Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ May the Outcasts Unite! ❯ Helping Out ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A man pushed past the crowding townspeople and into the center where a girl stood, caked in mud and soaked to the bone. She didn't look too happy. Looming over the vampire that had been terrorizing the town with a blood coated dagger in one hand, she turned and glared at him as he came closer.

"Did you do this?" he asked in a stern tone. He watched as her face paled then glanced at the dagger. She pointed it at him and frowned.

"Hey, this is not what it looks like! Well, actually it is, but what I meant to say is that I didn't murder this guy! No wait, damnit, what really happened . . . ugh, it was self-defense!" The man started to laugh. She obviously didn't like this either.

"What the hell is so funny, dude?!" she spat.

Dude? The man thought. He shook his head, a smile crossing his features. As the sheriff he had to do what was right. He reached at the pouch tied at his side and took it into his hands. The girl looked ready to run or something. He stepped closer and handed her the bag.

"Your bounty, miss."

"Bounty?" she asked as the bag was dropped into her hand.

"The reward for killing the vampire. Five million dollars. The women here are, no doubt, thankful of you. Is there anything else we could do for you?"

The girl gawked at the bag then quickly recovered. She looked at him and narrowed her eyes. She surprised him by shoving the bag back into his hands and glanced over her shoulder.

"Yeah, three things actually. I want you to give the money to that guy in black back there. Once you do that, I would really like a bath and hotel room."

"Yes, we'll get on that, but why give the money to that man?" he asked, glancing warily at the silent man sitting quietly on his horse a few yards away.

"Because, dude, the guy saved my life. If it weren't for him, I would still be struggling with those rotting hands back there! Besides, I have my own money, thank you."

"Wha--" he started, not understanding what she was saying.

"Just go give him the money, man! And give him my thanks, please," she said and stalked past him. The sheriff watched her in silence as she disappeared behind the crowd. He shook his head and did his best to forget her rudeness and do what she requested.

"Sir," the sheriff said as he approached the man on the horse. D was turning his horse in the direction on the next town when he came up to him. The sheriff handed him the bag of money. D looked on in confusion.

"The lady said to give this to you and her thanks." He said then turned and walked away.

"Well now, that was kind of her," the voice came again. D said nothing as he stared back into town.

+++++

"Damn, that felt so good!" Tyler said, walking out of the steaming bathroom with a towel tied around her body. She had been allowed a room, free of rent for as long as she was to stay. The people seemed to admire her, especially the women.

"Now, I just have to wait for my clothes. Weird that they don't have much of the year's house appliances. I mean, washing clothes by hand? Where am I? In the seventeenth century of England?" Tyler yawned and fell back on the bed.

After a few minutes of just lying there, Tyler sat up and reached for her backpack, which sat at the end of the bed. It was still caked with mud in several places, but she was fine with it because all of it was dry and crumbled away when she batted at it.

"Let's see," she said as she pulled out her CD player, a half packet of double A batteries, and various CD cases. She opened the CD player then closed it again and shook it, listening for anything that might have been knocked loose from her encounter with Rokos.

When silence met her ear, Tyler turned it back over and pressed the play button, then the stop button, pressed play twice so it did pause, then pressed the play modes. Everything was fine. She pressed play again and watched for a moment until a battery icon fluttered on the small, gray screen.

"Aha, thought you fooled me, eh?" Deciding to listen to her music until the batteries died, Tyler reached into her backpack and pulled out a thick book. She scooted back and leaned against the headboard, placing her headphones on and opening to the page she last left on.

Suddenly a crash echoed loudly outside her door. Startled, she dropped her book and slipped off her headphones.

Cries of pain and fear sounded afterwards. Tyler jumped up and walked to the door. She opened it and poked her head out, making sure to keep her body hidden behind the door.

"Bitch! Where do you think you're going?! Huh? Huh?!" A male's voice slurred disgustingly. Tyler turned her gaze down to the end of the hall and spotted a tall, man with sickeningly large muscles (A/N: we all know how gross huge, bulging muscles are Xx) roughly grab the crying woman that was crawling away from him.

What the hell is this? Now, I know there are others that can here this stuff!

