Tsubasa Chronicle Fan Fiction ❯ Tenshi no Mikomi ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
p> Soft light hit Sayoko’s eyelids, making them twitch as she shifted, turning onto her side and grasping where her brother’s hand should have been, only to grasp air. Her eyes opened, and she sat up slowly, looking around for her brother, only to find that she was the only inhabitant of her room. She frowned, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Her heart sank as she bowed her head.

‘Was it a dream?’ she thought, blinking as a soft chirping reached her ears, followed by sharp tapping noises on her window. Turning, her eyes lit up as she smiled. A small bird, a finch of some sort with golden plumage and beady dark eyes sat at the windowsill, tapping its beak against the window. Pulling up on the latch, Sayoko pushed the windows open, allowing the small bird to hop in, and she shut the windows behind it, watching small droplets of water slid down the smooth glass before turning to the bird with a gentle smile.

“Hello Sen-kun! Did you come to visit me?” she asked the bird, who chirped in response and she reached her hand out, extending her slender index finger, allowing Sen to perch upon her finger and she brought the small bird to her face.

“ I had such a weird dream, Sen.” She spoke softly, Sen tilting his head as he listened to her soft voice, “ I dream that nii-san came back.” Sen blinked at her as she sighed sadly. “But it seemed so real…” she let her words trail off before she placed Sen on the windowsill and he hopped off her finger as she smiled.

“Well, I can’t just lay around doing nothing all day!” she chirped before pulling back the covers, swinging her legs over the edge of the large bed before standing up, stretching her arms over her head before turning and pulling back the covers to fold over her pillow. Turning, she gave Sen a smile.

“Bye-bye, Sen-kun!” she chirped before turning once more and crossing her room to the door, her pale hand hovering over the brass handle before gripping the cool metal and twisting it, opening the large barrier of wood with a quiet creak and shutting it behind her with a soft click. Sighing, she headed down the wooden staircase, her dress rustling against her legs as she reached the landing. Brushing a few stray strands of cinnamon colored hair out of her pale visage, Sayoko blinked when she spotted a piece of paper laying on one of the tables. Tilting her head to the side in confusion, she walked over to the piece of paper, picking it up gently and scanning the flowing script before a smile came to her lips.

‘ Sayoko-neechan, I will be gone for most of the day, as I need to pick up supplies before my next mission. You still had a fever when I left, so please take care of yourself and try to relax, don’t push yourself too hard. With love, Tokune-niisan.’

Sayoko set the paper back down and she placed a hand on her forehead, a slight pout worming it’s way onto her lips, making her look cute.

“Aww, I still have a fever. But I can’t just sit around doing nothing!” she protested before departing, walking towards a narrow door made of honey colored wood, opening it as she stared at the various cleaning items that lay haphazardly within the confines of the small closet. Her hand wrapping around the slim handle of a broom, she bent down to pick up the corresponding metal dustpan. Standing up, she nodded to herself.

“Time to get to work!” she chimed before closing the closet door and turning, setting the dustpan on the seat of a chair before moving the broom in long, sweeping strokes, coughing as dust particles danced in the air. Covering her mouth as she coughed, she leaned against the broom for support for a few moments as she struggled to regain her breath.

‘Maybe nii-san was right. I should take it…easy.’ She thought. Falling back into a chair as she closed her eyes, Sayoko leaned her head back, staring at the ceiling with light brown irises before she sighed.

“I can’t let a little fever get me down! I have to help Tokune-niisan by getting this place cleaned up!” with those words said, Sayoko pushed herself out of the chair, ignoring the painful throbbing of her head as she continued to sweep, before grabbing the dustpan and scooping the dirt and dust into the pan and throwing it into the trashcan. Putting the cleaning supplies back into the closet, she bustled over to the kitchen, pausing for a moment as she tapped her chin with her index finger.

‘ I should probably go ahead and get a meal started for nii-san when he gets back!’ she thought, smiling as she began to heat the stove, pulling out various ingredients that she would need.

