Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The Seeress ❯ As the Scene Plays Again ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Seeress- Chapter Three

A Tenkuu no Escaflowne outpouring of sap and ami-chan's insanity.

ami-chan: gawd this is taking forever. This is the THIRD time I've rewritten the first 1/3 of this chapter. I keep editing and revising it and REWRITING it. It's bugging me SO much! Argh! I hope this re-write will be the final one... anyhow... ENJOY~!

disclaimer: Escaflowne is in no way related to me in legal terms. I'm using it for the enjoyment of fans as well as to give myself some pleasure and satisfaction.

Note: This happens a few years after Hitomi goes back to Earth. Changes in character's appearances will be in my fanart collection (or, as of September 14, 2001, my non-existent online fanart archive...) soon! Things in parenthesis are usually amichan's comments.

______________________________

Hitomi sighed as she perched atop Escaflowne once more, for what reason she sighed, one will probably never figure out (in other words, amichan knows and you're not allowed to know). The soft pastel orange-red of the slowly sinking sun blankets the world as Hitomi sighed to herself again in deep thought. She stared at the sun in the distance as it quietly lowered itself and settled behind the hills afar. The sun looks so small compared to how it had seemed on Earth. How good it was to be back on Gaia again! Darkness slowly descended upon the traveling group. Hitomi yawned and her eyes reflected the glitter of what remaining sun there was. Behind that glitter was a hint of maturity and understanding that had naturally come upon her during those wonderful days in Gaia that had so drastically changed her life and view of life.

Allen looked up at Hitomi. She looked so contented now. The soft breeze blowing the grass behind her on the plains made a pretty background. It's much too late now. Hitomi's strange ways made her more attractive, somehow (Amichan: It's called NATURAL beauty, you moron...).

______________________________

"So bored... so bored..." Merle growled in a low hiss, "Oh, WHERE is Vaaan-sama?" she hissed, "I am so mad, I can just pounce."

She sees a guard nearby and bounced towards that direction with a wicked grin behind her twitching whiskers.

______________________________

Hitomi sighed , tired, and tried to shift in her seat-- if it can indeed be called a seat-- and hoped she could find a comfortable position.

... failure sucks, doesn't it?

"Hey! Be careful up there!" Van groaned as Escaflowne's balance was shaken.

Hitomi sighed again. Fujiiro would giggle, but was far too tired and sore to, so she scowled instead.

"Don't worry," Allen comforted the girls, "only over this hill here."

"Another hill!" Fujiiro moaned, "Argh!"

"I'm sorry Hitomi... I know you hate hills," Van muttered.

"And you say you're a warrior..." Allen said testily.

"I am!" Fujiiro retorted, "But--owww!"

______________________________

"See? I told you it wouldn't be long! There it is!" Van proudly pointed towards a big castle that served as King Van's residence.

"You rebuilt it," Hitomi murmered in awe.

"So I did."

"Impressive," Fujiiro agreed," especially when the rest of the country is dying!"

"I know!" Van was indignant, "I'm trying to fix that!"

"I know that," Fujiiro retorted.

"Stop arguing," Allen said, "and perhaps we'll get rest faster."

______________________________

Merle bounced up and down the halls, purposely leaving a trail for the soldier to follow. The angry soldier ran after her angrily.

"I told you not to pounce on me!" he yelled indignantly, "And you never listen!"

Merle suddenly stopped mid-track. She sniffed the air. Then again. And again.

"VAAANN-SAAMMAAAAAAAA~~~!" she screeched.

The soldier stopped to clutch his ears.

"Vaan-sama! Vaaan-sama!" Merle squealed blissfully as she bounced towards the castle gate, "He's baack!"

______________________________

"Oh..." Van groaned as he walked Hitomi to her room, "It HURTS..."

"you should've told her she can't glomp you every time she sees you," Hitomi laughed, "You were bound to get hurt sooner or later..."

"Ow..." Van moaned, " I will ban her from bouncing on to me..."

"Well... is this it?" Hitomi pointed to a door.

"Yes. Um.. I guess I'll just leave you here..."

"Are you sure you can't stay for a while?"

"Sorry. Duties waited," he sighed, and left her thoughtfully

______________________________

Hitomi sighed.

Finally she was here. In Gaia. She had thought she belonged in Earth. Now, she simply doesn't know what to think. She loved Van, yes, but she's lived on Earth all her life. Could she abandon her heritage?