Tyler cringed when the man backhanded the young woman when she started to beg softly to him. She weighed the possibilities of what could happen if she jumped in.

Pros- beat the living piss out of the man; earn the woman's gratitude

Cons- get the living piss beaten out of her; suffer minor injuries; be pitied; be considered stupid; have the towel drop

Tyler sighed and reluctantly pulled back into her room. The door was almost closed when another cry echoed through the hall.

Tyler gritted her teeth and flung the open then stalked out into the middle of the hall. The man was gripping the woman's hair as he shouted horrible things to her.

"Hey! Shut up!" Tyler shouted. The man stopped and looked at her with bloodshot eyes. He shoved the woman down and smiled at her, crooked yellow teeth revealed. Tyler wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"Hello there, little girl," he said softly as he started to make his way toward her.

"Hello there, ugly, foul-smelling, jackass. When's the last time you decided to take a bath?" Tyler backed up some, crossing her arms over her chest because the man's gaze was glued there. She looked around the man to find the woman staring at her with eyes wide with fear and relief.

The man ignored what was said to him and let his eyes roam her body. He smirked and stared into her eyes and said, "Why must you where only a towel that is revealing? You're very tempting."

The man was close, so close that the smell from his breath and his unwashed body made her want to gag. She turned her head away and shoved the man away, giving her some breathing room.

"Well, if you must know, I just took a shower, which is something you don't seem to indulge in a lot. Revealing? Are you blind? This towel goes past my knees, dude, and you won't find me all that tempting if you keep staring at me like I'm some tasty morsel ready to be devoured."

The man threw his head back and laughed. Tyler shuddered and backed away, her hand feeling along the wall for anything that could protect herself.

Drunk and stupid, the man reached out and grabbed her wrist in a bruising grip. Tyler actually winced at the pressure that was steadily being added onto it.

"I like you. You're so feisty, something that is rare in a woman these days. Why don't you accompany me to my room so I can take great pleasure in putting you in your place?" Without waiting for an answer, he turned and yanked her down the hall.

The woman, huddled in a corner, let out a soft whimper pass past her lips as he neared her. Tyler, although trying to wrench herself from the drunk, couldn't help but frown.

There was a sheriff right outside and yet he, along with others staying here, didn't come up and investigate all the shrill screams like she had done. What was with these people?

A few doors pulled open and eyes peered out into the hall. Tyler fought the urge to scream at the people for not coming out to help her or the woman, but she had pride. She would show this man that she was more than just feisty.

They were right at the door when Tyler jerked his arm up to her mouth and embedded her teeth deep into his flesh. The man yelped and shoved her hard, making her stumble and fall. He held his already bleeding limb before looking at her with rage-filled eyes.

"You bitch!!" He screamed. Tyler spat a few times, trying to get the nasty taste of his blood and flesh out of her mouth.

"Oh, shut up. Did you honestly think I would willing? Jeez you're an idiot!" The man snarled and started toward her when the woman in the corner called out.

"No, Roger! Leave her be! She didn't do anything wrong!"

"Shut up! I'll deal with you after I'm done with her! No one messes with Roger Calistone!" he roared. Tyler slowly stood, trying to keep the towel around her body, which had been knocked loose from its knot after her fall.

She arched an eyebrow and said, "What? Is this the part where I'm supposed to cry out in fear and start begging for mercy for using self-defense against a raging drunk?"

"RAAAGGHHH!!" Roger lunged at Tyler, but she quickly sidestepped out of the way, causing Roger to stumble and fall.

"Puh," Tyler said then turned and started walking toward the woman. The woman slowly stood on shaky legs and pressed herself hard against the wall to steady her.

"Hey, are you all right?" she asked gently, sounded caring. The woman slowly nodded and stared at her.

"W-Why did you defend me? Roger will kill you!" Tyler glanced over her shoulder while re-adjusting the towel again.

"Roger is an asshole. Beating up a woman for reasons I really don't want to know. How come you didn't scream for help?" She looked over her shoulder again and watched as Roger struggled to get back up.

"Roger is a rich man. No one would dare go against what he does because he has enough money to have him or her fired or even thrown in jail. Please, just leave so you won't get involved. I appreciate what you're doing, but please, just leave." Tyler snorted and turned to face the drunk who was staggering toward them.

