Vampire Princess Miyu Fan Fiction ❯ When Friends are True-A Vampire Miyu Saga ❯ Trust ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Author's Notes: Hey, have you ever wondered what the title means? Find out in this chapter! And yeah. I think most of you who have been reading this will appreciate this chapter. There are some pretty groundbreaking scenes here, even more so than the last.

And for as much as I hate Valentine's Day, consider this a present. Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-Five

Trust

"Well, then." Yoshi said, clapping his hands together and standing up rather suddenly. "Attack tomorrow or not, you don't have to worry about a damn thing Miyu, because we're going to be right beside you the whole time. I'm not sure what the full motives of those ass-holes are, but we'll make sure that they don't lay a filthy finger on you the entire time."

"Here, here." The other Chinese Shinma chorused as they rose too, moving to Miyu's side. "Those monsters will regret the day that they decided to tangle with you or your realm." Miyu smiled up at her friends. She knew, regardless of the situation they were in, that they would stand by her side until the end. But she was also grateful to them for another reason. All of them seemed relieved that she was in a better mood, but there was something else; she could see it in their eyes. Somehow - she was not sure how - but somehow, they knew about the re-established bond between her and Larva, and their eyes were both supportive and happy for her at the same time. Even Yoshi had that look in his eyes. Although Miyu had not had any experience with real friends for quite some time, she knew that those were feelings that true friends held for each other.

Then they all looked back at the Western Shinma, as if excepting them to say something. At that moment, Larva was feeling a little apprehensive; if the Chinese Shinma knew about the bond, then there was probably a good chance that his former companions did as well, and the whole thing would start over again. But he would not back down. He had clearly chosen the path that he wanted to lead in life, and he placed a supportive hand on Miyu's hand, silently telling the others that that was where he intended to stay. "It's your choice." He told the staring Western Shinma. "You can stay or fight, but if you fight, all of our chances of survival will be much higher."

Again there was only silence, and the ones standing beside Miyu were sure that the Western Shinma were going to refuse, until Spartoi suddenly stood up. "What sort of knight would I be if I didn't rise to meet a challenge lay before me?" He said in a very formal, serious sort of way, but then his face softened as he looked at Larva. "But more importantly, what sort of friend would I be to let one of my best friends fight such a dangerous foe by himself? I'll fight by your sides." He walked over to the group and clapped Larva heavily on the shoulder, nearly making the blue-haired Western Shinma's knees buckle.

"I'll fight too!" Lemunia said, springing to his feet and half-jogging to the group. "I have a score to settle with those bastards, after all."

"As do I." Water Lipper agreed as she swept over to them as well. The growing group looked back over at Night Gia and Amy, who were the only two left.

Then, to their surprise, Amy stood and joined their numbers. "If Spartoi fights, then I fight as well." He actually looked quite pleased with himself, as if his contribution meant an ensured victory.

"Well then, I guess I have no choice then." Night Gia agreed, only a hair's breath behind Amy. "I may not be as involved as this as the rest of you are, but I won't stand down to watch the lot of you get killed."

Suddenly Yoshi started laughing, as if something very funny had occurred to him. "Dude, this totally reminds me of the forming of the Fellowship of the Ring!"

"Thank you for that informative insight, Yosh." Ryuko said, thumping his friend on the back with a smile.

"What was that supposed to mean?" Night Gia asked, curious.

"Nothing." Kia said with a wave of her hand. "Just ignore my brother's ramblings, or you can hit him until he stops. He's quite harmless, really, as long as he keeps his pants on."

"Wha-wha-what are you talking about?" Yoshi stammered, suddenly going very red in the face.

"Oh come on, don't tell me you forgot that New Year's Celebration in 1965 in San Francisco, do you? The one where you got plastered and streaked naked down the street?" Tacha reminded him.

"I don't remember that." Yoshi said in a rather indignant way.

"Neither do I." Ryuko added.

"Well, you wouldn't." Kia put in. "You were pretty wasted, yourself. In fact, if I recall, you had joined in Yoshi's little way of ringing in the New Year. We had to throw both of you into the dumpster to keep you out of the cop's hands." Ryuko was now as red as Yoshi, but then the Wolfin and the Avian exchanged looks.

"Well, that would certainly explain that mystery hangover and why we smelt like shit the next morning." Ryuko said, and Yoshi shrugged.