______________________________

Van tossed and turned in his bed uneasily. Even after Hitomi and Fujiiro had gone to sleep late at night, many messengers came bearing news of death counts and entire villages perished. It couldn't be solved. What started the sickness? His best men were working on a cure. They have yet to find out in what form the sickness enters a body. There was long work ahead. As of the moment, Van can only hope the kingdom's population won't perish entirely before a cure was found.

Van looked out the window and saw the sun rise. He got up and dressed. There would be runners pouring in with bad news anytime now.

"Van-sama," his advisor bowed after he had dressed and got to the royal study, "Our men have confirmed that Fanelia is the only country affected so far. I have taken the liberty to set soldiers on all borders blocking any citizen trying to cross to other countries."

"Good," Van replied," I suppose it'd be best if we kept the disease within our borders."

"The men working towards the cure eliminated the possibility of the disease entering the body through the air."

"I see. Find more specialist."

"Yes, Van-sama," and the old advisor left.

A young runner, about the age of twelve, ran in fighting to catch his breath, "V-Van-sama," he croaked chokingly.

"Water," Van snapped to a servant. But the runner continued.

"Unknown enemies... North...." the runner choked, "3000 men... 50 melfs..."

"They're taking advantage of us while the illness is spreading, no doubt," Van sighed, "Prepare Escaflowne. Gather 2000 men."

"I'll go, too," Allen offered, "I'll take my men or melfs..."

"No," Van said firmly," I won't put you in danger. too."

"But you need--"

"No," Van said, leaving the room.

"Not just as an ally," Allen retorted, "But as a friend. I demand that you accept my offer."

Van stopped, and laughed. "You?" he said quietly, "my friend?"

Allen looked at Van with level eyes, "Yes."

"Aiight," Van muttered under his breath, "I guess I have to accept."

Allen smiled smugly, obviously pleased with the result of the talk.

______________________________

"But," Merle whined," you just came back! You can't leaave!"

"I must," Van said softly," It is my responsibility as king."

Merle sniffled.

"Don't cry," Van sighed, "I'll be back soon. Take good care of Hitomi."

"All right..." Merle sighed and bounced off to hunt Hitomi down.

"So sensitive and understand of you, Van, to comfort Merle like that," Allen grinned wickedly.

"I don't liek to see Merle hurt," Van grumbled.

Allen smiled and started down the hills.

______________________________

"Hitomi-chan," Merle nudged Hitomi lightly, "Hitomi-chan."

Hitomi moaned, "Why? It's so early!"

"Hitoomee..."

Hitomi sat up and rubbed her eyes, "What?"

"Vaan-samaa wanted me to tell you that he left because some army or another attacked so he went off to fight."

"What?!" Hitomi said, "What country? He left? Without me?"

______________________________

Van urged Escaflowne faster as the army thundered down the border of Fanelia. No enemy was seen Just as he was about to order the army of men and melfs around. A gash appeared on Escaflowne's arm.

Van cursed as his arm started to bleed internally. He still had that bond with Escaflowne.

"It's a cloaked army!" Allen shouted, "Defense! Defense!"

As the cloaked army began to destroy Van's army, Van desperately tried to recall what Hitomi taught him years ago.

He slashed at his right. An injured melf appeared. He slashed at it again, but it had pierced its sword deep into Escaflowne.

Van scream in agony.

He slashed at invisible enemies blindly as he struggled to save him men, to no avail. THe pain made him feel as if he was about to burst.

"Van!" Allen screamed, "Leave! Now!"

"I can't!" Van muttered, horrified, "I can't leave you here!"

"You must!" Allen screamed, "Now! Fanelia will hot live long it you died!"

A pillar of light appeared, taking Escaflowne and Van far away.

And Van stared, horrified as the scene from long ago replayed before him, the blue light nearly blinding him. He struggled to scream, but no sound came out.

And his mind called out Hitomi's name helplessly.

_______________________________________________________________

Koonnichiiwaaa Minna-san!

Thanks for reading. I was about to make this fanfic a romantic one (It still will be), but I thought that if I wanted to keep the original essence of the anime, there has to be some action. SO there it is.

Have you taken a class where they teach you about the different aspects of human conflict! This story combines lots of them: man against man (the war), man against nature (the disease), and man against self (you'll see... ^-^).

Anyhoo. Try ta find some time and e-mail me at fujiirohitomi@magicgirl.com. Jaa neee~!

Amichan