Weiss Kreuz Fan Fiction ❯ Only at Night ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Aya ran as fast as he could up the stairs. He paused on the landing, not knowing where to go.

"Ken! Omi!" A faint, choked sob was his reply.

"Ken-kun." Omi. Turning on his heels, Aya strode in the direction of Omi's voice hoping nothing had happened. After a minute, the red head turned a corner and saw Omi kneeling on the floor. The blonde was pounding on a door weakly calling for Ken. With a feeling of dread, Aya approached his younger teammate and pulled at his shoulder.

"Omi, where's Ken?" Caught off guard, Omi jerked away from Aya and looked up at him. The tears were visible in his eyes even with the small amount of lighting. Instead of answering, Omi just swallowed and turned his attention back to the door.

"Ken....kun." Aya pushed Omi out of the way and grabbed the door handle. It took very little force to open the door; it swung easily on its hinges as Aya pushed it open further. Upon his first look in the room, Aya found nothing to be concerned about. It was Omi that drew his attention to the body on the ground as the boy knelt beside it. Hands shaking, Omi reached out and touched Ken's face. Receiving no response, Omi shook the body hard, "Ken-kun!"

Holding his breath, Aya reached down and tried to find a pulse. After searching for a bit, he stood up and turned his back to the pair. Blood trickled down Omi's chin as he bit his lip to keep from crying; his hands fisted in Ken's jacket as he chut his eyes tightly. Trying to stifle his cries, Omi bent over Ken's body and buried his face in the brunette's chest. Aya's shoulder hit the door as he slumped sideways, suddenly weary. Two teammates; they had lost two teammates to some unknown killer. Time seemed to slow down suddenly for the two remaining Weiss members. At that moment, childish laughter heard previously filled the air. Omi shuddered and held Ken's body closer while Aya tensed.

The laughter rose in pitch and volume until it took on an insane note. It slowly faded away leaving Aya and Omi alert. Not looking back, Aya told Omi, "Get downstairs. We're not safe up here." He left without waiting to see if Omi would actually follow. Only a few steps away from the room, Aya heard Omi grunt quietly and returned to see what was wrong. To Aya's surprise, Omi was trying to drag Ken. The boy's face was wet with tears, yet it was set in determination. Discreetly, Aya watched his teammate for a moment before stepping forward.