"Dear Lord, what have we gotten ourselves into?" Water Lipper asked the other Western Shinma, but there was a hint of amusement in her voice.

Not sure how to respond to the Chinese Shinma's "interesting" story (even though a few of the younger Shinma looked as if they were ready to laugh out loud), they did not say anything. After a brief moment's silence, Spartoi finally asked "So, what do we do now?"

Kia frowned a bit in thought. "I guess the best thing would to get some rest. We have quite a ask ahead of us tomorrow. We should also get someone to tell Yui and the other Shi about what's going on. Tacha and Lemunia, you two can do that. Then we need someone to tell Pazusu and Carlua what's up, but I'll let you decide that on your own."

"Oh, that reminds me…" Ryuko spoke up and dashed away from the group, made a quick surveillance of the campsite, found what he was looking for, and came back to them. There was something white and soft looking in his arms with something red folded on top of it, and when he got closer, Miyu saw that it was her yukata. "I uh…wasn't able to fix your last one, so instead I made a stop by your home and got you a new one."

Miyu smiled and took the yukata from Ryuko, thanking him. It would be nice to wear it again.

Taking the hint from the silence that followed, the Western Shinma nodded and moved back into the clearing, around the campfire that was still burning brightly. They talked briefly among themselves before Water Lipper swept into the darkened forest, no doubt looking for Pazusu and Carlua. She was perhaps the best to talk with them on such matters. Soon after that, Tacha and Lemunia disappeared through the dark gaps between the trees to find Yui and the other Shi.

Before the Chinese Shinma could return to their campfire and rest for the next day, Larva spoke suddenly, to all of them "Before we turn in, I would like a word with the lot of you."

The Chinese Shinma exchanged confused looks; what could he possibly want to talk to them about? Maybe it was about the re-established bond between him and Miyu. Regardless of what it was, they nodded, and turned into a thicket of trees where they could talk alone. "Larva…" Miyu began, but Larva reassured her with a soft smile and a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"It's all right, Miyu. I should be back in a few moments." Miyu returned the smile and nodded before heading back to the bonfire where the rest of the Western Shinma were scattered around. This was a first time that she would be alone with them, without the protection of Larva or the Chinese Shinma, but she felt no fear. They were on the same side of the same coin now, so they had no reason to cause any problems with her. Unless they assaulted her verbally for taking Larva back…

But they did not. Instead they only propped themselves against trees of lay down on the ground, trying to fall into a deep, dreamless sleep for the hard day ahead of them. The forest beside Miyu shifted, and Tacha emerged from the darkness. She questioned Miyu with her eyes, and Miyu pointed to the place where Larva and the other Chinese Shinma disappeared. The Feline nodded, gave Miyu a quick hug, and went after her friends. Miyu relaxed slightly, but still she disappeared for a second before re-appearing on a low tree branch, snuggling into a crook between the branch and trunk and closed her eyes, trying to sleep as well, but it did not come easily.

"What did the Shi say?" Ryuko asked when the cat-girl burst through the foliage and giving Yoshi and Kitsune a look like they had just had heart attacks.

"They agreed to fight with us." Tacha said, picking a twig from her braid. "Well, Yui did, for Miyu's sake. Nagi got all pissy at her for a moment, but he gave in. Anyway, what's the deal with this?"

"Only this." Larva said, catching their complete attention. "My biggest fear in this life is something happening to me and Miyu being left alone. And a few days ago, that fear was almost confirmed. The last thing I want is Miyu to be alone, and with the battle coming up, there is the risk of that happening. That's why I ask this of you. Miyu seems to be fairly good friends with the lot of you. Therefore, if anything happens to me, I want you to take care of her. I just don't want her to be alone."

He had to admit to himself, all seven of them looked as if they had been struck my lightning. What ever it was that they were expecting him to tell them, that certainly had not been it. For several moments, they only stared at him blankly, jaws slack. Finally their mouths closed slowly as his words sunk in. "Are you sure about this?" Kia asked.

"It's better that she's with someone she knows and trusts rather than being alone. Think of it as a favor to her, not one to me." Once again, the Eastern Shinma looked at each other, discussing the proposition over silently, their eyes doing to talking. Finally, Kia looked back at him.

"All right. For Miyu's sake, we will do it. It' not that we would be reluctant to do it, it's just that we think that you shouldn't think that, and concentrate on keeping yourself alive before we need to start thinking about that. Besides, it's good to see the bond reestablished. Always knew your heart was in the right place."

