could talk to the blonde.
 
Kurogane rolled his eyes and pushed her back. “Let him sleep. He hasn't done it much.” He ordered. Mokona jumped up. “Is there something wrong with him?” it asked, staring at the blonde worriedly.
 
He shook his head. “Asides from whatever mental condition he has he's the picture of health. You three really worried him. He actually stopped sleeping in Yama.”
 
Syoaran bit his lip. “He didn't have too.” Kurogane snorted. “Try telling him that.” He grumbled as he parked at the house they were staying at. The kids jumped out before looking back at the still sleeping Fai. After sleeping through Sakura's mindless chatter Kurogane doubted the blonde would wake for the end of the world. “Go.” He ordered. “I'll take care of him.”
 
Kurogane sighed and carefully maneuvered Fai out of his seat and into his arms. Shutting the door he turned and headed into the house, thanking Syoaran for holding open the door. He glanced down briefly when his burden shifted slightly, turning towards him more. Kurogane sighed, as he placed Fai down on his bed.
---
Fai's eyes slowly flickered open to stare blankly at the room around him. The last thing he remembered was sitting in the car after the prelim race. Groaning he stood up slowly and stretched.
 
He ran a hand through his hair as he entered the main room, looking around. “Are you drinking again?” He asked when he noticed Kurogane. He didn't know why he should be surprised. It was the man's favorite past time. Kurogane looked at him and merely raised the beer bottle in greeting.
 
Fai shook his head. “Where are the kids?” Kurogane shrugged. “Out.”
 
The blonde rolled his eyes. “Well, some father you are.” He muttered. Kurogane glared at him. “Will you stop with that joke?!”
 
Fai gave Kurogane a disbelieving look. The ninja knew him better than that. “Were you the one that put me to bed?” he asked. Kurogane nodded. “Thank you.” He whispered.
 
He turned away slightly, not looking at the ninja while he spoke. “I'm sorry. Really, I haven't been fair. I've been so wrapped up in myself that I lost track of the people around me. So thank you for…for waiting for me to see all of you were there.” He whispered.
 
He glanced at the man to see a small smile flicker over his features before it disappeared. All the same it was a heart-warming sight. “You woke up.” The man stated, causing Fai to laugh. “I have no idea why I'm laughing.” He stated in between giggles. Kurogane snorted. “At least you admit to it.” Fai laughed harder.
---
Fai smiled softly as Sakura spoke to the witch. She was such as sweet girl. It was a shame that she was at the center of that man's plot. `Thank you Sakura-chan. You're a good kid.'
 
“My, you all look like you're having fun.” Fai looked up and grinned affectionately at Tomoyo. Laughing he called up to her. “And my, look how high you are.” He shouted back. The young girl giggled.
---
Fai turned his head slightly when Syoaran asked. “Is it true that someone tried to rig the preliminary race?” He watched as Tomoyo started slightly. Then her eyes flickered anxiously towards him for the briefest of seconds. He frowned as she asked, “Why do you ask?”
 
Fai stared at the girl in confusion as her and Syoaran talked. What had that oh so short glance meant?
---
Fai smiled slightly when he heard soft footsteps approaching him. “Hello Tomoyo-chan.” He turned his head slightly to stare at the young girl. “How are you?”
 
Tomoyo smiled softly. “I am fine. I wanted to thank you.” He blinked, turning towards her fully. “Um, for what? I don't think I've really done anything lately.” She giggled softly. “Thank you for not saying anything.” She answered just before she turned and walked calmly but quickly out of the room.
 
He stared after the girl in confusion, “Eh?”
---
Sakura looked at Fai with a smile. “Ne, Fai-san?” He turned to her. “Hm?” She hesitated for a moment before she asked. “I've been wondering. How did you move so fast in the race?”
 
“Oh that.” He mused, moving around again. “Every person is born with an affinity. It determines how they act, what they like, where they feel comfortable, and so on and so forth.” He lectured. “In a normal person it never goes farther than that.
 
“However when someone has magic that affinity has a much more important role. It determines what kind of spells you can do and which you can't. I myself have a wind affinity and trust me, learning to read the slightest shift in the wind like I did in the race is hard.” He stopped and smiled at Sakura. “But it makes me really good in the air.” He laughed.
---
Fai smiled fully at Sakura as she stood blushing in her new outfit. “Well, don't you look nice, Sakura-chan? What do you think, Syoaran-kun?” he asked, turning his head to the brunette.
 
Beside him Kurogane sighed in annoyance. “Are you trying to make them die from embarrassment?” Fai tilted his head to the side. “Is that possible?” he mused.
 
Kurogane paused. “Maybe not die but I'm pretty sure that the rush of blood to the head isn't good for your health.” The blonde grinned, “I guess it sucks to be them huh?” Kurogane snorted.
 
Fai smiled and turned on his heel. “Let's go. We have a race to win. I'll see you at the finish line.” He said as he laughed.