Ultra Maniac Fan Fiction ❯ Magicked ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Magicked
 
Prologue
 
Normalcy.
 
The scene in front of her was the very pinnacle of it; she having experienced it so many times, that predicting the future was no feat. The golden rays of the sun shone in through the large windows along the side of the room, bathing the teenagers studying within in a light that made their hearts ache to go outside. The sunshine, and the voice of the teacher droning in the background soon had her hands numb with lethargy, and her pen stopped moving across the paper, threatening to slip from her limp fingers.
 
Resting her head against her elbow on the desk, she turned to see her auburn-haired, brown-eyed best friend pretty much in the same state, if not even deeper. At her other side, a girl with a head of golden blonde hair, and murky green eyes sat hunched over a set of Tarot cards on her desk, oblivious to all else. Stifling a yawn, her gaze shifted to the front of the room, where a brown-haired and black-haired boy sat side by side, bent over their books. Almost as if he could feel her gaze on him, the one with the brown hair turned and smiled at her, immediately causing the blood to rush to her face. She smiled back nervously and averted her eyes.
 
This was all so normal, and yet…
 
Something was wrong.
 
Suddenly she heard a muffled beeping from her side, and she turned in time to see the girl of the golden hair take out a small computer-like device, stifling a gasp of surprised delight.
 
`Wait,' she thought. `I've seen that somewhere before…'
 
The golden-haired girl stood up abruptly, and before anybody could say anything, walked out of the classroom. At her side, her best friend stood up too, and was out of the room in a flash, leaving her (and not to mention, the rest of the class) in a daze.
 
This happening was supposed to have some meaning, she knew it. Though she couldn't remember what…
 
But she wasn't going to rest until she found out.
 
Getting up as well, she followed the two girls out of the room, much to the chagrin and annoyance of the teacher. But he was irrelevant. She needed to find out…
 
Now in the school lawn, she spotted her friend and the golden-haired girl arrayed in the most colourful and ridiculous dresses she had ever seen. She was about to ask what kind of crazy costume party they were about to crash in their crazy get-ups, before her friend took out a ball-like device roughly the size of a large marble, and held it in the palm of her hand. Soon she was the vortex of a whirlwind of brilliant light, and when the light dispersed, she was…
 
There was no doubt about it.
 
She was flying.
 
Watching her friend in the air, and the golden-haired girl soon join her, her mouth dropped open. A myriad emotions and memories flooded her mind, her consciousness a kaleidoscope of colourful but disjointed memories and information.
 
Flying, magic, princesses, kingdoms, wizards, witches…
 
It all came back to her now, and she finally remembered.
 
In one instant of ground-shaking realisation, she remembered.
 
She remembered everything…
 
 
-
 
 
Beep. Beep. Beep.
 
With a start, seventeen year old Ayu Tateishi woke up to the electronic beeping of her digital alarm, rubbing her eyes tiredly. Reaching out with a shaking hand she turned the beeper off, and proceeded to try and get herself away completely from the clutches of slumber.
 
The cool breeze blowing in through the open windows - it was a fairly chill winter morning - did the trick. Shivering, she forced herself out of the bed and walked towards the windows to shut them. Gazing out for a brief instant before she did so, she sighed.
 
That was some dream I just had…
 
She knew Nina Sakura, her best friend, could practice magic alright, but she didn't know anything beyond that. What were the things she had dreamt about? Kingdoms?
Princesses? As much as she was used to the unusual happening in her life, this was too much for her. Maybe it's something I had for dinner last night…
 
But then again, she mused, the dream really got one thinking. For the past three years, she had known that Nina was a witch - a witch who practiced real magic. But she had never brought herself to actually ask about Nina's origin and background for some strange and convoluted reason, though she suspected that Nina had told her once, and she had forgotten all about it.
 
Come to think of it, the dream she had just had would explain a lot of the oddities she observed in Nina's life…
 
And just who was that golden-haired girl?
 
Ayu shook herself suddenly, bringing herself out of the spiral of thoughts her mind was spinning in. Here she was, mulling over some stupid dream, while there were better things to think about in life.
 
Like Kaji, for instance, she thought with a tiny blush and a smile.
 
Her throat suddenly felt incredibly dry, and she moved to her bedside table, where she had kept a jug of water and a glass to satiate any midnight thirst she might feel without her having to get out of bed. Pouring out a glassful, she raised it to her lips, when, suddenly, realisation - and remembrance - hit her like a ton of bricks.
 
“Oh my God…”
 
The glass slipped from her numb fingers.
 
She knew who that golden-haired girl was, now.
 
And a whole lot more.
 
Her strained whisper was lost in the sound of the glass shattering to pieces on the hard wooden floor:
 
Maya.”