Larva could not help but to smile at her words. "All right. It's a deal then." The Chinese Shinma smiled and nodded back, and taking it as a clue to the end of their little meeting, they too returned to the campfire to conserve their strength. Before Yoshi could leave, however, Larva reached out and put a hand on the bat's shoulder.

"Despite the stories I've heard about you, I feel as if you're the one I can trust most with her. If anything should happen, will you take it upon yourself to be her guardian?"

Yoshi turned around, looking both confused and maybe a little embarrassed at the same time. "You uh, heard that huh?" Larva nodded. Yoshi's mouth turned to the side, but he replied "I would do it in a heart beat." Without another word, he too went to join his friends.

Larva did not follow them right away. He had too much on his mind and too much to sort out. Miyu was asleep, he could feel it through their bond; there was a very secure feeling within himself now that their bond was back. He took comfort in her eternal presence, he just did not realize it until he had nearly lost her. He had also never thought of himself being vulnerable before either, not since this whole thing began. True, he had pledged years ago that he would protect Miyu with his life; he had never thought of what were to happen if he ever did die. That was settled now; the Chinese Shinma would look after her. They would make sure that she lived on safely. She now even had a back-up guardian incase anything did happen to him. Something on the inside told him that next time, he would not be so lucky.

Then there was the issue concerning the other Western Shinma. It seemed as if his friends had no problem with it. By letting Miyu taking his blood again, he had clearly mapped out his path in life, and they would be fools to try to break them apart again. The only problem would be Pazusu and Carlua. Apparently Carlua had risked her life to sever the bond, and he knew Pazusu would be outraged that that huge risk was all for nothing. He almost dreaded meeting his former master and foster father in the face again.

WESTERN SHINMA.

Larva felt his blood freeze in his veins. Slowly, he turned around to see Mori standing in the thick forest brush just feet behind him. He felt like such a fool. If the Western and Chinese Shinma knew about the bond, then there was no doubt that the Japanese Shinma knew as well. Especially their most powerful Elder. I NEED TO SPEAK TO YOU. Larva looked back out into the clearing, to the tree that Miyu was sleeping in the tree. He did not feel comfortable leaving her alone any longer than he could, especially with all the recent events. MY CHILDREN ARE WATCHING THE AREA. NOTHING WILL HARM HER WHILE YOU ARE GONE. Casting one last glance at Miyu, Larva rose and followed Mori deeper into the trees.

They walked through the forest for a very long time. The thick branches of the huge trees blocked the silver light that the full moon gave off, making the surrounding landscape very dark. The air was cold and a thin layer of fog swirled about their feet. Mori had not said anything since she had called on him. Larva was not sure if he felt nervous or not; it was a complex mix of feelings, but he was mainly thinking of getting back to Miyu as soon as possible.

I DO NOT KNOW WHY I LET YOU BOND TO MIYU AGAIN. Mori said at last. I SHOULD HAVE KILLED YOU MYSELF EARLIER.

"Then why did you let me live?" Larva asked. He chose his words very carefully, not wanting to anger the ancient Elder.

BECAUSE SHE SEEMS TO SEE SOMETHING IN YOU. WHAT, I DO NOT KNOW. Mori stopped walking, and sat down five feet away from him, staring at him through her cold eyes. BUT, IF YOU CAN ANSWER ME THIS ONE QUESTION, MY OPPINION OF YOU MIGHT CHANGE. WHAT DO YOU SEE WHEN YOU LOOK AT HER? WHAT IS THE FIRST THING THAT COMES TO YOUR MIND WHEN YOU SEE HER? WHAT MAKES HER SO SPECIAL TO YOU?

"I-I see the girl I have always known. Her thoughts have always been lonely and sad. She has told me that I am the only one who understands her, and how important I am to her. And she's taught me about my own humanity… she's the most important person in all the worlds to me. I would never leave her on my own will, even if she wanted me to."