~*~

Wiping her forehead, Sayoko giggled as she put the finishing touches on the chocolate cake in front of her, gripping a pastry bag filled with white icing in her small hands as she took a step back.

“Finished!” she chimed, blinking and turning as she heard a soft knock at the door, giving a slight gasp of surprise, she put the pastry bag on the counter before wiping her hands and dashing towards the door, weaving through the tables nimbly before throwing open the door and tackling her brother’s large frame happily.

“Nii-san, you’re back! Did you get the supplies? Are you hurt? Did you get something to drink while you were out?” she rambled, pressing her warm cheek to her brother’s as she stared at him with serious light brown eyes. Tokune chuckled as he wrapped his arms around his sister’s tiny frame.

“Slow down there, imouto! Yes, I got the supplies, no, I’m not hurt, and yes, I got something to drink while I was out.” He laughed. Sayoko heard light laughter from behind him and she let go of her brother, stepping away from him slightly and peeking around him to stare at five travelers and a white rabbit like creature. Smiling brightly, she gave a small wave of her hand.

“Hi! I’m Sayoko!” she chirped, laughing softly as she tilted her head to the side. “Who are you?” she asked as she blinked, poking her chin with her index finger. The blonde haired man that had been laughing lightly at her was the first to speak.

“I’m Fai.” He said politely. Sayoko bowed slightly.

“It’s nice to meet you, Fai-san.” She said before turning to stare at the others, namely a man with ebony hair and crimson eyes. Noticing her stare, the man grunted.

“Kurogane.” He said and Sayoko smiled before directing her attention to the last two and the white rabbit creature.

“Syaoran.” Said the brown haired boy, and the girl beside him beamed at Sayoko.

“I’m Sakura!” she chimed, and Sayoko couldn’t help but give an answering smile in return, giggling slightly. The white rabbit creature bounced up to her, and she bent down, poking it softly with her finger, making it giggle.

“Mokona’s name is Mokona!” it chirped and Sayoko laughed quietly.

“It’s nice to meet you.” She said politely as she stood, coughing slightly. Tokune frowned, pressing a hand to Sayoko’s forehead, sighing as he withdrew his hand.

“You still have a fever.” He said sternly, and Sayoko shook her head as she coughed again, about to protest as she leaned against her brother.

“I’m fine, nii-san, so stop being such a worry-wart.” She said firmly, mock glaring at him as she gave him the most serious look she could muster, her hands flying to rest at her hips. Poking a finger into her brother’s chest, Sayoko gave him a stern look, her light brown irises connecting with his light blue.

“Now go sit down while I finish making dinner.” She said. Tokune opened his mouth to protest, cut off by the soft, pleading look that Sayoko sent him.

“Please?” she asked softly, a hint of tears within the shimmering brown depths and her brother sighed, running a hand through his unruly raven locks.

“Fine.” He gave in, and Sayoko cheered before turning to the others.

“Will you guys being staying as well?” she asked and Tokune answered for them.

“Yes.” Answered the dark haired male and Sayoko nodded before trotting off towards the kitchen as Syaoran and the others walked into the inn. Fai looked around before facing Tokune.

“Do you and your sister live here alone?” he inquired and Tokune nodded, running a hand through his hair once more as he closed his eyes before opening them again.

“Yeah. Our mom and dad passed away sometime ago.” He said, blue eyes clouding over in memory for a moment. Syaoran glanced towards the kitchen, catching flashes of cinnamon hair and soft brown eyes before he turned to Tokune.

“If you don’t mind me saying, you and Sayoko-san don’t look alike.” He said, blinking as Tokune laughed, smiling brightly.

“Yeah. We get that a lot. Sayoko takes after our mother in everything- cooking, looks, personality. While I take after our father.” He explained as Sayoko came back in, carrying various trays in her hands, walking carefully as she balanced them.