Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Fireflies ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Schu or Nagi, though I do own Yotan and Kenken. Okay, okay, I don't.

Warnings: Shonen Ai, Sap, Angst

Notes: Gift fic for Suki-chan, just because I wanted to.



Fireflies



Nagi sat on the wide stone railing, knees drawn up to his chin, back pressed against one of the stone columns that supported the roof of the porch as he stared out at the darkening yard, fireflies flashing occasionally. It had been more than a year since the final fight with Weiss, and with the money they had stashed away, Schwarz had relocated to America and had bought an old ranch in Montana. It had taken a while to fix up, since it had been abandoned for several years, but it was place they could call home.

They didn't have to work, but Brad took on a job as a stockbroker for the well off people in the area, and Nagi himself worked over the Internet as a website designer. Schuldich was writing a series of books about their past, totally unedited under the pen name Guilt. Farf didn't work at all. Surprisingly, since they had moved, gotten out of the assassination business, and settled down, he had grown progressively calmer, not to mention saner. It was rare for him to have an attack without some warning beforehand, so they all felt safe letting him run the house while they worked. It worked out perfectly.

But Nagi had to admit, it could be dull. They lived in a town that was lucky to have a population of two hundred, and the only businesses in it were the local store, the bank, and the post office. There was nothing for a teen to do unless they wanted to drive half an hour to go to the mall in the nearest city.

The teen sighed, chin resting on his knees as he stared out into the evening. Things wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't always cooped up in the house with Schuldich. He had never really noticed before, but the German was becoming more than a brother and best friend to him. It was depressing though, knowing that Schu was more interested in Brad. What made it worse though, was that Brad didn't share that interest, and never had. Since they had moved to Montana, he'd been courting a woman in town, and had proposed to her a couple days ago. Schuldich hadn't spoken to him since.

The brunette sighed again. It was childish. Schu had always known that Brad was straight, and he had chased the older man anyways. But when the inevitable happened, and Brad got engaged, the red head sulked.

A firefly winked nearby, and he smiled slightly. The sight of the little bugs always cheered him up. Their small sparks were enchanting, and he remembered hearing about children catching them in jars. The child in him longed to do the same, but he quashed the urge. What was the use catching them in airless jars, when they'd eventually die, their tiny flames going out prematurely? Nagi smiled, watching them until a rustle of cloth caught his attention.

Schuldich stood at the steps up onto the porch, hair tied back messily, a pair of reading glasses perched on top of his head in lieu for the crimson sunglasses he used to wear. The button up shirt he wore was untucked and rumpled, undone to his chest, and the belt on his pants was unbuckled. He was a mess. A bottle of vanilla cola hung from his hand, replacing the beer that Nagi was used to seeing, and a lit cigarette dangled from his lips. "Schu?"

The German glanced at him, then smiled slightly. "Hey kid. Didn't see you there."

A wry expression twisted the smile on Nagi's lips. "I'm not very noticeable, so don't feel bad." Turning his head again, the expression slipped away back to the gentle smile as he watched the fireflies. There was another rustle of cloth as Schuldich sat down across from him, back leaning against another pillar.

"You okay Nagi?"

"Yeah." They sat in silence for a while, before the cool bottom of the cola bottle nudged Nagi's arm.

"Have some kid." A smirk. "Better than getting drunk any day." The bottle switched hands, and they sat in silence again, sharing the bottle between them, before Nagi sighed, eyes closing. "Alright Nagi, what's bugging you? I know something's wrong."

The teen didn't reply immediately, sighing again as his teeth worried his lower lip. "Schu, why do you chase Brad? You know he doesn't return your feelings."

"Ja, I know. Its just, even if he doesn't admit it, there's still a chance, that somehow, he might feel the same way eventually."

"For God's sake Schu! He's getting married in two months! He loves Grace, and nothing you say or do will change that!" The outburst startled them both into silence, and the only sound for several minutes was their breathing, the soft chirping of crickets, and the occasional snort from the horses in the paddock behind the house.