"Roger can kiss my ass and besides, I'm already involved. Have been ever since I shouted at him. C'mon, buffalo boy!" Roger took a swing at her, but she managed to duck and slam her elbow hard into his ribcage.

Roger cried out in pain, but instead of falling away like Tyler had expected him to, he whipped around and tackled her. Tyler's air rushed out of her lungs as she slammed hard onto the floor.

Her vision blurred and a wave of dizziness came over her. When her eyes cleared she saw Roger lift his fist behind him and thrust it down.

The woman in the back screamed as the fist neared. When Tyler expected a painful contact to the jaw or eye, she felt the heaving weight yanked off of her.

Tyler gawked as a tall figure stood next to her. Black cape, black boots, black skin-tight suit of some kind, long brown hair, a large black hat, and an incredibly long sword.

She was about to say something when she looked over a few feet away where Roger was screaming and crying as he held the arm that he had been about to strike her with. She looked at it and cringed. It was turned at disturbing angel and was starting to turn unnatural colors.

"Hey, it's you again! Er, I mean, thanks . . . um, again." She slowly stood up and looked at the man. He had his face turned from her and she got the feeling it was for other reasons and not Roger. She glanced over at the woman at the end of the hallway who was pointing at her own body.

Tyler blinked and looked down. Immediately she bent down and grabbed the towel that had somehow gotten away from her and wrapped it around her nude form.

That's when the man finally turned and looked at her. He said nothing, but stretched a hand out to her, holding the same pouch of money that the sheriff had attempted to give her.

"What? Hey, that's yours," she said, pointing at it.

"I didn't kill the vampire. It belongs to you," he said quietly, lowly. Tyler shook her head and tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear.

"Doesn't matter. You saved my life so it's yours. Besides, I don't want it. I have my own stinkin' money." When he kept the bag out at her she narrowed her eyes in annoyance and pushed his hand back toward him then stalked over to Roger.

"Listen here, jackass. If I find you beating up another woman, rich or not, I will personally come after you with a pickaxe and shovel. The pickaxe to murder you with and the shovel used to bury you and to hide the evidence."

"I-I'll sue you! Both of you! You won't get away with this!" he said angrily. Tyler snorted and reached out to Roger, gasping his shirt and yanking him to her face. She fought back to urge to gag at his hygiene.

"Does it look like I care? Huh?! Sue me all you want, throw me in jail if ya want! Just know that if you try anything, even with me, you'll find my foot up your ass and my fist down your throat!" She shoved him away and motioned for the woman to come to her.

The woman made her way over slowly, making sure to keep her distance from the drunk. Tyler looked up at her and asked, "What's your name?"

"I-Irene. Thank you. Both of you," she said, glancing at the dark man standing away from them. Tyler glared at Roger before grabbing Irene's wrist and tugging her toward her room.

"Hey, Tall and Silent. You have a room?" she called. He nodded.

"Alright, let's make a deal here. Tomorrow we split the money, 'kay? Right now, I'm tired, bitchy, and want some quiet time. I'll see you at . . . hmm, seven A.M. Got it? If you're not there, then you might experience a very rude awakening if I happen to find your room."

Tyler smirked at him before shoving Irene into her bedroom before slamming it behind herself. A small voice chuckled and D glanced down at its source

"My, she's very demanding isn't she?" D said nothing, but walked down the hall, ignoring Roger who was cursing and throwing threats at him.

It had been a long day and even he wanted some alone time, but having a talking hand that only had obnoxious things to say, he knew he would never know what "alone time" or "quietness" really was.

++++

Wooohooo! ^^U I updated! How cool is that, man?! Anyway, like on my Knives fic, I put down that I have school. I started Monday and I made a deal with my mom that I can only have it on weekends so it will take a bit to update.

I really enjoy writing this fic. It's a really neat challenge 'cause D is so hard to fit into a romance without getting him OOC. ^^ Knives is a bad guy so I can work with bad guys a lot easier then some silent, always calm dude! Anyway, laterz!

http://www.lelola.net/news.shtml