Twilight Fan Fiction ❯ The Newborn Attack (Eclipse Re-Done) ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jasper lay there long after the fight had ended, long after the Volturi had passed through, the usual remnants of the guard ensuring the newborns were destroyed. They had left swiftly to relay the news to Aro; surely, he would be disappointed.
 
The unmoving, white-marble statues stood there for hours on end, grieving the loss of their child, their sister, their pixie, their Alice - their light and life. When the night began to fall and the cool wind whispered through the trees, announcing the return of twilight, Carlisle blinked and finally moved. The creator walked slowly, silently to his broken son, and laid a hand on his unmoving shoulder in understanding, compassion, love. Jasper was silent as Carlisle passed on and started in the direction of home. Emmett brought Rosalie to her feet and they gazed at Jasper for a few silent moments before following. Edward's arms were around Bella as the girl, now conscious, shivered into his tear-dampened shirt. Her eyes were red, burning from her grief, but no tears fell anymore. She had lost her ability to cry, but her swollen lids stung nonetheless.
 
Edward started forward, one arm tightly around Bella, and went to kneel by Jasper for a moment. “I'm…sorry.” Edward whispered, his voice agonized. Bella stood there, unsure of what to do. She feared touching him, of increasing the pain of their grief, and words escaped her. Edward gathered her into his arms and led the silent girl away, and all that was left was Esme, gently watching her son. She came to kneel by the scarred angel, and her hand stroked his hair. Jasper shuddered guiltily in his grief and self-hate; who was he to allow this? Who was he to not save his soulmate? Esme leaned down to kiss his cheek. “We're here for you. We always will be.” Gently cupping his cheek, stroking his back, she stood, and finally left.
 
The blonde continued to lay before the remains of his lover, silent, crumpled, broken. His fingers remained loosely cupped around the last remnant of her - the crested necklace - and around him were deep furrows in the earth where he had clawed at the ground in his misery, in his absolute hate. His eyes remained open for hours; blinking was unnecessary, for him, and he dreaded the moment her ashes would be swept away by the wind. His Alice.
 
Jasper remained there for hours, unblinking, unmoving, unthinking.