"I know Nagi… Believe me, I know. You don't know how many times I've wanted to tell her about our past, just to get her away from him. But seeing them together… It's special, you know? They look so happy, and… so obviously in love. I know he'll never look at me like that, but I can't help it. I can't help wanting him, loving him as much as the tides can stop coming." He sighed, not looking at Nagi. "There's just something about him that makes me feel safe, makes me feel wanted…"

"Schuldich…" Nagi started, then trailed off, not really knowing how he wanted to word this. "I know how it feels Schu. I… I'm in the same situation, you see. I love someone, but they love someone else. For all I know, they only see me as a child who needs to be protected still."

Sympathetic eyes turned to lock with his, the green a bit dulled with resignation and disappointment that the red head hadn't been able to evade. A slight nod, then they sat in silence, just watching the fireflies and listening to the crickets.

"You should tell them."

"What?"

Schuldich sighed, taking a swig from the nearly empty bottle of cola. "You should tell the person how they feel. You never know, there may be a chance, even a small one, that they may have some feelings for you in return. If you don't… You'll never know what could have been…" He explained, blowing a plume of smoke in the air from the cigarette that he had just lit to replace the one that had burnt away. Nagi nodded, then sat silently.

"Schu?"

"Yeah?"

"It's you."

The German turned to look at him, face incredulous. "What?" Nagi didn't answer, not wanting to actually admit his feelings. "Nagi… You couldn't… Why me?"

"Because… Because I feel safe around you, protected but not smothered. You make me feel like I belong here, like I belong in this world, like I'm not just a half grown freak." Nagi's voice broke, and he fought tears as he turned to look at Schuldich. "I love you Schu. I have for a long time, but never wanted to admit it to myself. I never wanted to tell you either, because it would ruin our friendship! And now, you probably hate me for telling you this…" He finished, turning away, eyes closed against the tears he knew would fall eventually.

"Nagi… Kid…" Schuldich sighed as Nagi didn't respond. "Chibi…" Sliding across the railing, he tugged the teen into his lap, tucking Nagi's head below his chin. "Why would I hate you for that? You're my best friend, almost a little brother…"

"And that's exactly it!" Nagi pulled away, but didn't move from Schuldich's lap. "You think I'm still a little kid! I'm not anymore Schu… I'm seventeen, remember? I'm not the child who used to pass out at the slightest use of his powers anymore!" The tears spilt over, tracing crooked lines down his cheeks. "I love you, and… And I don't care if this ruins our friendship anymore, as long… "He hiccupped, trying to fights the sobs that accompanied his tears. "I don't care anymore, as long as I get to remember this…"

Schuldich's eyes widened as Nagi's lips pressed gently against his own, a chaste kiss, before the teen's mental barriers collapsed and he was flooded with a rush of emotions, thoughts and worries. The arms he had wrapped around Nagi tightened, pulling the teen closer as his tongue traced the curve of the brunette's lower lip before slipping past, stroking against Nagi's.

Pulling back, Nagi stared at the older man, eyes wide, before he looked away. "I'm sorry…"

"For what? Nagi, look at me." Schuldich tipped Nagi's face to look into the teen's eyes. "In a way, I'm sad, because we no longer have the trust that our friendship gave us." A sob escaped the brunette as he tried to escape the German's grasp. "But in more than one way, in more than a dozen, I'm glad… Because we've gained so much more." A lopsided smile curved the red head's lips as he drew Nagi close. "What the use in being miserable? I already love you as a friend, and as a younger brother of sorts… I know I could get to love you as more than that."

Midnight blue eyes widened as Nagi pulled back to look into the other's eyes. "Honto ni?"

"Honto ni." The point was emphasized with another gentle kiss. "In fact… I think I already love you, but I was too blinded with being in love with the idea of loving Brad." He said, before laughing softly. "One thing though kid."

"Yeah?"

"No sex until you're eighteen."

Nagi laughed, leaning his head on Schuldich's chest, then sighed happily as he felt the German tuck it below his chin. "Can we just sit and watch the fireflies Schu?"

"Ja. As long as you want liebe. As long as you want."

~Owari