Vampire Hunter D Fan Fiction ❯ Where the Wild Things Are ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
title: Where the Wild Things Are
author: Faia Saiyajin
series: Vampire Hunter D
rating: R
-Disclaimer goes here. I didn't intend to rip off the title of a book and a Metallica song at the same time... but it was all I could think of. This is my first attempt at a Vampire Hunter D epic-fic, taking place a few years after BloodLust. I've found it EXTREMELY difficult to write for D (which is why he isn't one of the main characters, hehehe...), so if anyone has any pointers, I'd be more than grateful.
---
"Stupid stupid stupid!!" Collapsing to her knees, ignoring the sting of rocks jabbing her flesh, the young girl hunched over, her sides heaving, sweat trickling down her face, and making her cotton dress stick to her back.

The city of Garousha lay behind her, along with her parents, two brothers, their cats, and a horse.

"I hate... running..." she wheezed, lifting her face to the sky. Streaked with crimson, the sun hung dangerously low on the horizon. It was almost sunset, and she had made little progress. The thought of being alone in the dark made her shiver, which sent goosebumps rising on her skin.

"No time to waste, Kat..." she told herself, weakly pushing to her feet. Her legs shuddered and threatened to give out, knees knocking together just below the hem of her dress. A tall, slender thing, Kathrine was more gawky than girly. Always scraggly-looking, her thick brown hair wild and untamed, hazel eyes tinged with a permanant cynicism, Kat was the 17-year-old youngest daughter of of a poor, but respectable family in the town of Garousha.

Tugging on the too-short dress, hoping to make it longer, Kat scowled. She was more apt to rip the thing in half, rather than lengthen it. The tiny faded flowers didn't comply, not budging from the equally faded patchwork field they were crammed together on. Her boots, black leather work boots, the only shoes she owned, were unlaced and scuffed, having seen better years. Mostly she went barefoot, and prided herself on the thick layer of calluses that padded her feet, inhibiting almost all sensation. But foolhardy she was not, and figured it would be best to bring the clumpy boots, because it wasn't wise to run from Garousha all the way to... to...

"I hate running, dresses, idiotic parents ...AND WHEN I DON'T HAVE A PLAN!!!" Kat fumed, balling her hands into tight fists at her sides. She wasn't like her oldest brother Thom. He was 25, and obviously the favorite of her parents. He had a solution for everything. Then there was Jay. The other older brother, age 21. The bohemian, the starving artist. Hopless dreamer and all around fool. Kat, was, if nothing, the realist of the family. Her mother had long ago lost her mind, and her dad wasn't far behind. It was Kat who was the income. The one who worked her scrawny arse off to keep the meager amounts of cash flowing. Thom was still waiting for their ship to come in, and Jay was too busy dreaming of his long-overdue epiphany to really care.

She could no longer take it. That's why she left. Without a word, a warning, to betray her contempt for her happy-go-lucky family. "Shit shit shit shit... I hate my life... shit shit shit shit shit... I still hate my life..." she panted, willing her long legs to break into a run. Glaring at the sun, which was nothing more than a thin crescent behind the mountains in the west, she almost commanded it to stay put, so that the last dying rays of sunlight would hold out until she found a town.

Ominous in its completeness, the night took over despite her warning, leaving the petrified mortal alone, still racing across the wilderness. It had been a day and a half since she'd runaway, and now, hungry, alone, and totally lost, it took all the gumption Kat had to not turn around and run back.

Helter-skelter in her flight, she lost her footing, the toe of her boot catching on the loose scree, sending her flying face-first into the earth.

"God...damnit..." she whispered, pounding her fist into the dirt, the effort of getting to her feet too much at the moment. It was the last straw. Her knees were scraped, the wind knocked from her lungs, and she could feel the dust that stung her closed eyes. Putting her forehead down on her left arm, she let the tears come. "I hate my life." Covering her head with her other arm, she lay there, waiting for something, anything.

What sounded like a small avalanche pulled her from her four-hour nap, sending her clamoring to her feet, looking around in panic. The earth shook, as a monstrous steel caravan roared by her, kicking up dust as it roared past.

"What the...hell?" Cocking her head at this strange sight, she watched the dimly lit windows of the cars as they traveled on. Easy to spot in the blackness, the yellow lights of the last car came to a halt about 400 yards ahead of her. "They could be murderers and thieves." Kat said, her voice dry. "Or they could be a pack of traveling nuns." This made her grin. "I don't care, really. I just need some water and some directions..." Taking a ragged breath, she trudged forward once more, chewing on her bottom lip.

She said nothing as she closed the gap between she and the caravan, the scuffle of her boots barely carrying above the commotion from the passengers in the train as they set up their night-camp. It was a chore to raise her feet, and that, combined with the oversized footwear, made for another nasty spill.

Wiping out once more, not ten feet from the back end of the train, she swore, loudly. A warning growl followed her words, making her freeze. Lifting her head slowly, carefully, she was greeted with a pair of bright yellow eyes, its growl louder now, accented with the clink of chains.

"Traveling nuns don't keep guard dogs... do they?" Kat asked off-handedly, slowly pushing to all fours. "...easy...fella... good... boy..." she whimpered, holding her left hand out as a gesture of peace. "I don't mean any harm... just looking for some directions... I'm sorta lost, you know." she laughed a little, the growling coming to a stop, as the dog, still hidden in the darkness, sniffed the air, coming close to her palm. Kat grinned. "Good boy..." Moving slowly, as to not scare it, she moved her hand forward, to pet it gently, and show her appreciation for it not biting her head off. "You're not a real good guard dog, are ya?" She chuckled.

But her fingers weren't greeted with a cold wet nose, whiskers, and a muzzle. No. This dog had a human face.