Mori laughed, showing her long white fangs. VERY GOOD. THAT'S THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR. IN TRUTH, WESTERN SHINMA, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE IN ALL THE WORLDS THAT SEES HER THE WAY YOU DO. HUMANS CAN NOT SEE WHAT SHE ISM WHAT YOU DESCRIBED; THEY SEE THE STERIOTYPED DEMON OF THEIR FOLKLORE. SOME OF THE JAPANESE SHINMA SEE HER AS A THREAT, OTHERS SEE HER AS A LEADER. THE CHINESE SEE HER AS A LEADER, AND THEREFORE WILL TREAT HER LIKE ONE. YOUR PEOPLE SEE HER AS AN ENEMY. EVEN MYSELF AND THE OTHER ELDERS CANNOT ACCEPT HER AS ANYTHING BUT A LEADER, WHAT THE VAMPIRES ORIGINALLY WERE. Mori sighed, then paused. When she began again, her voice sounded sad.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TRYING TO TELL YOU? MIYU IS ONLY SEEN AS HER TITLE; AS A VAMPIRE, A LEADER, A THREAT, DEPENDING ON WHO IS LOOKING AT HER. SHE IS TORN BETWEEN THE WORLD SHE ONCE CAME FROM AND THE ONE SHE IS FORCED TO LIVE IN. MIYU IS THE LAST OF HER KIND, AND IS MORE ALONE THAN ANYONE CAN POSSIBLY UNDERSTANDOUT OF ALL THE CLANS IN ALL THE WORLDS, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES HER DIFFERENTLY. ONLY YOU CAN SEE HER FOR WHAT SHE ONCE WAS, WHAT SHE IS TO BE; ONLY YOU KNOW OF HER FEELINGS. THAT IS WHY YOU ARE SO SPECIAL TO HER, AND THE ONLY ONE SUITABLE ENOUGH TO BE HER SHIMOBE. THE FIRST TIME I SAW MIYU WAS DURING THE FIRST ATTACKS, AND I HAD SECRETELY ADOPTED HER AS MY DAUGHTERIN HOPE THAT I WOULD BE ABLE TO PROTECT HER, AS I WAS NOT ABLE TO PROTECT KYUKO. BUT I SOON LEARNED THAT I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO SEE HER FOR WHAT SHE REALLY WAS. Mori was silent after that, and the only sound among them was the wind blowing through the branches of the trees.

WILL YOU DO ME A FAVOR? WILL YOU…SCRATCH BEHIND MY EAR? IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE ITCHING, AND I CAN NEVER REACH IT. The big wolf grunted and tried to reach the spot with her back leg as if trying to prove her point. She asked this quite suddenly, taking Larva by surprise. Hand shaking a bit, Larva reached over and scratched the Elder behind her ear, making her lower her ears and purr deep in her throat. OH, THANK YOU. IT'S A BOTHER SPOT TO REACH. She looked back at him, her eyes once again serious. NOW, HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT I WAS NOT PLANNING TO BITE YOUR HAND OFF.

This surprised Larva more than her request. He had not even thought about it.

THAT IS CALLED TRUST, WESTERN SHINMA. THAT'S WHAT I SEE IN YOU AND YOUR COMPANIONS. THAT'S WHY I FEEL YOU ARE THE RIGHT ONE TO BE HER GUARDIAN. IT IS LATE, AND THERE IS A BIG DAY AHEAD. YOU SHOULD REST.

They headed back to the grove, where Miyu was still sleeping. WESTERN SHINMA, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE GOOD CARE OF HERI DO NOT HAVE MUCH TIME LEFT IN THIS LIFE. PROTECT HER WITH ALL YOU HAVE, AND NEVER LET HER GO.

"I promise." Larva said. "I will not let anything harm her." Mori left. Larva disappeared for a heartbeat before appearing again in the tree Miyu was sleeping in, putting his arm around her and drawing her close to him.

Miyu stirred a little, opening up her eyes just a little. "Larva?" she began, her voice heavy with sleepiness. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He answered, soothing her hair back. "Everything's fine. Go back to sleep." Miyu smiled as her eyes closed, and she snuggled herself against him some more. She was soon asleep again, and between the lull of the crackling fire and Spartoi and Ryuko's snores, sleep soon claimed him as well.

Subconscious, uncertain

I'm showered by the dust

But the spirit enters into me and I…

Submit…

To trust…"

(Peter Gabreil, The Rhythm of the Heat)

-----

To be continued…

-----var PUpage="76001055"; var PUprop="geocities"; var yviContents='http://us.toto.geo.yahoo.com/toto?s=76001055&l=NE&b=1& amp;t=1034191873';yviR='us';yfiEA(0); geovisit();