"Omi," he began softly, "Leave him..." The blonde whirled around, glaring up at Aya. Aya was taken back for a moment by the intensity that shone in Omi's eyes. Then, without warning, tears began to fall down the boy's face; lowering his head, Omi turned back around and began to pull Ken with him once more. Pausing at the door, Aya glanced back and watched Omi a moment longer. In two strides, the red head was by Omi's side and bending over to pick up Ken. Omi could only watch, stunned, as Aya left the room taking Ken's body with him. Wiping away his tears, Omi followed, shivering as he left the room.

~~~

Youji and Ken were laid out together in one of the front rooms. The moonlight waned as the night continued on; shadows flickered as the light changed direction giving the room an unearthly feeling. Aya stood in the doorway watching Omi as he removed a few of Ken's possessions. The bugnucks were removed and placed to the side just as Youji's watch and lock-picking tools had been. But, Omi also removed Ken's jacket, pulling it tightly around his own shoulders. Thinking Omi was done, Aya turned and headed back to the other room only to find out, once he entered the other room, that he wasn't being followed. Shutting his eyes tightly, Aya took a deep breath before heading back to the other room. Not too surprisingly, Omi was still there.

He was now sitting beside Ken, his knees tucked up to his chest and head resting on his knees. Aya felt at a loss; how was he supposed to deal with this? How was he supposed to help Omi? He had no idea what to do and it didn't help that they wouldn't be leaving the house for another few hours. Aya's head snapped up so quickly it hurt. Massaging his neck, Aya took off down the hall, one hand fingering the book he had found earlier. Hopefully, he would be able to find some answers to his questions.

Omi didn't notice his teammate's exit. Fighting back tears, he reached out and brushed back the hair from Ken's face. He knew he was being stupid, mourning over Ken like this. He knew that something like this would've happened sooner or later, one of them dieing on a mission, leaving the other alone. But, for some reason, no matter how much he told himself that, he couldn't stop from feeling lost. Biting his lower lip, Omi let his fingers trace Ken's face once more, trying to memorize his outline. Aya returned every once in a while, checking in on Omi, asking him questions, but Omi didn't move. Hours crept by, each one beeping out on his watch. Finally, four o'clock rolled around. The wind picked up once more, battering the house as if to break it down. Shaking the sleep out of his eyes, Omi stood up and stretched suddenly aware of how painful his sitting position had been. Aya peered into the room once more to check up on Omi.

"Omi..." he began, only to be cut off. Omi shook his head and waved his hands in front of him, a sad smile plastered on his face. The boy pulled at the leather jacket around him as if to use it to protect himself. Frowning, Aya made as if to enter the room but caught himself. Giving Omi and their teammates' bodies one last look, Aya turned and slowly walked down the hall. Moonlight fell into the room, brightening it for a moment. Rubbing at his face, Omi took stock of what was in the room for the first time. It wasn't too different from the other room; a few pieces of furniture, a cabinet full of statues and plates, and a few pictures. The only thing that really jumped out at Omi was the large mirror on the wall. Curious, Omi walked up to the mirror and took a look at it.

It was in perfect condition. The metal was hardly tarnished and the glass wasn't ruined by any spots or cracks. It was a gorgeous mirror and probably a fairly old one, too. Omi ran his fingers around the frame, admiring the craftsmanship. A soft cry escaped his lips, though, as he looked into the mirror once more. Pressing his back against the wall, Omi's eyes darted around the room searching out the figure he had seen. Trembling, Omi pushed himself off the wall and stood in front of the mirror once more. Taking a breath, he looked up and stared at the glass. Just as before, Ken stood behind Omi, staring at him with a sad smile. Omi was frozen to the spot, too scared to move and destroy the moment. Ever so casually, Ken approached Omi, a hand running through his dark locks to straighten them. Omi let out a shuddering breath as he watched his dead lover place an arm around his shoulder, their faces extremely close.

They stood like that for a moment, watching as the moonlight glinted off the mirror, hiding them for a moment before disappearing. Ken buried his face in Omi's neck and Omi closed his eyes, trying to make the moment more real. Slowly opening his eyes, Omi watched as Ken smiled at him. The smile faded from Ken's face as they looked at each other. Omi kept his eyes on Ken as he opened his mouth. Biting his lip once more, Omi watched as Ken mouthed 'I'm sorry'. Tears threatened to spill down Omi's face once more, but he fought them off. Leaning in to Omi, Ken mouthed to him once more, telling the blonde that he loved him.

"Ken-kun..." Omi replied, reaching up to place his hand over Ken's. The older boy smiled again and seemed about to tell Omi something else. Whatever it was Ken wanted to say, Omi didn't see. Aya came nearly running into the room at that moment quickly searching out Omi. Omi turned to watch Aya, startled by his entrance. Gasping, Omi quickly looked back in the mirror, looking for Ken. But Ken was no longer there; Omi just stared back at himself in disbelief.

"Omi!" Aya's voice interrupted the blonde's thoughts, "Do you have any explosives with you?" Numbly, Omi nodded, "Good. Line the house with them."

Confused, Omi did as he was told. Aya followed the younger boy wherever he went, always looking about each room they were in. It only took a few minutes to place the explosives and the moment Omi had finished, Aya grabbed the boy's arm and began pulling him out of the house. It was only once they were outside the house that Omi started to fight back, trying to pull himself out of Aya's grip.

"Omi. When we get to the cars, blow up the house." A hoarse cry escaped Omi and he was finally able to pull free of Aya. The two remaining Weiss members faced each other in the dim moonlight, the unsettling silence once more falling over the scene. Omi shook his head violently, pulling at the jacket around him. Twisting his head to look over his shoulder, Omi glanced at the house before turning back to Aya. Looking away, the red head let his shoulders slump, "We can't take them, Omi. We don't have anywhere to put them and there's not enough room in Seven. We have to leave them here."

Crying out, Omi ran to Aya and looked him in the eye. Aya refused to look at him, though, turning his head to the side. Omi's arms fell to his side, limp, as he looked back at the house once more. Closing his eyes, the blonde took a quick breath before turning and heading for Ken's bike. Omi rubbed at his face fiercely as he held the switch in his hand, waiting for Aya. The sound of Seven's engine starting cut through the night like a gun report. Omi waited until Aya had driven a little bit away before following. He stopped at the edge of the forest and took one last look at the house. His finger traced the button for just a moment before he pressed it, setting the building on fire in an amazing blast. Pulling Ken's jacket more tightly around him, Omi revved up the bike's engine and took off down the road, not looking back once.

The dust was just beginning to settle as the moon disappeared behind the clouds once more. The fire consuming the house flickered dangerously for a moment although there was no wind. Slowly, the blaze went out leaving the house as it had been; not one piece of wood had been damaged by the blast. Just as the lights from the vehicles vanished over the last hill, the door to the house slammed shut.

~~~

AN: Ok, I am posting this just to let people know that I have finally moved all my stuff. Everything is currently at MediaMiner.org and also, some is hosted at Portia's page. The link for that is in my profile. If anyone wishes to contact me about anything, I'm able to be reached at the IM's provided and my email works as well ^_^ Hope you enjoyed the fic….the idea was much better in my head ^^;;